Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Remember when parking on Central was easy? Remove Parking Pay Stations Now!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, what a waste of time and money to reinstall antiquated meters. Good job. This is why Jersey City can't have nice things.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:30

Re: Remember when parking on Central was easy? Remove Parking Pay Stations Now!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed the old meters are coming back on Central Ave. Looks like the majority have been re-installed.

What is old is new again....

Posted on: 2013/2/19 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Old-fashioned parking meters returning to Broadway in Bayonne, officials say

January 31, 2012, 9:35 AM
By Kate Kowsh/The Jersey Journal

BAYONNE ? After a six-month trial run for parking pay stations along Broadway between 22nd and 23rd streets, Bayonne city officials say they getting rid of the modern machines and bringing back old-fashioned parking meters.

?The former Parking Authority was interested in seeing whether the pay stations could help provide more parking space while reducing costs,? Mayor Mark Smith said in a statement.

?The people made it clear that they did not like having to return to their cars to place receipts in their windows. We decided to listen to the people and return to the former meters.?

Pay stations, which accept coins or credit cards, require users to collect a receipt from the machine and then place that receipt, showing the expiration time, on the driver?s side of the dashboard.

Several cities, including Hoboken and New York, have expanded use of parking stations in recent years, believing more vehicles get to park, which in turns brings in more revenue.

Bayonne city officials couldn?t immediately provide revenue comparisons between the parking meters and pay stations.

In August, officials at the Bayonne Town Center launched a campaign to remove the pay stations along Broadway. The campaign included collecting letters of complaints from merchants and amassing a petition with roughly 700 signatures demanding the city remove them.

?We?re really glad they?re gone, we did not like them,? BTC executive director Mary Divock said yesterday. ?It might work in other towns, but . . . it just doesn?t work here. We?re a community of young families and seniors.?

In all, 21 parking meters have again been installed on both sides of the street along Broadway and the pay stations have all been removed. Motorists were back to plunking coins in meters yesterday.

?It?s better than the pay stations,? Bayonne resident Monica Enriquez said as she parked at a parking meter on Broadway yesterday afternoon. ?You have to go look for the pay station and put the money and all of that, and it?s easier to just get out and put the money there (in the meter).?

Business owners also welcomed back the meters.

?This makes it a lot easier for our customers,? said Vito Palmieri, co-owner of Pompei Pizza, 480 Broadway. ?Especially the older customers, it was a little hard for them to walk back and forth. A lot of them didn?t know how to use the machine so that made it difficult for them and they were getting tickets a lot of times.?

Posted on: 2012/1/31 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken is removing all of the old meters by the end of the year. They decided that the multi meter pay stations were working very well. Too bad some people can't read in this city!

Posted on: 2011/10/26 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the parking authority can get replacement meters on the cheap from any of the surrounding towns that realized how silly it was to be collecting coin boxes from hundreds of individual meters.

I'm sure its really very cost effective to have a public salaried, pension increasing city employee walking up and down the street every day to collect the money out of those little meter boxes rather than making a few stops at machines with much larger receptacles.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
so now the parking authority goes deeper in the hole to bring the old meters back? What a waste! I had a problem only once with the new meters, when the two closest ones were broken. That was a long time ago.

Have people in Hoboken been complaining about their meters? They work pretty much the same way, except the parking spaces aren't numbered.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Capitulation to the idiot masses fail.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Old-style parking meters will return to Central Avenue after shoppers and business owners protest new models

Published: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 3:03 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City Parking Authority plans to replace the parking meters on Central Avenue in response to complaints from shoppers and business owners who claim the meters repeatedly malfunction and discourage local commerce.

The meters, which were installed in early 2008, are unimeter-style devices like the kind seen in midtown Manhattan. They replaced 200 older-style meters like those seen throughout Jersey City.

JCPA Executive Director Mary Paretti said she hopes to have the old-style parking meters back on the strip by early 2012, and possibly move the unimeter-style devices to other parts of the city. Paretti said the newer meters are operable, but she decided to replace them with the older meters because the constant complaints have become a ?headache.?

