Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ghetto Bar on 7th and Monmouth Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Well, don't bother calling the cops because guess who hangs out there? I have seen plenty of personal vehicles (PBA plates, JCPD hats in the back window etc.). I saw the JCPA come a little while ago because of all of the illegally parked cars and a detective came out to tell them to go away. Hopefully the new development across the street will have an impact, but I doubt it.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 14:51

Ghetto Bar on 7th and Monmouth Street
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/21 0:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is a big f*cking problem. I live close to the intersection and EVERY night theres a ruckus out front of the bar. The bar closes at 3am, and I know this because every night at 3 I hear loud music, fights, cursing and screaming.

What steps can I take to bring this down to a minimum?

My kids window is by the street and they can hear everything.

Every saturday (busiest night) around closing there is a fight. Always ends in bottle throwing and cops coming by.

I write this because its 3am and of course its happening again.

Someone help.
-Rush

Posted on: 2014/2/1 8:03

Another brawl at The Music Box, cops called
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
This is starting to become too frequent. The Music Box on 7th and Monmouth is a magnet for trouble. Last night the cops had to come out to break up what sounded like an ugly fight. People screaming, long past midnight. I think the owners of this crappy hole-in-the-wall need to start being help accountable for their drunken idiot customers getting wasted and belligerent.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:43
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Re: Music Box 7th and Monmouth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a recent update on this place? There are a few houses in the area that seem interesting but living across from a particularly loud bar isn't all that appealing.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Any updates on this place lately? I passed by recently and it seemed dead.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ShutItDown wrote:
I think Tommy has a really distorted perception of:

1. How difficult it is for a new bar/restaurant business starting up to turn a profit, in even a good economy, let alone this one;

2. The average income/ethnicity of the downtown jersey city population;

3. Posturing aside, how much sleep he'll truly lose when the lower income earning ethnic population of downtown JC moves out to those "other" parts of JC he has hardly ever driven through.

Did i miss anything?

I don't think I have a distorted view of any of your 3 bullet points. And I've walked through most parts of JC, and driven through all parts, often. I know where the good is, and where the bad is. At least 50% of JC falls in the bad category.

You're apparently missing my stance on this ... I was merely speculating/asking...how long do you think places like that stick around before cashing in on their location/liquor license.

Advice: Take it easy with your 9th post...unless of course you're a banned member from the past, which is likely.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/28 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ShutItDown wrote:

1. How difficult it is for a new bar/restaurant business starting up to turn a profit, in even a good economy, let alone this one;

3. Posturing aside, how much sleep he'll truly lose when the lower income earning ethnic population of downtown JC moves out to those "other" parts of JC he has hardly ever driven through.

Did i miss anything?

What exactly is an "ethnic population"?

Posted on: 2011/5/11 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/8 3:36
Group:
Registered Users

Did i miss anything?

Posted on: 2011/5/11 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Keyhole on 242 Bay at corner of Erie? That place is making a fortune! He buys cases of beer and sells at six times value, maybe more. And the place is like family for the puerto rican community downtown, usually older types, harmless in my opinion, chatting away, listening to music. Why would he sell? Take the money and do what, nothing and die. Some people just aren't programmed that way. I would not want that place to be turned into some half ass coffee and ham and cheese sandwich place. Rolon's Keyhole should be landmarked.

Amen, Brother!

Posted on: 2011/5/10 23:20
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Keyhole on 242 Bay at corner of Erie? That place is making a fortune! He buys cases of beer and sells at six times value, maybe more. And the place is like family for the puerto rican community downtown, usually older types, harmless in my opinion, chatting away, listening to music. Why would he sell? Take the money and do what, nothing and die. Some people just aren't programmed that way. I would not want that place to be turned into some half ass coffee and ham and cheese sandwich place. Rolon's Keyhole should be landmarked.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stupid_Little_Dogs wrote:
Quote : "Yes...my point there was to ask a serious question. How long before some of the owners of such establishments want to cash out and sell the business for big bucks? Keyhole is a perfect example. If I remember, the owner is an older guy."

