Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
21 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 19

JCMan8, exart, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

The 9th Street Monster

Hide User information
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a very little kid riding on "the Tubes" I remember in the dusty old 9th Street Station in Manhattan, from within the bend of the in-coming tunnel on the 33rd St.-Jnl Sq. side of the station, there was a hideous hiss--clomp, hiss-clomp noise in the tunnel that sounded like The Monster Of Piedras Blancas movie monster walking in the tunnel.

Anyone know what that noise actually was? It gave me the creeps, I'd hide in dad's or mom's coat when we entered the station and I heard it.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 22:14
Print Top

Live Poultry & Long Gone Movie Theater

Hide User information
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Live Poultry Market-There was one near Montgomery Street. The tiny building still stands.

The Movie Theater across from the Central Ave. Police Station. I vaguely recall being glad to leave, going down its carpeted staircase..the second feature: PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DASIES, was absolutely awful and boring. It still is !!!

The Fairmount Hospital-was "kid friendly" as was Saint Francis. The Medical Center was Frankenstein's Lab to little kids-the scariest hospital in the city.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:40
Print Top

The Good , The Bad And The Ugly Of Old Jersey City

Hide User information
From Central New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Several memories. One maybe someone can remember:
I vaguely remember between Oakland Avenue and Cook Street where now is a huge parking lot...there was a gully, a bid deep crater. In it were several rows of army-style buildings in which Black Families lived. It was bulldozed and now a parking lot for over ....55 years? Was I hallucinating or was it really there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Memories, THE GOOD: Fisher Beer was the 5 & 10 next to the State Theater.
The huge vacant lot between Summit Ave and JFK (formerly HUDSON) Blvd. Only the library and one St. John's Apts. building was there, between them...it looked like Hiroshima after the blast for a few years in the early 1960's around the time Kennedy was shot.
ACME Super Market on Hoboken and Summit Aves. where the Hudson Bank drive-in now stands.

The Rosewood Malt Shop on Bergen Ave. near Vroom ST. had swastika tyles on the floor (obviously put there long before Hitler)

Bickford's on the Square and the McGinley Square Bus Station(where the tramps hung out inside who looked like out've the Great Depression).
Coward Shoes
Thorne's Women's where owned by a former Czech movie star prior to WW 2.

The Pix Theater Saturday Matinees which showed movies later put on CHILLER THEATER on t.v.
Other Memories: THE BAD:

The Jersey Journal use to print "A Negro" if someone arrested was Black. They'd put his name, the above , his age and address. They didn't do it for any other race. They continued to do it until I think Dr. King was killed(old Microfilms at the Jersey Ave. library will prove what I say).

Kids with "funny names" that weren't Irish or Italian were open-targets for bullies. Even in the Catholic Schools. When the first Black kid came to our Catholic school (I won't say the name to avoid embarassment-you'll know which one!) the other kids jumped on him like paranas. I don't recall what happened to him. His first name was Joseph and the last name started with a T.. That's all I'll share.

Other Meories: THE UGLY:

If you were suspected to be gay in Jersey City of the Old Days you had as much of a chance as a Hassidic Jew in 1940 Berlin. Now Jersey City was ranked #3 in the state for Gay Friendly.

The Jersey Journal use to print Sodomy arrests and "suspected homosexuals" arrested on suspicion, their names and addresses in the paper. Again, check the microfilms.
Neighborhoods had "color lines" usually enforced by some checker-shirted Archie Bunker who lived on the street who hoisted the Star Spangled Banner every morning on his porch). I was told once that a little kid I invited to the wading pool in my yard had to go away because "a neighbor complained I violated the color line" to my parents.
He was a dark-complexioned Hispanic*(*that made it even worse). ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jersey City, like any place in the country or the world, has its good memories and bad. These are part of our history. What is important is what we've become and we're a vibrant multi-cultured and welcoming city now. We are not a "little red neck town frozen in the 1950's" as some New Yorkers said about us back then.
I love Jersey City and am also a historian.
Final note, a foundation of one of the towering beams for the old trolley tressle to Hoboken is still under the State Highway ramp to the Holland Tunnel, know where it is?

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:30
Print Top

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The Wonder Store was on Newark Avenue, between Erie and Jersey, acroos the street from the Palace Theater. On the Next block, by Coles, was Lou's Clam Bar, and across the Street was Uneeda Fashions, where I worked during high School

Posted on: 2011/8/19 0:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Stretching the point a bit but July 30th is the anniversary of the Black Tom explosion at the location that is now the Southern edge of Liberty State Park. In 1916 German agents set off a huge explosion. At the time it was a rail yard and since it was wartime the rolling stock was largely ammunition and explosives. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion

From the article: ..."Fragments from the explosion traveled long distances, some lodging in the Statue of Liberty and some in the clock tower of the Jersey Journal building in Journal Square, over a mile away, stopping the clock at 2:12 a.m."..... Hard to believe debris could be thrown all the way to Journal Square! Also, its closer to four miles away, not just one mile. It must have broken every window in town.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 1:28
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Darkvark wrote:
Brummers was located in the Junction area where Communipaw Avenue meets Grand Street and Ocean Avenue, about two blocks from St Patrick's Church. It's now an insurance office. The soda fountain was a classic marble top which was absolutely beautiful . I wonder what ever happened to it.

