Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Paulus Hook Crime Last Night
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

But did you read that you let one incident dictate how you live. Ive lived here my whole life and had multiple times of someone wanting to robbed me and such. People let 1 incident make up there whole mind about a city. JC is not bad, but THIS IS A CITY. Do not expect that walking around at any time of the day you won't get threatened in any way. That's what makes this city so gritty, which is why i hate how the developers make this city try and feel. They treat these real estate as if it's some type of suburbs.

But i agree with you on the entertainment issue, i've been saying this for years....and i think that's the reason why people feel threatened and why people THINK a lot of crime happens. There is nothing to do for "average" person, someone who isn't an artist or a young pro. If there was more type of entertainment, most people would actully be doing things instead of just hanging around looking for something to do. It needs to be done for the public, allowing anyone to come in from any background.

One thing i would like to see if a baseball stadium build right on the apartments between Columbus and Montgomery, the lot seems big enough for that type of stadium and since most baseball games are held at night, theyre should be a constant flow of traffic( car & people). That would hopefully lead to other business' setting up shop around the area. Since that area is so close to 3 light rail stops and PATH stops, along with buses, it shouldn't be hard for locals to get there, and since I-78 is only a few block away any out-of -towners can get in & out of the city moderately fast. Again, that's just something that would make sense to me to add in that area and just satisfies our need to be on a national scale. I think it would work....do you???

Yes, I did let that one incident determine how I operate very late at night. At 2:30 AM, I'd rather drive or take a cab back from a friend's house to mine than walk it or walk with a GROUP of friends. The streets are desolate, most people are asleep at that hour, not very well lit, we've laid off police officers, and the economy has gotten worse so one has to be cognizant of all of that to determine his/her comfort level. I grew up in Monmouth County and the town in which I did, you could walk late at night at say 2 from someone's house. However, while I thoroughly liked where I grew up, I would find it a tad boring/staid as an adult professional male with no children.

Your idea sounds compelling, we sorely need different forms of entertainment IMHO, whether indie/artsy/foreign film place, restaurants, bars, galleries, sports, etc. and I think if we had variety, it would not only permit the residents of JC to frequent such places, but also those who work here and flee to suburbs after work. I am not sure how the Bears stadium does in Newark but I think Commerce Stadium down in Bridgewater does well from what I recall as I used to go there with clients of my former job.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Now that was funny. So glad I'm a liberal.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You forgot to mention that Togo, Nancy Drew's freakin dog, was also subjected to seeing the guys getting arrested.

Sincerely,
a black and Hispanic person who really loves Jersey City, especially Van Vorst.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 17:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
I usually don't comment on anything on here because I feel stupid, but I can't resist this one. I mean two days ago this was a thread with disgusting racism. Now its just pure entertainment

Does anyone else notice that JCList is more entertaining in the wintertime? I mean... "Nancy effing Drew." Lolz

What I have learned from this thread is that warm weather part of the world people cause crime on the streets in the summertime, and that cold weather part of the world people cause crime on the internets during wintertime. Also, when Torico's opens back up, it's all down hill from there.

Sincerly,
A white person who can't afford Hoboken, but wouldn't live there if he could.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 17:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 14:59
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I've lived in Paulus Hook for 5 years now. Many, many times I have walked late, late at night on my own from a bar on Washington or from the Path at Grove or Exchange Pl. Did I feel safe all the time? No. But I felt SAFER that if I had been walking late at night in other parts of this city. If I saw a person walking on the same street, I didn't go by his/her race, but by the attitude or "vibe" I might felt coming from that person.

I agree with the people who say that this is a city and crime will never be completely gone, however it is also normal to expect "less" occurences of crime in certain areas. I'd not move just because the cops arrested someone down my street, in the contrary to know that the cops were there to do the arresting, that should make you feel safer!

The rest of the posts made me laugh so I thank you for the comic releif, sarcasm and smart asses are needed.

I like it here in JC

Oh, and sorry if I misspelled any words, I am at work and typing rather fast.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Where is the MJ eating popcorn gif? someone, anyone?

