Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Parkside Bistro - Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
This restaurant just canceled their recently offered Living Social deal for those who bought it. A sign for sure of their impending doom.

I too bought the LivingSocial deal for Parkside Bistro and tried to use it only a day or two after getting it. We presented the coupon to our server, and a few minutes later the manager came over to our table. He explained that he had not agreed to the terms with LivingSocial and that the deal should never have been posted in the first place. He would not offer us the same discount ($20 off) but would offer 20% off our entire check as a show of good faith. Of course we also had the option to just leave.

We decided to stay and had a complete meal, starting with the Mediterranean sampler appetizer. Overall it was very good--especially the jasmine rice served with the entrees. We'll likely be going back.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
We also tried to use a restaurant.com certificate at Parkside Bistro and the owner (or manager) gave us all kinds of nonsense about it. So, I haven't been back and will likely not do so in the future. It's a shame, too, because I was a fan (see previous review somewhere in this thread) but the experience was a turn off and my wife wasn't so hot about this place anyway, so it is not likely we will go back.

I think it is pretty crappy that a restaurant would sign up for all these promotions and then renege on them. Unprofessional and definitely reason enough to be hesitant about supporting them.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
This restaurant just canceled their recently offered Living Social deal for those who bought it. A sign for sure of their impending doom.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
Finally tried this place out b/c we had a restaurant.com gift certificate. As others have said, the menu is quite confusing. Talk about an identity crisis! Food was ok (we tried the sampler platter, coconut shrimp platter..can't recall what my husband got). However, they first gave us a bill that took off only $15 or so instead of the $25 amount of the gift certificate. The waitress retrieved the manager who tried to explain to me how it added up. I offered to use the calculator on my phone and show him how the numbers didn't add up. I then had to actually add it up for him. Only then did he believe me. Bizarre experience. It's cute inside, but I don't understand how they stay in business.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
If Mediterranean is the specialty stick to that - I don't understand having this encyclopedia of menu items if you're only going to excel in one particular type of cuisine. No one should expect pizza from an Indian restaurant or French onion soup at a Korean place, there's no shame in not serving a burger (and especially a crappy one at that) at a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean place. Do it well or leave it off the menu, simple as that.

You ought to find out the heritage of the owner and what they specialize in. If you don't care for that type of food skip that joint even if they serve other stuff on the menu. They just don't get it.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 19:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
burger and wings, sorry if that wa unclear.

again, maybe they serve decent food there, just not those two items. but I would have reservations ordering anything there again, it was just such a disgraceful burger and overall portion for that money. absurd, really.

That was the crux of my problem with this place the first and only time I tried it - I ordered a turkey wrap for lunch (about as innocuous and hard to screw up as it gets) and it was terribly under seasoned and just plain bad. If Mediterranean is the specialty stick to that - I don't understand having this encyclopedia of menu items if you're only going to excel in one particular type of cuisine. No one should expect pizza from an Indian restaurant or French onion soup at a Korean place, there's no shame in not serving a burger (and especially a crappy one at that) at a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean place. Do it well or leave it off the menu, simple as that.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 19:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/23 0:58
Group:
Banned
I've been ordering in kebabs and other middle eastern food from this place, and it's been great. They should just stick with what they know. Last week I had family visiting and we went to 'dine in' for the first time for lunch. NEVER AGAIN. The service was non-existent in between the server's personal texting and cell phone calls. My little cousin ordered a burger and it was a dried out HOCKEY PUCK. We sent it back. And, the server forgot my sister's entree completely. I was so embarrassed and angry.

Did I mention we were the ONLY ones in there?? How would they handle it if more than one table of customers actually came in for a meal?? Terrible.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend sticking to the Mediterranean food on the menu. The kebabs in particular are great.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
well then it was the worst squirell burger I've ever had.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 18:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
The other day, I did notice a squirrel that was run over by a vehicle on the side of the road right by this place, so the mystery meat might not be that mysterious after all....

Posted on: 2011/4/11 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
There is definitely something strange about their hamburgers.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
burger and wings, sorry if that wa unclear.

again, maybe they serve decent food there, just not those two items. but I would have reservations ordering anything there again, it was just such a disgraceful burger and overall portion for that money. absurd, really.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
18 bucks for a burger? Is that all you got? Does that include tax and tip? I've eaten here before and it was never that much. Please elaborate on your order.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
can't speak to the rest of the menu, or if sit down quality is any better, but my basic takeout order yesterday was brutal. 18 bucks for "deluxe" burger, tiny burger tiny porion of fries. burger "meat" was questionable at best. tasted like salzbery steak from a tv dinner. wings we poor qualty, just little nasty things.

total ripoff, worst food I've had around here in some time.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 22:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
They really need to move that dumpster out front and get some sidewalk seating - it's a wonderful spot to have a few tables and chairs a la Maro & Pepe's but that gian trash heap outside really puts people off.

I hear sidewalk permits are a pain in the ass to get, but I think one would more than pay for itself for that place.

