Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Facing another 12% tax increase.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Does anyone have an idea how to estimate what the new taxes will be on a brownstone in downtown? I\'m looking for more space but scared sh!tless that if buy now that the taxes will double in the next 2 years. Most of the townhouses I\'ve seen have annual tax bills in the 12k range, some higher around 16k. I think those numbers are CRAZY especially since the public schools kinda suck around here. Seems that a lot of houses are on the market right now. Do you think the owners are trying to sell now before the tax bills come in and bankrupt them?

If you are looking for more space, my tip, buy a townhouse or 2 family that doesn't list square footage. Properties that don't list sq footage may get away with a huge undervaluation, even with a reval. And I think that is a real loophole that should be closed, but isn't and a lot of us pay higher bills as a result. And the reval won\'t because they can't afford to survey every property that doesn\'t have sq footage listed.

I'll give you an example. I think 380 Fifth St will get hosed on the reval, but 384 Fifth St may get away unscathed, simply because 380 has it's sq footage listed on the County property card, and 384 doesn't. (On a sq footage basis they're both hugely undertaxed currently). Look at zillow.com for current tax.

Look at easytaxfix.com if that property has square footage listed. For 380 they'll use a similar model as eastaxfix. Where the sq footage isn't on the property card (at hudsoncountytax.com), the assessors need to use another estimation method, which will likely be more "lenient" and result in lower taxes for 384.

(Apologies to anyone who lives in those properties at the moment - just illustrating a point.)

Posted on: 2011/4/5 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'm worried about the small condo conversions where abatements don't apply. Years ago condos were a fraction of the cost of a single and 2 family house now condos are worth more in market value then either. At least with a brownstone you will have rent to lean on from the other apartments in the building, and probably not subject to the 4% rent control increases.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The reval process is not likely to be kind to rowhouse owners, especially downtown. That's where the money is and that's where they'll try to raise taxes the most. Many of the condos don't factor in due to abatements, so they'll soak the rowhouses. Rowhouse owners are the least politically powerful group in the city. Too few and not organized.

I heard Fulop review why he thought it might not be so bad for downtown, but I don't believe it. I have zero faith that the city will have an objective and fair reval. Healy doesn't get the downtown vote, so what does he care if the rowhouse that was taxed 12K goes up to 15K or more...

Posted on: 2011/4/5 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have an idea how to estimate what the new taxes will be on a brownstone in downtown? I'm looking for more space but scared sh!tless that if buy now that the taxes will double in the next 2 years. Most of the townhouses I've seen have annual tax bills in the 12k range, some higher around 16k. I think those numbers are CRAZY especially since the public schools kinda suck around here. Seems that a lot of houses are on the market right now. Do you think the owners are trying to sell now before the tax bills come in and bankrupt them?

Posted on: 2011/4/4 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I think you are actually dividing the assessed value by the tax ratio. But, yes, you should end up with the supposed market value around $300,000.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I am hoping to get my appeal in before tomorrow's deadline, and am trying to figure out what the real dollar amount is based on the tax assessment total.

If the city has assessed my property at approximately 90,000 what does that translate into when I am determining comparable values, etc.? Is it in the $300,000 range? If I am understanding this correctly, I multiply the 90,000 by the tax percentage, which approximately triples that assessment total.

Thank you in advance for your help!

[Sorry for posting this twice---I just realized I posted in the construction abatement thread and meant to use this one]

Posted on: 2011/3/31 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dojan wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Make sure you enter the 3 letters as-is, with no spaces. Also double-check your address spelling as held on hudsoncountytax.com. I have to enter NINTH ST and not 9TH.

You could ask a friend to try your address on their computer. Or PM your address to me and I can send you the initial result/screenshot.

Hope this helps :)

Quote:

dojan wrote:
I don't know what happened but this website www.easytaxfix.com did not work for me in IE or firefox. Every time I entered the image text it asked me to re-enter. I tried lower-case, upper-case, as well as adding spaces in between. Did anybody else have the same problem? Thanks a bunch.

