Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Formatting Improvements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bthoma wrote: Not sure how you can prove how every message board in the world works, but regardless, it doesn't mean it's how this message board should work. Nearly every computer user in the world uses Internet Explorer as their web browser, and that's not necessarily a great idea either.
didn't say every, but nearly every. Over many years, I've probably at least clicked through hundreds of messageboards and I can't remember a single one that had newest posts on top. Comments sections, yes, messageboards no. vb, bb, phpbb, lain, img boards, all use a "first goes on top" format as the default setup, and most people stick with it as a default because it's what's familiar.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 5:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
rbnyfan wrote: Quote:
bthoma wrote: Not sure how you can prove how every message board in the world works, but regardless, it doesn't mean it's how this message board should work. Nearly every computer user in the world uses Internet Explorer as their web browser, and that's not necessarily a great idea either.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp If you're going to be smug, at least be in the right ballpark.
Not sure where those numbers came from, but IE definitely has over a 50% share of the worldwide browser market.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bthoma wrote: I have been a JC resident for three years, but recently have been more active & interested in contributing to JCList. There are two main frustrations with this service that keep popping up for me: The order of posts currently goes from first to last. This is especially frustrating when coming back to a topic to see a new post. I'm sure many people use RSS readers to keep up with JCList, and every time you click through to read the context of a new comment, you have to either scroll through all the previous comments, or click to get to the last page in the thread. At the very least the order of posts within a thread should be a user-controlled preference (first-to-last or last-to-first).
That would not be an improvement imo. That would be annoying.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. I always get sent to the last post. Then if I need to scroll back, it's easy. If there are multiple pages, click the last page and you should be taken to the last post.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp If you're going to be smug, at least be in the right ballpark.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
When I go into a topic it always goes to the last posted message first.
That's how I've set the preferences.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 20:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure how you can prove how every message board in the world works, but regardless, it doesn't mean it's how this message board should work. Nearly every computer user in the world uses Internet Explorer as their web browser, and that's not necessarily a great idea either. Thanks for pointing me to where I could change the preference. Despite making the changes to my profile, the way messages display is still first-to-last. I'm not sure this is a bug that the administrators can fix, but it would be appreciated. I also noticed that every thread does have a "view options" drop down to select last-to-first viewing, but again, it's now two extra clicks for every topic?not very user friendly. Would be fine if the option worked within the profile.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nearly every messageboard in the world goes first to last. If you want it to go the other way around, you're gonna be messing around with a lot of habits.

That being said, if you go "your account" and then "Edit Profile" there's a field for 'Comments Sort Order" which you can change from Oldest First to Newest First.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 18:40

Formatting Improvements

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/29 23:10
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have been a JC resident for three years, but recently have been more active & interested in contributing to JCList. There are two main frustrations with this service that keep popping up for me: The order of posts currently goes from first to last. This is especially frustrating when coming back to a topic to see a new post. I'm sure many people use RSS readers to keep up with JCList, and every time you click through to read the context of a new comment, you have to either scroll through all the previous comments, or click to get to the last page in the thread. At the very least the order of posts within a thread should be a user-controlled preference (first-to-last or last-to-first). There is an enormous amount of white space between posts, redundant buttons, and overall usability flaws. I realize that you are using a third party system for managing this BB, but perhaps there can be some UI/front end improvements to make the site easier to read & use. I would target the white space between posts (makes it hard to get the flow of the discussion) and positioning of buttons (reply/new topic/etc.) within the threads. I'm open to hearing other opinions, but I think these types of improvements would help JCList be more user-friendly.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 14:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017