Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Hamilton Park dogs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a dog owner, and I think it's fine to single out dog owners who let their dogs on the Pet-Free lawns. There are other areas of the park where the dogs can go---the dog runs and the areas that aren't pet-free. So why do some people insist on letting their dogs on the couple of areas where humans should be assured that there's no pee?

Posted on: 2011/9/6 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tali wrote:
Just because you have a dog, doesn't mean all all dog owners are irresponsible. Since moving here, I've been pleasantly surprised at how many dog owners really care about the neighborhood, picking up their dog poop and love DT JC because of the park. Since I've moved here, I was shocked to see 2 separate incidences of kids urinating on the grass and were encouraged to do this by the parents, who must have been too lazy to find a loo. How is that okay? Does anyone complain about kids urinating on the grass where we picnic? Seems to me the dog folks are the "eyes and ears" of the neighborhood and make it a safer place. When I'm walking home from work after dark, I do feel more comforted seeing so many people out with their dogs. Don't think it makes sense to single them out and make the park so unavailable to them.
you may not be aware of the fact that there are no public restrooms in the park or in its vicinity. just sayin' :

of course, i assume that these were small kids ... you know less than 18 (years) old? ... otherwise officer daley might be "pissed"

Posted on: 2011/9/6 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tali wrote:
Just because you have a dog, doesn't mean all all dog owners are irresponsible. Since moving here, I've been pleasantly surprised at how many dog owners really care about the neighborhood, picking up their dog poop and love DT JC because of the park. Since I've moved here, I was shocked to see 2 separate incidences of kids urinating on the grass and were encouraged to do this by the parents, who must have been too lazy to find a loo. How is that okay? Does anyone complain about kids urinating on the grass where we picnic? Seems to me the dog folks are the "eyes and ears" of the neighborhood and make it a safer place. When I'm walking home from work after dark, I do feel more comforted seeing so many people out with their dogs. Don't think it makes sense to single them out and make the park so unavailable to them.
you may not be aware of the fact that there are no public restrooms in the park or in its vicinity. just sayin' :

Posted on: 2011/9/6 3:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 2:45
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/9/5 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah. They are d-bag dog owners that think society should bend to the animals they decide to buy instead of the other way around.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
The park's been open, post-renovation, for a good long time now, and the "pet free" signage is clear. So... what's with people walking their dogs in the no-dog areas?

I'm a dog owner. And I like that there are parts of the park where I can throw a blanket down and hang out, solo or with friends, with at least less expectation of dog poop in the grass.

The dog person I've seen most often with his dogs in the pet-free areas has been around for at least three or four years.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/9/1 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster,

I find it difficult to belive that your cats stay only in your yard, they are unadventurous cats if they don't explore every other backyard on your block.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Hmmmm? Yet according to you it's okay for YOUR outdoor cats to poop and pee God knows where?

My cats crap up my own yard, not our "commons".

Posted on: 2011/3/18 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
All violations of park rules and regulations should be addressed. But just because one group of people violate some rules doesn't justify nor give license to another group violating another set of rules. It's an absurd proposition. Quote:

downright wrote:
To everyone who has something to say about the occasional off leash dog...go take a look at the basketball court right now. It is a sight to be seen.

not justifying at all. i agree that all dogs should be leashed and not step foot/paw in the pet-free zone. i just dont understand why people get so upset over an occasional off leash dog while not caring about how filthy parts of the park get. that basketball court is disgusting, day in and day out, not just occasionally. i think that is a much bigger problem that needs to be addressed and it never is.

I think the disparity in annoyance comes from the fact that a filthy basketball court mostly affects the b-ball players (and of course, anyone who doesn't want to look at a trash-filled court). whereas dog poop in a supposedly poop-free lawn affects everybody who walks there.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
As for the basketball court, there's a volunteer park cleanup group that cleans up the park every day except during the winter. I assume we're going to start up again soon. Why don't you sign up? But you can really clean up dog pee, can you?

i actually am a member of the volunteer clean up crew. and do you know what takes the most time to clean up? the basketball court. i hate the eyesore that is the basketball court. i hate when i am woken up in the middle of the night by a bouncing basketball and loud mouths yelling and screaming. i hate the basketball league just as much for the scoreboard that they put up with the loudest damn buzzer. i hate that i can hear a whistle being blown by the refs non stop for hours.

dogs off-leash? i agree it is an issue that needs to be addressed. dogs in the pet-free area....yes, another issue that needs to be addressed.......but also, the basketball court is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't worked with the organized clean up team, but I have spent time cleaning up the basketball court and other areas of the park when I can. I didn't see the condition of the court at the time of the posting; but in my opinion when I've gone past the courts and cleaned around them, while they were messy they were no where near as bad as people said they were.