Posted on: 2011/3/3 5:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
[Quote]I think downtown Jersey City needs better lighting as a possible deterrent against miscreant behavior. PH and VVP are dimly lit in my opinion and parts of PH are fairly desolate after the work crowd departs so there's no pulse/life on the streets which may entice a criminal element. Speaking of which, we need more nightlife/entertainment options as not everyone wants to socialize in the City all the time, but I digress. We also need more beat cops (which isn't likely going to happen with our budgetary crisis/constraints). I've only felt my safety threatened/comromised once since living in this area (2004) and that's when I was walking naively back to my house from a party in Harsimus Cove at 2:30 in the morning. Won't do that again. [Quote]

But did you read that you let one incident dictate how you live. Ive lived here my whole life and had multiple times of someone wanting to robbed me and such. People let 1 incident make up there whole mind about a city. JC is not bad, but THIS IS A CITY. Do not expect that walking around at any time of the day you won't get threatened in any way. That's what makes this city so gritty, which is why i hate how the developers make this city try and feel. They treat these real estate as if it's some type of suburbs.

But i agree with you on the entertainment issue, i've been saying this for years....and i think that's the reason why people feel threatened and why people THINK a lot of crime happens. There is nothing to do for "average" person, someone who isn't an artist or a young pro. If there was more type of entertainment, most people would actully be doing things instead of just hanging around looking for something to do. It needs to be done for the public, allowing anyone to come in from any background.

One thing i would like to see if a baseball stadium build right on the apartments between Columbus and Montgomery, the lot seems big enough for that type of stadium and since most baseball games are held at night, theyre should be a constant flow of traffic( car & people). That would hopefully lead to other business' setting up shop around the area. Since that area is so close to 3 light rail stops and PATH stops, along with buses, it shouldn't be hard for locals to get there, and since I-78 is only a few block away any out-of -towners can get in & out of the city moderately fast. Again, that's just something that would make sense to me to add in that area and just satisfies our need to be on a national scale. I think it would work....do you???

Posted on: 2011/3/3 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Mercyme,

Please provide answers to the following:

Quote:
does anybody know what happaned in Paulus Hook last night around 10:00 through 1:00 a.m. I was walking my dog and saw undercover cops busting about 3 black men and puting them in an unmarked car - then took off with sirens blazing.

the other police cars seemed to be going towards the old Sandbar area.

Of the course the paper mentions nothing, but it was a good three hours of on-off police cars and sirens.

Can you describe on and off? Every 5 minutes for three hours? Every 15 minutes? Once every hour?

Were you walking you dog for three hours?

Quote:
If you read what I wrote - I SAW the police cars and SAW people getting arrested.

Did you see the police cars responding to the same place for 3 hours?

Did you see police cars for three hours or see them for a bit and hear them for the rest of the three hours? Please explain the differences between police, ambulance, and fire sirens and your proficiency in identifying each by sound only.

If you were out for three hours, why didn't you just ask the police what was going on?

Quote:
I am renting - i thank God I never bought here - its very dark and scary - and there is a certain bad element that is coming back out now that the weather isn't freezing....

Why are you happy that you didn't buy here?

What certain bad element are you referring to? Where did they go when it was freezing? Does the bad element hibernate? Please cite specific sociological and scientific references when answering.

Quote:
I simply asked what happened. A bunch of arrogant snots on this site - I have lived here for years - but when a bunch of dregs of society come into my neighborhood, I want to know what's going on.

Happens every time the weather gets nice. "THESE" people don't like it when its cold. you all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Please define dregs of society and their identifying features. I think everyone here would like to make sure they can properly identify dregs when they come in contact with them.

I don't know who "THESE" people are. Please be more specific. Who are they?

Quote:
Yeah - not backpeddling; trying to be ironic; but again, what the actual IQ level is versus what you all think you are, is a big difference.

And yes, my puggle certainly has people quacking in the boots....

As for calling the police for an explanation - LOL....

Please use proper grammar and syntax when answer the questions.

Define the word ironic and how you used irony in your previous posts.

What is the IQ of each person that responded in this forum? Explain what methodology you have used to ascertain their IQ. Please provide analysis and references to support your arguments.

Why wouldn't you call the police for an explanation as that would be the easiest, simplest, and most logical means to determine the nature of the incident? LOL is not an acceptable answer. Please explain more explicitly.

What exactly is your IQ? What is your occupation? What is your age? What is your annual income? These last questions are for statistical purposes only and will not be used to form any opinion of you.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 2:42
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/6 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
The Lenape. Ha! Maybe not that far back. My point was that anyone living in Paulus Hook shouldn't be surprised by crime since it was pretty rampant not much more than a decade ago. That's where we went to do naughty stuff in high school since it was a bit of a no man's land.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 2:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/19 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah - not backpeddling; trying to be ironic; but again, what the actual IQ level is versus what you all think you are, is a big difference.