Oh, you mean how long before they manage to completely push the Hispanic population out and turn it into a boring homogenized suburban strip mall?

I'd be horrified by that as much as you would be.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
But that being said, I would venture to guess that while some of the patrons at bars like Jordan's, Latin Lounge, Music Box, etc ARE from downtown, the majority (over 50%) of the patrons are NOT from downtown.

I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 15:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote : "Yes...my point there was to ask a serious question. How long before some of the owners of such establishments want to cash out and sell the business for big bucks? Keyhole is a perfect example. If I remember, the owner is an older guy."

Oh, you mean how long before they manage to completely push the Hispanic population out and turn it into a boring homogenized suburban strip mall?

Posted on: 2011/5/10 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's not mind boggling to me, I know that some of these people live downtown. My point is that, how long is it before the owners of some of the old timey bars like Keyhole realize that they can make a big, big payday with the sale of their business AND liquor license (the latter of which is hard to come by).

The example I have in my head is Keyhole, because of it's proximity to Newark Ave. With the changes that have occured and may continue to occur (more restaurants/bars moving in), the Keyhole, as a bar, will sit on some pretty highly coveted real estate.

That's my point.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
There are many bars around downtown JC (such as the Keyhole, Jordan's, Music Box, Latin Lounge, Indio's) that seemingly pull their customers from other neighborhoods aside from downtown.

With the ever-changing face of Downtown, how long do you guys see these places sticking around before they become restaurants, cafes, or bars that cater to the neighborhood?

The Music Box, Indios and Latin Lounge are all Latino bars. They are no more or less obnoxious than bars you will find on Washington Street in Hoboken. The difference might be that the Hoboken police have an easier job patrolling the strip at closing time on Washington, than the JC police do, but you'll find exactly the same issues.

I've been inside those 3 bars many times with my girlfriend. I've shot pool with the locals and I have never felt threatened nor unwelcome. Yes there are probably loud and obnoxious people leaving those bars at times, but no more than any place young people hang out - it just seems worse because other than the nighttime drama, the area is generally very quiet. And don't say these people are out-of-towners. The Latino population downtown is bigger than most people care to accept, and will likely grow bigger.

I agree that the patrons of most Hoboken bars are very loud and very obnoxious, but if you think that the average crowd at the average Hoboken bar is as potentially dangerous as the crowd on an average night at the Music Box, then I'm not sure that you're being totally honest with yourself.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 14:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
These places catered to the neighborhood LONG before the yuppies and hipsters starting ruining it.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The Music Box, Indios and Latin Lounge are all Latino bars. They are no more or less obnoxious than bars you will find on Washington Street in Hoboken. The difference might be that the Hoboken police have an easier job patrolling the strip at closing time on Washington, than the JC police do, but you'll find exactly the same issues.

I've been inside those 3 bars many times with my girlfriend. I've shot pool with the locals and I have never felt threatened nor unwelcome. Yes there are probably loud and obnoxious people leaving those bars at times, but no more than any place young people hang out - it just seems worse because other than the nighttime drama, the area is generally very quiet. And don't say these people are out-of-towners. The Latino population downtown is bigger than most people care to accept, and will likely grow bigger.

I agree with everything you said except the last part about likely growing bigger.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
There are many bars around downtown JC (such as the Keyhole, Jordan's, Music Box, Latin Lounge, Indio's) that seemingly pull their customers from other neighborhoods aside from downtown.

With the ever-changing face of Downtown, how long do you guys see these places sticking around before they become restaurants, cafes, or bars that cater to the neighborhood?