My guess is that one of the reasons why people don't complain about mess at the basketball court is because it's not an area people who don't play basketball want to use so they don't give it much attention. Whereas the No Pet Zone is an area people look to occupy and pay more attention to.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The volunteer cleanup crew hasn't started yet, I think it will be starting within a few weeks. In the meantime the HPNA has organised a big cleanup day today (Friday 18th March 2011) with several local schools.

So the park should be nice and clean by late afternoon.

Anyone who would like to volunteer for the cleanup crew, please email robin_hpna@forders.org and I will put you in contact with the organiser.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As for the basketball court, there's a volunteer park cleanup group that cleans up the park every day except during the winter. I assume we're going to start up again soon. Why don't you sign up? But you can really clean up dog pee, can you?

Posted on: 2011/3/18 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Look at those dogs tearing up the new lawns.

Resized Image

What they're doing isn't right either, but at least they're not pissing and crapping on the grass, and the bald spot is small compared to the historic conditions of the western lawns. They should be using the "multi-sports" court.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=265160#forumpost265160

Hmmmm? Yet according to you it's okay for YOUR outdoor cats to poop and pee God knows where?

Posted on: 2011/3/18 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
All violations of park rules and regulations should be addressed. But just because one group of people violate some rules doesn't justify nor give license to another group violating another set of rules. It's an absurd proposition. Quote:

downright wrote:
To everyone who has something to say about the occasional off leash dog...go take a look at the basketball court right now. It is a sight to be seen.

not justifying at all. i agree that all dogs should be leashed and not step foot/paw in the pet-free zone. i just dont understand why people get so upset over an occasional off leash dog while not caring about how filthy parts of the park get. that basketball court is disgusting, day in and day out, not just occasionally. i think that is a much bigger problem that needs to be addressed and it never is.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

downright wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/18 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/18 2:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Don't threaten to call the cops and risk an arguement with this guy just call. Understand it's a low priority call but it will be answered. JCPD has to answer every call for service it receives. Some towns will refer you to animal control or the parks department. People call because they have a leaky faucet. A wild animal strong arming a one year old will definetly get an efficient response.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Some people are just entitled jerks, whether they are dog owners, or parents or whatever. I still get steamed when I think about the jerk who was letting his dog run around unleashed and told his barking dog to get my 1 yo's ball from her. I totally regret not threatening to call the police on him.

I've actually have seen dog poop at the Van Vorst playground area. I mean, you'd have to unlock the gate to let your dog in! Disgusting.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Resized Image

What they're doing isn't right either, but at least they're not pissing and crapping on the grass, and the bald spot is small compared to the historic conditions of the western lawns. They should be using the "multi-sports" court.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Often times, the off leash crowd who bring their dogs to the park in the early morning scream at the top of their lungs for their not entirely trained dogs to return to them. This sometimes occurs before 6:00 am on weekdays when neighbors are still trying to sleep. So they're impacting and disturbing people who aren't even actually in the park. But I suppose they believe they're keeping the park safe or maybe that everyone else should be on board with their schedule. Whatever their distorted or misplaced reason, it's inexcusable.

Quote:

coolbreeze wrote:

This is SO not what it is about. It is about selfishness. You have no more right to the park than I do, and I cannot tell you how many times I have walked my dog to the park with the intention of letting my dog roam (leashed) in the designated areas and have had to stop dead in my tracks and book it back to the sidewalk because there are unleashed dogs playing/running/roaming. Sometimes the park is deserted aside from these unleashed dogs. I am very careful to scan the park for this before entering. My dog does not always interact well with other dogs when she is leashed, and I can only let her in the dog run under certain conditions. People flouting the leash rules don't even consider the fact that they are preventing responsible dog owners from enjoying the park as well OR that my dog could very likely HURT your dog if I do enter the park and your leashed dog approaches mine. I do not understand how these dog owners don't realize that not only are they acting rude, selfish, and entitled, but they are also putting their own dogs at risk. If I was not so conscientious, your dog could be injured, and guess who would be at fault?

The next time you are playing with your dog unleashed, in an empty park, thinking you are not affecting anyone else, think again. You probably didn't see me walking by on the perimeter, having to change my route and plans upon seeing you in there.