And yes, my puggle certainly has people quacking in the boots....

As for calling the police for an explanation - LOL....

Posted on: 2011/3/3 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing I can say is maybe you can call the police dept to find out what happened. Not sure if you can get this info through the phone.

And people who cross the street when they see you with your dog may just be people who are nervous around dogs and may have nothing to do with what your skin color is. Just throwing that out there.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Alright, which one of you Lenapes threw chicken bones in my front yard?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/3/2 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Look Nancy Drew,
Some probably got on their soapbox and called you into question when you decided to get all cute and coy with:

"Happens every time the weather gets nice. "THESE" people don't like it when its cold. you all know exactly what I'm talking about."

Don't backpedal now.

Many concerned citizens in Jersey City and ALL parts of Jersey City, (whether white, black, Asian, Hispanic) are concerned about crime and detest it.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mercyme wrote:
No - nobody answered my original question. And FYI - I am a minority woman - but I guess nobody really cares - everybody gets on their soapbox about racist nonsense.

So - I guess I will move out because the Lenape Indians WERE here before I was....whatever that meant....

Such highbrows on this site. The same one's who cross the street when they see me walking down it with my dog....

My post way back a few pages ago was not intended to be a stab at you personally. I just feel like whenever I see a post similar to this one I think of the person on the other end of the comp as somebody that belongs on American Gentrifier, and I get slightly aggravated. Thats my explanation, I dcant speak for the rest of the crowd though.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 22:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/19 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
No - nobody answered my original question. And FYI - I am a minority woman - but I guess nobody really cares - everybody gets on their soapbox about racist nonsense.

So - I guess I will move out because the Lenape Indians WERE here before I was....whatever that meant....

Such highbrows on this site. The same one's who cross the street when they see me walking down it with my dog....

Posted on: 2011/3/2 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ida wrote:
Quote:

mercyme wrote:
I simply asked what happened. A bunch of arrogant snots on this site - I have lived here for years - but when a bunch of dregs of society come into my neighborhood, I want to know what's going on.

You do realize it was their neighborhood before it was yours.

The Lenape?

Posted on: 2011/3/2 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think downtown Jersey City needs better lighting as a possible deterrent against miscreant behavior. PH and VVP are dimly lit in my opinion and parts of PH are fairly desolate after the work crowd departs so there's no pulse/life on the streets which may entice a criminal element. Speaking of which, we need more nightlife/entertainment options as not everyone wants to socialize in the City all the time, but I digress. We also need more beat cops (which isn't likely going to happen with our budgetary crisis/constraints). I've only felt my safety threatened/comromised once since living in this area (2004) and that's when I was walking naively back to my house from a party in Harsimus Cove at 2:30 in the morning. Won't do that again.

Anyway, the veiled and not-so-veiled Archie Bunker talk is tiresome and counterproductive. Having a criminal disposition is not an innate quality to one being merely black and Hispanic. Rather, being intractably poor over generations, being marginalized, not having a decent education, a dearth of job opportunities which will only get worse with a bad economy (the black unemployment rate is almost twice that of whites I believe) and not having ideal suitable parents will raise the stakes to one perhaps commiting or considering a crime whether out of sheer desperation or being a maladjusted thug with no regard for civil society. Simply put, it's a CLASS thing, not a race thing. I think white people in poorer areas are quite familiar with crime committed by other white people. Anyone see the show Cops? Also, while I certainly don't condone it, I can sort of rationalize a poor person committing say theft, or selling weed or being a part of an underground economy, but I don't get the Madoff types who were born middle class, made some wealth but yet resort to such egregious brazen criminal acts.

http://gawker.com/#!5774507/brownston ... errified-of-hip+hop-music

This is interesting. Didn't realize Seaside Heights was so high up on the list.

http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereport ... tlistranking.cfm?state=NJ

Posted on: 2011/3/2 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
so in the midst of all this, has anyone actually confirmed what happened in PH that night? Anyone??

Posted on: 2011/3/2 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Oh MY! Hide the children, Paulus Hook has become Greenville and Bergen Lafayette merged.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Criminals commit crimes. Not races. Not socio-economic groups. Criminals. Gangs are probably the biggest scourge at the moment.

Sometimes I think the biggest overhaul to the (in)justice system should be that the defendant should have the right to choose the type of judge and jury. Why shouldn't, for example, a defendant be able to select an Islamic judge and jury of Asian decent? The justice process needs to be weighted in the favor of the defendant. The Magna Carta principles are a millenia old - time to update them?

