Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: Downtown: Williamsburg's Barcade (Bar Arcade) Coming to Newark Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I like pinball as much as the next person, but ultimately it's up to the owners discretion. I think it's better to just accept the fact that Barcade has made it clear that pinball isn't gonna happen :( (although, I'm definitely on your side with this one).

Also, to add to Heights' comment...for real diehard pinball players, if you ever find yourself up in the real sticks of northern NJ, checkout a hole-in-the-wall video rental store called Castle Video in Branchville. They house about 20 pinball machines, but this place is obscurely hidden in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.atthecastle.com/content.aspx?id=7

Posted on: 2011/4/16 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed but why no pinball?!?!?!?!?! I hate video games but i love me some pinball(okay i like some race games but not most)

I didnt want to make a complaint because i am excited about this place but I agree, pin ball is where its at!

Then both of youse should head down to the Asbury Park boardwalk http://silverballmuseum.com/

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed but why no pinball?!?!?!?!?! I hate video games but i love me some pinball(okay i like some race games but not most)

I didnt want to make a complaint because i am excited about this place but I agree, pin ball is where its at!

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/16 3:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Soft opening is next week - Wednesday and Thursday!

Posted on: 2011/4/16 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I've been looking forward to this place for a long time. I'm hoping it brings more businesses to the area (like a specific supermarket chain that specializes in organic food and products that will remain nameless) once retailers realize people in Jersey City want better quality vs. mediocrity. I mean, let's be honest, raise your hand if you're happy this isn't another mediocre asian fusion restaurant! With all joking aside, this should help be the catalyst that drives business up around here. Thanks for investing in the neighborhood Barcade!

Posted on: 2011/4/15 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they wanted the ability to stack and store the chairs for events?

The only time I was at the one in Brooklyn it was dark and filled with people so I didn't notice what the place looked like. The clientele was the decor.

Posted on: 2011/4/15 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
^^^Well for something people were making a big deal of and by having some big threads, I did expect something a little more. Didnt have to be fancy but i figured it would be something closer to dave & busters without the food(before they mentioned food would be included). It looks so simple for something that took so long ( i know not their fault, its the city, i know i know..smh).

Maybe the one in brooklyn looks more like what im thinking of who knows, but like others i welcome them here. We definitely need more places to go IN this city.

The one in BK looks like this does but bigger and has more tables. Same tables and chairs from what I remember, it's been about a year. I'm glad it's not Dave and Busters.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Will they serve scotch, etc?

Now we're talkin

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The BAR STOOLS I like. The tables I like. The chairs at the table are AWFUL! They are literally cafeteria chairs. A random mish mosh of vintage chairs (like the bar stools), would be much better and more fitting.

I'm not trying to sound overly critical, but I really question the judgement of the person who picked those chairs! Maybe they are temporary, but I doubt it.

Will this venue have music, or they going for stripped down, arcade theme, ie, just the beeping sounds of an arcade?

Will they serve scotch, etc?

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
now i'll have someplace to use all my spare quarters

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
this pic actually changes my mind: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_nP- ... zN188U/s800/whole_bar.jpg

Maybe the pics on JCI didn't do the place any justice or they took it at a time they were still decorating but this pic is better. I still think the tables and chairs are tacky and cheap though, oh well
since they had to be jammed in as a "restaurant/bar" I think the tables and chairs were probably an afterthought. Looks really nice though. Can't wait til next week!

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That is a better picture. Tables and chairs have to stay, its a vintage theme. A good example is The Gutter in BK. it works. I wonder what the music will be, i hope its got a good jukebox

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
this pic actually changes my mind: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_nP- ... zN188U/s800/whole_bar.jpg

Maybe the pics on JCI didn't do the place any justice or they took it at a time they were still decorating but this pic is better. I still think the tables and chairs are tacky and cheap though, oh well

Posted on: 2011/4/14 18:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I kind of think the focus is more on the great beers they will be serving. Also, its a bar with vintage video games not modern day "Dave and Busters" type of games so the decor and especially the stools are appropriate. A lot of the growing population in dtjc really appreciates the style so i think it will be a big hit. Yes, there will be tons of beards, flannels and ironic t shirts. So what?

Posted on: 2011/4/14 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i will agree with 2 things ive read thus far on this site.
1. the chairs are really tacky and hopefully get replaced real soon.
2. its a real shame that the main reason business does not thrive in this city is soley because of our garbage building dept. which makes business owners jump through hoops to get anything up and running. the only reason this happened at all is because these owners knew it was going to be harder than it was in brooklyn and accounted for it. i wonder how many owners wanted to open an honest business and failed before it opened because of the building departments getting in the way. i'm totally anti-lawsuit guy but would love to see the city sued many times over by business owners for this reason. maybe then they can get the hint.

people who work for this city probably dont live here.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Here's another link I don't think anyone posted

http://beertography.blogspot.com/2011 ... -city-open-next-week.html

Quote:

The Game List: Tapper, Galaga, Defender, Millipede, Mr. Do, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac Man, Mappy, Burgertime, Tempest, Cosmic Alien, QBert, Asteroids, Tetris, Arkanoid, Spy Hunter, Zaxxon, Frogger, Mouse Trap, Joust, Star Wars, Tutankham, Sinistar (this is give or take a few, due to repairs).

