Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 24 »

Re: Taqueria
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Taco fight!

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:57
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Thanks good luck to you too.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 21:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Because we were thetacotruck in jersey city when you were still in business school. (now this is getting good right?) Why would the_taco_truck hijack our thread? Anywho...so yes LES has chips and guac and a couple other things that come with having a full bar. (margaritas) Jersey City location will get these too as we are in the process of obtaining a full liq lic. here as well. We never said guac wasn't mexican, others said we said. We have been fortunate (actually fortune has nothing to do with it) that the response in NY has been stellar. But as someone has already pointed out, there really is nothing like the original. Peace.

I do see that you registered that name on 2005/9/14 so our apologies. For the record none of us went to business school but it was a good opportunity for you to insert a cutting remark. Good luck in NYC;)

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Because we were thetacotruck in jersey city when you were still in business school. (now this is getting good right?) Why would the_taco_truck hijack our thread? Anywho...so yes LES has chips and guac and a couple other things that come with having a full bar. (margaritas) Jersey City location will get these too as we are in the process of obtaining a full liq lic. here as well. We never said guac wasn't mexican, others said we said. We have been fortunate (actually fortune has nothing to do with it) that the response in NY has been stellar. But as someone has already pointed out, there really is nothing like the original. Peace.

S/He's Right.

"5. no tableside guacamole service. in fact, we don't even have guacamole."

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 21:18
Group:
Registered Users
This is The Taco Truck...I can not for the life of me figure out why the owners at Taqueria would hijack our name....

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The funny thing is, guacamole IS a part of authentic Mexican cuisine. It might not be a part of authentic CALI-MEX (which Taqueria resembles the most), but it absolutely is a part of Mexican food. Regardless ... isn't "No guacamole" one of Taqueria's 10 Commandments? So does the LES location not have 10 commandments? Does it have only 9?

I am a big fan of the food at Taqueria. But the attitudes at the counter cause me to limit my visits to once every couple months or so.

I was actually the one who ressurected this thread, after having a slightly subpar experience the last time I was in there. The owners did not seem to be present. My cecina taco was really chewy/fatty, which I have never encountered at Taqueria.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I am not a big Guacamole fan -- but I like vegetarian options!

Skipping the personal crap -- what is the big deal about Guacamole one way or the other?

===================

A Quick History of Guacamole

The Aztecs invented it.

Seriously, that's it. When the Spaniards encountered the Aztec empire back in the 1500s, the locals were making a sauce called ahuaca-mulli, which means "avocado-mixture." The dish was prepared by mashing avocados, sometimes with tomatoes and onions. Sound familiar? Add a few hot peppers and a touch of cilantro, and you've got modern guac.

As the Spanish tended to do with all good ideas from the New World, they stole the best ideas from the natives and brought what they could back to Spain. Unfortunately for our friends in Europe, avocados don't grow particularly well in the Old World, making fresh guac the province of the Americas for the next several hundred years. Sailors and travelers ate various forms of the stuff, notably the English who made avocado paste, called it "midshipman's butter," and spread it on their hardtack.

The word "avocado" descends linguistically from the ancient Nahuatl (a dialect of ancient Aztec) word ahuacatl, meaning "testicles." Some language experts think that the conquistadors combined the Nahuatl with the Spanish "abogado" (lawyer) to make the present word for our favorite green fruit. So, when you're eating guac, you're chowing on mashed lawyer balls.

Most American avocados come from California, where there over 6,000 avocado groves dot the southern part of the state. Most of those avocados are of the Hass variety (Haas is a common misspelling); Florida avocados are larger, more fibrous, and taste worse, like everything from Florida. Outside the US, avocados are grown in Mexico, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Spain, Israeal, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Current US policy essentially forbids the importation of avocados from Mexico, driving up domestic prices and making it nearly impossible to get a decent avocado outside of California for less than two bucks.

Modern guacamole comes in many forms. In some taquerias, it's large chunks of barely-cut avocado, in others it's a paste with a lively mixture of tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. And in some unfortunate cases, it's a soupy liquid with equal parts avocado, water, and sour cream. At any rate, it's very difficult to improve on the recipe that the Aztecs pioneered hundreds of years ago.