So a person who may actually be guilty should be able to stack the deck in their favor? I strongly disagree. The jury is chosen by both the defense and the prosecution. The Judge is simply a referee who oversees the proceedings. Ask any person who has prosecuted a case in the Bronx. Juries there are notorious for going easy on criminals who they view as not that different from themselves. (Not so much for really horrible crimes but for Larry Davis type cases they will often sympathize with a defendant).

Posted on: 2011/3/2 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
I don?t think a Black, Asian, or Puerto Rican person would ever think of doing what his white chick did. Glad she is not from JC?.

Bayonne (white) woman charged with stealing crucifix from Jersey City church after confessing sins and receiving Holy Communion

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... man_charged_with_ste.html

(stealing from a church is a white man?s crime?it?s up there with mass murderer)

Ah, you're correct. There has never been a Black, Asian, or Latino person that stole anything from a church, ever. Good point.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t think a Black, Asian, or Puerto Rican person would ever think of doing what this white chick did. Glad she is not from JC?.

Bayonne (white) woman charged with stealing crucifix from Jersey City church after confessing sins and receiving Holy Communion

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... man_charged_with_ste.html

(stealing from a church is a white man?s crime?it?s up there with mass murderer)

Posted on: 2011/3/2 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think anybody is claiming that white people don't commit crimes, because that claim would be very silly. But in any city, in any state in the US, you are much less likely to be the victim of a random, violent crime (mugging/stabbing/etc) at the hands of a white person or an Asian person than at the hands of a black or Latino person. That's not racist, or even an opinion. It's just pure facts.

And let's face it - random/violent crimes are the ones that your average person worries about on a regular basis in urban areas. I don't think people walking home down a dark street at 2 am are worried about Bernie Madoff types jumping out from an alley and committing a Ponzi scheme on them.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/2 6:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Why shouldn't, for example, a defendant be able to select an Islamic judge

Now you've done it. SHARIA LAW! SHARIA LAW! Run for your lives!

That wasn't the point, You've either got to accept that the US is so homegenized that any judge and jury is totally fair, or accept they're not and give folks alternatives. I don't really know if the justice system in the US is fair or not....but giving defendants more choice has got to be a good thing....

Posted on: 2011/3/2 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Why shouldn't, for example, a defendant be able to select an Islamic judge

Now you've done it. SHARIA LAW! SHARIA LAW! Run for your lives!

Posted on: 2011/3/2 2:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/6 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercyme wrote:

You do realize it was their neighborhood before it was yours.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Criminals commit crimes. Not races. Not socio-economic groups. Criminals. Gangs are probably the biggest scourge at the moment.

Sometimes I think the biggest overhaul to the (in)justice system should be that the defendant should have the right to choose the type of judge and jury. Why shouldn't, for example, a defendant be able to select an Islamic judge and jury of Asian decent? The justice process needs to be weighted in the favor of the defendant. The Magna Carta principles are a millenia old - time to update them?

Posted on: 2011/3/2 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
All sorts of crimes happen in Bergen county. I mean hey they found a half ton of Cocaine in a block of houses in Fort Lee. I mean how should we profile in Paulus Hook?

Cop A: We got two suspicious people walking here. They fit the description of a few warrants we have.

Cop B: Yeah how?

Cop A: Well I got a few here says Black male, usually wearing a Yankee Cap.

Cop B: Ok, well thats enough for suspicion. Better go pick em up.

Is that how you want things going down?

Posted on: 2011/3/2 1:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
and how an idiot like this is still kept around surprises me. Like white people dont commit crime..smh

The point is that people exaggerate the crime rate in this city. Even if you live in manhattan you wouldn't walk out at night wearing you most expensive jewelry even though ny is the safest major city in the country. If you really feel that unsafe is probably one of the safest cities then move out to the suburbs.....smh. Some people are just simply ignorant and racist. Has anyone blamed the frat boys that blast their techno on full volume??? but only point towards black and hispanic as being so ignorant in a case like that?

Only newbies complain about how bad it is, its already march and we've only had about maybe what 9-13 shootings, maybe 5 stabbing, and a few robberies and ITS MARCH. That is good statistics, grante my own unfactual but based on the ones i know about. Obviously crime rate will spike because EVERYBODY is outside, not just black and hispanic people starting to go outside.

It's people like you (racist) that mess things up. Quick to blame others, dont bring your negativity to the city, we have enough of it.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 1:11

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017