Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Apartments at 61 Duncan Ave?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Glenwood and do walk around Bergen Ave at night.
No problems encountered. Just be watchful. No incidents with our car either. In fact, my husband keeps it unlocked after it was broken into 3 times in 6 months by Hamilton Park. Now in over a year up in McG-Square no issues. Plus we have a way nicer apartment. A few sit-down restaurants are creeping into the area though it's mostly take out. There are a few places to nab a beer up here but we mostly go downtown and recently discovered the very chill Mojo Bar in Greenville.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjh1982 wrote:
This is a fantastic thread, as I'm looking at places in the area, too.

There is one off of Vroom and Jordan that seems interesting. Is it safe to say since it's closer to Journal Square and north of the college it's not too bad?

I know no matter urban area you're in, you have to look out. I lived off of Danforth. Been there, done that. :)

i used to live on summit off of vroom...the only problem i had there was my car window getting smashed and the guy who used to pee on our porch on friday night. we had a 2 bedroom with a yard, living room, dining room, eat in kitchen with lots of closets and heat included for $1200. i used to come home from work at 4:30 and hardly went out though and it worked for me. now that i live downtown i hibernate less but i do miss the large apartment and the yard.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 8:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/27 23:46
Group:
Registered Users
This is a fantastic thread, as I'm looking at places in the area, too.

There is one off of Vroom and Jordan that seems interesting. Is it safe to say since it's closer to Journal Square and north of the college it's not too bad?

I know no matter urban area you're in, you have to look out. I lived off of Danforth. Been there, done that. :)

Posted on: 2011/10/27 5:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:

srg1 wrote:

Do you send your kids to the local public schools?

yes--the public charter school. And I have friends who have their kids in the local public school. Would I have done that if the lottery didn't work out? Maybe. But there's a very good and reasonably priced private school on Bergen (gasp!!), that I would have had no problem enrolling my kids into.

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

I know that area of Jersey City and many more areas, for many more years than you have.

Whoopee, so you're older than me. Question is, do you live here currently. No, you don't. So once again, your response is based on here say or the simple notion that because you were born and raised somewhere in jersey city, you are the end all and be all of what neighborhood is decent.

Oh yea ya got me, I'm sure the neighborhood changed drastically the past 2 years.............. how do you do the rolls eyes face?

Posted on: 2011/10/26 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:

srg1 wrote:

yes--the public charter school. And I have friends who have their kids in the local public school. Would I have done that if the lottery didn't work out? Maybe. But there's a very good and reasonably priced private school on Bergen (gasp!!), that I would have had no problem enrolling my kids into.

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

I know that area of Jersey City and many more areas, for many more years than you have.

Whoopee, so you're older than me. Question is, do you live here currently. No, you don't. So once again, your response is based on here say or the simple notion that because you were born and raised somewhere in jersey city, you are the end all and be all of what neighborhood is decent.

Oh yea ya got me, I'm sure the neighborhood changed drastically the past 2 years.............. how do you do the rolls eyes face?

Posted on: 2011/10/26 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Don't worry Chris, I got your digits, i am holler at ya wink wink hehehehehe...

Holla Back -- Funny! and if you Google his phone number you just get jclist and this page:

================================

Joe Budden Forums - Threads Tagged with 201-205-0912
www.joebuddentv.com ? Joe Budden Forums ? Tags

Threads Tagged with 201-205-0912. Thread / Forum.

201-205-0912, call 4 a good time Here's My Offer To You . ...

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Posted on: 2011/10/26 21:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/26 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Duncan Avenue, and have lived there for 30 years. 61 Duncan is a very nice building. Yes, you have to be careful, but that is true in any city. I've come home late at night on the bus from NY or from Journal Square. My sister has a dog which she walks, and she is a senior citizen. No, my son did not go to the local public school. However, I did not expect him to. He did attend a private school on Duncan and Bergen, which unfortunately is no longer there. I did not attend public school either when I grew up in Manhattan. Kennedy Blvd is busy during the day with several schools, charter, private, and 2 Catholic HS's in the neighborhood, and of course St. Peter's College. No, there is not a lot of night life for single folks, nor linen tablecloth restaurants, nor a high priced place for Latte, but there is a food store that delivers, a fine dry cleaner, and a good green grocer. You most likely do want to go out to other areas for that entertainment (especially if you are young, which obviously I am not. However, the neighbors look out for each other, people say hello to each other on the street, and generally you should have no problem. Sure, the closer you are to Kennedy, the better (and that is true whether you are talking toward Bergen , or towards West Side.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Past and present might I add.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:
So your gettin at that whole" it could happen any where"bs huh? Yea well guess what your odds are a lot higher in the Duncan/Bergen area.