Click links below:

http://www.burritophile.com/articles/ ... -history-of-guacamole.php

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid ... UTF-8&q=history+Guacamole

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid ... l0l256l256l2-1l1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6a466a86c28e7859&biw=1022&bih=515

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
"The guacamole is OUT OF CONTROL, among the best I've ever had."
-Jessica P.
Piscataway, NJ

hahaha. Man, wish we could get that in JC.

"service is all smiles, and I've never been hurried"

"something casual and not too fussy"

"The most impressive thing about this place, besides the food, was the service. Our waiter was prompt and engaging. And when my mom and I started to have a moment, he did the unthinkable- left us alone! How many waiters do you know will wait to ask if we need another drink until the conversation is done? Very impressive."

"Service is excellent, great laid back vibe."

Wow. amazing. makes me wanna go there.

They probably have a playground for kids as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Not moving on until we get guacamole. Can I get that prepared table side or is that pushing it?

What is this, Charritos? *Scoffs*

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not moving on until we get guacamole. Can I get that prepared table side or is that pushing it?

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
Here's some honest questions for all you Taqueria lovers: if the "business model" is so good in Jersey City (i.e. pretentious / cheeky humor, no guac because it's not authentic, etc.), why is there a completely different model in NYC?

Could it be that the Jersey City location was merely nothing more than a market research ploy in order to see what works and what doesn't work in the NYC market? It's certainly possible, especially given the owner's most recent comments about the "class" of the clientele in Jersey City.

If this is indeed true (and this is nothing more than speculation at this point, but could wind up being true if Taqueria closes in the next ~3-6 months), would your viewpoint change at all? Or would it still be that great taco joint that "does so much for the neighborhood"?

Could this help explain to the naysayers (who have no idea how anyone could say anything bad about Taqueria) why a thread with 400 posts exists on the topic?

I think you're overthinking it. It's a $2.50 taco we're talking about and a damn good one at that. If you like it - go. Eat. But be prepared to wait sometimes because there are plenty of other people who like it too. If you don't like it, then don't go.

The 400 posts thing - probably 300+ come from 20 - 25 people. You can find a couple dozen people who hate anything. The passion and stamina of those 25 people is amazing, though.

But can we move on now? Isn't there a car parked eight feet from a crosswalk somewhere or a pile of dog poop where it ought not be?

Posted on: 2011/7/19 20:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure something was indeed said about their kid. Like I said, not a defense, but the quote is below. And as for the previous posters question, many readers here have not had any of the aforementioned problems at Taqueria. I personally don't care about the lack of guac, and as I find the prices reasonable, I for one do not care if they have it. I am sure some people have had bad experiences at the place. I don't doubt it for a second, but this thread is taking on a very personal nature, and although the owners comment was unnecessary, this thread is overdone. Just don't go there, and leave a review on yelp and move on.

jcboyz
Home away from home

Screw the food, the owners are the biggest DOUCHE BAGS in JC!!!! WTF, these people suck so screw them and their kid!

Posted on: 2011/7/19 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rbnyfan wrote:
Well there you have it folks. The LES spot has learned from the constant mistakes of the JC spot. Guac + good customer service = an ok joint. Now the question is - will Taqueria fix all that's wrong at the JC spot? Will they continue to be d-bags (except the baby obviously); after all, why should lower class customers deserve the same kind of treatment as the high class NYC customers? Only time will tell.

I think the obvious answer is they will rant on JCList where half their customer base logs on or hears about from someone else who logs on. They will probably crucify you in their rant for even suggesting that they need to change anything. Instead of fixing their problems they will blame bad customers. They will say JC isn't ready for authentic Los Angelesian Mexican food. They will tell us instead how unrefined our palettes are because some people will wonder why Mexican food doesn't have guacamole. And then just for good measure they will reprimand us for references that were never even made about their children while simultaneously yelling at pregnant customers for sitting down before placing their food order. Because that's what ordering food in Mexico is like. That's authentic.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's some honest questions for all you Taqueria lovers: if the "business model" is so good in Jersey City (i.e. pretentious / cheeky humor, no guac because it's not authentic, etc.), why is there a completely different model in NYC?

