Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Value Plus on Newark Ave btw Erie and Grove
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/8 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
And offices in Milano's is a complete waste of space. There is absolutely no way these office will bring people walking on the streets, checking out restaurants and bars and whatever.

This is why the addition of Barcade is great. Nothing else around here like it...great space, craft beers and an innovative idea that has worked very well in Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 23:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/8 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Rainbow shop is no better than the shit store that was there before. This is also a half assed Rainbow shop. At least the ones in Manhattan dont look like complete dumps.

Should have been a TRADER JOE's. Would have brought in everyone in and around JC as well as the Hoboken crowd.

Closest ones are the one in Edgewater which even people in Hoboken find it a pain to get to and the one on 23rd and 6th in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I was talking about all of Jersey City, not just downtown.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
On the subject of Newark Ave, is it possible that some people don't shop there because there's no parking? You can walk there, of course, but a lot of people treat JC as a suburb and don't want to walk. JC is a lot more spread out than Hoboken, and Morristown has downtown parking decks.

I don't thnk Downtown JC is any more spread out than Hoboken.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
On the subject of Newark Ave, is it possible that some people don't shop there because there's no parking? You can walk there, of course, but a lot of people treat JC as a suburb and don't want to walk. JC is a lot more spread out than Hoboken, and Morristown has downtown parking decks.

Funny, I've never had an issue parking my car near Newark.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/2/16 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wow-- Rainbow Shop is open for business. I've lived here for over 20 years and never saw a turnaround that fast. Storefronts usually stay closed for months on Newark Ave.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 1:42

Re: Milano Furniture space
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/15 12:18
Group:
Registered Users
could it be a spa with treatment rooms?

Posted on: 2011/2/12 19:51

Re: Milano Furniture space
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Red wrote:
Does anyone know what is happening with the old Milano Furniture space? I can see that there is some work going on inside - looks like the space is being partitioned into smaller rooms perhaps?

Yep, looks like offices. I peeked in the window from the Erie St side, and from there you can see a floorplan taped up on the opposite wall. Almost the entire space will be segmented into smaller rooms.

Bummer.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Yup, looks like an office space to me as well. Kinda unfortunate if indeed it is, that is an amazing space that could have been much more beneficial to Newark Ave as retail/restaurant.

That REALLY sucks. As much as doctors and lawyers are needed, I feel like at this stage of Newark Ave's development, it's really the last thing we need on Newark Ave itself.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 19:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Beats an empty storefront (and an overpriced furniture store for that matter).

Posted on: 2011/2/11 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, looks like an office space to me as well. Kinda unfortunate if indeed it is, that is an amazing space that could have been much more beneficial to Newark Ave as retail/restaurant.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
It looks more like offices to me.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully a 24 hour diner, or a bar. Or a nice clothing store - that would be huge, but unlikely with the big honking mall nearby.

Posted on: 2011/2/11 17:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/28 0:58
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what is happening with the old Milano Furniture space? I can see that there is some work going on inside - looks like the space is being partitioned into smaller rooms perhaps?

Posted on: 2011/2/11 17:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a sign in the window that Rainbow shops in going in here. Looks like more of the same.... http://www.rainbowshops.com/index2.html

Posted on: 2011/2/3 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Amazing that the Burger King space is still there and empty. Does anyone know what the deal with that is?

Posted on: 2010/11/21 2:49

Valu-Plus is closing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Good if the space is leased to someone who's going to make Newark Avenue livelier; sad if its just another vacant spot

Posted on: 2010/11/20 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived around here for 20 years and never heard the term "zinc." I will, though, admit to having used the word "pop" for pepsi, etc. back in my homeland...

I don't necessarily agree with you on the distribution of wealth downtown, but your experiences are your experiences. Look - we both want the same thing: for Newark Ave to stop being a toilet and to become something attractive and useful that begets more of the same.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I noticed that Hudson Camera is closed ... some sort of state, county or city seizure notice... I know the owner... great guy.. I suspect probably a tax issue... what a surpise... probably just holding on for a small business on Newark Ave and basically taxed out of business. Maybe real estate?

He is back open today - says he will be staying open! I heard he had an issue with a partner or some such thing.

I don't know how a camera store can make it however... but happy he does!

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bridif wrote:
Re: Burlington VT, I believe the same company planned the pedestrian malls in Burlington, Ithaca, NY and Boulder, CO. Couple this with the success of street closures on Broadway in Manhattan, and I think this Newark-as-pedestrian mall is a good idea. I live in Paulus Hook and I try to go to Newark Ave area for shopping and food as much as possible in order to support local businesses.

As someone who has walked/biked from PH to Newark Ave, I think another issue with downtown is the empty space between both neighborhoods. I usually stick to York and stop in at Tommy 2 Scoops on the way there or back. There isn't much else in between.

The sad part of that statement is Paulus Hook and Newark Ave were linked at one time. Newark Ave extended all the way down to Warren Street (pre 1960s). All the buildings along Newark Ave were later torn down for the construction of Gregory Park Apartments.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
"Zinc"?

Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't know ANYBODY who lives downtown that doesn't eat out in JC restaurants and go out to JC bars.

I'll say this about that: When I first moved to JC I lived in Liberty Towers. I almost never went west of Washington Street or north of Columbus. If I did, I was continuing on out of JC. Many, many people who live/d there are/were the same way.

