Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Re: towing at shoprite

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/15 14:38
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you! I will be contacting them. I'm going to call the property owners first to find out what their policies are in regard to the mysterious person working for them claimed by EZ towing that's calling the towing request and what is their standard of proof for towing. I have no doubt that EZ realized their mistake in towing my car since they released my car without charging a fine. It won't take a Sherlock Holmes to see me on camera in shoprite .

What irks me most is the lack of accountability. EZ towing say its the property owner's responsibility since they called in the towing request....I'm wondering if the property owner will say they know nothing....nothing at all.....

When I was on the phone with EZ trying to get my car back, I asked where is the accountability in this? The EZ guy said "what accountability?"

I said exactly....had to chuckle at that one....

Posted on: 2011/4/11 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jchuman wrote:
Hi!

I found this forum because I was a victim of EZ towing. It seems they are still doing the same predatory towing . Frankly I don't have a problem with them towing people if they leave the property but I didn't! I went shopping in Shoprite with a neighbor and thought my car was stolen when I couldn't find it.

There I was, standing in the lot with a elderly lady and $300+ of groceries between us defrosting so I hired a car service to take us home . The car service driver said my car was probably towed and not stolen, he told me to call the 2 towing companies. When I called EZ, they admitted to towing my car and said it was because we left the property to go to the mall. We did NO such thing, My neighbor and I have shoprite receipts for that time. EZ stated they are not responsible and that someone working for the property owner called to have my car towed. I asked to speak to this person so the problem could be resolved but EZ said they just get calls from them for towing and can't contact them. I asked for photo or video proof of us going to the mall and EZ said they don't take videos anymore. When I pressed for proof, EZ stated the spotter saw 2 males leaving my car headed to the mall. My neighbor is an elderly lady and when I said this, he quickly said he meant 2 persons, again he could provide no proof other than what the spotter told him.

When I was at the EZ lot to get my car back, a worker showed me a log showing the car parked at 10:30 and was towed at 11:04. the 2 shoprite receipts has the times of 11:31 and 11:34......so it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out we were really in shoprite since we filled 2 shopping carts......EZ also said the receipts was no proof since I could have picked them up, he didn't say more when I said the receipt was paid by debit card and there is a connection. EZ wasn't interested that shoprite cashier was still on duty and could ID me.

Long story short, EZ let me get my car back without paying their fee. They acted like It was all my fault and they did me a huge favor. No apology or any acknowledgment of a mistake or wrong doing of any kind ! In fact their worker at the lot tried to chastise me for being upset!

As I stated earlier, I have no problem of towing on private property , but is EZ the kind of towing Co. that the property owners want to provide service for them? Surely there must be an accountable towing company left in jersey City. I will pursue this matter to seek some answers, I'm appalled this has gone on so long and still continues.

Post 289 (look above) has this at the end of the news article.

Anyone who thinks they have been cheated by a business, or suspect any other form of consumer abuse, can file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Affairs at www.NJConsumerAffairs.gov or by calling (800) 242-5846 or (973) 504-6200.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/8 3:36
Group:
Registered Users
It's actually the County Prosecutor's office (not the District Attorney, that's a NY thing). But you might also want to reach out to somebody at the State Office of Attorney General. Towing practices have been under a lot of scrutiny lately.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Send all your documentation to your City council member, to the Jersey Journal, and to the District Attorney's office.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/15 14:38
Group:
Registered Users
Hi!

I found this forum because I was a victim of EZ towing. It seems they are still doing the same predatory towing . Frankly I don't have a problem with them towing people if they leave the property but I didn't! I went shopping in Shoprite with a neighbor and thought my car was stolen when I couldn't find it.

There I was, standing in the lot with a elderly lady and $300+ of groceries between us defrosting so I hired a car service to take us home . The car service driver said my car was probably towed and not stolen, he told me to call the 2 towing companies. When I called EZ, they admitted to towing my car and said it was because we left the property to go to the mall. We did NO such thing, My neighbor and I have shoprite receipts for that time. EZ stated they are not responsible and that someone working for the property owner called to have my car towed. I asked to speak to this person so the problem could be resolved but EZ said they just get calls from them for towing and can't contact them. I asked for photo or video proof of us going to the mall and EZ said they don't take videos anymore. When I pressed for proof, EZ stated the spotter saw 2 males leaving my car headed to the mall. My neighbor is an elderly lady and when I said this, he quickly said he meant 2 persons, again he could provide no proof other than what the spotter told him.

