Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Can we get some trash cans!?!?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blockwatcher wrote:
City ordinance states that they only have to have one within a 1/4 mile radius.

Tried to get more put in on monmouth where all the HS kids trash the street during lunch but honestly, the pigs in this city won't use a bin even if its right in front of them.

So true. Some of the lowlife parents around JC have taught their children well. "Ewww it's dirty, drop it on the sidewalk". There are several cans around the HP basketball court and it still gets trashed everyday.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
There used to be more, but because some of the trash that lives in this city thinks it's somehow appropriate to deposit their household garbage in the public cans, they'd fill up too quick, so the city removed them rather than have them emptied more often.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 2:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/19 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
We emailed our City Councilman about 2 or 3 years ago when they took a bunch out on Jersey Ave by 4th, 6th, etc and we were told that the city was conducting a study and once they were done, a determination would be made on whether to put the trash cans back. I guess they determined they weren't needed?!?

Posted on: 2011/9/11 2:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
City ordinance states that they only have to have one within a 1/4 mile radius.

Tried to get more put in on monmouth where all the HS kids trash the street during lunch but honestly, the pigs in this city won't use a bin even if its right in front of them.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 1:21

Can we get some trash cans!?!?!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/30 1:59
Group:
Registered Users
So what is up with the trash everywhere? It's all over the streets. I am sure that someone has thought of this before but TRASH CANS would help - why aren't there any trash cans on Palisade in the Heights?

Posted on: 2011/9/11 0:37

Re: Garbage in the streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
The cans overflow because dirtbag residents illegally dump their household trash in the public cans rather than just put it out on their blocks assigned trash day AND the JCIA skipping days they are regularly assigned to pick up the public cans. If the cans are not picked up everyday they will overflow. It's a Partnership for a Dirtier/Stinkier Jersey City...shameful!

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I blame the dog owners and the basketball players.
jk

While I do notice trash from time to time, I do think HP is better than a lot of urban areas. and yes, the trash cans are not emptied enough, esp during the warm months.

The guy at Christos (bodega at 8th and coles) says some McNair HS students specifically ask for bags for their pizza/sodas or whatever and promptly go outside and throw the bag on the sidewalk in front.

good opportunity to say thanks to all the Hamilton park volunteers.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of it is total disregard for the neighborhoods where people live and/or spend their time. Punk kids and irresponsible adults that just don?t understand the concept of personal responsibility.

I used to mow the lawn for a religious organization out in Montclair and I would always find beer cans and chip bags and other crap in the grass. Once I saw some high schooler leave a bag full of Chinese food trash on the grass right in front of me! I scolded her to pick it up, which she did, and then promptly threw in the next yard over. Some #OOPS#ing people.

However, I think a large part of it is overflowing public trash cans. I?m not sure how they accumulate so much trash, but every other week I see that every single trash can on Jersey Ave is overflowing to the point that stuff is falling over the sides and into the street, and the entire area stinks. I?m not sure if it?s because of people dumping personal trash in there, or if the JCIA doesn?t clean up enough. Either way, hopefully the new solar compactors will help remedy that situation somewhat.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Best thing to do is to grab some rubber gloves and a trash bag and pick it up yourself, because nobody else will. I'm also tired of the garbage and cleaning up after my neighbors. I've tried everything leaving notes on doors, talking to the neighbors and finally leaving trash bags on doorsteps so people get the message. However the people just don't care at least not on my block. So I've given up and decided to clean up the area around my house on garbage nights. I just bring an extra bag down when I take out my trash and clean up for 10 minutes.
Btw the worst offenders on my block are not the JC old timers and kids, even if they do create some trash they clean up after themselves in the morning. The worst offenders are the new breed of yuppies coming to JC who move into buildings that have no super. They leave thier trash out at the wrong times or put thier trash infront of other buildings thinking it's all going to the same place. For example we are one of the few houses on the block with trees in front of it. so all the neighboring buildings put their trash in front of our building around the trees. It's like instinct or something. Yesterday I came outside in the morning to find a pile of boxes that were not picked up on trash night. Luckily they had an address on them, so I just put the boxes on their doorstep.
Anyway like I said before best thing to do is not get frustrated and treat it like you're doing some community service for the neighborhood and just clean it up yourself.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 13:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/1 20:58
Group:
Registered Users
Its all of the above that you mention and school kids just showing total disregard to the neighborhood that they may or may not be living in ...
If there is a way to file an official complain at the school (McNair, St. Anthony, etc) about their students loitering, that would be a good first step.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 12:50

Garbage in the streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Any idea of what's the source of the garbage in the streets, - in particular in parking zone 6, and around the Hamilton Park?