And let me guess, you don't live anywhere near here.
Here we go again. Really, the only reason I check this site is to make sure that if anyone posts anything about this part of town, that they are getting an honest portrayal of the area, based on people who actually live here and not people who base everything they know from what they read in the jersey journal, here say, or from what they remember from the eighties.
I live here, I own here, and I am raising two happy young kids with my husband here. I grew up in a small wealthy town in north jersey, and I hated it. There was absolutely no diversity, both economically and culturally, and no sense of community. My kids will have a healthy understanding of the world they live in. There are plenty of decent people here, with money and without.
We have great neighbors, the kind that watch your property, help with house stuff and our kids are all very close to each other. I don't live in a bubble. I live knowing that I live in a city that has it's crime, and while I long for a good coffee shop/restaurant, I have all my basic necessities met, without having to drive everywhere. I walk/ride my bike to the path for work, so I am lucky enough to take advantage of what NYC has that JC does not. In the eleven years I've lived here, I have not been broken into, have not had my car stolen, have not been mugged, have not feared for my life. I am a small female and walk/bike home from the train in the evenings everyday. When it is late, I take a cab. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:
So your gettin at that whole" it could happen any where"bs huh? Yea well guess what your odds are a lot higher in the Duncan/Bergen area.

Here we go again. Really, the only reason I check this site is to make sure that if anyone posts anything about this part of town, that they are getting an honest portrayal of the area, based on people who actually live here and not people who base everything they know from what they read in the jersey journal, here say, or from what they remember from the eighties.
I live here, I own here, and I am raising two happy young kids with my husband here. I grew up in a small wealthy town in north jersey, and I hated it. There was absolutely no diversity, both economically and culturally, and no sense of community. My kids will have a healthy understanding of the world they live in. There are plenty of decent people here, with money and without.
We have great neighbors, the kind that watch your property, help with house stuff and our kids are all very close to each other. I don't live in a bubble. I live knowing that I live in a city that has it's crime, and while I long for a good coffee shop/restaurant, I have all my basic necessities met, without having to drive everywhere. I walk/ride my bike to the path for work, so I am lucky enough to take advantage of what NYC has that JC does not. In the eleven years I've lived here, I have not been broken into, have not had my car stolen, have not been mugged, have not feared for my life. I am a small female and walk/bike home from the train in the evenings everyday. When it is late, I take a cab. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i walk dogs primarily in that area...quite a few on duncan ave. the only problem i have up there is the few nosey neighbors who try to peg someone elses dog poop on me (i carry bags and pick up the poop.) other than that, it's generally very busy during the daytime hours and you see a ton of commuters and school kids going from place to place.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2011/10/26 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

badgirlsclub wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Ummmm Duncan between JFK and Bergen is about 200 ft from where the officer was shot and killed in a shootout on Reed and Bergen. This is nice to you? In that case the op should look into all of greenville too, throw in every bad area of Newark while we're at it too.

Google "paulus hook murder". This is nice to you?

Posted on: 2011/10/25 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yea you will basically live in a bubble. One block in any direction and its a different story. Seems like a good way to live. Just gonna go out on the limb and say most of you own property in the area.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 23:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/26 20:04
Group:
Registered Users
That area is fine. I've been there many, many times -- one friend lives on the corner of JFK and Duncan, two others just East of JFK.

Like anywhere else in Jersey City, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be just fine. The block is completely safe.

As another poster commented, though, when you go further down Bergen it gets a little sketchy, but the block or two from Montgomery is just fine.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 21:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/13 22:03
From see profile name
Group:
Registered Users
I own a property on Duncan between JFK and Bergen, and lived there for a year. My block was quiet, tree-lined, and with well-maintained properties. In the time I lived there, I didn't experience any problems. I'm a male, but had no problems walking back from the PATH train, even late at night. Having lived in cities the majority of my life, if you have street smarts, you'll have no problems.

While the Reed street shootout was a bit disconcerting, that could have happened nearly anywhere, and I wouldn't look at it as a reason not to move to the area. The only problem, as other posters have brought up, is that there really aren't any cool bars/restaurants in the area withing walking distance. It's not going to have the amenities downtown has anytime soon, but I can imagine that in time, gentrification might start to impact the McGinley Square area.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 15:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a 45-year-old woman who has lived on Duncan between Bergen and Kennedy since July 2010, and so far I've had no problems. I feel quite comfortable walking from the PATH until 8 pm or so; after that, I take a cab.

I've found the block to be VERY friendly--lots of young families as well as people who have lived there for decades. Residents sit out on the stoops in warm weather and keep an eye on things.