Could it be that the Jersey City location was merely nothing more than a market research ploy in order to see what works and what doesn't work in the NYC market? It's certainly possible, especially given the owner's most recent comments about the "class" of the clientele in Jersey City.

If this is indeed true (and this is nothing more than speculation at this point, but could wind up being true if Taqueria closes in the next ~3-6 months), would your viewpoint change at all? Or would it still be that great taco joint that "does so much for the neighborhood"?

Could this help explain to the naysayers (who have no idea how anyone could say anything bad about Taqueria) why a thread with 400 posts exists on the topic?

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
this entire post is baffling to me. my husband & i go to taqueria every weekend, we've never had a problem with anyone that works there nor have we ever seen any customers have issues while we're there. we've been going for years. not one single issue. tons of tasty meals. i'm not saying we walk in there & run over to hug us but that's not what i expect either. nor do i get that type of treatment at any other food establishment i frequent regularly in jc.

that being said: tacotruck dude, you're breaking my heart with that jc lower class bullshit statement. there wouldn't be a taqueria lower east side if it wasn't for your loyal jc customers. an apology and adding guacamole to the menu in jc might make up for that one but i'm tremendously disappointed.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
They have chips too! Wtf?

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well there you have it folks. The LES spot has learned from the constant mistakes of the JC spot. Guac + good customer service = an ok joint. Now the question is - will Taqueria fix all that's wrong at the JC spot? Will they continue to be d-bags (except the baby obviously); after all, why should lower class customers deserve the same kind of treatment as the high class NYC customers? Only time will tell.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Do the drunk LESiders get Fajitas too? Do the wait staff have to wear the requisite 5 pieces of flair? Cause that's high class!

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, seriously ... if the service is so good at the LES location, no wonder the customers on the LES show so much more "class".

If the LES customers were given the surly attitudes that are fairly common at the Grove Street location, would they continue to show such "class"? I think they would not.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
"The guacamole is OUT OF CONTROL, among the best I've ever had."
-Jessica P.
Piscataway, NJ

hahaha. Man, wish we could get that in JC.

"service is all smiles, and I've never been hurried"

"something casual and not too fussy"

"The most impressive thing about this place, besides the food, was the service. Our waiter was prompt and engaging. And when my mom and I started to have a moment, he did the unthinkable- left us alone! How many waiters do you know will wait to ask if we need another drink until the conversation is done? Very impressive."

"Service is excellent, great laid back vibe."

Wow. amazing. makes me wanna go there.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
OMGWTFBBQ THE LES TAQUERIA HAS GUACAMOLE

STOP THE PRESSES!

Cue 3 comments about selling out, 2 about avocado based discrimination, 1 history lesson on Mexican traditions involving avocados, complaints from at least 4 people who've never eaten there, etc.

:) :) :)

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
"Can't even tell you the difference in class in the clientele in NYC than that in Jersey. So don't worry, it's just a matter of time before we close the jersey store. " Nicely put by the owner of the Taqueria.

As a parent myself, I agree, no one should stoop to calling someone's kid by names. But I think the response by the owner, and his padding back his words, is more deplorable.

Please keep your words and do close the Jersey Store. Residents of Jersey, your lower class clientele, we have to be an absolute idiots to spend our money on an establishment where the owner is shows such a disregard for the town that enriched him. So I encourage people to spend their hard earned dollars elsewhere to support other eateries that are actually grateful and kind to their clienteles.

Shame on you Taqueria.

Why is everyone carrying on and on about what he wrote? Did he specifically call you lower class? Why would you be offended by someone calling JC lower class? Perhaps JC is. I know what kind of person I am and I am certainly not offended. If you are not low class then you shouldn't be offended either.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Mentioning our little girl is exactly the class that we have come to expect from jersey city. Luckily...(actually luck has nothing to do with it) taqueria downtown is so busy and runs well enough on its own, so we can focus on taqueria LES. Can't even tell you the difference in class in the clientele in NYC than that in Jersey. So don't worry, it's just a matter of time before we close the jersey store. You can say whatever you want about our store and about us and you do and that's fine. We've lived with it for years. But if you have something to say about our child who has nothing to do with anything, I urge you to come in and say it directly to our face and for once not cower behind the anonimity of the internet. Anyway...everyone else have a nice day. Let the jclist discussions begin...