Do people just throw things like ice-cream wraps, candy wraps, juice packets randomly on the sidewalk? Is it blown out by the wind from the trash cans? Is it falling off some garbage truck?

It is not that it is overwhelming in quantity, - but it is always invariably there. The new piece appears to replace an old one almost the minute the old one is picked up.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 11:42

Re: Garbage on the ground and sidewalks everywhere
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Garbage on the ground and sidewalks everywhere Isn't that a line from some old song?

Posted on: 2011/6/9 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a corner house downtown in 1996 where there's a lot of foot traffic. In the first 10 years or so, I cleaned up after every ignorant pig that dropped empty Newport cigarette boxes, cans of Coca-Cola on my wall, broken bottles of Corona and Heineken, candy wrappers, etc.

There was once this a$$hole who threw an empty bag of chips as I was sweeping the sidewalk, and when I asked him to pick it up, he replied "you got a problem?". He was lucky I wasn't 20 years younger or he would've had a fractured skull.

So - a few years ago, I just gave up, as I am tired of cleaning up after the Pigs that live/pass by around my home.

It's Jersey City. If I really can't stand it, I'll move to Bernardsville.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 15:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 16:14
From the heights
Group:
Registered Users
the problem appears to be tri-fold.
people, garbage cans, and the street sweepers.
1. the street sweepers are ineffective and just push the garbage around. (and where does the citation money go from the alternate side of the street parking?)
2. there are either no garbage cans, or they are overfilled and spilling back onto the street.
and
3. people are lazy.

i think there needs to be more neighborhood associations for people who want to make there block into a neighborhood. make people take a stand and have a sense of pride and respect in where they live.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 20:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
And what's the deal with the piles of used clothes that mysteriously appear about once a week, on both sides of Barrow and Christopher Columbus intersection. It's like someone just decides to leave half their wardrobe on the corner of the street.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSURugbyHooker wrote:
has anybody else experienced the recycling truck leaving behind uncollected recycled items on the curb? There's always at least 5-6 bags of uncollected recycling that's left behind by the truck on Thursday night/fri morning. My neighbor even goes so far as to put the recyclables into a reusable blue recycling can, and half the time the truck leaves the full can on the curb on collection night...

if you call the sanitation dept about it, they usually come around to pick it up during the day.

I know, weird, a Jersey City government agency responding to a legitimate complaint in a timely manner. but I've seen it happen.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CSURugbyHooker wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
To the person who left a giant bag of household garbage plugging up an otherwise empty public trashcan on Hamilton Park, Next time you should probably not throw your mail away too. The bag is now in your foyer.

You mean somebody put garbage in a garbage can? I'm sure the full bag of trash in the city can has nothing to do with garbage collections playing "one, two, skip a few" on trash collecting nights.

Speaking of which, has anybody else experienced the recycling truck leaving behind uncollected recycled items on the curb? There's always at least 5-6 bags of uncollected recycling that's left behind by the truck on Thursday night/fri morning. My neighbor even goes so far as to put the recyclables into a reusable blue recycling can, and half the time the truck leaves the full can on the curb on collection night...

Please read Part E. Also, if the city doesn't pick up your trash call the JCIA or bring it back into your property. It is illegal to put the stuff in city trashcans.

? 287-3. - Storage of refuse.

A.
No person may place refuse on any street, sidewalk, park or other public place except in city litter receptacles or in plastic bags or refuse containers for collection in accordance with the provisions of this article.

B.
No person may place, deposit or accumulate refuse upon or within any private property except in plastic bags or refuse containers in accordance with that provision of this article.

C.
No person may deposit refuse in a stream, brook or any other body of water.

D.
It shall be the duty of owners of real property to prevent the accumulation of refuse upon the sidewalks adjacent to their property.

E.
No person may place household refuse, construction or demolition refuse or street dirt into city litter receptacles.

F.
It shall be the duty of owners of vacant real property to maintain such property free of refuse, brush, weeds, tree stumps and other noxious plants.

G.
No owner of real property may permit the growth of brush, weeds or other noxious plants to a height of six inches or more upon or within his or her property or upon the sidewalk adjacent to his or her property.