You can dismiss them as "renters" and not representative of whatever "true downtown" demographic you desire - but these are the people who comprise the bulk of your "affluent" demographic. The fact is that there are a lot of people who live in those 750 apartments. And in Newport. And in 77 Hudson, Portside, Grove Point, Trump, the A, etc. Each of those buildings probably has the same number of residents as four to six blocks of row house JC.

My point in bringing this up is that I don't think its Newport Mall that hurts Newark Ave nearly as much as Manhattan. Buffalo Wild Wings and the like just aren't a big enough draw to change behavior. It needs to be something unique and on a bigger scale then random openings and closings we currently get.

Yes, zinc (like buckaroos, smackers, benjamins...slang for money). I'd raise my eyebrows in similar fashion if I heard you order a "pop" instead of a soda at a diner (you being from one of those flyover states, and all).

Maybe your experiences are different than mine, but I have met a lot of people from both high-rise JC and Brownstone JC that enjoy spending their money at JC establishments. In fact, generally speaking the wealthiest people I know in JC are NOT high-rise renters or owners.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/25 22:25
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Burlington VT, I believe the same company planned the pedestrian malls in Burlington, Ithaca, NY and Boulder, CO. Couple this with the success of street closures on Broadway in Manhattan, and I think this Newark-as-pedestrian mall is a good idea. I live in Paulus Hook and I try to go to Newark Ave area for shopping and food as much as possible in order to support local businesses.

As someone who has walked/biked from PH to Newark Ave, I think another issue with downtown is the empty space between both neighborhoods. I usually stick to York and stop in at Tommy 2 Scoops on the way there or back. There isn't much else in between.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Since we're trading pet peeves, here's something that I hate that YOU do: paint with a broad brush. Do you really think that EVERYBODY who lives downtown sleeps here and that is it?

Yea I know, you've told me in the past. Anytime I've gone to bars on the waterfront the people I meet are usually people that work in the area and just wanna get tipsy or people from other areas of JC. It is very rare that I go to a bar Downtown (with the exception of a few) where the main demographic are mainly downtownians.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
"Zinc"?

Quote:
tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't know ANYBODY who lives downtown that doesn't eat out in JC restaurants and go out to JC bars.

I'll say this about that: When I first moved to JC I lived in Liberty Towers. I almost never went west of Washington Street or north of Columbus. If I did, I was continuing on out of JC. Many, many people who live/d there are/were the same way.

You can dismiss them as "renters" and not representative of whatever "true downtown" demographic you desire - but these are the people who comprise the bulk of your "affluent" demographic. The fact is that there are a lot of people who live in those 750 apartments. And in Newport. And in 77 Hudson, Portside, Grove Point, Trump, the A, etc. Each of those buildings probably has the same number of residents as four to six blocks of row house JC.

My point in bringing this up is that I don't think its Newport Mall that hurts Newark Ave nearly as much as Manhattan. Buffalo Wild Wings and the like just aren't a big enough draw to change behavior. It needs to be something unique and on a bigger scale then random openings and closings we currently get.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
heights is actually absolutely correct - Central Avenue in the Heights looks like the Champs-Elysees compared to Newark Avenue. Thriving retail, as well as other stuff I WISH downtown had, like a fish market, authentic italian delis, etc.

Here's my question, to which I truly don't have an answer - how does retail thrive on Central Ave, yet fails miserably, time and time again, on Newark Ave, which is seemingly surrounded and inhabited by a more affluent demographic, and also a demographic that is less likely to own a car??

Because those "affluent" types ( I hate when you say that) sleep here and drop their kids of at pre-k, and that's it. Do you know how many times I've met some "affluent" D*** on the path and actually wont admit to living in JC, but simply say they live off the path stop "almost in NYC". So if these people wont even admit to living in JC why would they want to take a stroll along Newark ave or Central for that matter and do a little shopping. Just like a previous poster said, Newark ave will never see any high end retail because of its proximity to Newport mall. The best you can hope for is some type of bar strip which then you'll be left with the Hoboken crowd.

Why do you hate when I use the word affluent? (I don't even think I've ever used that word before on this site...). What word would you use? Wealthier? I think affluent is less obnoxious. The fact is that the downtown demographic earns more zinc than the Heights demographic, so I'm confused by the lack of success of retail on Newark Ave. Perhaps even more confusing, is why I see more homeless people on Newark Ave than on Central Ave (at any hour of the day).

Since we're trading pet peeves, here's something that I hate that YOU do: paint with a broad brush. Do you really think that EVERYBODY who lives downtown sleeps here and that is it? I don't know ANYBODY who lives downtown that doesn't eat out in JC restaurants and go out to JC bars. And when there are more restaurants and and bars in a walkable area in JC, those "d-bags" that you apparently are familiar with will probably choose to stay in JC for a night out at least once in a while.

On a side note, has anybody experienced the annoying 'scrolling up" of the text box when you are replying to a post?? It's infuriating.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

spider wrote:
where's the homeless people playing saxaphone?

Once the street is rehabbed, they will hence forth be known as "street performers".

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

icechute wrote:
THIS could and should be Newark Ave.:

burlington, vt.

where's the bj's carts and homeless people playing saxaphone?

That would take at least a week or two after the ribbon cutting. Nice looking street, though.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

burlington, vt.

where's the bj's carts and homeless people playing saxaphone?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned

burlington, vt.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 14:51