Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Affordable 1 bedroom near Grove PATH? Is it possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Laundry facilities are a luxury. A $1,200 a month apartment in Brooklyn isn't likely to have laundry either.

As a landlord, I'm curious, how much more would/should someone pay for a non coin-op laundry in the building? We've seen many places where there was no reason the landlord couldn't do it, but didn't.

In-building and in-unit are very different things. If its just in the building, I still have to compete with other residents to use it, which in my experience comes down to everyone trying to do their laundry on Sunday night. In-unit allows you to do laundry whenever you need it without interrupting the rest of your life.

Also, drop off service changed my life. So personally, the premium would have to be less than the cost of dropping it off at a wash and fold.

Drop off service is well worth it for sheets and towels alone. If you have a big enough load then shirts, shorts, and pants is a save of time. I rather do socks and whites myself though. If you are comfortable with your laundrymat then run in, throw the clothes in the wash and do some errands, then run back to dry them. Always have something to do during the course. Hopefully you have a car.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Laundry facilities are a luxury. A $1,200 a month apartment in Brooklyn isn't likely to have laundry either.

As a landlord, I'm curious, how much more would/should someone pay for a non coin-op laundry in the building? We've seen many places where there was no reason the landlord couldn't do it, but didn't.

In-building and in-unit are very different things. If its just in the building, I still have to compete with other residents to use it, which in my experience comes down to everyone trying to do their laundry on Sunday night. In-unit allows you to do laundry whenever you need it without interrupting the rest of your life.

Also, drop off service changed my life. So personally, the premium would have to be less than the cost of dropping it off at a wash and fold.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
From all the replies I see that there is a lot of give and takes here. Does it have to be the Downtown section or are you more concerned about being in close proximity to public transportation ? Why not try the Heights specifically the east side of the Heights, or even near the Pershing Field park area which is quiet and has pleasant surroundings. I've been noticing more and more out of towners living up here, plus I bike (bicycle) all over the palace so it is actually bike friendly. (hint hint get a bike) You have the Light Rail and it's elevator to get you down to Hoboken, the Shop Rite, as well as around town, it's not a bad walk to the Square, you have the Reservoir to meditate about, free movies in Riverview and Washington parks Fridays in August including tonight. And Central Ave for various needs. The proximity to busses and everything in and around the Heights is accessible even to the DT section of J.C.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
In older houses in Jersey City, often where you have plenty of space to put a laundry (e.g. an unfinsihed basement), it is the dodgy electrics in older houses that prevent you from doing so. Often the service to the entire building is only 60A, and even if the service is good, new circuits need to be put in for a washing machine and dryer.

Robin.

If you have a gas dryer, the load from a laundry really isn't that high. A single 20A line is plenty. And since the common electric panel is almost always in the basement, running a new line is easy anyway.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
In older houses in Jersey City, often where you have plenty of space to put a laundry (e.g. an unfinsihed basement), it is the dodgy electrics in older houses that prevent you from doing so. Often the service to the entire building is only 60A, and even if the service is good, new circuits need to be put in for a washing machine and dryer.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/5 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Eating liberally has it right - be on craigslist every single day and if a place sounds good, go see it within 48 hours or it will probably be gone. From my experience dealing with that price range, you will see about 10 shit holes and 1 or 2 good places - you'll obviously know which is which when you see them. You'll have to compromise on something - a place with laundry facilities will have less square footage and vice versa, that sort of thing - but as long as you're not coming from some sprawling loft space in brooklyn you'll probably find things to be comparable.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
When I was first moving here, someone showed me a 1-bedroom on Steuben st. that was a 30-second walk from the PATH, $500 per month. Granted, my front door would have been one of those metal hatches that leads from the sidewalk to the basement, and the place had all the cinder block charm of a prison cell.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 0:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/9 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, all for the good suggestions. Keep them coming! If you have leads feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
I'm sorry to tell you but Grove is not mugging-proof. JC has random acts of violence all over. Over in my neck of the woods it is considered a tougher area but I have never had a problem in all these years.
But when I had my luxury vehicle and visited friends in downtown my car was broken into 4 times in 2 years.
That is why a lot of downtowners are moving into Lafayette. They get much more space and parking and nicer apts for less. I am not selling the area but if i had to pay 1400 for a one bedroom 3 story walk up with no parking I would feel cheated.
Regardless, know your neighbors and get involved with your local community group and you will feel at home.
Welcome!