For weeks, business owners and shoppers have been emailing JCPA and city officials demanding a return to the older meters, alleging the newer meter system ?punishes shoppers for staying local.? A group of about six people protested the newer meters at the JCPA last month.

According to Paretti, the newer meters do indeed work, but shoppers weren?t always using them correctly.

?One of the major issue is people weren?t reading the instructions,? Paretti said.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 16:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
These are the same people who refuse to shop at the Sunday Farmer's Market. You should hear some of their reasoning for not supporting it.

So pray tell pookie2000, What is their reasoning for not supporting the Farmer's Market?

Posted on: 2011/9/24 14:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
These parking meters are all over the state of NJ and only the old timers in the Heights have a problem with them. I don't have a problem with them at all.

This is all because Michael Yun wants that job at the JCPA. Michael you are not qualified for the position!!!

No matter what type of system the JCPA uses, these people will find a reason to complain.

These are the same people who refuse to shop at the Sunday Farmer's Market. You should hear some of their reasoning for not supporting it.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
It's easier to not hold any digits in your head. It's less signs, less road markings, less everything. Why add in an additional layer of nonsense when we could just have a system like the NYC muni-meters? Why spend a bunch of money on a wireless device that doesn't work properly when the meter maid is going to have to get out of the tricycle anyway?

What if you mis-type your number? What if someone else mis-typed their number? What if someone spray paints over the sign? It's not about whether I've got enough brains to hold 4 digits in my head for 10 seconds, it's about ease of use. It's an unnecessarily complicated feature.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Why don't they just print out slips of paper like the NYC ones? That way you don't have to write down parking spot numbers and deal with stupid crap like that. I can't imagine it's much easier for the meter maids to deal with either.

You can't hold 4 digits in your head and walk a few feet? As for the JCPA, I believe they don't even have to get out of their vehicle, they have a wireless device screen which shows which spot are currently paid for. Car in an unpaid spot=ticket.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't they just print out slips of paper like the NYC ones? That way you don't have to write down parking spot numbers and deal with stupid crap like that. I can't imagine it's much easier for the meter maids to deal with either.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As a heights resident who shops a lot on Central I have NEVER felt intimidated by the new meters. EVER!.

I drive to Central at least 2x week. I walk there at least as much. Never do I have an issue parking. And not once have I received an undeserved ticket.

CASID, I admire your organization and your Avenue. It is a wonderful place to get life's basics. So many wonderful and inexpensive vegetable stands, Stop & Shop, at least 3 shoe stores (2 of which appear to be locally owned), ample eating, Drugstores, a superb bakery (Goehrings) etc etc etc.

I totally agree with others posting above. If you are blaming these meters for a downturn in business, I feel you are missing something. I just cannot imagine they are causing you and your fellow shop keepers to loose customers. Personally I think you would do better by focusing attention to something else in improving your profit margins and your district.
Respectfully!

Posted on: 2011/9/22 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I think that at the end of the day, if you're concerned about metered parking, you're probably missing the bigger picture. Your customer base is walking distance.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 0:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
CASID............
The differences between the red and white signs are a as clear as Crystal!!!! If you park in the red sign area you have a 40 minute max. If you park in the white sign area you have a 2 hr max. I hate to tell you , Sir or Ma'am, have you noticed the red meter heads and the grey meter heads??? The same rules still apply!!!! 40 min for a red meter head and 2 hr for the grey meter head!!!!\

Honestly what is your arguement for getting rid of these pay stations?? It cant be the ones you have stated It has to be more then that! Is it that people arent spending money on Central ave ? Read the paper/watch the news , people are not spending !! They may not have much to spend!!