When I was at the EZ lot to get my car back, a worker showed me a log showing the car parked at 10:30 and was towed at 11:04. the 2 shoprite receipts has the times of 11:31 and 11:34......so it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out we were really in shoprite since we filled 2 shopping carts......EZ also said the receipts was no proof since I could have picked them up, he didn't say more when I said the receipt was paid by debit card and there is a connection. EZ wasn't interested that shoprite cashier was still on duty and could ID me.

Long story short, EZ let me get my car back without paying their fee. They acted like It was all my fault and they did me a huge favor. No apology or any acknowledgment of a mistake or wrong doing of any kind ! In fact their worker at the lot tried to chastise me for being upset!

As I stated earlier, I have no problem of towing on private property , but is EZ the kind of towing Co. that the property owners want to provide service for them? Surely there must be an accountable towing company left in jersey City. I will pursue this matter to seek some answers, I'm appalled this has gone on so long and still continues.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 22:14

Re: BUSTED! EZ-Towing & Danny's of ShopRite Lot Infamy

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/14 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
Nice! Those low-life scumbags need to be put in jail, like every other corrupt, Jersey City low-life. What douchebags. Here is the link:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/ ... ory_towing_crackdown.html

This a-hole tried to explain that he has a 'contract", when he doesn't. These a-holes are low IQ low-lifes... if they ever come near my car, they will be paying a visit to the Jersey City Medical Center.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
As of last week-- the tow guys were still at it -- i was at Pep Boys when two guys came in complaining about having just been towed - they thought their car had been stolen.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
They are also obligated to submit to binding arbitration in all outstanding consumer complaints, and for any disputed consumer complaints filed within the next year, Buccino said.

So if I read this correctly, anyone that has been towed in the past can file a complaint within the next year and EZ/Danny's must address the complaint legitimately.

It would seem that a driver who has received a tow could dispute it and win because the towing company used illegal trolling practices and they often (based upon the comments in the ShopRite towing thread) did not accept credit cards unless pressed to.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 12:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:47
Group:
Banned
EZ-towing has been doing that racket for years. 20 years ago they tried to tow my car, I ran out, and in the end they did not tow. But it almost came to blows. Good thing it did not, because the tow guy had a tire iron.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oooooooh! $20,000. That's gotta hurt.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 3:48
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Good. fk them. I don't even own a car and I think they're scum.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 3:42

BUSTED! EZ-Towing & Danny's of ShopRite Lot Infamy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
From NJ.com
Link to Article

A state probe into predatory towing complaints has resulted in two Jersey City car towing companies agreeing to pay nearly $20,000 each in civil penalties, attorney fees, and investigation costs, officials with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs said yesterday.

"It is completely unacceptable, nearly two years after the state's Predatory Towing Prevention Act went into effect, for any towing company to be running roughshod over consumers and their rights," said Thomas R. Calcagni, acting director of the Division of Consumer Affairs.

As a result of the inquiry, Gary Matarazzo of EZ Towing and Recovery on Grand Street, and Daniel E. Johnson of Danny's Towing on Eighth Street, have agreed to, among other things, cease all predatory towing practices, Division of Consumer Affairs spokesman Neal Buccino said in a press release.

They are also obligated to submit to binding arbitration in all outstanding consumer complaints, and for any disputed consumer complaints filed within the next year, Buccino said.

The two towing companies may be best known by residents for their swift work towing illegally parked cars from the lot used by patrons of Pep Boys, ShopRite and BJ's, near the Newport Centre Mall in Downtown Jersey City.

"Let it be known: the days of towing companies casing out parking lots, hijacking someone's vehicle, and holding it for a cash ransom while authorities quietly stand by, are over," Calcagni said.

The Predatory Towing Prevention Act prohibits towers from failing to release a vehicle hooked or lifted but not yet removed from private property upon request of the vehicle's owner.

It prohibits trolling for vehicles parked without authorization, paying for information about vehicles parked without authorization, refusing to accept an insurance company check or a debit card, charge card, credit card or check for towing or storage services, if the company ordinarily accepts them.

It also prohibits charging unreasonable or excessive fee, and charging for a towing or storage service that is not on the Division of Consumer Affairs list of services.

Anyone who thinks they have been cheated by a business, or suspect any other form of consumer abuse, can file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Affairs at www.NJConsumerAffairs.gov or by calling or .

