Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Landlord rent dispute - come back and place has been lived in
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
Quote:

emergent wrote:
what kind of action should I take?

Keep the shampoo, water the flowers.

My dog's looking at me kinda strange because I'm laughing hysterically. Good one jmcee.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 8:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
There's a bit of confusion about your story. First, you can check your bank statement as solid proof you did make a check for February by your check# and if it was cashed by your landlord or not.... you can even call your bank to see if # 123 check was or wasn't cash than slap that on your landlord's face. To prove to court about the rearrangement of furniture and a shampoo that wasn't yours will be hard unless , you had a nanny cam. other than that, only your bank statement will be the only solid proof to back your claim.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 8:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
First thing I would do is file a police report - at least get it documented somehow that you know an intruder was inside your apartment.

Right now, you have no way to tie this incident to your landlord. Take a step back and realize that it could be someone else. You have actual evidence of someone being in your apartment without your permission - I think that's breaking and entering. You have a right to call the cops, report and document your concerns.

Second, ask your neighbors if they saw an individual in your apartment. Check your phone records, your internet connection, your TV (did they order pay-per-view movies, get on your home computer,) etc. Were there any take-out food containers in your garbage? Any new menus laying around the kitchen? Do a bit of detective work with an open mind to who your intruder could be. Remember to also find out if your building has any security cameras that could track the comings and goings of visitors.

Third, I would change my locks as soon as humanly possible - check your patio door access, too.

This must be incredibly uncomfortable for you. I really do hope you get to the bottom of this.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Might want to get a cheap motion activated nanny cam for when you are not there and the landlord comes in.

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/i.ht ... rksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

So you were 30 days behind in rent for 3 months?

My guess is he did move things and plant some flowers so he could get better rental pictures -- however I am at a loss about the shampoo -- I would just ask if he moved things -- and if he says he did -- then ask what was up with the shampoo!

Love to hear the answer -- very odd indeed...

Posted on: 2011/4/30 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
It seems like you would have a very hard time proving anything in landlord-tenant court but I am no expert, however, if I were you, I would move out A.S.A.P. if possible. If not possible, I would confront the landlord and see what he says and then demand he at least change the locks (maybe someone else has a key?) That is an awful situation and definitely would make me feel uneasy staying there.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Simple, it's haunted.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Almost sounds like your landlord's been living in the place himself. Creepy. Is it possible that he was just rearranging the furnishings in order to take photos to put the place up for rent, thinking you probably weren't coming back?

Posted on: 2011/4/29 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
so based on not receiving february's rent... he assumed you were gone for good without coming back for your things, was able to immediately rent it to someone for the exact amount of time you were gone still without knowing when/if you were coming back, yet he cashed your checks for the following two months? why doesn't this story add up?

I don't know what he assumed. You're right, something certainly doesn't add up. It looks as though he was getting it ready to rent again. I'm only saying it was lived in because of the shampoo in the shower - maybe he was doing work here, and decided to take a shower in my shower or something. I don't know. What I do know is that someone spent at least a few days in my apartment (or at least a significant number of hours). I was never notified he would be in my apartment, and there are literally 100 things that are different from the way I left them. Things that would require 2 people to move have been moved across my patio.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
so based on not receiving february's rent... he assumed you were gone for good without coming back for your things, was able to immediately rent it to someone for the exact amount of time you were gone still without knowing when/if you were coming back, yet he cashed your checks for the following two months? why doesn't this story add up?

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Is that your yacht on the photo? I would just live on that.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emergent wrote:
what kind of action should I take?

Keep the shampoo, water the flowers.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 18:07

Landlord rent dispute - come back and place has been lived in
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
So I was away from my apartment for 2 1/2 months, and I just returned yesterday. While I was gone, I was having a dispute with my landlord about February's rent. I sent him a check for February, he says he never got it, I sent him a second check for February, and he claims he never got that one as well. He did receive my rent check for March and April though.

Once I got back yesterday, I was able to confirm that he has not deposited the first two checks I sent him. Not a problem, I will be more than happy to provide him another check. I have already sent him my rent for May. At worst, I was only 30 days behind with rent, since he received the checks for March and April, and I'm obviously not a deadbeat since I've never missed a month in more than a year and have continued to pay rent. Here is the problem:

My landlord didn't know exactly when I was returning. When I walked in my door, I could tell right away something was up. Things were rearranged, especially my outdoor furniture. The place was very clean, but things had definitely been gone through and moved around. Flowers had actually been planted outside. There was a new bottle of shampoo I don't use in my shower that I noticed this morning.

This HAS to be illegal. At most my rent was 30 days behind. What are the laws concerning this, and what kind of action should I take?

Posted on: 2011/4/29 17:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017