Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The Blizzard of '10 Awards
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/4 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
I love these people worrying about a guy on vacation - you do know vacations are set months in advance right?

What they're REALLY worried about is the guy is going to ruin their gravy-train. At the very least he's spotlighting the fact that - for some reason - state employees in NJ seem to have hit some sort of "lottery" at the expense of the rest of us.

Ok, let's hear the whines about the "poor children" now. And the selfless "educators"... who happen to drive $60k+ vehicles.

Don't worry about "Where's Chris Christie?" worry about where the states $$ is being flushed!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:18
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Seriously what was Christie going to do if he flew back? Meanwhile he wouldn't have even been able to make it back because the airports were closed and flights were canceled for days!! If you think about it most times we hear about these storms for about 10 damn days till they hit, I didn't hear about this storm till Christmas night, no one was prepared plain and simple and we realy should take a note from NYC and take the snow away rather then piling it up

I agree with you that he probably couldn't have done much of anything different. However, he could have made a stronger appearance about trying to do something about the storm. Many people complain that they didn't hear much from the governor's office (or acting governor for that matter). Remember, in politics sometimes it's just about the proper image. He didn't show any good leadership publicly. He says he was on the phone constantly making sure things were getting done, but if the public doesn't see it, it didn't happen.

It also didn't help that the governor and lt. governor Guadagno were both away at the same time. Someone needs to look at scheduling a little more closely.

As for the storm, I knew that there was a storm coming the week before. Originally, the storm was supposed to hit Friday night into Saturday (Christmas) morning. As the week progressed, the storm's arrival was pushed further back. When I went to bed Christmas Eve, all the predictions were calling for a few inches. By Christmas morning, all the predictions were calling for a major blizzard.

And NYC also has the snow melter trucks. Taking the snow away requires two things - a fleet of vehicles and operators to take the snow. A lot of municipalities do this, but contract out the work. I read somewhere (and I can't find which paper it was in) that Jersey City can't hire contractors to do this because there isn't any funding for that. Another example of our tax dollars not at work.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 17:41
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously what was Christie going to do if he flew back? Meanwhile he wouldn't have even been able to make it back because the airports were closed and flights were canceled for days!! If you think about it most times we hear about these storms for about 10 damn days till they hit, I didn't hear about this storm till Christmas night, no one was prepared plain and simple and we realy should take a note from NYC and take the snow away rather then piling it up

Posted on: 2011/1/2 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
WHO

CARES

Posted on: 2011/1/2 6:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/christie_accountable/

Where's Chris Christie? Everywhere but solving problems in New Jersey...

Dec 28: Vacationing in Disney World instead of being in New Jersey during the massive blizzard.

Resized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2011/1/2 6:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The sucks to be you award goes to the owner of a Blue Honda Civic parked on Christopher Columbus Drive towards Washington St for not moving your car since Monday only to get plowed around you when the city did curb to curb snow removal, but now you are blocked in by cars on your left and the sidewalk on your right.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
A special Douchie Award to the winner who shoved 2 giant bags of obvious household trash into the can at Pavonia and West Hamilton. It had only been emptied a couple hours earlier and now it's completely over-flowing. Congratulations, you are a special Douche.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
if there's a sewer grate near your house, and you shovel a path to it, you win the award for no huge lake of melted snow soup on your street, and your neighbors will thank you (silently) for it.

especially true if you live on a corner.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:

I have a friend who used to live in Chicago, and putting lawn chairs or garbage cans in a spot you dug out is common. And believe it or not, respected.

Granted, he's probably basing this on what he saw in his neighborhood and isn't speaking for all of Chicago. But wouldn't that be nice?

They do it - and it's respected - in Philly, too.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 3:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
THE ASSHOLE PARKING JOB AWARD

To this dude, who decided to park on the SIDEWALK on the southwest corner of Van Vorst Park.

Resized Image

When the parking is desperate, the desperate get parking?

Posted on: 2010/12/31 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
To the jerk who beeped at me at the Target parking lot: You stink! Sorry that I wasn't walking fast enough in the slush and was not walking on the 4 foot snow piles to get out of your way in your SUV.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
SHAME ON YOU to St. Peter's College parking lot on the corner of Montgomery and Tuers. They manage to shovel their lot, but fail (once again) to shovel or make any passageway at all on the sidewalk along Montgomery St. or Tuers Avneue side of their lot.

