Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Quality of Life
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Josiered wrote:
Quality of Life is the question? Forget the parking and the nonsense. How about the car alarms that go off 24/7 in the hood- all night long? How about the music and subwoofers up and down the Avenue all night long? How about the HONDA's "YO" with no mufflers or the motorcylces drag racing all night long? How about the morons getting out of Healy's Tavern at 3 a.m. on a Friday/Saturday singing and screaming til 3:30 a.m. and then getting on their bikes and "reving the engines" all night? Quality of Life?
How about the cops enforcing NOISE nuisance all night long instead of sitting at Dunkin Donuts? If you tried this sh*t in Hoboken your A** would be GRA**! Hoboken cops don't tolerate ghetto animals. That's why this crap doesn't happen there. I see it all day long and I see them enforcing it.

JC cops are mostly worthless. Just like the one yesterday smoking a cigar outside the entrance to the mall by McDonald's at 9am, blowing smoke in everyone's face as they walked by, including myself while pushing my 4 month old in his stroller. I asked, "do you mind?" as I walked by and all I got was a blank stare. Scum.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quality of Life is the question? Forget the parking and the nonsense. How about the car alarms that go off 24/7 in the hood- all night long? How about the music and subwoofers up and down the Avenue all night long? How about the HONDA's "YO" with no mufflers or the motorcylces drag racing all night long? How about the morons getting out of Healy's Tavern at 3 a.m. on a Friday/Saturday singing and screaming til 3:30 a.m. and then getting on their bikes and "reving the engines" all night? Quality of Life?
How about the cops enforcing NOISE nuisance all night long instead of sitting at Dunkin Donuts? If you tried this sh*t in Hoboken your A** would be GRA**! Hoboken cops don't tolerate ghetto animals. That's why this crap doesn't happen there. I see it all day long and I see them enforcing it.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Are there any "No honking" laws on the books in JC? The amount of cars constantly beeping their horns all day long is astonishing. When walking around, I find myself yelling at people. Especially drives me nuts when walking around with my sleeping infant in his stroller.

But I guess the whole car situation in JC is dismal...as is enforcement. If running stop signs isn't enforced, I'll be dead long before beeping laws are enforced.

this is truly the honkingest city I've ever lived in. my favorite is people honking at the ones who have the audacity to stop at stop signs, forcing the honkers behind them to - gasp - come to a stop.

Driving home on Coles Street on Saturday I stopped at the corner of 10th, where there is a Stop sign, when the guy behind me immediately honked. I got to Pavonia and he did it again and then scooted past and made the right onto Pavonia. I then realized it was the same guy who had done this about a month ago. I made the left and parked and he parked up the block across from the Wells Fargo building where he lives. I walked up the street and when he emerged from his BMW SUV I approached him and told him to "Blow his horn out his ass". He scurried away and I told him he was a "F***ing a**hole". As he got to his front door he said "F U" and I said "Go inside 'p***y" which is what he did.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 1:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO there is no real quality of life in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Are there any "No honking" laws on the books in JC? The amount of cars constantly beeping their horns all day long is astonishing. When walking around, I find myself yelling at people. Especially drives me nuts when walking around with my sleeping infant in his stroller.

But I guess the whole car situation in JC is dismal...as is enforcement. If running stop signs isn't enforced, I'll be dead long before beeping laws are enforced.

this is truly the honkingest city I've ever lived in. my favorite is people honking at the ones who have the audacity to stop at stop signs, forcing the honkers behind them to - gasp - come to a stop.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/18 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
jaah37's abuse of the exclamation point!!!

Lol!!!

Posted on: 2011/2/6 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
jaah37's abuse of the exclamation point!!!

Posted on: 2011/2/6 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The list is not in any order and is what always is on discussion on JClist..........however potholes is an excellent inclusion.

'Quality of Life' is subjective, so keep adding your issues - That is what the intitial post was asking.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 7:51
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
1. Poo on sidewalks
2. Dogs off leash and unnecessary barking
3. People abusing disabled parking areas
4. Excessive noise after 10pm in residential areas
5. Motorists running STOP signs
6. Speeding in residential streets
7. We need better and more street lights
8. Littering
9. Kids runnings around causing havoc before / during / after school - leaving school grounds at lunch-time
10. Graffiti / Tagging
11. Underage drinking
12. Taxi service providers (compliance to regulations)
13. Police that display zero empathy with complainants of social issues.
14. Groups and individuals (homeless / drunks / youth)
loitering in parks and especially near playground equipment - At night or when children are at play
15. Cars parked that are not being used, are wrecks and taking up valuable parking spaces.

Just a few things to start the discussion

1 & 2 Is that really your top QOL issue? Dog poo and barking? You're kidding right?
3. Call JCPA - they arrive pretty quick and deal with it.
4 to 8 I agree with.
9. Give kids some alternatives. I see kids hanging around skateboarding in Home Depot's parking lot. FFS - lets give them somewhere to go and something to do.
10. See 9.
11. See 9 & 10.
12. Give them a decent tip you cheapass. I've never had a problem with them.
13. I've not had that problem - the JCPD have always been professional in all my dealings with them.
14. Call the JCPD and see 13.
15. Call JCPA and get them towed.

