Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Hamilton Park dogs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
There were plenty of people in the park. It was late morning. regardless of the time, the sign says it's a pet free area. It doesn't say it's pet free during particular hours. It's pet free all the time. It's not about control but more about preventing things from getting out of control.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Naw. It is all about control. Some people think they can exert some kind of control over everything in their lives. The park is empty and some guy tossing a frisbee to his dog burns people's asses because they want control, control!! Everything in its place!! Sorry, the park belongs to everybody and if no one is around the dogs will run. If it bothers you simply because you have some kind of wacky notion that things will always be the way you want it then you are already losing.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Some people are mocking this thread, and I think the cynicism on this board gets old really fast. Yes, we live in a city with a lot of problems. But a community is not a community unless the citizens work to make it as pleasant as possible for everyone. There are people blatantly disregarding a rule that's meant to let everyone share the park. It's like people who litter. No, maybe the police aren't going to be able to write a ticket for everyone who litters, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Don't throw your trash on the ground, pick up your dog poop, and don't let your dog go where dogs are not allowed. It's just a matter of being a decent, considerate human being and remembering that there are other people in the world besides yourself.

Amy, I think there are people both in the park and on this board who actually consider this behavior to be legitimate civil disobedience against repression by an overreaching government. Really.

I remember the first time HPNA had a major community meeting about building a dog run 12 years ago in the library at Cordero, and there were people incensed and red faced at the idea that anyone could restrict their right to have their dogs run free anywhere in the park. They could not get around the idea that their freedom deprived others of their own rights to enjoy the park. And they still can't. It's unfortunate when people judge the morality of an illegal act that negatively impacts their neighbors, like littering or letting their dogs go anywhere, only by the odds of whether they will get a ticket for it.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Amy,

You're absolutely right. But you have to take the vast majority of the posters on this site with a grain of salt.

Their absurd comments to minimize our right to enjoy the park should be summarily dismissed. Anything we can reasonably do to remind our neighbors they have to be more consideration should be done without thinking twice about it.

A lot of people invested a lot of time working towards getting the park renovated and it came out spectacular. It's a slap in the face to all our neighbors when some tangential group with a distorted sense of entitlement believe they should be falling under the radar to get away with their truancy, nuisances and disrespect for their neighbors.

I have a picture of a neighbor flouting the rule. I have no problem reporting him and politely letting him know I'm doing that. Everyone should feel just as comfortable doing the same.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Some people are mocking this thread, and I think the cynicism on this board gets old really fast. Yes, we live in a city with a lot of problems. But a community is not a community unless the citizens work to make it as pleasant as possible for everyone. There are people blatantly disregarding a rule that's meant to let everyone share the park. It's like people who litter. No, maybe the police aren't going to be able to write a ticket for everyone who litters, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Don't throw your trash on the ground, pick up your dog poop, and don't let your dog go where dogs are not allowed. It's just a matter of being a decent, considerate human being and remembering that there are other people in the world besides yourself.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
A frisbee huh? Sounds like a high priority crime.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Carpetbagger,

Thanks for the poetic insights. Fortunately I'm not too worried about this guy taking a violent tactic. I'm rather confident in my ability to take care of myself in that area. But again, I do genuinely appreciate both your insights and concern.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 20:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously this guy is an outlaw who does not live within the realm of human decency. If he so blatantly flaunts a leash law in full view of the public who knows what he is capable of? You may approach him to engage in the most civil discourse unaware of his potentially barbarian reaction to a percieved threat. For instance, you approach him and say " excuse me my good man but I noticed you were in violation of the HP rules regarding pet free zones. I must report you to the authorities as it is my civic duty and I do have photographic evidence of your transgressions." But before you get to the part about neighborhood pride and the importance of following the rules, BAM BAM a left hook followed by an straight right hand and you're flat on your back instinctively trying to regain the signals your brain seems to have stopped sending to your legs.
Good luck and don't be bobbin' when you should be weavin'.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This morning at around 10:45 or so, I saw a neighbor throwing a frisbee for his dog in the Pets Free area of HP. I did take a picture of him and I know where he lives so I will report it. But more importantly I thought what a douche bag. What the hell gives people the idea they could just decide which rules they could violate? I'm definitely going to have a conversation with this guy face to face man to man just to see what he's thinking. I'm not going to have an argument with him, but I am curious why he thinks it's ok to do this and I will probably ask that he consider not doing it anymore.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
It's threads like this, to improve "quality of life" baffle me. Why are people, particularly parents, picking stupid fights mid-winter with dog owners, when no-one else even cares to use the park?

If you had have asked me 10 years ago, I was a big supporter for an equal and free education for all. Parents use and abuse their influence in politics and within the community, based simply on the fact they have procreated and feel entitled to handouts.

I support legislation that stops wasting tax dollars on those "I got shagged" handouts. Christie - swing that axe - you have my vote. Sack those teachers, and make those parent's pay for their own brats :)

We can also have a conversation about whether there's bigger savings on Education or dog crap/leash enforcement.