Posted on: 2011/3/9 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:

I've never experienced the pleasure of being towed out of the Shoprite parking lot, but I've read somewhere on this site, maybe even in this thread, that JCPD indicates that there is nothing they can do and that the car owners have to pay. Anyone know if this has changed or is inaccurate?

In the fox 5 report in the link above, besides that parking lot they go into one in Union City, where the city gave them a cease and desist letter because of their predatory towing practices. If they can why can't we (jersey City)?

Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

12345 wrote:
If you get towed the thing to do is pay with American Express, Visa or MC. If the towing people say not accepted then immediately call the police and file a report and demand your care be released. At that point the tow operator will most likely accept your credit card.

The law requires that all tow operators in NJ accept credit cards. They cannot offer a discount for cash either, if they do call your credit card company and complain; thieir credit card privilages can be terminated.

I've never experienced the pleasure of being towed out of the Shoprite parking lot, but I've read somewhere on this site, maybe even in this thread, that JCPD indicates that there is nothing they can do and that the car owners have to pay. Anyone know if this has changed or is inaccurate?

Posted on: 2011/2/22 14:29
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
While it is true if you leave the shopping center, even to that bank next door to use the ATM, they have every right to tow you, it is also true that the towing companies are also acting in an unlawful manner. If the shoppers/parkers have to abide by the law, so should the companies that act as the enforcers/punishers.

How are the tow truck companies not abiding by the law...can you give an itemized list ? It's funny how the "patrons" can't figure out how to park but they're cunning enough to monitor the tow truck business who is just trying to do they're job. Start a class action lawsuit or man up and do it yourself.

I have never been towed, as I only park there to shop at BJ's so it doesn;t affect me; if it does it;s in the positive as I can always find a parking space there. But to answer your question, the 2 main state laws they're breaking are 1. the owner of the lot must call the towing company (they're using spotters) and 2. They demand cash, under state law towing companies must accept credit cards. you can argue the merits of these laws, but the fact is they are laws and the towing companies are breaking them.
Scroll up to the fox 5 link if it's still active there are a bunch of others they're breaking as well.

apologies Heights, the link was in another thread. take a look at all the laws their breaking.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local ... ivers-new-jersey-20101216

Posted on: 2011/2/22 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
If you get towed the thing to do is pay with American Express, Visa or MC. If the towing people say not accepted then immediately call the police and file a report and demand your care be released. At that point the tow operator will most likely accept your credit card.

The law requires that all tow operators in NJ accept credit cards. They cannot offer a discount for cash either, if they do call your credit card company and complain; thieir credit card privilages can be terminated.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 21:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/2 7:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I?m thinking the video taping by the tow Company breaks some privacy laws since they are neither management or security of the lot..

The owner of the property (ABC Investors or whoever) obviously consented to have the taping system in place, they can have it monitored by whomever they like. No judge would find that shopping center patrons have an expectation of privacy walking around a huge public parking lot.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
How about the tow trucks driving around with front windows tinted? I?m thinking the video taping by the tow Company breaks some privacy laws since they are neither management or security of the lot..

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
While it is true if you leave the shopping center, even to that bank next door to use the ATM, they have every right to tow you, it is also true that the towing companies are also acting in an unlawful manner. If the shoppers/parkers have to abide by the law, so should the companies that act as the enforcers/punishers.

How are the tow truck companies not abiding by the law...can you give an itemized list ? It's funny how the "patrons" can't figure out how to park but they're cunning enough to monitor the tow truck business who is just trying to do they're job. Start a class action lawsuit or man up and do it yourself.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:

I have never been towed, as I only park there to shop at BJ's so it doesn;t affect me; if it does it;s in the positive as I can always find a parking space there. But to answer your question, the 2 main state laws they're breaking are 1. the owner of the lot must call the towing company (they're using spotters) and 2. They demand cash, under state law towing companies must accept credit cards. you can argue the merits of these laws, but the fact is they are laws and the towing companies are breaking them.
Scroll up to the fox 5 link if it's still active there are a bunch of others they're breaking as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Posted on: 2011/2/21 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/2/21 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
What don't people get about the parking? Am I stupid or something? You cannot park in ShopRite or BJ's and walk out of the lot to go to Chili's for lunch or to the mall to shop. There are signs everywhere. If they don't tow you then every person hopping the LightRail will park in that lot for free when they go to work in NYC.

Wake up already - either shop where you park or park somewhere else and pay the lousy $4 at the mall. Ignorance .....that's all it is.....something for nothing....sorry folks it doesn't work that way in JC !!!!

