Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/28 6:05
Group:
Registered Users
The Mohawk on Central Ave, the clams on the half-shell guy, who came to the bars in his car. That the food store on Central and Manhattan use to be a mill factory. Pershing Field is the res.When the streets use to be two ways. Containers of beer to go. The Nativity scene at the Blvd. and St. Paul's.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 6:10

The Driftwood

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/8 1:14
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Was it around the corner from the Stanley theater many years ago?

Posted on: 2011/11/27 23:40

St. Bridget Grammar school

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Any old timers from the class of '64 out there?

Posted on: 2011/11/27 23:14

Old timer question

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone out there tell me the name of the coffe shop that was around the corner from the Stanley theater way back when?

Was it the Driftwood?

Posted on: 2011/11/27 23:10

Re: More Places Of Old Jersey City That Are No More
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bryceman70 wrote:
5) The rag man with his wagon (he had a chin beard) who shouted: "Ray!" as he clip-clopped down the street...and why did one travelling truck fruit vendor sound like he was yelling:"Peaches! Apples! Peaches! ACEVEDO!" I know it wasn't "Acevedo"..I thought as a kid maybe it was his name, but he was Italian, not Spanish.

My aunt's father-in-law was a rag man from the Horseshoe section in 5th Ward. I also heard the fruit guy here up in the Heights although I never heard avacado. He was a fat older rummpled guy that seemed as though he slept in his truck. What about the knife guy all the old Italian ladies used to run out with their kitched knives up in the air rushing to get on line. He even sharpened my old boy scout knife so I could wittle a piece of wood.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 22:17

More Places Of Old Jersey City That Are No More

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 3:29
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
1) My mother told me that when she was a little girl (1920's) there was a huge blue whale in the ocean in "Mount Fuji" like waves on the bricks of the orange brick apt. building next to the old Harris Glass on the side of the street that now has Hudson City Bank. On looking closely at the brickwork you can vaguely ,very vaguely see one of the waves from that ancient brick wall ad.,

2) Migdoll's (the brick ad. is s till there on the side street) lamp store on Monticello Ave.. He had these rolling lamps with trains and "blob lights", gobs of goo that went up and down an illuminated tube, in his window. A shop full of lamps.

3) The Bonanza Charcoal Pit, across from the State Theater, Hoss Cartwright(the late Dan Blocker) came for the opening in his ten gallon hat. A great burger and fries place. WOW!

4) the great Hot Open Turkey Sandwich With Fries from The Alps.

5) The rag man with his wagon (he had a chin beard) who shouted: "Ray!" as he clip-clopped down the street...and why did one travelling truck fruit vendor sound like he was yelling:"Peaches! Apples! Peaches! ACEVEDO!" I know it wasn't "Acevedo"..I thought as a kid maybe it was his name, but he was Italian, not Spanish.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 3:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
The Pix. use to show Horror Movie Matinees on Saturdays around 1960-62. Movies that later were on CHILLER THEATER on t.v.. They had between double features a drawing of a winning thater ticket for a Silver Dollar. The manager who did the drawing lookedl ike Kate Smith.

It was a roller rink later on.
Paris Pastry on Bergen Avenue and remember Meatless Fridays and AMATO'S. Old man Amato had a very loud voice. He sounded like he was shouting even when he gretted you.
A delivery boy who worked for him, Phillip Polk, was accepted into Annapolis and became a career officer in the U.S. Navy. I don't know what became of him but the crew at Amato's was very proud of him. The businesses I know of left from those days are Roguts, Johnson's Stationary(are they still there?), the Bank on the corner of Fairmount Ave. and the Emerald Cleaners.

I remember the A & P on Bergen Ave. near Emrald, Miss Dotty always helped the little kids who couldn't read the labels in the store. She was very nice.

Soft Shell Crab and french fries dinner - $5.50.

Is Shelley's still around?

Posted on: 2011/8/28 0:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/2 11:26
From Bergen Lafayette, Downtown, Westiside and Heights
Group:
Registered Users
how about........

Outer Skates of America on Bergen Ave and Montgomery St at MCGinley Square. There used to be a movie theater there called Pixed. Great times there roller skating and playing PacMan on the tabletop version!

