Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cabs from Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSJS wrote:
I more or less get why the laws were created back in the Great Depression.

Ok, can you tell me? Is it something better than to "protect a cartel for politically useful people"?

Quote:
I do wonder how lucrative of a business it would be to develop a license/medallion that would allow livery drivers to pick up pedestrians on this side of the river and take them to the city.

I wonder WHY we keep discussing THIS instead of asking for those laws to be destroyed altogether.

WHY do we want to have an artificial cartel that restricts the supply and drives up the prices? I know why current medallion-holders want it - they want to protect "their" market, but we, the consumers, WHY do we want it?

Really, someone, anyone - explain to me, why do you want your choice to be restricted, the supply monopolized and the prices to be artificially high?

Posted on: 2011/6/27 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSJS wrote:
I more or less get why the laws were created back in the Great Depression. But I think that, in the span of 80 years, society can stand to review and revise their laws to accommodate the evolution of society!

I do wonder how lucrative of a business it would be to develop a license/medallion that would allow livery drivers to pick up pedestrians on this side of the river and take them to the city. I mean, certainly during rush hour I don't think anyone would do that given the inbound Holland Tunnel traffic. I think the likely traffic would be for Manhattan cabs willing to drop off folks who live in JC vs. the reverse. Furthermore, if that would be the predominant revenue generator for NJ-based fares, I don't know if, in the scheme of things, it constitutes enough revenue for anyone in Albany, NYC, or even NJ, to make enough of a concerted effort to develop and lobby for a policy accommodating such. Much to my chagrin, of course.

But the cabs still have to go back to their home base of Nyc which requires them to sit in traffic through the tunnels waiting to cross which can be very time consuming.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 17:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
I more or less get why the laws were created back in the Great Depression. But I think that, in the span of 80 years, society can stand to review and revise their laws to accommodate the evolution of society!

I do wonder how lucrative of a business it would be to develop a license/medallion that would allow livery drivers to pick up pedestrians on this side of the river and take them to the city. I mean, certainly during rush hour I don't think anyone would do that given the inbound Holland Tunnel traffic. I think the likely traffic would be for Manhattan cabs willing to drop off folks who live in JC vs. the reverse. Furthermore, if that would be the predominant revenue generator for NJ-based fares, I don't know if, in the scheme of things, it constitutes enough revenue for anyone in Albany, NYC, or even NJ, to make enough of a concerted effort to develop and lobby for a policy accommodating such.

Much to my chagrin, of course.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
I wish someone explained to me why do we have those laws in the first place.

No, I understand, - to protect the high level of prices for those who are rich enough to buy medallions and to keep more poor people out of making some money in this business. Fine.

My question is, - why do WE need those laws, and why do WE need politicians who vote for them?

Posted on: 2011/6/25 20:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I would resurrect this topic given I just read this article in the NY Times. I certainly wish something like this could be lobbied in New Jersey for Hudson County!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/nyr ... html?nl=nyregion&emc=ura1

Posted on: 2011/6/25 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I think its outrageous that if you live in NY you have to pay sales tax for all online purchases. I also understand that there are benefits/cons to living in each state. You have to weigh among other things, more expensive cab fare or a condo that would cost at least double in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It just doesn't make sense. Hudson County is 100x more urban than Westchester or Nassau, and a heck of a lot closer to the city. I don't think that anybody in NJ or NY would deny that Hudson County is far more connected to the city than Westchester and Nassau. Within the 5 boroughs....I understand. But adding Westchester and Nassau (and not Hudson) is nonsense.

If it made sense, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But this does not make sense, and $55 cab rides to go 2 miles is robbery in my book.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So Nassau and Westchester get the meter, but Hudson County (MUCH closer to Manhattan) does not? That is absolutely outlandish. Just because it's in a different state?

Here again, remember that it's the NYC TLC. True, Nassau and Westchester don't have representation on the TLC or in NYC government, but they do have representatives in Albany, with whom Bloomberg et al must negotiate constantly on myriad issues (especially transportation issues), so NYC agencies can't just ignore them.

Jersey City, by contrast, has much less political leverage.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So Nassau and Westchester get the meter, but Hudson County (MUCH closer to Manhattan) does not? That is absolutely outlandish. Just because it's in a different state?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
While the yellow cabs do have the right to refuse service outside of the city, or not destined to Nassau and Westchester or the airports, I find generally that you can find drivers willing to do downtown for about $40.