It does help. Thank you! Another question I have is how do you guys send the form to the city? The post office on Washington St lost two of my Amazon returns and I don't trust it any more!! Should I send it from a Manhattan post office?

Walk your rebate claim to both - the JC ASssessor at GRove St city hall and Cornelson St for the County.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dojan wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Make sure you enter the 3 letters as-is, with no spaces. Also double-check your address spelling as held on hudsoncountytax.com. I have to enter NINTH ST and not 9TH.

You could ask a friend to try your address on their computer. Or PM your address to me and I can send you the initial result/screenshot.

Quote:

dojan wrote:
I don't know what happened but this website www.easytaxfix.com did not work for me in IE or firefox. Every time I entered the image text it asked me to re-enter. I tried lower-case, upper-case, as well as adding spaces in between. Did anybody else have the same problem? Thanks a bunch.

It does help. Thank you! Another question I have is how do you guys send the form to the city? The post office on Washington St lost two of my Amazon returns and I don't trust it any more!! Should I send it from a Manhattan post office?

What makes the Manhattan post office workers any different than the ones here in Jersey. You don't have to go to just another post office here in Jersey City what about Bayonne ? Why incur the cost of a PATH ride back and forth adding $3.50 to your quest. With acceptance like this the economy surely will drop and prices will rise.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
I am protesting in my own way: I have lived in JC for 6+ years but am adamantly opposed to purchasing property here. If enough of us continue to abstain from buying unreasonably taxed property here, the property values (and property tax revenue) will continue to drop 'til the city gov't will realize that 'less' will ultimately mean 'more'.

What you meant to say is...ultimately mean war. Thank you for the protest it will help those as home owners already get a more forgiving tax assessment and or tax rate.

Posted on: 2011/3/12 10:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At my appeal healing last year, the JC appraiser said to me....""its good to see someone that has everything right". That's why i recommend it. You don''t actually need to pay the $80 or so, you could DIY, The site just makes it so much easier...

Posted on: 2011/3/12 9:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Quote:

dojan wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/11 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

WS20 wrote:
I live on Warren Street in 600 square feet and pay $7900 (no parking, no yard, no AC, no nothing). That's makes sense, right? : ) Any advice aside from the obvious.

Generally, you have got to pay, that's the cost of living in JC. I posted tis earlier, but to repeat, you might be entitled to a huge property tax reduction if the City hasn't valued your property correctly:
You can appeal. I'd recommend

www.easytaxfix.com

I used it last year, and saved over $7k/year on my tax bill. The other useful sites are

http://www.hudsoncountytax.com/
and
https://www.cityofjerseycity.com/WebTaxInquiry/AccountSearch.aspx

I went to the website www.easytaxfix.com and it seems almost too good to be true! It was incredibly easy to do.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WS20 wrote:
I live on Warren Street in 600 square feet and pay $7900 (no parking, no yard, no AC, no nothing). That's makes sense, right? : ) Any advice aside from the obvious.

Generally, you have got to pay, that's the cost of living in JC. I posted tis earlier, but to repeat, you might be entitled to a huge property tax reduction if the City hasn't valued your property correctly:

www.easytaxfix.com

I used it last year, and saved over $7k/year on my tax bill. The other useful sites are

and

Posted on: 2011/3/10 5:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/10 5:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/10 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
Hi folks... they introduced the budget and we the property taxpayer are going to get SCREWED again!

Another 12% (or MORE)

Protest now. Appeal your taxes NOW before April 1.

The more people that appeal, the more the city will realize....

THEY HAVE TO CUT SPENDING. CUT SALARIES. CUT THE PORK...

This is getting freaking OBNOXIOUS.

HELLO. Protest. Lets get some Egyptian and Lybian revolution here in Jersey City.

FG

Where did you get this information from? This article states "The Jersey City City Council tonight unanimously approved the introduction of a $477 million 2011 municipal budget that city officials say will come with no municipal tax hike"

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dojan wrote:

Posted on: 2011/3/10 4:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/27 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand how they are raising taxes 12%? Isn't there this two percent property tax cap in place through the state? The list of towns asking to be excused from the cap came out the other day and Jersey City wasn't on it. The only town/city in all of New Jersey that was excused, so far as I know, was Camden.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Property tax increases have significantly outpaced rental costs in percentage terms. The rent market has been fairly static for the last few years while prop taxes have been going up double digits.