Also, what's with the garage doors for sale for the garage next to it? Strange...

Posted on: 2011/3/22 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I frequently eat here also. Usually the food is fresh and healthy tasting. My favorites are the eggplant rollatini, chicken parm, the vegetarian cauliflower dish, the mediterranean sampler platter, and the kebabs. The last salad I got there was pretty bad: wilted lettuce and about 1/4 of a past-its-prime avocado. I recommend sticking to the Italian or Mediterranean entrees.

The service isn't the best. They seem to hire people with little experience.

The prices are very reasonable considering the size of the entrees. I often have enough for lunch the next day.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This place is great, I eat here once a week and have tried just about everything. It is all above average and relatively inexpensive. I hope it prospers for years and years.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I tried this place a few months ago, and it FAR exceeded my expectations. I had the chicken kabobs and they were really quite excellent. And it was pretty darn cheap. I will say that the service was a little weird.

I'd recommend sticking with the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern items on the menu, as that is clearly the focus of the place. It's a bit weird that they have stuff like Chicken Parm/Francese/Marsala etc, burgers, and paninis and stuff. But it's kind of cool that it's eclectic.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 14:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
hmmm I've walked past a bunch and never noticed it. I guess everything is still too new to me.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I've thought about going here many times, and at least one of my neighbors loves it. But I'm too grossed out by the sidewalk out front -- either it's slick with oil, or the garbage outside stinks, or, as has been the case for the past week or so, it just smells like rancid cooking oil outside. That's a dealbreaker for me.

They at least cleaned up the oil slick that occurred sometime during/after the rash of snowstorms we had in January.

agreed that the sidewalk in front of the place is absolutely nasty...it's unfortunate that they have no other place to put their dumpster and trash. however, the food there is pretty good. maybe just get it delivered and try not to think about it.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I've thought about going here many times, and at least one of my neighbors loves it. But I'm too grossed out by the sidewalk out front -- either it's slick with oil, or the garbage outside stinks, or, as has been the case for the past week or so, it just smells like rancid cooking oil outside. That's a dealbreaker for me.

They at least cleaned up the oil slick that occurred sometime during/after the rash of snowstorms we had in January.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 20:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
All the Grilled Entr?es are supposed to be good.
The Chicken A La Vodka is amazing
I got a burger the other day and it was very bad. The fries were great though.
The vegetarian food is supposed to be good as well.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there for the first time tonight and definitely will go again. I had the shrimp kebab, husband had the shish kebab and son had the chicken parm. Delicious yogurt sauce and salad with the kebabs. Huge portions -- won't be cooking tomorrown night either.

Son had brownie for dessert. Delicious.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 23:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I only ordered delivery from this place once, and I am not going to again. I thought the food was overpriced for what it was, and my shrimp wrap was all rice and about 2 shrimp. I would take bubby's shrimp burrito in a heartbeat over this sad excuse for a shrimp wrap. The food is mediocre at best. I order delivery from White Star all the time,and it has a better value and similar, if not better, quality.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
This is my wife's and my new favorite place. Fresh food, authentic, well presented, good price point. We're addicted.

When we were there so many people came and went with take out and milkshakes we had no idea it was that popular. Best kept secret no more.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 19:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 18:05
Group:
Registered Users
Went for the first time last night with some friends. The best mediterranean food I have had in a very long time. The kabobs were amazing, portions were large. Everything was fresh. Basmati rice is cooked with a hint of cinnamon and cumin. You could eat it on it's own. We cannot wait to go back. Finally a place serving good mediterranean food. Oh, and the ice cream is also amazing. They must have sold 6-7 milk shakes while we were eating to walk in customers. We took some to go.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Went there last Saturday and had Lamb Chops with mash potato and veg...Tasted Great!!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
It is clear that the Mediterranean menu choices are the strength of their menu. We've gone back a few times and tried other things, but I've gotta say that their grill dishes are consistently very good.

We had an awesome meal last night; we ordered the mixed grill and the chicken kabob. I have to request a special order: no onions. This isn't easy because the chicken kabob dish has a lot of onions on it (the kabob, the side salad, the onion bowl). They went above and beyond to make my order. I was very, very pleased!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We stopped by the other night with some friends. We had a bad service experience right after the opening (one of the co-owner talked to us about this hectic experience actually) but this time it was great.
They have simplified the menu (I guess they were initially probing what people liked) but it is still a good selection. Especially they have kept their kebabs which are very savory and can be considered their signature dish - I had tasted these before and my friends did this time and were impressed.
They are working hard on overcoming some initial impression and from my point of view they are succeeding. I wish them the best !

Posted on: 2010/5/28 0:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I ordered delivery from them for the first time tonight and I will do so again for sure. I had the eggplant rollatini and a salad. The eggplant was hot and and very tasty. The salad was crisp and fresh. The guy who delivered the food was the manager-nice guy. I told him that I appreciate the fact that their prices are very reasonable. This is the kind of place that JC should support. Go Parkside Bistro!

Posted on: 2010/4/27 2:34

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017