Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anyone know more about the mugging on Jersey Ave. & 5th?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/1 0:16
Group:
Registered Users
I was mugged 1 year ago on Jersey & 5th. It is nice that the residents of the area helped her...when it happened to me there weren't many people around.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 3:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/25 16:25
Group:
Registered Users
I also heard there was an attempted mugging last week in Paulus Hook. Happened after midnight on a weekday, I think she was followed from the PATH.

Why doesn't anyone hear about this stuff from the police?

Posted on: 2011/6/30 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I think the real story here is that at 10:30 pm there were a number of people who ran to help a woman they apparently did not know. That speaks very well of the neighborhood.

You never want to see anyone get mugged, but if this is the response of neighbors you can be pretty sure that it will not be a regular occurrence in the area. Good job to everyone involved, this is the sort of thing that makes for a real sense of community with everyone looking out for one another.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 20:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I heard second-hand:
==============
A woman from Hamilton Park was walking through the area of 5th and Jersey Avenue around 10:30 on a Thursday evening. Her purse was grabbed and the person ran east on 5th Street. Two passers-by went after the perp, one on skateboard. Apparently, they were close enough to scare the perp and he/she threw the purse into a garbage. The purse was recovered.

The woman had held onto her purse and was knocked down/dragged in the scuffle; she may have hit her head.

There were a lot of people in the area at the time and about 15-20 people quickly convened to help.
===============[/quote]

I will second Gordonh's second hand account. I was a block or so north walking my dogs when I heard the victim screaming for help. When it happened there weren't many people around except three people sitting the stoop hanging out and apparently the skate board kid. One of those people on the stoop was one that started chasing the perp.

By the time I circled around the block with my dogs, many of the neighbors were out helping her, searching for her bag and found her bag, and then the cops arrived.

It was definitely scary and who knows how long the perp was following her. She was very shaken, as I would be too. It's just a reminder that no matter how safe we feel downtown that everyone should be aware of their surroundings and be cautious.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattSchapiro wrote:
Anyway -- back on topic:

Does anyone have any info on the mugging, confirmation it really happened, what really happened, etc.?

I heard second-hand:
==============
A woman from Hamilton Park was walking through the area of 5th and Jersey Avenue around 10:30 on a Thursday evening. Her purse was grabbed and the person ran east on 5th Street. Two passers-by went after the perp, one on skateboard. Apparently, they were close enough to scare the perp and he/she threw the purse into a garbage. The purse was recovered.

The woman had held onto her purse and was knocked down/dragged in the scuffle; she may have hit her head.

There were a lot of people in the area at the time and about 15-20 people quickly convened to help.
===============

Posted on: 2011/6/30 17:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/2 11:39
Group:
Registered Users
i saw the post also where are the police i dont feelafe walking alone even during the day i am a single woman i am glad there are still people willing to come to a persons aide when they need help. something must be done to stop these crimes i been a resident all my life but now i dont feel safe asnymore even in daylight

Posted on: 2011/6/29 13:56

Anyone know more about the mugging on Jersey Ave. & 5th?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Read a note on the telephone pole thanking people who came to this persons rescue. Seem to believe it was June 16th? Surprised nothing was posted.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 11:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017