Wait, your post is a little unclear ... taxis have the right to refuse service to Nassau and Westchester? Or they DON'T have the right to refuse service to those counties?

Sorry: So yellow cabs are required to service the airports, 5 boroughs, Westchester and Nassau for a meter rate. Nassau and Westchester have an out of city rate that is applied to the meter when the cab leaves the boroughs. (as a side note, the installation of GPS caught a number of cab drivers abusing the out of city rate by charging it while they were still within city limits).

All other destinations are negotiable.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Should Jersey City officials present this case to the TLC? Has this ever been discussed/brought up among officials?

A few weeks ago, a friend and I took a taxi from Houston Street to my house in VVP. $55. No exaggeration, the ride took 10 minutes.

How can we get fair fares :) in Jersey City??!!

I think it's important to note here that the NYC TLC doesn't give a crap about Jersey City, Hoboken, or anywhere else outside of NYC, especially outside NY State.

Its commissioners are selected by the NYC mayor, council, and borough councils. If people from western Brooklyn get gouged, they have a voice and a vote. We don't.

TLC board info

Posted on: 2011/5/19 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
I have not tried this but i plan to this weekend and will post the price i am charged but Uber has a great idea and has just been implemented in NYC. Check it out, just send a text and get a ride. http://www.uber.com/learn

Posted on: 2011/5/19 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
While the yellow cabs do have the right to refuse service outside of the city, or not destined to Nassau and Westchester or the airports, I find generally that you can find drivers willing to do downtown for about $40.

Wait, your post is a little unclear ... taxis have the right to refuse service to Nassau and Westchester? Or they DON'T have the right to refuse service to those counties?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
The taxi's can't pick up fares in NJ so they are also charging you for their time back to NYC.

They can't pick up fares in Westchester or Nassau, but the TCLC has a rubric: in town vs. out of town rates, so rides there are metered based on geography.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
The best thing you can do is negotiate and don't be afraid to turn down a cabbie. I usually offer a $30 or $35 flat rate to the cabbie. Some take it - others curse me out and drive off. Sometimes I'll just have them drop me off at the WTC PATH station since that is the shortest train ride back to Grove St.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
The taxi's can't pick up fares in NJ so they are also charging you for their time back to NYC.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's a very salient point, and a well stated one I might add. I have often wondered why folks who live in the same proximity of Manhattan as those of the other boroughs don't have access to the same taxi services. Certainly the population density is the same in Hudson County as the boroughs, so the ability to generate revenue through pedestrian traffic COULD exisit if laws were passed that institued the ability to hail a taxi on the streets of, say JC or Hoboken.

You probably are aware of this, but NYC Taxi Medallions are regulated by, I believe the TLC. The TLC imposes huge penalties if a vehicle not associated with a licensed medallion picks up a fare on any NYC street.

But I'll sign a petition to try to change that!

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:50

Cabs from Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I recently read that the 4 outer boroughs will now have cabs that are specifically assigned to drive around in the outer boroughs. This will obviously make it very easy for folks to get in and out of Manhattan by cab if desired....it's a great thing for late nights.

It got me thinking. Even before this new policy instituted by the TLC, it's always been very easy and inexpensive for somebody who lives in Brooklyn, say equally as close to Manhattan as somebody who lives in JC, to zip home at 1 am in a taxi.

Let's compare somebody who lives in say, Cobble Hill to somebody that lives on Grove Street in JC.

Let's say both people, separately, are having a few drinks in SoHo. The Brooklyn person hails a cab to head home...his cost? Probably $20. The JC person, who is equally as close to home as the Brooklyn person, hails a cab...the cost? $55. IF he/she is able to even convince the cabbie to cross the Hudson.

I understand that the Holland Tunnel has a toll, while the Brooklyn bridges do not. OK, I get that...but then why isn't the fare only $8 more than the Brooklyn person's fare??

Should Jersey City officials present this case to the TLC? Has this ever been discussed/brought up among officials?

A few weeks ago, a friend and I took a taxi from Houston Street to my house in VVP. $55. No exaggeration, the ride took 10 minutes.

How can we get fair fares :) in Jersey City??!!

Posted on: 2011/5/19 14:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017