Landlords can't raise prices much as JC only works for renters when it's significantly cheaper than NYC, Hoboken and Brooklyn...

Rental prices were rising rapidly well through the end of 2007 and early 2008. Leases from 2009 and onward certainly had some cuts and renter concessions, but once more rents are creeping back up again.

Rental prices absolutely reflect increases in property taxes, but they also reflect market trends more rapidly since tenants can move out more easily than a home owner can sell a property.

The gold rush of the mid 2000's real estate bubble trained landlords and property investors to believe that rental properties should become instantly profitably even while paying off mortgage interest; such is not the case. Real estate has always been a long term investment.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Property tax increases have significantly outpaced rental costs in percentage terms. The rent market has been fairly static for the last few years while prop taxes have been going up double digits.

Landlords can't raise prices much as JC only works for renters when it's significantly cheaper than NYC, Hoboken and Brooklyn...

Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can say that last year it was around 26%. It may have changed, I can also say that easytaxfix may use 2010 not 2011 county records.

It's got some bugs. But for $80 or so it's much better than using a service that may cost you $400+.

And trust me....the JC/Hudson County/assessors are not adversarial in the appeals process....if you appeal, they won't stiff you....quite the reverse, they'll do everything they can for you to make a successful appeal.

When I was at the appeals hearings last year, I really felt that the public employees were trying to do the right thing. I was very impressed by them. Even for people that were trying to DIY and had things wrong.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Remember - your "assessed value" on your property tax bill is around 1/4 of what the City thinks your property is worth. Multiply that number by 4 to get what the City thinks is the market value of your property. If you think your property is worth < 15% lower than that - you have a good basis for an appeal.

For example:

City Assessed Value = $250,000
Implied market Value = $250k x .26(county equaliz rate) ~= $1,000,000
True Market Value (see zillow.com) = < $850,000

www.easytaxfix.com

and

Easy Tax Fix says Hudson County's equalization rate is 29%, not 26%. Which one is actually correct? That could make a difference in meeting the 15% threshold for some people, including myself.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

The property tax is in your rent, unless you live in an abated property. You're paying.

Not really. From 2004 through 2010, my rent went up 10%.
Not 10% per year, 10% total.

The tax increases could not be passed on to the renters because if they were, people wouldn't be comparing JC to Brooklyn...they'd be living in Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/12 17:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Let's see how Healy tries to hide away from the numbers during his State of the City address next week!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 3:17
Jay Res

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
I am protesting in my own way: I have lived in JC for 6+ years but am adamantly opposed to purchasing property here. If enough of us continue to abstain from buying unreasonably taxed property here, the property values (and property tax revenue) will continue to drop 'til the city gov't will realize that 'less' will ultimately mean 'more'.

The property tax is in your rent, unless you live in an abated property. You're paying.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/9 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Remember - your "assessed value" on your property tax bill is around 1/4 of what the City thinks your property is worth. Multiply that number by 4 to get what the City thinks is the market value of your property. If you think your property is worth < 15% lower than that - you have a good basis for an appeal.

For example:

City Assessed Value = $250,000
Implied market Value = $250k x .26(county equaliz rate) ~= $1,000,000
True Market Value (see zillow.com) = < $850,000

www.easytaxfix.com

and

Posted on: 2011/3/9 2:20

Facing another 12% tax increase.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hi folks... they introduced the budget and we the property taxpayer are going to get SCREWED again!

Another 12% (or MORE)

Protest now. Appeal your taxes NOW before April 1.

The more people that appeal, the more the city will realize....

THEY HAVE TO CUT SPENDING. CUT SALARIES. CUT THE PORK...

This is getting freaking OBNOXIOUS.

HELLO. Protest. Lets get some Egyptian and Lybian revolution here in Jersey City.

FG

Posted on: 2011/3/9 1:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017