Overall, the McGinley-Lincoln Park area is really mixed. There are some blocks I don't like to walk down even in daylight. (Like the block of Reed where the shootout occurred two years ago.) Bergen gets increasingly sketchy as you go south. There are other blocks lined wth gorgeous, well-maintained houses that feel almost suburban. As in any city neighborhood, you have to be watchful and trust your instincts: If a street feels creepy, don't go down it.

The biggest downside in the area is the lack of appealing restaurants and other amenities. There's not much to create the kind of law-abiding foot traffic at night that helps make the neighborhood safer.

Honestly, I'm not sure this neighborhood would have worked for me when I was in my 20s and went out at night a lot more than I do now. If you're the sort of person who likes to head out around 10 to hit the bars, this may not be the neighborhood for you. But if you tend to do your socializing after work and then head home, you should be fine.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
My section of Greenville near Princeton and Danforth is quite and safe. This is nice to me.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 12:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
are you out of your mind ? when the Duncan projects were demolished all the project indigents were distributed all throughout that nabe Bergen ave is extremely dangerous all times of the day . Get it out of your head .its real nasty . you will be victimized fogeddaboutit

Posted on: 2011/10/25 11:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Ummmm Duncan between JFK and Bergen is about 200 ft from where the officer was shot and killed in a shootout on Reed and Bergen. This is nice to you? In that case the op should look into all of greenville too, throw in every bad area of Newark while we're at it too.

Google "paulus hook murder". This is nice to you?

Posted on: 2011/10/25 2:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:38
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I moved to Duncan between Bergen/JFK in 2008 and it's been fine. My wife (girlfriend at the time we moved in) are both 26 and haven't had any issues (been living here since we're 22 out of college)

Jersey City is a city, just like any other. Keep your head up, be smart, you won't have any issues in my opinion. The block itself does have a TON of families. I have no issues walking on Bergen/JFK - my wife prefers to take the bus, doesn't like the catcalls she'll get on Bergen. The public transportation is great.

She gets home late some nights and I park with her, but I see plently of woman ages 20-30 out at night, I just would agree with the prior poster to take a cab back from journal square if it's dark out ($6 ride w/ tip).

St. Peters community gym membership is real cheap too if you're looking for a place to work out.

Let me know if you have any other questions

P.S. just read back my post, we actually both did have minor issues with our cars - mine was broken into but the only thing that was taken was a bag of change, probably a junkie, and I left the window cracked (again, I was acquiring my street smarts). My wife's mirror was taken off her car, however, still not sure why her car was targeted, or if some asshole just knocked it off

Posted on: 2011/10/25 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I have been living in McGinley Sq. since 2000. The block between jfk and bergen in particular is really great. There are TONS of really nice families that live on Duncan who are active members of the community. St. Dom's is on the same street and a couple of blocks down you have St. Peter's. As long as you use your common sense you will be fine here. Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/10/24 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dntshootthepianist wrote:
...my wife goes running 3 days a week in lincoln park early in the morning and has never had any trouble. for full disclosure's sake, she does take our dog running with her...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/10/24 10:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Don't worry Chris, I got your digits, i am holler at ya wink wink hehehehehe...

Posted on: 2011/10/23 23:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/23 22:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all so much for the tips and advice. It has all been very helpful. I'm glad I found this forum

For the record, yes, it is weird to post your phone number to an open forum....which is why I will not be taking you up on your offer, Chris. Thanks for the offer if you meant well, but I'm certain I have what I need.

Thanks again, everyone!

Posted on: 2011/10/23 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Am i the only one who thinks posting your number out in the open is not the smoothest of moves?

I am glad people are giving you good, solid advice on their experience.

My cousins lived a few blocks...from St. Doms....i think the actual block had a community bank in a really nice old building. They moved a few years back...because they did not feel safe.

But it sounds like this neighborhood has improved...so glad to hear it.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 22:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/23 21:31
Group:
Registered Users
hello miss,I live around the corner from where you are wanting to move,I wouldnt mine showing you around the area,I can tell you what streets not to go on and what streets are pretty safe...I have lived here for 4 years now so I have never had an issue with anyone in particular.If you want to call me so I can better help you understand the area please feel free to

Chris -201-205-0912

Posted on: 2011/10/23 21:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
You'd be right near St. Dominics, Hudson Catholic, and Saint Peter's College. I work in this area, and I don't find it too scary--there are a lot of students around. If you are coming back from the Path alone late at night, you may want to consider a taxi.
If you do end up moving, I recommend Duncan Hardware, which is on Westside and Duncan for things you may need. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Lincoln Park has nice tennis courts, if you play. St. Adaens is a beautiful domed Catholic church on Bergen. There are many nice buildings in this area.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 18:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017