Posted on: 2011/4/20 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/19 21:44

Re: Obnoxious Bar on Monmouth and 7th
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
You have no idea what kind of can of worms you just opened on yourself. God speed.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 19:48

Bar on Monmouth and 7th

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 19:37
Group:
Registered Users
Whats up with the bar on Monmouth and 7th? Theres always cops there

Posted on: 2011/4/19 19:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/27 20:20
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 7th b/t Monmouth and Brunswick with my wife and 2 kids. Albeit the Music Box is not the finest establishment in JC, it is harmless. Sure there are folks who drink there and may be slightly more edgy than the White Star, they are harmless. I moved in in April and walk past there nearly every evening with wife / kids (wife and kids alone many times as well) and we have never had any problems at all.

Do not look for problems there and you should be fine.

For the record, I am closed to Brunswick adn only passy by... not so sure I would like to live too close b/c of noise, but then again, from what I have seen... no worse than any other bar.

I was a little worried at first about it too, but those worries were over done it seems.

Hope this helps...

Posted on: 2010/8/10 19:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I park my car in a lot right by the Music Box and as I did tonight, I cringe as I park and walk by this bar to my house. It has gotten somewhat better since it came under new management but tonight the music was loud and there were a number of people hanging out in front just staring at me as I walked home. I live near Barge/Abby's so I know what the whole bar and noise thing is like however the one thing that always stands out to me with this place is that unlike Barge which attracts the crazies on Fridays, this bar seems to have some type of situation (be it a fight, argument, loud music, whatever) every night of the week (or at least every single time I get my car). I think it actually could be worse, it never seems to be a huge crowd there but I don't know. If you have another opportunity for a place even on the next block, you might be better off than on this street itself!

Posted on: 2010/8/7 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

newToHood wrote:
It looks like it won't be the best idea for us (with kids) to move in here. There are chances we will be waking up at 2-3am now and then? One more thing, is it just drunk people talking loud or it gets violent, We thought Hamilton park is the best place to raise family.Have anyone tried talking to owner or police about it?

I bitch about the bar, but I'm raising my kids here without regret, the pros outweigh the cons, IMO. Occasionally my son who has a front room reports on post midnight craziness, but he'll survive without scarring. As for violence, I've never been tempted to go out and confront any of the thugs and their "ladies" making mayhem, so it's not my problem if they kill each other. There's never been shots fired if that's your concern.

As far as the cops, as I'm sure is noted somewhere up this thread, the "word" is the owners were all connected with PD & corrections. I have no idea about new owners, if they are new. I've noticed no obvious changes.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
That's the only corner in the neighborhood that's been an issue and it's really not that bad. Like others have said, this summer seems to have been fine so perhaps the vibe has changed. Best to check it out on a fri/sat night and see. Living near any bar going to give you some noise issues.

As for talking to the cops... Good luck with that.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 20:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/6 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like it won't be the best idea for us (with kids) to move in here. There are chances we will be waking up at 2-3am now and then? One more thing, is it just drunk people talking loud or it gets violent, We thought Hamilton park is the best place to raise family.Have anyone tried talking to owner or police about it?

Posted on: 2010/8/6 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Charini wrote:
Have you ever been there? Do you know ANY of the people that go there?

No, because few, if any, of the patrons are from the neighborhood. Most drive there, park illegally, blare their alarms and gangsta rap, and scream at each other in the street when they leave drunk at 2 or 3.

And don't say I should have known better when I moved here, the place was closed then.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I live a little less than a block away.

As opposed to Barrow or Lucky 7's - which has a constant stream of loud smoking hipsters outside, sometimes joined by this old guy I'll admit, Music box is usually quieter. But when a fight does break out it is loud and sounds scarier than a couple of drunks pissed at each other for knocking over a drink. Kinda like something corked in that explodes. Happens about 4 times a year. Summers are usually worse but this summer has seemed mellower.

People hang out at heir cars late at night and stare you down as you walk by. Very creepy but no one has ever said anything to me. That starts later so the kids should be in bed by then.

Broken glass is my biggest gripe.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 16:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/11 7:36
Group:
Registered Users
Have you ever been there? Do you know ANY of the people that go there?

Posted on: 2010/8/6 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's up with the name? Music Box Cafe. Sounds so quaint and cutesy, which is the antithesis of what the crowd is.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 15:48

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017