My cup runneth over!

Posted on: 2011/4/14 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
^^^Well for something people were making a big deal of and by having some big threads, I did expect something a little more. Didnt have to be fancy but i figured it would be something closer to dave & busters without the food(before they mentioned food would be included). It looks so simple for something that took so long ( i know not their fault, its the city, i know i know..smh).

Maybe the one in brooklyn looks more like what im thinking of who knows, but like others i welcome them here. We definitely need more places to go IN this city.

but that's not what they were going for. this the way they want it, not because of the city. i believe the idea was to use the space almost as-is and just clean it up a bit. i see it as tastefully utilitarian. it's an oldschool videogame arcade that serves beer and food, nothing like dave and busters, more like the seaside boardwalk in the 80s. the one in brooklyn looks just like this. the facade is not even as nice as this one. im not saying not to welcome them in just that what you visioned isnt what this was ever supposed to be.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 16:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/19 20:33
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
@CatDog, You miss my point. Not competing with *themselves,* competing with other businesses.

People in JC have a choice: go out in Manhattan, or stay local and go out in JC. People in Philadelphia don't have a much bigger city with hundreds/thousands of bars right across the river. There's a lot of talk when something new opens in or around Center City, because it adds to their options.

Anyway, I'm willing to give this place a try, because I happen to like having local options.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 15:50
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/4/14 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
dont know how this thread got sidetracked but whatever. I just saw the pics of inside the barcade and i have to admit i expected something better. The inside looks so bleh. Nothing spectacular at all, i didn't expect some 5 star lounge decor, but i did expect something better than school lunch chairs and tables.

I know what you mean; I thought the same thing. But I'll still welcome them with open arms and am saving my quarters.

hahah what did you expect for an arcade that you can drink in? there's fancier bars in jc for people like you ya know..

Posted on: 2011/4/14 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
dont know how this thread got sidetracked but whatever. I just saw the pics of inside the barcade and i have to admit i expected something better. The inside looks so bleh. Nothing spectacular at all, i didn't expect some 5 star lounge decor, but i did expect something better than school lunch chairs and tables.

I know what you mean; I thought the same thing. But I'll still welcome them with open arms and am saving my quarters.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I'll probably never go as it isn't my sort of thing, but you also won't catch me running down a brand new business before it starts. JC needs more places to go and if they are not all to my taste that is to be expected.

I hope for nothing but success for anyone willing to spend their money on putting a business in my city.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I think the bar area looks great with the mixed vintage stools and the big chalkboard wall. I'm such a sucker for chalkboard paint.

Anyone know what the video game is with the bartender on the side of it? It's in one of the pics.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 13:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
^^^^ well you know what, i will go, hopefully i can meet you there so we can talk about how they should change the decor all night.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 9:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:

Well hopefully you won't show up on opening night because I suspect it will be crowded.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 3:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/4/14 2:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

beemuzzler wrote:
Only on these boards could someone accuse someone of being racist and imply homophobia to belittle them. Nice work everyone.

I don't get why everyone is getting so down about this place. Ok, so it's not what you personally want, but it's great that something halfway decent is opening at all. There's a 100 other empty stores for your next favorite thing to open up in.

Congrats to Barcade, I'll be bringing my beard and an ironic t-shirt in for a game or 5 of Galaga for sure.

Ditto. Galaga would be awesome, as would Final Fight.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 2:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/12 21:25
From Parts Unknown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You like Rugby and you're racist so I don't think anyone is taking you too seriously. We all know what rugby is really about. Maybe you can beat or drink those thoughts out of your head. You know, the scrum is just part of the game...it's not odd to enjoy all that rubbing and grinding against the fellas. Is it?

This coming from somebody whose idea of sport is playing with your Wii.

Also, The Italian Council on Defamation and Stereotypes (ICDS) determined at their 2009 conference that it was appropriate for ancestral Italians and Sicilians to make light of antiquated Italian stereotypes, such as Chef Boyardee accents and mafioso "Break-ah Your Face" novelty parking signs, so I'm in the clear.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 1:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/23 16:33
Group:
Registered Users
Only on these boards could someone accuse someone of being racist and imply homophobia to belittle them. Nice work everyone.

I don't get why everyone is getting so down about this place. Ok, so it's not what you personally want, but it's great that something halfway decent is opening at all. There's a 100 other empty stores for your next favorite thing to open up in.

Congrats to Barcade, I'll be bringing my beard and an ironic t-shirt in for a game or 5 of Galaga for sure.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 1:41

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017