Although, you are correct, moving to Lafayette is not the solution. There are no good modes of transportation there. The OP said she wanted to be close to the PATH. Riding jitneys, the light rail, and transferring to the PATH gets old really really fast.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

EatingLiberally wrote:
I've moved around the Grove Street area a few times over the past few years, and what you're looking for is certainly available, but you've got to act fast. You probably know the drill from living in Brooklyn: check out craigslist every day (both the North Jersey version and the NYC version), and when something comes up, call the number on the ad immediately. Otherwise the apartment will be spoken for within a matter of a day or two. Don't even bother going to the realtors on Grove Street: everyone I know who has tried to use them to find a cheap 1-bedroom gets ignored because they make almost no money working with you. All in all, I'd say anything within a ten minute walk of the PATH train is fairly safe. Good luck!

Its not 2007 anymore.

Competition for lower-priced places downtown is still pretty fierce. That said, a couple friends of mine just snagged a one-bedroom in the Grove St/VVP area for $950/mo. It can be done. (But don't expect amenities like AC or a washer-dryer at that price! When I was apartment hunting a couple months ago we even had a broker try to show us a place with no oven.) The area is definitely pretty safe on the whole, though, particularly so the closer you are to the train stops.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Check your PM. I have a vacancy coming.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EatingLiberally wrote:
I've moved around the Grove Street area a few times over the past few years, and what you're looking for is certainly available, but you've got to act fast. You probably know the drill from living in Brooklyn: check out craigslist every day (both the North Jersey version and the NYC version), and when something comes up, call the number on the ad immediately. Otherwise the apartment will be spoken for within a matter of a day or two. Don't even bother going to the realtors on Grove Street: everyone I know who has tried to use them to find a cheap 1-bedroom gets ignored because they make almost no money working with you. All in all, I'd say anything within a ten minute walk of the PATH train is fairly safe. Good luck!

Its not 2007 anymore.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
I'm sorry to tell you but Grove is not mugging-proof. JC has random acts of violence all over. Over in my neck of the woods it is considered a tougher area but I have never had a problem in all these years.
But when I had my luxury vehicle and visited friends in downtown my car was broken into 4 times in 2 years.
That is why a lot of downtowners are moving into Lafayette. They get much more space and parking and nicer apts for less. I am not selling the area but if i had to pay 1400 for a one bedroom 3 story walk up with no parking I would feel cheated.
Regardless, know your neighbors and get involved with your local community group and you will feel at home.
Welcome!

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/30 13:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Just try walking around. One, you'll get a feel for the neighborhood and two, you'd be surprised how many buildings have "X Apartment for Rent, Call ####."

Get off at the PATH and check out area north and south of Christopher Columbus DR.

I initially discovered my place that way.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 13:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
I second Grove Path's suggestion. Look for a place near Newark Avenue, but on the far side of Jersey from the PATH station.

You might have to walk a little further to get a good deal. Stick to the main drags, like Jersey Ave and Newark Ave, if you have safety concerns.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Look in The Village area -- maybe put a flyer up at Madame Claude's.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
You have to look hard but there certainly are one bedrooms in the $1,000 to $1,300 dollar range within 1/2 mile of Grove Street.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
if you would like 1 room in a 2 or 3 bedroom, maybe.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
You may get lucky on craigslist. 1,200 is possible for a studio. Most 1 bedrooms start at 1,400 in a walk-up building.

Van Vorst is a safe neighborhood if you want to stay close to the path. Paulus Hook is too pricey and Hamilton Park might be too far of a walk - both are safe places to live.

Sorry to hear about the mugging. I'm not sure what part of B'klyn you lived, but downtown JC is still an urban area so not crime free.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:28

Affordable 1 bedroom near Grove PATH? Is it possible?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/9 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking for a place within walking distance of the Gove st PATH station. I don't need anything fancy or huge. I'm not looking for a luxury unit or sweeping views. I just want an affordable place in a safe neighborhood. I can pay $1200. I don't have a car, so being able to walk to PATH is a must.

I'm moving to JC from Brooklyn where my house was broken into and I was mugged, hence my interest in safety...

I'd like to think what I'm looking for is possible, especially in the mid-rise apartment area 4 or 5 blocks south of Hamilton Park... Are there any other areas near Grove I should be looking at? Have any leads? Any thoughts on finding something good? Is this an impossible dream?

Posted on: 2011/8/4 3:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017