Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: Best pizza in JC????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Okay, I moved out of Jersey City in 2008, and moved back in only recently, but back during my time here I *literally* -- I mean it, literally -- tried every pizza place in Downtown Jersey City. Without a doubt, in my humble opinion, they were all sh*t. I couldn't choose one over the other.
It is something I've griped about for years -- how can Hoboken have decent pizza yet you walk a bit over to DT JC and it falls apart. People have good theories about that, but it isn't an excuse.
New to the area is Two Boots, which is good, but not really the NY pizza I'm looking for. I see these gourmet, brick oven joints popping up but I can make pizza that tastes like that at home.

You have to trek up to the Heights, we have 3 decent pizza parlors, Gino's. Pizza Masters, and Rizzo's all on Central Ave. Gino's is light moist, PM is a traditional NY slice, and Rizzo's over sized, tastey but on the dry side, and all Italian owned.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 23:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:

Elio's Bakery. I know you'll never find it. It's way down on Westside Avenue by Virgina.

Who will never find it? Don't get it twisted, bro. I went there before you.

You better check yourself.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, there aren't any good ol' corner, NY pizza spots where you can grab a slice on the go. Buon Appetito is the closest, and it is pretty average. Delenio's and Carmine's are also sort of in that category, and are pretty tasty, but there is something different about the pie that I can't put my finger on.

There are a handful of good Neoploitan style pizza places though, including some new ones like Razza, which is absolutely awesome.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I moved out of Jersey City in 2008, and moved back in only recently, but back during my time here I *literally* -- I mean it, literally -- tried every pizza place in Downtown Jersey City. Without a doubt, in my humble opinion, they were all sh*t. I couldn't choose one over the other.

It is something I've griped about for years -- how can Hoboken have decent pizza yet you walk a bit over to DT JC and it falls apart. People have good theories about that, but it isn't an excuse.

New to the area is Two Boots, which is good, but not really the NY pizza I'm looking for. I see these gourmet, brick oven joints popping up but I can make pizza that tastes like that at home.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thinking of some of the food-related threads, it's time to resurrect this thing...

While you can now get some very fine pizza in Jersey City. There is one place that stands out from the pack.

Elio's Bakery. I know you'll never find it. It's way down on Westside Avenue by Virgina.

And even if you find it, you may not get their pizza. Try going mid-morning. But it is pizza. Flavorful, lots of oil, old-style Italian bakery pie. If you get lucky you can get it straight from the oven. Nearly divine!

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I have no idea how anyone can say Gino's Pizza is good. It is greasy & imo, the cheese tastes like plastic. Pizza Masters & Rizzo's make the best slices in the Heights. A little place on Kennedy Blvd, Anna Marie's, is okay. The sauce is what makes Larry & Joe's Pizza tasty. Prince of Pizza is very good. Frank's on Monmouth St. turns out a good slice besides Frank, the owner, is a character & real son of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 0:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
My new favorite slice is the buffalo chicken slice at Carmine's at 8th and Brunswick.

facebook.com/carminesjc

fast delivery. great food. fair prices.

Posted on: 2011/12/11 9:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to add Carmine to the list of places with very good pizza. Relatively thin crust, not dry. Not over cheesy, good seasoning. This is now my favorite on par with the New Rustique in the HP area.

That being said, when Two Boots opens in the Spring I think they may have some competition.

Posted on: 2011/12/10 13:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
They are now called - Rustique Pizza - ordered from there tonight and the pizza was significantly better than the previous pies we ordered from the last owners. The pizza was not burn and did not take 2hrs to arrive. I will definitely order from there again or stop by to eat in.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dimond1117 wrote:
Ginos on Central in the heights.
Its so good! I've been on the hunt for a good pizza delivery spot in the heights for a while now and this is the best we've tried by far. Mama Leonas doesnt compare.
Try the pan pizza with fresh tomatoes and mozzerella. Yum!!

How right you are ! I usually case the joint before I purchase. Gino's is authentic, Pizza Masters is good too.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 1:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/12 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
Ginos on Central in the heights.
Its so good! I've been on the hunt for a good pizza delivery spot in the heights for a while now and this is the best we've tried by far. Mama Leonas doesnt compare.
Try the pan pizza with fresh tomatoes and mozzerella. Yum!!

Posted on: 2011/9/13 0:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I had previously thought they were gone for good, but I'm really glad this place is under new management while keeping the same quality of the pizza. I have yet to sit down for a meal but peering in the window you see the tables are set, there are servers waiting to attend to you, they have hours clearly posted (and seem to adhere to them), and the space has been cleaned up to look like an actual restaurant and not the remnants of a low-end flea market. Also noticeably absent is a crazy woman going on a drug/alcohol/all-of-the-above induced rant while people are trying to have a meal. I wish them the best of luck and hope the many, many people who blew them off due to the previous management come back and give it another try.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
La Rustique is back with a new owner-- anyone try it yet?

Just stopped in there and had a slice. It was very good and consistent with the old Rustique slice. I met the new Mrs. Owner and she was very nice and seems quite normal ;). They've got a new interim menu, with some new sandwiches that I will be trying soon. I have high hopes for them!

Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
The pizza at Carmines at 8th/Brunswick is really good.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Tried it and it's pretty consistent in quality. The pie was as good as ever. The eggplant Parma was ok, but the portion size was less then normal. So, so far, so good ...