My peeves:
Sidewalks broken by tree roots. Why are idiots in the City continuing to waste public funds planting trees to destroy sidewalks and peoples foundations??

Potholes. Huge holes in roads that the City ignores.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Fix that fire alarm that has been beeping 24/7 at 513 Jersey Ave (just south of Wonder Bagels) for over a year every time I walk by....

Posted on: 2011/2/6 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be happy if they just pave columbus already.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I'm gonna let my off-leash dog poop on your "emergency" car.

Vigilante, again anonymity has its wonders. Why don't you say that to me in person?

It was a joke. I find these QoL threads funny because the biggest QoL issue that overshadows all is really just enforcement. The apathy of our city officials to any QoL issues is a sad testament to the state of our city. Of course, God forbid people behave responsibly without having to be scolded.

Vigilante, sorry dude. The sarcasm went over my head

Posted on: 2011/2/5 20:31
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Vigilante, again anonymity has its wonders. Why don't you say that to me in person?

It was a joke. I find these QoL threads funny because the biggest QoL issue that overshadows all is really just enforcement. The apathy of our city officials to any QoL issues is a sad testament to the state of our city. Of course, God forbid people behave responsibly without having to be scolded.

Agree 1000%! Lack of enforcement from the JCPD, JCIA and JCPA combined with people who behave irresponsibly/ refuse to do the right thing. I think that overflowing public garbage cans are a symbol of the overall problem. You have people/residents contributing to the prob by taking their household garbage bags and jamming them into the cans causing overflow. Then you have the JCIA that knows the cans are overflowing but don't schedule more pick ups to alleviate the problem. In some cases they just take much needed cans away resulting with more trash in the street. Inspectors at JCIA don't enforce the no dumping laws by staking out the cans and catching violators.
Politicians know trash is a problem but do nothing to address the problem, if anything they authorize cans to be taken off the street instead of addressing the real prob. Police want nothing to do with illegal dumping. Everyone knows these cans are constantly in a state of overflow yet nothing changes!

Posted on: 2011/2/5 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/2/5 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
1. Eliminate lengthy periods for businesses to get CO's and permits.
2. Same as above for residents.
3. Eliminate the corruption of Jersey City Permit Office.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/2/5 17:11
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/2/5 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

I have the second car in case I need to bring my children to the doctor while my wife is at work with our first car, or in case there is an emergency with either of our parents that live in NYC.

That's actually almost as good as Mariano Vega saying he needed the car to go out and "count the homeless".

Icechute, maybe if you ended up driving your mom to the hospital for emergency surgery and then spending months driving back and forth between home, hospital, and various doctors you would understand. But apparently you either are parentless or don't care about your aging parents. And maybe if you were talking to me in person you wouldn't be so rude. Then again anonymity goes a long way for some people. Or maybe if both of you had to rush to the hospital from your jobs because you child fell, became unconscious, and had to be rushed to the hospital.

FAB, maybe you should read. I have a 160 mile commute when I was working and when I go back to work. And no one else car pools to my job. And there is no public transportation to where I work.

My wife used to take the train, until she had to drop the kids off at daycare. You apparently don't have children and don't realize what it is like just walking 8 blocks with children to drop them off with enough time to get to a job in time.

If the only parking made available for residents was restricted to the length of your property facing the street that would be perfect as both my cars are normally parked in front of my property and they don't take up more than the length of my property, but then street sweeping regulations would have to be rescinded as no one could park anywhere else.

Maybe you should realize that the reason there is no parking os because people don't know how to park and don't know and don't care to shovel out there spaces. Do you even know who parks n my street during the day? People that don't live in the neighborhood, have somehow obtained a parking permit, and take the PATH. It amazing how much the parking opens up after 6 PM.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I have the second car in case I need to bring my children to the doctor while my wife is at work with our first car, or in case there is an emergency with either of our parents that live in NYC.

That's actually almost as good as Mariano Vega saying he needed the car to go out and "count the homeless".

Posted on: 2011/2/5 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
ya some lames. for real.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 7:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Let's see I have a second car that hasn't moved because I commute 160 miles a day round trip to work normally. I've decided to spend the last three months at home spending quality time with my children which my job normally doesn't afford. I have the second car in case I need to bring my children to the doctor while my wife is at work with our first car, or in case there is an emergency with either of our parents that live in NYC.

The reason parking is so difficult is because people don't know how to park or shovel out spaces.

I'm not being egocentric as much as you are being ignorant.

And if you'd like to give me the money for a long term parking space, you can write me a check right now.

Therefore every family should be running a second car for those emergency trips to the doctors. Imagine if the only parking made available for residents was restricted to the length of your property facing the street........I'm not ignorant as you are being egocentric ! Ever suggested public transport to your wife or car-pooling as your 'quality of life' impacts other peoples 'quality of life' !