Excuse me, I don't own a dog and I CARE to use the park, ALL year long. I go jogging and would like to be able to jog through it, take a nice walk through it and not have to worry about stepping in dog crap in a place where there aren't supposed to be any dogs. With two dog runs and plenty of shared space around the park, the dog owners have plenty of places to go, but they still can't be bothered to follow the rules.

With all our property tax increases, already high taxes and the city facing a deficit, I am all for the cops aggressively ticketing to give the city a temporary windfall which will force people into compliance. Once all the rule breakers with no consideration for anyone but themselves get hit in their pocketbooks, this will be less of a problem.

Yes, you baffle me.But it's not me you need to convince. I think JCPD get it. They enforce stuff worth enforcing - like off leash dogs in HP during warmer months.

You jog through the park when there's snow on the ground? I doubt it. I also doubt you tread on dog poop during your supposed jogging.

And a windfall for ticketing dog owners? This is Jersey City not Willy Wonkas chocolate factory. Fining dog owners isn't going to balance the City's budget more than a few hundred bucks a year.

Look, I get your sentiment. I think it's wrong for people to use HP open areas over the dog runs. We agree on that. However, I think in winter, JCPD have better things to do than hang around HP ticketing dog owners, when almost no-one else is in the park.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 8:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
It's threads like this, to improve "quality of life" baffle me. Why are people, particularly parents, picking stupid fights mid-winter with dog owners, when no-one else even cares to use the park?

If you had have asked me 10 years ago, I was a big supporter for an equal and free education for all. Parents use and abuse their influence in politics and within the community, based simply on the fact they have procreated and feel entitled to handouts.

I support legislation that stops wasting tax dollars on those "I got shagged" handouts. Christie - swing that axe - you have my vote. Sack those teachers, and make those parent's pay for their own brats :)

We can also have a conversation about whether there's bigger savings on Education or dog crap/leash enforcement.

Excuse me, I don't own a dog and I CARE to use the park, ALL year long. I go jogging and would like to be able to jog through it, take a nice walk through it and not have to worry about stepping in dog crap in a place where there aren't supposed to be any dogs. With two dog runs and plenty of shared space around the park, the dog owners have plenty of places to go, but they still can't be bothered to follow the rules.

With all our property tax increases, already high taxes and the city facing a deficit, I am all for the cops aggressively ticketing to give the city a temporary windfall which will force people into compliance. Once all the rule breakers with no consideration for anyone but themselves get hit in their pocketbooks, this will be less of a problem.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 0:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is great. A furious debate over dog shit. God bless America.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 0:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:24
Group:
Registered Users
Notice the bent, "Pet-Free" Zone signs? These are the people we're dealing with: lowlife trash that assert themselves by destroying public property.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
There are always going to be people who are going to bring their dogs into the pet-free zone, especially during off-peak hours. That's just the way it is. I have two dogs and I never go into the pet-free zone. There is a more than enough grassy area to keep my dogs satisfied.

But to be honest, I don't really care if people let their dogs into the pet-free zone. Maybe when the basketball court is bulldozed. I'm willing to donate lots of money to any politician who can get that done.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
There are certain dogs that can never go into a dog run no matter how large they are built.

and that is the neighborhood's problem because....why?

Posted on: 2011/3/11 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I believe the topic of dog owners ignoring the pet free zones was raised during the final design phase of the park when the size of the dog runs were raised as an issue. Mostly the concern was that not making the dog runs large enough -- particularly because the dog run spaces were divided awkwardly making the run for large breeds equal in size to the small breed run -- would not result in an abatement of off leash dogs in the other areas of the park as intended.

It seems based on the above quarrels here, those concerns are being fully realized as dog owners continue to ignore the undersized dog runs.

The dog runs have nothing to do with it. There are certain dogs that can never go into a dog run no matter how large they are built.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
the next time I'm in the park and have to take a leak I'll just piss in the park. Better yet, I'll go piss in the dog run. I'm sure the dog owners in the dog run will be completely understanding with that. I mean piss is piss right?

Yes, do that. The dog run is constructed to be pissed on, the lawns & plantings are not. The lack of a human bathroom in such a heavily used park is a different sore topic.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the topic of dog owners ignoring the pet free zones was raised during the final design phase of the park when the size of the dog runs were raised as an issue. Mostly the concern was that not making the dog runs large enough -- particularly because the dog run spaces were divided awkwardly making the run for large breeds equal in size to the small breed run -- would not result in an abatement of off leash dogs in the other areas of the park as intended.

It seems based on the above quarrels here, those concerns are being fully realized as dog owners continue to ignore the undersized dog runs.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante - your vendetta against the HPNA shows no sign of abating.

Do you even know who is on the HPNA board now? The people you had your fueds with are mostly long gone.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 16:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
There are cats, skunks, possums, squirrels, all sorts of birds including sparrows, pigeons, seagulls that leave their crap and piss in the park. Any reason why dog piss and crap is uniquely dangerous?