DMV on Central and Booream Ave. OMG the wait was over 3 hours for the simplest tranaction! That's where I got my fake I.D. (Driver's Lincense) at 16 years old!!!!

Two Guys!!!! on Rt440 and Communipaw Ave

Shoprite Downtown on Henderson Ave and Grove Mack-Cali building (Subway Sandwich Shop)

Rickles Home Store at Rt440 and Culver Ave (Nation Wide Wholesale Store) before Home Depot LOL!

miss those day

Posted on: 2011/8/27 16:19
*JERSEY CITY* BORN and RAISED, STILL HERE!

Re: The Good , The Bad And The Ugly Of Old Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
The checker-shirted Archie Bunker use to also have a huge grass front lawn and devoted all spring and summer to guarding his front lawn from kids walking on it, baseballs landing in it or dogs going near it. He hated kids and always yelled at them or reported them to their parents if they came within inches of his silly grass.
We got back at him when he want to a Novena. lol. Then for that interval his lawn became Yankee Stadium and boy did he yell , "Hey, you kids!" when he got back from Church.
Like the customers at Joe's Elbow Room at Palisade Park, "we didn't know anything about it!"

I always wondered why these crabby people didn't just put barbed wire and booby traps around their silly front lawn grass.

Every neighborhood had a Grass Man just like the Medical Center had a screaming old lady patient on all the floors constantly screaming for the nurse(she got get well cards from all the floor staff, lol) and whining out loud. It frightened kids who had to visit someone in "The Bastille".

Posted on: 2011/8/24 20:50

Re: The 9th Street Monster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
the earthquake

Posted on: 2011/8/24 3:55

The 9th Street Monster

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a very little kid riding on "the Tubes" I remember in the dusty old 9th Street Station in Manhattan, from within the bend of the in-coming tunnel on the 33rd St.-Jnl Sq. side of the station, there was a hideous hiss--clomp, hiss-clomp noise in the tunnel that sounded like The Monster Of Piedras Blancas movie monster walking in the tunnel.

Anyone know what that noise actually was? It gave me the creeps, I'd hide in dad's or mom's coat when we entered the station and I heard it.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 2:14

Live Poultry & Long Gone Movie Theater

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Live Poultry Market-There was one near Montgomery Street. The tiny building still stands.

The Movie Theater across from the Central Ave. Police Station. I vaguely recall being glad to leave, going down its carpeted staircase..the second feature: PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DASIES, was absolutely awful and boring. It still is !!!

The Fairmount Hospital-was "kid friendly" as was Saint Francis. The Medical Center was Frankenstein's Lab to little kids-the scariest hospital in the city.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 1:40

The Good , The Bad And The Ugly Of Old Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Several memories. One maybe someone can remember:
I vaguely remember between Oakland Avenue and Cook Street where now is a huge parking lot...there was a gully, a bid deep crater. In it were several rows of army-style buildings in which Black Families lived. It was bulldozed and now a parking lot for over ....55 years? Was I hallucinating or was it really there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Memories, THE GOOD: Fisher Beer was the 5 & 10 next to the State Theater.
The huge vacant lot between Summit Ave and JFK (formerly HUDSON) Blvd. Only the library and one St. John's Apts. building was there, between them...it looked like Hiroshima after the blast for a few years in the early 1960's around the time Kennedy was shot.
ACME Super Market on Hoboken and Summit Aves. where the Hudson Bank drive-in now stands.

The Rosewood Malt Shop on Bergen Ave. near Vroom ST. had swastika tyles on the floor (obviously put there long before Hitler)

Bickford's on the Square and the McGinley Square Bus Station(where the tramps hung out inside who looked like out've the Great Depression).
Coward Shoes
Thorne's Women's where owned by a former Czech movie star prior to WW 2.

The Pix Theater Saturday Matinees which showed movies later put on CHILLER THEATER on t.v.
Other Memories: THE BAD:

The Jersey Journal use to print "A Negro" if someone arrested was Black. They'd put his name, the above , his age and address. They didn't do it for any other race. They continued to do it until I think Dr. King was killed(old Microfilms at the Jersey Ave. library will prove what I say).