Posted on: 2011/2/5 7:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

carpetbaggertil718 wrote:
I have a solution. Its called the suburbs. Especially if you have children move out as soon as possible. Face reality and admit that the city isn't what it was back in the 70's and 80's. That era of JC being the greatest city in the world to be from is long gone and it's never coming back. Nowhere is completely safe but why increase the likelihood of your wife, husband, or child becoming the victim of a crime? Are you going to be able to face yourself if you had the means to escape to a better life for your children but didn't and now it's too late? Aside from the fact that your QOL is never going to improve, there really is no advantage to raising children in the city. Schools, parks and recreational
opportunities are far superior in smaller towns and it is just rotten to deprive a child of a better, safer, more secure future than they have in the city. The only thing the city is good for is young single people. As they say if you're going to hunt deer go to where the deer live. If you're going to hunt beaver go to where the beaver live. The city is where the beaver live, the burbs are where parents who care about their children live.

The OP requests suggestions for QOL issues that the city may (or may not) take issue. No one asked for your defeatist opinion. The city is not any better or worse than the suburbs. Crimes occur anywhere and everywhere and if you want to lull yourself into a false sense of security that the 'burbs are the best then have at it. The OP asks for suggestions and you offer nothing except escapism and defeatism, so why even bother posting your opinion which wasn't asked or cared for.

Except for the last issue, I think FAB has a good list going.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 2:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
I have a solution. Its called the suburbs. Especially if you have children move out as soon as possible. Face reality and admit that the city isn't what it was back in the 70's and 80's. That era of JC being the greatest city in the world to be from is long gone and it's never coming back. Nowhere is completely safe but why increase the likelihood of your wife, husband, or child becoming the victim of a crime? Are you going to be able to face yourself if you had the means to escape to a better life for your children but didn't and now it's too late? Aside from the fact that your QOL is never going to improve, there really is no advantage to raising children in the city. Schools, parks and recreational
opportunities are far superior in smaller towns and it is just rotten to deprive a child of a better, safer, more secure future than they have in the city. The only thing the city is good for is young single people. As they say if you're going to hunt deer go to where the deer live. If you're going to hunt beaver go to where the beaver live. The city is where the beaver live, the burbs are where parents who care about their children live.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It's your call and you need to ask yourself do I need that second car - Being egocentric isn't a crime, but you have highlighted one of many reasons why parking is so difficult to find downtown.

Let's see I have a second car that hasn't moved because I commute 160 miles a day round trip to work normally. I've decided to spend the last three months at home spending quality time with my children which my job normally doesn't afford. I have the second car in case I need to bring my children to the doctor while my wife is at work with our first car, or in case there is an emergency with either of our parents that live in NYC.

The reason parking is so difficult is because people don't know how to park or shovel out spaces.

I'm not being egocentric as much as you are being ignorant.

And if you'd like to give me the money for a long term parking space, you can write me a check right now.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's your call and you need to ask yourself do I need that second car - Being egocentric isn't a crime, but you have highlighted one of many reasons why parking is so difficult to find downtown.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by 15. Can you elaborate?

Parking is an issue and those that leave cars parking indefinately in public parking places should either get rid of them or have a social conscious and place them in off- street long term parking areas.

What is worse is that some of these cars have not paid their taxes and look totally unsafe to communte in - Bald tires, broken lights etc - Basically they need to be in the boneyard.

You aren't suggesting that I need to put my second car which I have paid my taxes on when I bought, have valid registration and insurance on, have taken good care of, and have not moved since sometime in December be moved elsewhere?

Posted on: 2011/2/5 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by 15. Can you elaborate?

Parking is an issue and those that leave cars parking indefinately in public parking places should either get rid of them or have a social conscious and place them in off- street long term parking areas.

What is worse is that some of these cars have not paid their taxes and look totally unsafe to communte in - Bald tires, broken lights etc - Basically they need to be in the boneyard.

Posted on: 2011/2/4 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
FAB for once I'd have to say I agree with you on 1 through 14. I don't know what you mean by 15. Can you elaborate?

Posted on: 2011/2/4 23:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
1. Poo on sidewalks
2. Dogs off leash and unnecessary barking
3. People abusing disabled parking areas
4. Excessive noise after 10pm in residential areas
5. Motorists running STOP signs
6. Speeding in residential streets
7. We need better and more street lights
8. Littering
9. Kids runnings around causing havoc before / during / after school - leaving school grounds at lunch-time
10. Graffiti / Tagging
11. Underage drinking
12. Taxi service providers (compliance to regulations)
13. Police that display zero empathy with complainants of social issues.
14. Groups and individuals (homeless / drunks / youth)
loitering in parks and especially near playground equipment - At night or when children are at play
15. Cars parked that are not being used, are wrecks and taking up valuable parking spaces.

Just a few things to start the discussion

I have to say that I agree.....

Posted on: 2011/2/4 22:55

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact