Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bergen Lafayette: Three wounded, one critically, as shots fired at block party
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
ps - this is where the new pool is located yipee!!

Seriously, I posted that I wanted to try out the pool but I have to admit I am nervous about taking my kids to this neighborhood. Sigh.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 22:08

Re: Bergen Lafayette: Three wounded, one critically, as shots fired at block party
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
None of the people who were shot there live in this Lafayette neighborhood. It is frustrating that 15-year-olds are partying outside that park at midnight. It would be great if they actually did enforce the curfew before things like this happen.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
These situations are always horrific, but I guess it is worth mentioning that crime in the US has been getting better the last few decades so we're doing something right.

Still, remind me to refuse my next invitation to a block party in Bergen.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
i received my Liberty Lines - JC Public School flyer in the mail yesterday and they did mention the C.A.S.P.E.R after school programs but no way to learn more about it. The Big Brother/Big Sister programs got a few mentions. Perhaps these need more attention or some better PR. In my view the very important Big Brother/Big Sister programs need a national PR/marketing overhaul.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Sports programs are after school programs and generally over 50% of school populations take part in them. Plus they generally cost much less than extra policing.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
ps - this is where the new pool is located yipee!!

Posted on: 2011/7/10 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
...I would rather they just admit curfew laws in many ways are just plain ineffective. In fact, studies show that more delinquency and crime happens in the hours just after school then during curfew hours. It seems to me that JC should give more emphasis to the benefits of afterschool programs for at risk youth. The other sad fact that results in defending curfew laws is that once a kid enters into this juvenile justice system and all the stigma that goes with it they are more likely to continue down the road of criminal activity.

If "studies show that more delinquency and crime happens in the hours just after school then during curfew hours" then it seems to argue for more policing right after school (and for keeping students in at lunch) -- rather than spending more on some kind of after school activities... but if you really want after school programs maybe support cutting the sports programs that cost a fortune and only help a tiny handful of kids -- and use those funds for optional after school educational programs for everyone.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
As a JC resident for nearly 10 years I think what Martinez says is pure PR spin and hog wash:

"Lt. Edgar Martinez said police are continuing to enforce the 11 p.m. curfew for minors and said parents will be held responsible for children on the street after 11. There will be no tolerance in this and we will be enforcing the curfew rigorously,? Martinez said.

If your going to make bold statements at least have a comprehensive curfew plan in place. I doubt very much that Healy and the police commissioner give much thought to curfew laws because I have never seen or read about these laws "rigorously" enacted on, budget issues or not.

I would rather they just admit curfew laws in many ways are just plain ineffective. In fact, studies show that more delinquency and crime happens in the hours just after school then during curfew hours. It seems to me that JC should give more emphasis to the benefits of afterschool programs for at risk youth. The other sad fact that results in defending curfew laws is that once a kid enters into this juvenile justice system and all the stigma that goes with it they are more likely to continue down the road of criminal activity.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 13:00

Bergen Lafayette: Three wounded, one critically, as shots fired at block party
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Three wounded, one critically, as shots fired at party Published: Saturday, July 09, 2011, 3:01 AM By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal A Jersey City man was left in critical condition after being shot during a block party near Dr. Ercel F. Webb Park yesterday, and a 15-year-old boy and a second man were also shot, officials said. Officers responding to reports of gunfire at Van Horne and Maple streets at 12:22 a.m. found no victims, but soon learned they were at the Jersey City Medical Center and responded there, reports said. The most seriously wounded was a 25-year-old Palisade Avenue man who was shot in the lower back with the bullet passing through a kidney and lodging in his liver, reports said, adding that he refused to cooperate. A 21-year-old Virginia Avenue man arrived at the hospital with a bullet wound to his left forearm, reports said. He told police he was at the party when a person began firing into the crowd, reports said. A 15-year-old boy was being treated for a gunshot wound to his upper thigh and his mother told police the boy said he ran when he heard gunfire and then felt the bullet bite into his leg, reports said. The mother is being cited for allowing the teen to be out after curfew, police said. Lt. Edgar Martinez said police are continuing to enforce the 11 p.m. curfew for minors and said parents will be held responsible for children on the street after 11. ?There will be no tolerance in this and we will be enforcing the curfew rigorously,? Martinez said. Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 10:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017