Kids with "funny names" that weren't Irish or Italian were open-targets for bullies. Even in the Catholic Schools. When the first Black kid came to our Catholic school (I won't say the name to avoid embarassment-you'll know which one!) the other kids jumped on him like paranas. I don't recall what happened to him. His first name was Joseph and the last name started with a T.. That's all I'll share.

Other Meories: THE UGLY:

If you were suspected to be gay in Jersey City of the Old Days you had as much of a chance as a Hassidic Jew in 1940 Berlin. Now Jersey City was ranked #3 in the state for Gay Friendly.

The Jersey Journal use to print Sodomy arrests and "suspected homosexuals" arrested on suspicion, their names and addresses in the paper. Again, check the microfilms.
Neighborhoods had "color lines" usually enforced by some checker-shirted Archie Bunker who lived on the street who hoisted the Star Spangled Banner every morning on his porch). I was told once that a little kid I invited to the wading pool in my yard had to go away because "a neighbor complained I violated the color line" to my parents.
He was a dark-complexioned Hispanic*(*that made it even worse). ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jersey City, like any place in the country or the world, has its good memories and bad. These are part of our history. What is important is what we've become and we're a vibrant multi-cultured and welcoming city now. We are not a "little red neck town frozen in the 1950's" as some New Yorkers said about us back then.
I love Jersey City and am also a historian.
Final note, a foundation of one of the towering beams for the old trolley tressle to Hoboken is still under the State Highway ramp to the Holland Tunnel, know where it is?

Posted on: 2011/8/24 1:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/19 2:42
Group:
Registered Users
The Wonder Store was on Newark Avenue, between Erie and Jersey, acroos the street from the Palace Theater. On the Next block, by Coles, was Lou's Clam Bar, and across the Street was Uneeda Fashions, where I worked during high School

Posted on: 2011/8/19 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Stretching the point a bit but July 30th is the anniversary of the Black Tom explosion at the location that is now the Southern edge of Liberty State Park. In 1916 German agents set off a huge explosion. At the time it was a rail yard and since it was wartime the rolling stock was largely ammunition and explosives. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion

From the article: ..."Fragments from the explosion traveled long distances, some lodging in the Statue of Liberty and some in the clock tower of the Jersey Journal building in Journal Square, over a mile away, stopping the clock at 2:12 a.m."..... Hard to believe debris could be thrown all the way to Journal Square! Also, its closer to four miles away, not just one mile. It must have broken every window in town.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 5:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/30 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Darkvark wrote:
Brummers was located in the Junction area where Communipaw Avenue meets Grand Street and Ocean Avenue, about two blocks from St Patrick's Church. It's now an insurance office. The soda fountain was a classic marble top which was absolutely beautiful . I wonder what ever happened to it.

So Brummers was not the ice cream parlor which had been next to the Stanley Theater. Ice cream parlor which was next to the Stanley Theater may have existed in the '50s or earlier but not in later time periods. I didn't live in JC in the '50s but a friend of mine did. According to my friend, there was pancake house near the Journal Square concourse when he was living in JC.

Posted on: 2011/7/30 3:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/29 1:31
Group:
Registered Users
Brummers was located in the Junction area where Communipaw Avenue meets Grand Street and Ocean Avenue, about two blocks from St Patrick's Church. It's now an insurance office. The soda fountain was a classic marble top which was absolutely beautiful . I wonder what ever happened to it.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

I remember a deli/convenience store which was across the street from DHS. Perhaps Rands was located near the deli. My friends & I used to purchase snacks from the deli during lunch break when we were attending Dickinson H.S. The name Rands seems familiar but I don't recall if I've ever been to the restaurant.

Louie's Candy Store on Newark was popular with DHS students... candy, comic books, and loose cigarettes for a dime. It was on Newark and Palisade across from the school and Hudson Gardens. High Pockets (later the Bus Stop) was the bar on the corner of Chestnut and Newark Avenues.

I vaguely recall a liquor store type of business which was located on the corner of Newark & Chestnut Avenues. Perhaps the liquor store I remember was the bar.