Not uniquely dangerous. Just much more disgusting. With your logic the next time I'm in the park and have to take a leak I'll just piss in the park. Better yet, I'll go piss in the dog run. I'm sure the dog owners in the dog run will be completely understanding with that. I mean piss is piss right?

I did see a man get out of his car and pee in the park the other day. I guess because he thought it was raining no one would notice.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In my experiences since park re-opened. One resident blatantly lied to JCPD after my dog peed near pathway through "pet-free zone". He told the cop that my dog had pooped and that I hadn't clean it up. Several other residents, including HPNA members, lied to me and others and said dogs were not allowed anywhere on grass in the park. One local Realtor followed me around and also lied trying to tell me I was in a "pet-free zone" when I was not. Too many "concerned citizens" have bankrupted their authenticity. The cops don't care anymore because of those citizens blatant misrepresentation of the facts. Sorry, it's OUR park too.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

If you want grass in summer, you can't have dogs tearing it up in winter. It was the year round wear and tear of being a de facto dog run that made the HP west section a dustbowl before the reno. Not to mention the fact that it's unrealistic to think people will change their habits of letting their dogs run just because the weather changes and other people DO want to use the park.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
There are cats, skunks, possums, squirrels, all sorts of birds including sparrows, pigeons, seagulls that leave their crap and piss in the park. Any reason why dog piss and crap is uniquely dangerous?

Not uniquely dangerous. Just much more disgusting. With your logic the next time I'm in the park and have to take a leak I'll just piss in the park. Better yet, I'll go piss in the dog run. I'm sure the dog owners in the dog run will be completely understanding with that. I mean piss is piss right?

Posted on: 2011/3/11 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
possum poop smells like lavender.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have never trod in a squirrel turd on the pavement and had to laboriously clean it off my shoe.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Last Saturday afternoon I walked pass the "pet-free" zones on my way to White Star bar. I have lived in Hamilton Park since 1998 and I have to say that I never saw so many adults and children playing in the "pet-free" zones as I did this past Saturday. It was beautiful to behold. So many children were running around on the grass either kicking a soccer ball, playing catch with their parents, playing tag, etc. It was great to see the park being used for who it was intended (i.e., human beings) and not 100% as a dog run. I'd hate to think that these kids are playing in an area full of left behind dog piss and crap.

There are cats, skunks, possums, squirrels, all sorts of birds including sparrows, pigeons, seagulls that leave their crap and piss in the park. Any reason why dog piss and crap is uniquely dangerous? And any reason to suppose that dog crap and piss is any more dangerous than, say, what you'd find on a public door handle?

Look - I agree with the dog-free zones. Just tone down the rhetoric. Live and let live a little and be good neighbors. And no, I don't let my dog off leash in HP.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 6:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/11 6:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Webmaster, can we rid the message boards of trolls?
Quote:

carpetbaggertil718 wrote:
Many years ago, before Jersey City was the utopia it is today, one of the more common sights were the empty cocaine vials that littered the sidewalks. One day, with some amusement, I watched an odd looking fellow and his hippie girlfriend collecting the empty vials. Just to satisfy my curiosity I approached them and asked what they were going to do with all the vials. They invited me into their home and showed me some of the artwork they created with the vials and other pieces of urban flotsam and jetsam. Fabulous pieces, a revolver made entirely of crack vials, a working clock with recovered shell casings they found during their scavenger hunts as the numerals. Unbelievable creativity right in the heart of the hood.

I challenge any of you artistic types to use this new "pet peeve" in such a novel way. Take this organic raw material and with your bare hands mold a sculpture that depicts the struggle between the comforts of man and the needs of the beast. Knead it carefully and pay careful attention contrast and texture as your vision becomes a true work of art. Good luck and no need to pay homage for the idea. Now go create

Posted on: 2011/3/11 3:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Many years ago, before Jersey City was the utopia it is today, one of the more common sights were the empty cocaine vials that littered the sidewalks. One day, with some amusement, I watched an odd looking fellow and his hippie girlfriend collecting the empty vials. Just to satisfy my curiosity I approached them and asked what they were going to do with all the vials. They invited me into their home and showed me some of the artwork they created with the vials and other pieces of urban flotsam and jetsam. Fabulous pieces, a revolver made entirely of crack vials, a working clock with recovered shell casings they found during their scavenger hunts as the numerals. Unbelievable creativity right in the heart of the hood.

I challenge any of you artistic types to use this new "pet peeve" in such a novel way. Take this organic raw material and with your bare hands mold a sculpture that depicts the struggle between the comforts of man and the needs of the beast. Knead it carefully and pay careful attention contrast and texture as your vision becomes a true work of art. Good luck and no need to pay homage for the idea. Now go create

Posted on: 2011/3/11 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Guess no one realized carpetbaggertil718 is playing with you.

he/she must feel like a winner.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 21:31

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017