Yes central ave was once a place for people to spend the day shopping. I do remember that so before you say something that you know nothing about, I have been around there when Chet and John ran Kozak paint, The Al Rocky Music instrument shop just off Bleeker st, , the best Crumb cake from Havemeyers, Kings furniture store and Herberts furniture store , Torchios butcher shop (the saw dust all over the floor) which was run by a lady named Ann, Myers Ice cream shop owned by Mike Dee, Sal and Millies luncheonette "Our Place" next door to Ralphie and Lorettas fruit market, The italian deli which was run by Rita and Joe, yes the same as the owners "Rita and Joes " on broadway. Eagle beef owned by , Meyers Baby store next to Mays cleaners which was owned by the Wadleigh family for 50 years, Woodlawn Meatmarket owned by Sonny. I went to school with Stanleys son from Stanley Butcher shop before his accident where he lost his hand .... I can go on and on so PLEASE do not insult me or anyone else in that area or from that area.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
CASID,,,,

Thats your point? Thats the reason? People have to actually pay attention to what they are doing so not to get a ticket? Are you serious!!!!!! Get off the damn phone for a minute and read the machine!! Stop yapping for 30 seconds and take care of the machine!!! Yes pay attention to your child but .............if your responsible for a Life or 2 or 3 you can remember to use the machine properly!!! Im taking a guess that you own a business on Central ave. Id like to know which one so that if I am a customer of yours I stop going there due to you believing that your customers arent smart enough to do 2 things at once.
Im sorry to all, I dont mean to offend but CASID cant be serious.

I take it that you don't know who CASID is.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brew...
I agree with you, I should have typed my thoughts/opinion more clearly.

Yes its bad for the businesses but better for the areas like by the courthouse , even though it may effect the Newark ave businesses , that location it would be better. That is until the courts provide parking. Where I used my cell to put money in the meter was in an industrial/ large office complex area , like most now didnt provide parking except for meter parking.

CASID,,,,

Thats your point? Thats the reason? People have to actually pay attention to what they are doing so not to get a ticket? Are you serious!!!!!! Get off the damn phone for a minute and read the machine!! Stop yapping for 30 seconds and take care of the machine!!! Yes pay attention to your child but .............if your responsible for a Life or 2 or 3 you can remember to use the machine properly!!!

Im taking a guess that you own a business on Central ave. Id like to know which one so that if I am a customer of yours I stop going there due to you believing that your customers arent smart enough to do 2 things at once.

Im sorry to all, I dont mean to offend but CASID cant be serious.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
The thought of going backwards is insane. With these paystations there are so many posibilities. In was just recently on a trip and I was able to put money on the meter by using a cell phone.

I googled the types of meters and found that they ,probably, could be updated to accepting some type of remote payment options. They should be put downtown so the people could feed the meter when needed from their desks and dont have to leave work , run to the car and put quarters in it.

Im taking a guess the people who want the 1950s meters back never served jury duty. Has anyone else spent time in the courthouse on jury duty, watch the clock, run to the car 15 min late and have a ticket on the car. The paystations would be great there

If im not mistaken the ones on Central ave were put in about 4 or 5 years ago. Im sure they couldnt be cheap so what would you have the PA do? Junk them? Talk about a waste of money. Please PA keep moving forward!

Id like to know the reason behind this, anyone have an idea?

Actually, I disagree with the idea of remote refill. Meters should be for transient parking, not commuter or all day parking. When I want to patronize a restaurant on Grove for lunch while running errands in the car, I can rarely get a legal meter spot because they're occupied by people parking in them all day like you describe. Clearly that's bad for the businesses.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 16:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/19 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Can you tell the difference between parking in a red vs white parking space under the pay station system on Central Avenue?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Here is one of the Parking Pay Stations on Central Avenue.

Can you figure out what is the first step? Clue: when do you punch in the numbers for your space?

Did you catch that the screen says "Please use other machine" which is a block away. This happens quite often. When a meter was broken only one person is inconvenienced. When a pay station is broken. every person parking on that block is inconvenienced.