That is Mars Liquors. It's still there under different owners for the last 20 years. The old Mars was a great deli. The old High Pockets (later Bus Stop) Bar is a Spanish restaurant on Newark and Chestnut. The Dominican Bodega on the east corner of Newark and Chestnut was a Salvation Army Store.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 14:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

I remember a deli/convenience store which was across the street from DHS. Perhaps Rands was located near the deli. My friends & I used to purchase snacks from the deli during lunch break when we were attending Dickinson H.S. The name Rands seems familiar but I don't recall if I've ever been to the restaurant.

Louie's Candy Store on Newark was popular with DHS students... candy, comic books, and loose cigarettes for a dime. It was on Newark and Palisade across from the school and Hudson Gardens. High Pockets (later the Bus Stop) was the bar on the corner of Chestnut and Newark Avenues.

I vaguely recall a liquor store type of business which was located on the corner of Newark & Chestnut Avenues. Perhaps the liquor store I remember was the bar.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 3:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
The Driftwood restaurant was next to the State Theater according various posts on to this discussion. However, a friend of mine remembers an ice cream parlor/restaurant that was next to the State Theater. Perhaps the ice cream parlor/restaurant existed during an earlier time period. Was that ice cream parlor/restaurant which was next to the State Theater named Rand's Ice Cream or was it Brummer's Ice Cream Parlor?

Rands was located on Newark Avenue across the street from DHS, so it must have been Brummers. The Rands property was a check cashing place (closed now) and the parking lot is currently rented for long term parking.

Rands was the best ice cream that I had ever had. During the Summer even before they closed, the line for ice cream was always long.

Louie's was probably the store that my friends & I went to during many lunch periods to buy our snacks. As I remember, the store also sold newspapers & magazines. I don't remember High Pockets. My DHS friends & I were not old enough to drink when I attend the school. I attended DHS for the 9th grade only. My family moved from Jersey City to South Jersey when I was in high school. There were probably some delis near DHS in the '70s. I remember that some schoolmates would purchase a hoagie, chips & soda during lunch break at the delis near the school. The students could also purchase hoagies & chips in the school's cafeteria.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
The Driftwood restaurant was next to the State Theater according various posts on to this discussion. However, a friend of mine remembers an ice cream parlor/restaurant that was next to the State Theater. Perhaps the ice cream parlor/restaurant existed during an earlier time period. Was that ice cream parlor/restaurant which was next to the State Theater named Rand's Ice Cream or was it Brummer's Ice Cream Parlor?

Rands was located on Newark Avenue across the street from DHS, so it must have been Brummers. The Rands property was a check cashing place (closed now) and the parking lot is currently rented for long term parking.

Rands was the best ice cream that I had ever had. During the Summer even before they closed, the line for ice cream was always long.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 0:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/7/4 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i do remember as a kid going up to central avenue with my mom and grandmother to the wonder store. i recently saw one down the shore near tinton falls. it brought me back.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 8:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
my grandmother used to pick me up in her 87 hyundai excel to pick up rands root beer floats. talk about heaven after school...

Posted on: 2011/6/29 8:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/6/29 3:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/29 2:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/4 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
Simonetti And Sullivan was on Monticello not Jackson.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 14:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The third photo on this Pleasant Family Shopping web page shows the Two Guys store on Route 440 in JC in 1964. I forgot how large the store was until I saw this photo.

"Two Guys Discount Stores '64 edition"
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspo ... -stores-1964-edition.html

Posted on: 2011/6/27 22:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

I've thought of looking at old telephone books to find the information. I've been told by a friend who lived in JC until the early '70s that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s.

I remember my mother taking me there in the early to mid '70's for school clothes so that place must have been in business throughout the decade of the '70's.

The person who told me that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s probably has a faulty memory. That person also told me that the Two Guys store on Route 440 closed in '74. There are internet bloggers who remember that the Two Guys store on Route 440 closed in the early '80s. Most of the Two Guys stores in the U.S. closed in the late '70s or early '80s. I vaguely recall going to a Robert Hall store in the Jersey City/NYC area in the mid '70s. The store was probably the Robert Hall store on Route 440 if the store still existed at that time.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

I've thought of looking at old telephone books to find the information. I've been told by a friend who lived in JC until the early '70s that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s.

I remember my mother taking me there in the early to mid '70's for school clothes so that place must have been in business throughout the decade of the '70's.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 0:56

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017