Thanks for the insult. Yep, we're all slobs living in outrageously expensive homes, paying outrageous rents. The lower east side clientele is so much more high brow. I'm not sure if you realize this but one reason you've succeeded so well in Jersey City is because there is NO competition. Good luck selling tacos in the lower east side. Maybe the high brow clientele from St. Marks Place will keep your business afloat. I'm not sure where you learned your business skills from, but I'd suggest you go back to school. Insulting the entire city that has made your business a success isn't exactly the way to grow your success.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
CatDog said that he was kidding and it was a response to another poster, so no one called the baby a douchebag.

I personally don't want to see Taqueria DT go, like I said, we go there often and like the food. However, Taqueria's post really left a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended). Your response to a slight from one poster who called your child a name turned into you completely trashing the city where you operate your business and the customers who patron your business.

So the JC residents who put money in your pockets are "low class"? You do realize that the people who go to your restaurant are not the ones who called out your baby, nor flaming your restuarant? This really makes me sad that you feel that way and I have to say, makes me uncomfortable going back. I'm sure I will go again sometime, because my kids ask for it and I like to make my kids happy. Honestly, I'd like to see an actual apology for what you said. I guess you "took it back" but you really didn't say "Hey, I said a crappy thing, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to say my customers are low class."

There are jerks who will hate you in any city. A few years ago, a bunch of moms boycotted a restaurant in Park Slope bc they banned strollers. Their business was affected enough and they realized they pissed off their customers so much that they lifted the ban. All I have to say is, it doesn't take much to piss off your customers to the point where they just won't come back. And it doesn't take much for a businesss to just admit that they are wrong to make their customers happy.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
what the hell is wrong with you people?

Why would you encourage businesses to leave Jersey City? The economy is bad enough as it is, and it?s far too difficult for new businesses to open in this city. Why start vendettas with businesses that do nothing but bring benefits to the neighborhood?

If you don?t like the place, then don?t go there. A lot of people love the business and want to see it stay around for a long time.

What kind of person goes somewhere, decides they don?t like it, and then spends the next few years complaining about it on a message board? Grow up.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 16:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
"Can't even tell you the difference in class in the clientele in NYC than that in Jersey. So don't worry, it's just a matter of time before we close the jersey store. " Nicely put by the owner of the Taqueria.

As a parent myself, I agree, no one should stoop to calling someone's kid by names. But I think the response by the owner, and his padding back his words, is more deplorable.

Please keep your words and do close the Jersey Store. Residents of Jersey, your lower class clientele, we have to be an absolute idiots to spend our money on an establishment where the owner is shows such a disregard for the town that enriched him. So I encourage people to spend their hard earned dollars elsewhere to support other eateries that are actually grateful and kind to their clienteles.

Shame on you Taqueria.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
It's okay to vent. Look, bottom line is no amount of horrible treatment from Taq warrants calling our darling little precious bundle of joy a d-bag. (We were just playing with her and can assure you she's really not) Those who like us really like us and it's awesome. We like you too and don't worry we're not going anywhere. And those that don't, well they despise our very being (and that of our precious little bundle of joy) And that seems to about sum it up. No more posts on our part are necessary.

No one should call your child names but now that you are a parent it's time to pony-up and set a good example of how to be nice to people.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
It's okay to vent. Look, bottom line is no amount of horrible treatment from Taq warrants calling our darling little precious bundle of joy a d-bag. (We were just playing with her and can assure you she's really not) Those who like us really like us and it's awesome. We like you too and don't worry we're not going anywhere. And those that don't, well they despise our very being (and that of our precious little bundle of joy) And that seems to about sum it up. No more posts on our part are necessary.

Posted on: 2011/7/19 15:07

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017