Additionally, these unleashed dog are often not as obedient as their owners think they are. Numerous times, when approaching an unleashed dog, I will cross the street or leave the park, only to have the dog dart after mine, toward or into the street, while the owner is frantically yelling at their pet to come back.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 18:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/13 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante wrote:
Naw. It is all about control. Some people think they can exert some kind of control over everything in their lives. The park is empty and some guy tossing a frisbee to his dog burns people's asses because they want control, control!! Everything in its place!! Sorry, the park belongs to everybody and if no one is around the dogs will run. If it bothers you simply because you have some kind of wacky notion that things will always be the way you want it then you are already losing.

This is SO not what it is about. It is about selfishness. You have no more right to the park than I do, and I cannot tell you how many times I have walked my dog to the park with the intention of letting my dog roam (leashed) in the designated areas and have had to stop dead in my tracks and book it back to the sidewalk because there are unleashed dogs playing/running/roaming. Sometimes the park is deserted aside from these unleashed dogs. I am very careful to scan the park for this before entering. My dog does not always interact well with other dogs when she is leashed, and I can only let her in the dog run under certain conditions. People flouting the leash rules don't even consider the fact that they are preventing responsible dog owners from enjoying the park as well OR that my dog could very likely HURT your dog if I do enter the park and your leashed dog approaches mine. I do not understand how these dog owners don't realize that not only are they acting rude, selfish, and entitled, but they are also putting their own dogs at risk. If I was not so conscientious, your dog could be injured, and guess who would be at fault?

The next time you are playing with your dog unleashed, in an empty park, thinking you are not affecting anyone else, think again. You probably didn't see me walking by on the perimeter, having to change my route and plans upon seeing you in there.

Additionally, these unleashed dog are often not as obedient as their owners think they are. Numerous times, when approaching an unleashed dog, I will cross the street or leave the park, only to have the dog dart after mine, toward or into the street, while the owner is frantically yelling at their pet to come back.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Naw. It is all about control. Some people think they can exert some kind of control over everything in their lives. The park is empty and some guy tossing a frisbee to his dog burns people's asses because they want control, control!! Everything in its place!! Sorry, the park belongs to everybody and if no one is around the dogs will run. If it bothers you simply because you have some kind of wacky notion that things will always be the way you want it then you are already losing.

You conveniently frame opponents as irrational by refusing to acknowledge that there's lasting negative effects on the lawn long after the dog is gone. The pre renovation HP West lawns were always dustbowls in the middle with brown spots where there was grass and you'd have to be nuts to even walk there never mind sit. If you must ignore the laws and common courtesy, please do that destruction to the 8th street side and leave the dog free side alone.

+1

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/3/14 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

You conveniently frame opponents as irrational by refusing to acknowledge that there's lasting negative effects on the lawn long after the dog is gone. The pre renovation HP West lawns were always dustbowls in the middle with brown spots where there was grass and you'd have to be nuts to even walk there never mind sit. If you must ignore the laws and common courtesy, please do that destruction to the 8th street side and leave the dog free side alone.

+1

Posted on: 2011/3/14 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/14 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There's actually no point in bothering to explain it; because the offenders don't care about your explanations. They have a distorted sense of entitlement and import.

The only real approach is to speak to the offenders and report them. There have been plenty of instances when the police have issued warnings and tickets. But you have to be persistent about it. Take pictures, which has become much easier with the latest cell phones and mobile devices and write to as many people in City hall as possible.

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Of course "the park belongs to everybody." But there is plenty of OTHER space for those dogs to run free, if you insist on that. (I won't get into the unfairness of letting your dog off the leash in a highly populated public space.) Why do you have to choose the area that's set aside for people only? Use the 8th Street side of the park. You don't see families spreading out picnic blankets on the tennis courts, do you? No, because there's a lawn for that, and other people want to use the courts to play tennis. The park is a beautiful public space that we can share. It's not about control. It's about making a few rules so everyone can enjoy the park in their own way.

that this needs to be explained to anyone over the age of seven is thoroughly disheartening.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Of course "the park belongs to everybody." But there is plenty of OTHER space for those dogs to run free, if you insist on that. (I won't get into the unfairness of letting your dog off the leash in a highly populated public space.) Why do you have to choose the area that's set aside for people only? Use the 8th Street side of the park. You don't see families spreading out picnic blankets on the tennis courts, do you? No, because there's a lawn for that, and other people want to use the courts to play tennis. The park is a beautiful public space that we can share. It's not about control. It's about making a few rules so everyone can enjoy the park in their own way.

that this needs to be explained to anyone over the age of seven is thoroughly disheartening.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With enough community enforcement the offenders will be forced to stop.

I'm going to become much more vigilant about reporting offenders.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
And let's not forget that regardless of the animal being in a pet-free zone the animal is usually without a leash. That was against the law before the park was renovated and guess what. It is still against the law.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:34

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017