Posted on: 2011/2/21 2:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/25 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
no. question. about. it.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThePunisher wrote:
I deal with this on a everyday bases and it gets so retard after asking 20 & 20 question, just to find out they park where they were not suppose to with signs all over the place saying not to go figure. I call laziness and stupidity.

I call run-on sentence.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 7:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/20 3:10
Group:
Registered Users
I cant believe you people are crying about be towed from areas that your not suppose to be parked in and crying scam LoL. its a very simple solution..... DON'T PARK WERE YOU NOT SUPPOSE TO.. simple as that. I deal with this on a everyday bases and it gets so retard after asking 20 & 20 question, just to find out they park where they were not suppose to with signs all over the place saying not to go figure. I call laziness and stupidity.

Sincerely yours,
A future tow truck owner
(Just for the fun of it)

Posted on: 2011/2/20 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, Danny's or E-Z Towing may be 100% within their rights to tow the cars from the parking lot at Shop Rite, but it really PISSES ME OFF that they will only accept cash, no credit or debit cards and are BREAKING THE LAW OF JERSEY CITY IN PLAIN SIGHT. Of course, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, given the track record of our administration, which is known for not enforcing laws that matter, like the residency requirement for Jersey City employees.

I have avoided going to this Shop Rite for years because of this practice, even though I've never been towed from that lot. The A&P is better anyway IMHO. I occasionally go to the Bed Bath & Beyond but the towing practices on this lot have managed to piss me off even more than I thought they could so I'll avoid buying anything there as well.

By the way, since Shop Rite and BJ's say they can't do anything about it, maybe you could mention to the owners of the shopping center space how you feel about it. I'm not going to post who they are - check the Jersey City property tax records and you can figure it out. There is a good chance that the rent paid by Shop Rite, BJ's and Bed Bath & Beyond is a percentage of the amount of monthly sales they make (common practice in the retail industry) and it is in the landlord's interest that their tenants do well as far as sales go. Maybe the landlords don't care either but trying is worth more than bitching and moaning.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 4:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Question for Gary Matarazzo......
Being a responsible business owner trying to make a living, do you feel a responsibility to train your drivers in regard to the driving their trucks safely? I guess you cannot control what your drivers do when they are out on the roads but you should probably know...
I live between Columbus and 2nd and you've got a driver who needs to SLOW DOWN when he is chasing down an illegal parker. There are a lot of people living in those few blocks and I am sure they can all agree that this driver speeds recklessly and speeds in the lot behind BJ's (which is a one way... the opposite way your driver goes) He does not stop...or even slow down when approaching intersections. Are you familiar with NJC Idling laws? There is on truck idling across from where I live constantly.

About a month ago one of your drivers was attempting to tow a vehicle from BJ/BBB/SR lot when the owner realized she was about to be towed and ran back to her car. The driver lowered his pitchfork and backed up toward the car as the woman stood there screaming her head off in fear he'd run her over...he was relentless until enough passersby started to come to her aid, when he sped off (in a parking lot.. people, pets, kids, strollers.. get the picture?)

We understand you need to run a business but in order to garner any respect your people need to respect the community. Your company gets a bad rap because they disregard the laws and act like hungry animals in pursuit of their prey. Just my observation..

Posted on: 2010/10/13 0:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/12 23:38
Group:
Registered Users
We have been living here in JC for two years now. We part at least 1X sometimes more each week for shopping at BJs and Shoprite. Never had our car towed. The tow truck operator probably does keep a close watch to be sure that only illegal parkers are towed.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 22:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
JCMC

Towers and Towing

http://library.municode.com/HTML/1609 ... OTO_S319-17REVEPAABPRPRFE

H. As a condition of receiving a tower's license under this chapter, a licensee shall at minimum arrange to accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cash and money order from the owner or driver of a vehicle for any towing, impoundment and storage fees. Personal check or other methods of payment will be at the option of the licensee. If payment is made by personal check, the licensee may require identification in the form of a valid major credit card in the name of the owner or driver of the vehicle. In appropriate cases and for good cause shown, the Division Director may waive the requirement of payment acceptance by credit card as to any tower who provides evidence of an unsuccessful but good faith attempt to make such arrangement. The licensee must provide an itemized receipt, including the licensee's name, address and telephone number, listing all fees charged. The payment options available shall be posted in a conspicuous place near the place of payment and shall be on the rate schedule required to be given to the owner or driver of vehicles. The wording and placement of the payment options shall be approved by the Director.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 20:17

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017