Posted on: 2011/9/10 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
La Rustique is back with a new owner-- anyone try it yet?

Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Is La Rustique closed? Just passed by and it was shuttered - but no sign in the window re whether the owner (and Pillomena, his wife - as per previous posts) is on vacation.

I broke up with La Rustique awhile back because the quality of the pies was so spotty but I hate to see another vacant shop in the neighborhood.

Such a shame as they have a *killer* good oven in this space. Wanted to love 'em but it just didn't work out.

It looked closed for good to me when I walked there last night in search of a slice. No signs at all, looked like a business getting ready to shut it down.

Pretty bummed about it, their pizza far surpasses anything I've had anywhere else in Downtown. Maybe someone who can handle both the hospitality side of the business and make a great pie can move into that space, it's definitely made to be a pizza place with all the equipment in there.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't found it yet. Don't think it exists.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
Is La Rustique closed? Just passed by and it was shuttered - but no sign in the window re whether the owner (and Pillomena, his wife - as per previous posts) is on vacation.

I broke up with La Rustique awhile back because the quality of the pies was so spotty but I hate to see another vacant shop in the neighborhood.

Such a shame as they have a *killer* good oven in this space. Wanted to love 'em but it just didn't work out.

It looked closed for good to me when I walked there last night in search of a slice. No signs at all, looked like a business getting ready to shut it down.

Pretty bummed about it, their pizza far surpasses anything I've had anywhere else in Downtown. Maybe someone who can handle both the hospitality side of the business and make a great pie can move into that space, it's definitely made to be a pizza place with all the equipment in there.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/8 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Larry Joe's is better than 3 Guys but nothing so far matched up to Rizzo's

Quote:

shadrack wrote:
[quote]
Great!

Totally forgot about this place. I remember that it was great pizza when I was much younger, but what did I know about good pizza.

How does it compare to Larry and Joe's? Curious because Larry and Joe's is awesome. Order the pizza and fresh garlic.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 23:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/9 0:58
Group:
Registered Users
Delenio! Thin crust deliciousness.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcinflux wrote:
Just finished our 2nd joint on search for the best slice in JC and it was certainly a step above Helen's Pizza. Let me know if you think my palette is way off. Cheers for reading.

JC (in)Flux - on Search for that Slice - 3 Guys from Italy

Great!

Totally forgot about this place. I remember that it was great pizza when I was much younger, but what did I know about good pizza.

How does it compare to Larry and Joe's? Curious because Larry and Joe's is awesome. Order the pizza and fresh garlic.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 20:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/10 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just finished our 2nd joint on search for the best slice in JC and it was certainly a step above Helen's Pizza. Let me know if you think my palette is way off. Cheers for reading.

JC (in)Flux - on Search for that Slice - 3 Guys from Italy

Posted on: 2011/5/10 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
It was a lady who was making the pizza and she sounded Italian to me..

It's my first time there so I don't know about the owners.. A plain pie shouldn't be more than $10 bucks.. And unlike Pizza Masters and Mama Leone they don't give a container with soda for the price..

Mama Leone is not Italian owned especially with that plastic Italian name.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It was a lady who was making the pizza and she sounded Italian to me..

It's my first time there so I don't know about the owners.. A plain pie shouldn't be more than $10 bucks.. And unlike Pizza Masters and Mama Leone they don't give a container with soda for the price..

Posted on: 2011/4/23 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Decided to give Larry & Joe?s a shot today, and they make a pretty decent pie.. Its not salty like Pizza Masters and the sauce has a nice sweet taste to it.. The dough is very soft and the crust is like eating a bread stick. Only downside is the price, a large plain costs $12.25 with tax.

That comes to a dollar fifty three a slice, if it's that good grab it ! It's tough finding a good slice in J.C. By the way who owns it now, is it still the original owners and if not are they Italian ?

Posted on: 2011/4/23 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
We tried Victoria's a while back. It was so-so. Thought I'd try it again and ask for the crust a little crispier. When it came it was the same as the first time. The middle is soupy and not cooked well. The dough/crust tasted like Elio's frozen pizza squares. I couldn't eat it. Two strikes and I will go back to my regular place ! You get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Decided to give Larry & Joe?s a shot today, and they make a pretty decent pie.. Its not salty like Pizza Masters and the sauce has a nice sweet taste to it.. The dough is very soft and the crust is like eating a bread stick. Only downside is the price, a large plain costs $12.25 with tax.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
We have been trying Nick's lately and find it to be pretty good. Their delivery could use a little work as sometimes the pie is all over the box when we get it. The texture of the crust is good, if a little bland. Texture is almost as important as taste in my opinion.

I have found that it is best to avoid any pizzeria named for a woman. Nothing sexist, mind you, it just seems to work out that way. Locally, Helen's, Stella's, and Victoria's just aren't cutting it.

Our rotation currently includes John's, Nick's, and Buon Appetito.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:56

Re: Local blogger on search of the perfect slice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcinflux wrote:
I have written my first review as I search for the best slice in Jersey City. Check out the blog and let me know if you've had similar experiences or think I'm just damn wrong. I've suddenly began to have some weird unrealistic fear of pizza owners banning me from their establishments. Only one way to find out. My team of pizza lovers will hit the 2nd shop on Wednesday, so do check back often. Cheers for reading.

JC (in)Flux: on Search for that Slice - Helen's Pizza

Agreed, Helens is not good.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 14:49

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact