Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: clearing a path for pedestrians

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 14:59
Group:
Registered Users
They should, if this city's budget is not enough to cover costs, then this is a way of getting some $$.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Are the owners of the 6th street embankment just absorbing the fines? A few of the sidewalks along the embankment were never shoveled...

You think they get fines? Hahahahahahahaa.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Are the owners of the 6th street embankment just absorbing the fines? A few of the sidewalks along the embankment were never shoveled...

Posted on: 2011/2/3 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you Vigilante. And JerseyCityFranki, you are right the area around Journal Sq and Newark Ave. by the Court House are horrible.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 17:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 15:42
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
" I think the city should be tasked with clearing the snowbanks at every intersection, but a week has come and gone and they are not going to do it. "

I thought I had seen it all until last night - I was driving home on Kennedy Blvd, and I saw this guy in a wheelchair SHOVELING snow out of a crosswalk/ramp area. We are all complaining about how bad it is on foot, imagine what life in JC is like for those poor people confined to wheelchairs/walkers, etc.

Jersey City needs to step it up and take responsibility!!!!! Get the crosswalks/ramps/corners cleared, and enforce the law for business and homeowners who haven't cleared their property.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Here is a link with which you can report unshoveled sidewalks of businesses and residents. It takes about 2 minutes to do. Scroll to near the bottom of the page. I saw an unshoveled home on Marin yesterday that had a summons taped to the front door. It is a Law that owners must shovel walkways even if it's an undeveloped empty lot. Just note the address of any violaters. Very simple.

http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

FYI:

? 296-1.1. - Duties of owners or occupants of residential property; time for removal.

Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a residential building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within eight hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within eight hours after sunrise.

? 296-1.2. - Duties of owners or occupants of commercial property; time for removal.

Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a commercial building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within four hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within four hours after sunrise.

? 296-2. - Snow removal.

After a snowstorm, no person shall shovel, throw or deposit any snow or ice from any sidewalk or gutter into the street after it has been plowed and opened up by city snow removal apparatus and personnel for vehicular traffic. Any person finding it necessary to clear a sidewalk or gutter, after said street has been opened for vehicular traffic, shall bank and pile the snow from the sidewalk within three feet inside the curb.

? 296-3. - Ice removal.

No owner, occupant or person having charge of any building or vacant lot shall permit any ice to remain upon any sidewalk so as to impede pedestrian traffic.

? 296-4. - Injury to pavement; spreading of ashes, sawdust or sand.

In case any snow or ice shall be so hardened or in such condition that it cannot be removed without injury to the pavement, the owner, occupant or person having charge of the building or lot shall cause ashes, sawdust or sand to be spread over same.

? 296-5. - Deposit of harmful substances prohibited; rock salt.

A.
No person shall sprinkle, spread or scatter any substance harmful to the health of the inhabitants or injurious to animals upon any sidewalk covered with snow or ice.

B.
It shall be lawful to use rock salt for the melting of snow upon streets and sidewalks.

? 296-6. - Removal by City within twelve hours of daylight after snowfall; costs to become lien.*

[Amended 2-23-2000 by Ord. No. 00-008]

In addition to the penalties provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, Section 1-25, for failure to comply with this Article within the time specified in Section 296-1, if the snow or ice is not removed within twelve (12) hours of daylight after snowfall, then the snow and ice may be removed by and under the direction of the Director of the Department of Public Works. The expense of removal shall be charged against the abutting property. After the cost of removal, the Director shall file a Certification of Costs with the Governing Body. The Governing Body shall examine the Certification and, if found to be correct, shall cause the cost to be charged against the property. Thereupon, the charge shall become a lien and tax upon the property and be added to and become a part of the taxes next levied and assessed thereon. The lien and tax shall be enforced and collected by the Tax Collector in the same manner as any other taxes, all in accordance with N.J.S.A. 40:65-12.

Editor's note? *  Editor's Note: This ordinance also provided that "The purpose of this amendment is to clarify that a fine may be imposed for violations of ?? 296-1 through 296-5, in addition to the cost of removal under ? 296-6."

Posted on: 2011/2/3 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I?m moving this post over from the silly ?Snow Removal Petition? thread. Like the removal of the snow, which is now solid ice, I fear this post is too late. I haven?t seen the entire city but I can tell you that merchants in the Journal Square area and along Newark all the way downtown get an ?F? grade at clearing snow from their sidewalks. The day after the huge snowfall the merchants shoveled out a yard-wide path along each of their sidewalks but that is NOT enough. A week or so after the snow stopped falling there was NO additional shoveling, the sidewalks are still only just barely navigable for a healthy active person. This is not good enough as there are plenty of mobility challenged people who are held prisoner in their homes since they can?t use the sidewalks.
I think the city should be tasked with clearing the snowbanks at every intersection, but a week has come and gone and they are not going to do it. I?m calling on the business owners to get of their asses and shovel out those intersections, I believe it is their moral responsibility if not a legal one.
Another note about bad behavior from the local merchants: With a sidewalk that is now only a few feet wide, why are you still putting out your sidewalk advertising signs? There is no reason you couldn?t put your dumb sandwich board signs on the vast areas you left unshoveled. but none of you do, preferring instead to block what little clear sidewalk remains.
Another note: I see the very large condos downtown all have well shoveled wide open sidewalks, the best job of sidewalk clearing in the city. all their loading bays and associated parking spots are meticulously clear of snow. But the intersections at their sidewalks are STILL unshoveled and pedestrians still have to limp across snowbanks to get to the crosswalks. Aren?t these the buildings that got sweetheart property tax avoiding incentives? If they paid any property taxes, some of that money would have gone to snow removal resources. Wouldn?t it be nice if these huge buildings with full time maintenance staffs could maybe do the right thing and shovel a path from their meticulously clean sidewalks through their snowbanks into the crosswalks?

Quote:

Chris wrote:
Sad and dangerous that some people have not cleared a path in front of their residences for pedestrians. Is there not a law about this? Is there not a fine they may be penalized with?

Posted on: 2011/2/3 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
this is one of my pet peeves. stop being inconsiderate to your fellow residents, people.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 15:34

clearing a path for pedestrians

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sad and dangerous that some people have not cleared a path in front of their residences for pedestrians. Is there not a law about this? Is there not a fine they may be penalized with?

Posted on: 2011/2/3 15:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017