Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Diaper service recommendations?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
We've been using cloth diapers for our 5 month old, right from the get-go, with the exception of one disposable/night and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it's gone. We have a diaper pail in the bathroom (treated ourselves to a high end-ish, stainless steel garbage pail from Bed, Bath & Beyond Simple Human , I think?) and use a cloth, waterproof, drawstring topped laundry bag inside of the pail.

Baby gets changed every two hours or so - by the end of the day she's gone through maybe 8-10 diapers. Before falling into bed each night I remove the entire bag from the pail and empty it into the washing machine, kinda slinging it inside out to expel the diapers, without actually touching them.

We have a front loading, high efficiency washer which I set to EXTRA RINSE. A normal amount of detergent is used and I'll add a bit if Oxy Clean to pump it up a notch or two. Upon waking the next morning, I toss the diapers into the dryer. This is so no big deal.

Diapering Junior is the same, except for a waterproof cover ~ again, no biggie.

With the eyes and scrutiny of family and friends upon us, they've all had to admit that the diapers are super clean, super cute and super diaper rash prone. The doc at TriBeCa Pediatrics has even asked us about them.

Quick aside: I\'m a vegetarian and have been for a long, long time. It\'s not because I\'m superior or right or whatever other annoying replies you might have heard ~ but rather, because it works for me. It\'s a more complicated way to eat, can be time consuming, etc. I respect everyone\'s choice to eat as they like, without having to defend their point of view.

Diapering Junior\'s not unlike the vegetarian thing ~ I feel a kinship with the other folks here in town who are doing it. And just as I occasionally miss bacon (any vegetarian who doesn\'t admit this is probably pulling your leg) I also miss the convenience of disposable diapers.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 3:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/9 18:28
Group:
Registered Users
What about Idiapers? I called them and the lady said they deliver to Jersey City, no problem. They have several customers there. I'm confused - are they new so you couldn't find them before....?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I was curious about this, but you know my sister works in a daycare and they refuse to accept any kids in cloth diapers, so how do you go about the whole daycare situation.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I must say that I've learned alot about modern reusable diapers that I had no idea about from this thread and using them may not be as inconvenient as I thought...

It all depends on lifestyle...I could make the jump to reusables, but the following post describes what I would think is a common experience:

http://offbeatmama.com/2010/04/cloth- ... -the-disposable-seduction

Posted on: 2010/8/6 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
"Better for the environment" is not that clearcut if you're using a service. All the HOT water for washing and fuel for delivery (and idling vans) also have an impact on the environment. Not saying you shouldn't go with cloth, but if you end up using disposables, don't beat yourself up over it.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
The couple at Young House Love just posted about their cloth diaper experience, if you're interested in another (pro) opinion with a ton of detail about the day-to-day: http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/08 ... uested-cloth-diaper-post/

Posted on: 2010/8/6 13:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/23 19:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the comments! My wife has been searching for JC diaper services and came to the same conclusion -- they just don't exist. We'll look into the fuzzibuns. I've heard stories about older cloth diapers (blow outs and rinsing in the toilet don't sound fun at all), so these sound promising. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 1:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 13:22
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I promise you it's not as gruesome as you might imagine. And I don't use cloth because I have an overabundance of time--I'm a busy working mother who uses cloth because it's economical, better for the environment, and because my kid has had no diaper rash while wearing them (uinlike when she wore disposables). I also think they are cute :) I've never, not once, had a poop blowout while using my fuzzis (again, unlike my experience w/disposables) and I certainly haven't had to throw any away. They clean up beautifully and on the rare occasion there is a stain left, I leave it for an hour in the sun and it's gone.

For short trips and daycare cloth should pose no problem,especially with the user friendly pocket style diapers. I know lots of cloth diapering moms who use them @ daycare. For longer trips disposables do make more sense. I'm dreading an upcoming vacation where we'll be using disposables, and I have my diaper rash cream ready!

Posted on: 2010/8/5 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdude wrote:
I live in downtown and am trying to find a diaper service. Does anyone have a recommendation? Many thanks!

Dude,

Let me be clear. This is not a snide remark; I am being sincere.

I would recommend using disposable diapers.

I have kids.

If I wanted to condemn my worst enemy to the worst punishment possible, I would force him to use reusable diapers with their kids.

I don't think reusable diapers are a rational option unless someone has excess time on their hands and space in their homes. Few new parents in Jersey City have either of those resources and that explains the lack of a diaper service in this area.

Having said that, the Fuzzibuns thing looks like an OK design. But I'll bet you'll end up having to throw a few of those out after a few explosive events and you'll likely have to resort to disposables when you take the kid out and about, on vacation, to daycare, etc.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 3:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 13:22
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I searched looong and hard for a diaper service that served our area and came to the conclusion that there was none. I know there are some in NYC, but not here. I'm actually glad that I didn't find one, though. I chose to use FuzziBunz One Size pocket diapers and launder them myself. I've been using them on my now 8 month old daughter since she was 8 weeks old (the One Size diapers are a bit too bulky on newborns so I used disposables for the first 8 weeks). I think they worked out better than if we had used prefolds with a cover, as we would have had to do with a service since they only provide prefolds. The Fuzzis are very easy to clean, their customer service is great, and even my husband figured out how to use them :) They also save us a ton of money over disposables. I'm not sure I would have gone this route if we didn't have a washer/dryer in our unit, but I know several women who use cloth diapers and don't have their own washer/dryer so it is possible. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 2:02

Diaper service recommendations?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/23 19:40
Group:
Registered Users
I live in downtown and am trying to find a diaper service. Does anyone have a recommendation? Many thanks!

Posted on: 2010/8/5 0:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017