H.
No owner of real property may permit the storage in areas zoned residential of any bulky household items such as appliances, furniture or mattresses, except in a fully enclosed structure.

[Added 10-27-1988 by Ord. No. C-839]

I.
No owner of real property may permit the storage of tires in areas zoned residential, except in a fully enclosed structure.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 2:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
To the person who left a giant bag of household garbage plugging up an otherwise empty public trashcan on Hamilton Park, Next time you should probably not throw your mail away too. The bag is now in your foyer.

You mean somebody put garbage in a garbage can? I'm sure the full bag of trash in the city can has nothing to do with garbage collections playing "one, two, skip a few" on trash collecting nights.

Speaking of which, has anybody else experienced the recycling truck leaving behind uncollected recycled items on the curb? There's always at least 5-6 bags of uncollected recycling that's left behind by the truck on Thursday night/fri morning. My neighbor even goes so far as to put the recyclables into a reusable blue recycling can, and half the time the truck leaves the full can on the curb on collection night...

Posted on: 2011/5/29 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcHate wrote:...

Blame the people you put in office.

What's the connection? Mayor's office is a purely decorative position that we vote for just to show our loyalty to one or other political party. We are not going to deny our federal politicians this show of support just because some guy claims that...

Wait, let me make it clear, - are you sure that the mayor is somehow involved in the actual management of the sanitation department?

Posted on: 2011/5/29 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

This is awesome. Kudos.

I needed a chuckle. You definitely get this month's Brass Ba//s award.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 14:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/27 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
What you should be asking is why you pay some of the highest taxes in the country to support the third most bloated sanitation budget in the state, yet can easily walk 10 blocks without finding a public trash can.

Blame the people you put in office.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The sidewalks bordering the embankment are especially bad, although it's not as apparent since the weeds have grown in. Can Steve Hyman legally prohibit people from cleaning up the trash along the avenues in addition to along 6th st?

With a few people, it wouldn't take too long to make the streets look much nicer. Much of the garbage that I pass has been there for weeks, if not months - such a cleanup effort would make a lasting impact.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

This is awesome. Kudos.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Obviously this person has never heard "Alice's Restaurant!" First rule of garbage dumping is to never let it get traced back to you.

On a related note, I saw a couple of kids walking back from school today toss an empty plastic bottle in the general vicinity of a trash can. It missed and they just kept walking. I was about to shake my fist and scold them when I realized that I probably shouldn't do it while sitting on my stoop. Shame that the fear of retaliation prevents me from trying to educate the masses in proper garbage disposal.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Very well played.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/5/24 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2011/5/24 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/5/24 19:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/14 18:46
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just soooo glad to see that i'm not the only one baffled and angered by the garbage. To the guy who asked if you're supposed to hold your trash til you get to where you're going? UH YEAH!!!!! You bought a snack, you carried it to the light rail, you ate it, you hold your crap til you see a trash can! Thats how it works! Its not like i'm asking you to hang on to a tissue i just sneezed in.... i'm freaking asking you to hold the waste that YOU created when you CHOSE to purchase a consumable item and YOU CONSUMED IT!!!! The second you lay your money down on any product that product becomes yours... you take responsibility for it, not me, no one but you.

I live near Lincoln Park and I've never noticed any shortage of trash cans, even in the park. Its just disrespectful, lazy, irresponsible morons! I saw a guy just the other day on West Side Ave. walk past 2 trash cans while holding and empty juice bottle then he threw it on the ground right as he walked into his front door. (where in theory there is also a garbage can)

The other issue I've noticed is on trash pick-up nights the garbage men spill half the trash on the ground and leave it. As if once it hits the ground it is no longer their job. On our street there is way more trash after the trash collectors do their "jobs."

Of all the places I've lived, this is the filthiest! Even the hillbilly trailer park dwellers in SC take more pride in their homes and communities. I think they clean their property more often than they clean themselves!

Posted on: 2010/7/9 4:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
I am so sick of the friggin garbage that blows around in front of my house. I can pick it all up and then someone comes around the corner with a full bag of fast food wrappers or a bottle of pee and tosses it. I used to pick it up. Now I am just frustrated and annoyed.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnnj23 wrote:
You know what really bothers me? How the city will nonchalantly ticket a car 3 seconds after a 10AM street cleaning rule, but when it comes to the important issues, they are over looked.

You are so right, but the obvious reason is what generates easy money for the gluttons in charge.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 14:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017