BTW, did you also catch that NO CHANGE is given?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Progress is good. But let be clear, the parking pay stations on Central Avenue is anything but that. It would seem most of you are speaking to the pay stations in New York and may not have a full appreciation for the system hand picked by the Jersey City Parking Authority.

Please note, the pay stations on Central Avenue have changed directions over the past three years. Observe:

1. You do have to display the recite on the passenger side dash board now (when first installed, this was not required).

2. They can no longer tell electronically whether the space is paid for. (again, this function was part of the original system. The problem was a five minute back log from when you purchased time as to when it registered electronically with the meter maid. Many people where ticketed incorrectly in this five minute window.)

3. This system does not allow room for growth/ upgrades. Paying with credit cards and cell phones would mean having to purchase a completely new, and more expensive, model of the pay stations.

Yes, it is not rocket science. However, being distracted by a cell phone, casual conversation with a passing friend, or handling a small child while using the pay stations can become a $30 mistake.

Shopping locally should be something simple, routine, fun and encouraged to do. The feed back we receive is that the parking pay stations do not do this. We are all for progress on Central Avenue but this is not it.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Also, Central Avenue isn't hard up because of parking meters. Central Avenue is hard up because the money in Jersey City gravitated towards the downtown while simultaneously fewer households downtown have cars.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 13:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I use these all the time. I cannot imagine what the fuss is over, in my opinion they are better than the old meters.
You do not have to display the receipt.

I actually think the NYC type where you have to display the receipt is a little better, it gives more parking spaces than having the assigned spaces like the type of system JC has.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 13:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The thought of going backwards is insane. With these paystations there are so many posibilities. In was just recently on a trip and I was able to put money on the meter by using a cell phone.

I googled the types of meters and found that they ,probably, could be updated to accepting some type of remote payment options. They should be put downtown so the people could feed the meter when needed from their desks and dont have to leave work , run to the car and put quarters in it.

Im taking a guess the people who want the 1950s meters back never served jury duty. Has anyone else spent time in the courthouse on jury duty, watch the clock, run to the car 15 min late and have a ticket on the car. The paystations would be great there

If im not mistaken the ones on Central ave were put in about 4 or 5 years ago. Im sure they couldnt be cheap so what would you have the PA do? Junk them? Talk about a waste of money. Please PA keep moving forward!

Id like to know the reason behind this, anyone have an idea?

Posted on: 2011/9/21 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
CASID. What are they complaining about? I like the fact that I can pull into a space and not have a broken meter and have to find another spot. The only thing I now object to is having to walk back to the car and put the stub in the window.

I agree, and I thought you didn't have to put the receipt in the window, they can tell electronically whether the space is paid for. In NYC there are no designated spaces so you do have to put the receipt in the window.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
progress is good

Posted on: 2011/9/20 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the meters served a good purpose for locking up a bicycle, plus they had one in front of every store.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
except for the one time I had both of the closest pay stations broken, the stations worked pretty well. My only real beef with them is that they make you put in a quarter first before they will accept smaller denomination coinage.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CASID wrote:
Three years after the installation of the parking pay station machines on Central Avenue, businesses and shoppers continue to express their extreme dissatisfaction with the system. The feedback we persistently receive from end-users indicates that this parking management system still does not effectively address the needs of the Avenue and undermines efforts to operate a successful business in Jersey City.

For this reason, the CASID is requesting your assistance in a campaign to remove the pay stations once and for all and return the coin meter heads. The CASID did meet with JCPA?s CEO on this issue in April 2011 without results. Since that meeting, the JCPA has NOT taken any action or provided a meaningful timeline implicating the issue has been postponed indefinitely.

Join the campaign, sign the online petition now (www.JCheights.com) and an email will be automatically delivered to City officials. Have something you want to say to the JCPA? Email a video/ youtube link to parking@jcheights.com

CASID. What are they complaining about? I like the fact that I can pull into a space and not have a broken meter and have to find another spot. The only thing I now object to is having to walk back to the car and put the stub in the window.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 21:58

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017