So Brummers was not the ice cream parlor which had been next to the Stanley Theater. Ice cream parlor which was next to the Stanley Theater may have existed in the '50s or earlier but not in later time periods. I didn't live in JC in the '50s but a friend of mine did. According to my friend, there was pancake house near the Journal Square concourse when he was living in JC.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 23:33
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Brummers was located in the Junction area where Communipaw Avenue meets Grand Street and Ocean Avenue, about two blocks from St Patrick's Church. It's now an insurance office. The soda fountain was a classic marble top which was absolutely beautiful . I wonder what ever happened to it.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 21:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

I remember a deli/convenience store which was across the street from DHS. Perhaps Rands was located near the deli. My friends & I used to purchase snacks from the deli during lunch break when we were attending Dickinson H.S. The name Rands seems familiar but I don't recall if I've ever been to the restaurant.

Louie's Candy Store on Newark was popular with DHS students... candy, comic books, and loose cigarettes for a dime. It was on Newark and Palisade across from the school and Hudson Gardens. High Pockets (later the Bus Stop) was the bar on the corner of Chestnut and Newark Avenues.

I vaguely recall a liquor store type of business which was located on the corner of Newark & Chestnut Avenues. Perhaps the liquor store I remember was the bar.

That is Mars Liquors. It's still there under different owners for the last 20 years. The old Mars was a great deli. The old High Pockets (later Bus Stop) Bar is a Spanish restaurant on Newark and Chestnut. The Dominican Bodega on the east corner of Newark and Chestnut was a Salvation Army Store.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 10:46
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

I remember a deli/convenience store which was across the street from DHS. Perhaps Rands was located near the deli. My friends & I used to purchase snacks from the deli during lunch break when we were attending Dickinson H.S. The name Rands seems familiar but I don't recall if I've ever been to the restaurant.

Louie's Candy Store on Newark was popular with DHS students... candy, comic books, and loose cigarettes for a dime. It was on Newark and Palisade across from the school and Hudson Gardens. High Pockets (later the Bus Stop) was the bar on the corner of Chestnut and Newark Avenues.

I vaguely recall a liquor store type of business which was located on the corner of Newark & Chestnut Avenues. Perhaps the liquor store I remember was the bar.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 23:54
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
The Driftwood restaurant was next to the State Theater according various posts on to this discussion. However, a friend of mine remembers an ice cream parlor/restaurant that was next to the State Theater. Perhaps the ice cream parlor/restaurant existed during an earlier time period. Was that ice cream parlor/restaurant which was next to the State Theater named Rand's Ice Cream or was it Brummer's Ice Cream Parlor?

Rands was located on Newark Avenue across the street from DHS, so it must have been Brummers. The Rands property was a check cashing place (closed now) and the parking lot is currently rented for long term parking.

Rands was the best ice cream that I had ever had. During the Summer even before they closed, the line for ice cream was always long.

Louie's was probably the store that my friends & I went to during many lunch periods to buy our snacks. As I remember, the store also sold newspapers & magazines. I don't remember High Pockets. My DHS friends & I were not old enough to drink when I attend the school. I attended DHS for the 9th grade only. My family moved from Jersey City to South Jersey when I was in high school. There were probably some delis near DHS in the '70s. I remember that some schoolmates would purchase a hoagie, chips & soda during lunch break at the delis near the school. The students could also purchase hoagies & chips in the school's cafeteria.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 12:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
The Driftwood restaurant was next to the State Theater according various posts on to this discussion. However, a friend of mine remembers an ice cream parlor/restaurant that was next to the State Theater. Perhaps the ice cream parlor/restaurant existed during an earlier time period. Was that ice cream parlor/restaurant which was next to the State Theater named Rand's Ice Cream or was it Brummer's Ice Cream Parlor?

Rands was located on Newark Avenue across the street from DHS, so it must have been Brummers. The Rands property was a check cashing place (closed now) and the parking lot is currently rented for long term parking.

Rands was the best ice cream that I had ever had. During the Summer even before they closed, the line for ice cream was always long.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:49
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/7/4 18:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i do remember as a kid going up to central avenue with my mom and grandmother to the wonder store. i recently saw one down the shore near tinton falls. it brought me back.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 4:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
my grandmother used to pick me up in her 87 hyundai excel to pick up rands root beer floats. talk about heaven after school...

Posted on: 2011/6/29 4:48
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/6/28 23:41
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/28 22:16
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Simonetti And Sullivan was on Monticello not Jackson.

Posted on: 2011/6/28 10:59
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The third photo on this Pleasant Family Shopping web page shows the Two Guys store on Route 440 in JC in 1964. I forgot how large the store was until I saw this photo.

"Two Guys Discount Stores '64 edition"
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspo ... -stores-1964-edition.html

Posted on: 2011/6/27 18:38
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

I've thought of looking at old telephone books to find the information. I've been told by a friend who lived in JC until the early '70s that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s.

I remember my mother taking me there in the early to mid '70's for school clothes so that place must have been in business throughout the decade of the '70's.

The person who told me that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s probably has a faulty memory. That person also told me that the Two Guys store on Route 440 closed in '74. There are internet bloggers who remember that the Two Guys store on Route 440 closed in the early '80s. Most of the Two Guys stores in the U.S. closed in the late '70s or early '80s. I vaguely recall going to a Robert Hall store in the Jersey City/NYC area in the mid '70s. The store was probably the Robert Hall store on Route 440 if the store still existed at that time.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 18:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Great question, if you go to the N.J Room in the main library they have old telephone books start looking up the store either in the white pages under RH or under clothing in the yellow pages. I bet the county has records of this place as well. You'll obviously have to do some diging and heavy research.

I've thought of looking at old telephone books to find the information. I've been told by a friend who lived in JC until the early '70s that the Robert Hall store on Route 440 closed in the mid '60s.

I remember my mother taking me there in the early to mid '70's for school clothes so that place must have been in business throughout the decade of the '70's.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 20:56
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/6/26 19:53
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

Anyone remember Bonetti Pizza on Kennedy Blvd? That's got to be gone close to 25 years, and I think the sign is still there and I think the store front is still vacant.

I remember Bonetti Pizza on Kennedy Boulevard. (The restaurant may have named Bonetti's Pizza.) I lived close to the pizza restaurant.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 14:56
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Nice! (click image to Blow It Up)

More here: (click link)
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/title_page.pl

Posted on: 2011/6/19 19:30
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Woolworth was near the old Hudson Tubes (PATH) transportation Hub before the new complex was completed in 1976. Woolworth was across from the Tube Bar and pizzeria.

Across the street from the State Theater was Liss Pharmacy which was as large as a department store complete with a lunch counter. Next to the Lowes Theater was J.M. Fields which is now the C.H. Martin.

Thanks, Shadrack! I'm not sure why but someone mistakenly told me that there was a Woolworth store near the State Theater. There was probably another department store near the State Theater which I may have visited. I remember Liss Pharmacy & J.M. Fields. I used to go to Liss Pharmacy for cold remedies. I went to J.M. Fields to shop for school clothes before the school year began when I was living in JC. I left the city in late June of '75.

It could be that a Wolworth store existed near the State Theater during an earlier time period than the '70s

This 1972 photo shows Kennedy Boulevard near Journal Square.
(State Theater, Rags to Riches, Joyce Leslie, Moriel’s, Lynns, Kitty Kelly & Danny Mack shoe stores) http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?656

Posted on: 2011/6/19 16:47
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
- Fights at Dickinson H.S between the Sons of Marion and Brothers of the Jersey City Heights

When I went to Dickinson there were very, very few fights. I went to the school for 1 year in the mid '70s which is probably later in time than when you went to the school.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 11:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Woolworth was near the old Hudson Tubes (PATH) transportation Hub before the new complex was completed in 1976. Woolworth was across from the Tube Bar and pizzeria.

Across the street from the State Theater was Liss Pharmacy which was as large as a department store complete with a lunch counter. Next to the Lowes Theater was J.M. Fields which is now the C.H. Martin.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 10:32
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Where was the Woolworth store in Journal Square located? Was it near the State Theater? If the store did exist on Kennedy Boulevard near the State Theater, when did it close? (In the '30s, there was a Woolworth store on Bergen Avenue near Journal Square.) I remember going to a department store which was near the State Theater in the mid '70s. The store was probably Woolworth, Lynns or Moriel's.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 10:11
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone remember when the Bickford's cafeteria which was on the Journal Square concourse closed? I know it opened in the '30s & closed in the '70s but I don't know which year in the '70s the restaurant closed. Was Bickford's replaced by a Sound Machine music store? A Sound Machine music store was in operation on the Journal Square concourse in the mid ‘70s (probably ’76).

Posted on: 2011/6/19 6:56
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
And regarding the number 9 bus. l used to take it every day when I got my first job in NYC. There was a woman who was a dwarf who took the bus at the same time every morning. The mean busdrivers would never lower the bus for her, so one day I offered to help her. She was so little that I had to eventually pick her up and carry her up the stairs. I ended up doing that every morning for a year...........lol. I'm sure nobody cares, but it's killling me.

Think I remember her... worked with her at the Jersey Journal selling newspaper subscriptions at night.. her name was Sandy, hard time walking and her hair was all over the place. Maybe its the same person.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 23:07
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOU's dinner on Ocean. There was another small dinner on Ocean, between Cator and Danforth Avenue. The fish market on Danforth avenue and Meat City (?) on Ocean Avenue that sold bad meat. Clean-o-Rama, TONYS tailors with the albino guy that worked there back in the 70s. ARROW soda (?) was by HALLS on OCean avenue. You would go and buy a case of bottled soda (mixed Flavor) and return the empty bottles for a new batch. OMG, Barones Pizza (spelled wrong I'm sure) on Garfield by ACME.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 22:42
Print Top

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014