Also on Tuers Avenue (between Academy St. and Vroom St.) to whomever left the whopping 4 foot pile of snow, which covers the entire sidewalk, next to the private parking lot with the black electronic gated fence. I don't know who is responsible, the lot owner or the house next to it, but they do this every time it snows heavily.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coolfrood wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Brass Pair of Chips Award: To the A-hole on Montgomery near the Seventh Day Adventists Church who dug out a spot and then posted a cardboard sign reading, "I shoveled this spot, Don't park here." Of course, I parked there while running errands.

Runner up: The other jerk on York and Barrow who put a lawn chair and a bag of garbage on an open space to reserve a spot.

Unless one has a Handicap parking spot, there's no "reserved parking spots." I lost a pristine spot that I cleaned in front of my home and simply moved on to the next.

The biggest jerks are the ones who take two spots.

I have to respectfully disagree. If someone spent hours digging their car out (like you did as well), don't you think they deserve to save their spot for a couple of hours while they are running around? I spent 3 hours getting my car out, but I knew I'd be gone for the whole day so there was no chance of me saving the spot, but I would want to hold my spot if it were only a couple of hours.

I certainly do understand your frustration.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 15:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Brass Pair of Chips Award: To the A-hole on Montgomery near the Seventh Day Adventists Church who dug out a spot and then posted a cardboard sign reading, "I shoveled this spot, Don't park here." Of course, I parked there while running errands.

Runner up: The other jerk on York and Barrow who put a lawn chair and a bag of garbage on an open space to reserve a spot.

Unless one has a Handicap parking spot, there's no "reserved parking spots." I lost a pristine spot that I cleaned in front of my home and simply moved on to the next.

I have to respectfully disagree. If someone spent hours digging their car out (like you did as well), don't you think they deserve to save their spot for a couple of hours while they are running around? I spent 3 hours getting my car out, but I knew I'd be gone for the whole day so there was no chance of me saving the spot, but I would want to hold my spot if it were only a couple of hours.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
My favorite Darwin Award wannabees is the mothers who push their babies strollers daringly into the street against the light with clearly oncoming traffic. Are they just needing a little adrenaline thrill, or are they feeling postpartum depression? Surely just getting where they're going can't be so important that they risk their child's life on whether I'm not distracted tuning the radio or checking out some female type scenery, since I know I have the green light.

Baby strolller moms are simply about your insurance and their (sense of) entitlement.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 5:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I'll second that last post. For every jackass who has merited one of the preceding awards, there are so many people who have been responsible and cleared their sidewalks. Yeah, it's their duty, but I still appreciate it. And I was floored by how helpful my neighbors were when I was digging out my snow-encased car.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Snow is stressful. Every year I get umpteen feet of snow piled up by plows in my driveway. The past couple of years I have waved the City plows down and they have cleared it for me. When I shovel snow from my sidewalk, I take the extra minute to clear a shovel's width of snow from both my neighbor's sidewalk My neighbors regularly do the same for me as well as sharing salt. I saw most of my neighbors help dig each others cars out of the snow.

Be nice to your neighbors and the folks plowing the streets in this weather. The sidewalks on our block are almost always free of snow because of neighbors helping each other out.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to give an award to the person who pulled up behind me while I was unloading pieces of a large ikea book case into my hallway. I got back in the car, drove around the block to continue and they came behind me again as if there were going to be magical parking spots emptying out. Common sense people, there's nowhere to park. It took 5 trips around the block to get everything inside and then another hour to find a parking spot.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome Neighbor Award to Martin, the owner of the deli at 1st and Erie, who knew I was out of town and shoveled my sidewalk and stoop.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 0:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:

I have a friend who used to live in Chicago, and putting lawn chairs or garbage cans in a spot you dug out is common. And believe it or not, respected.

Granted, he's probably basing this on what he saw in his neighborhood and isn't speaking for all of Chicago. But wouldn't that be nice?

Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:

They must be from Boston. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/us/29boston.html?ref=us

Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I'm not addressing people like you. I am talking about the posted photo which shows cars parked into the street and blocking traffic because those lazy bastards have to have their precious cars right out front.

Ah ok. n/m.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 16:09
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
This is such a great example of Jersey City at its "finest". "Me, me and me". "I know it snowed but I need to park right in front of my building because I am a fat, lazy American".

I parked both my cars right in front of my building and I am anything but fat and lazy. I shoveled both of my cars out and piled the snow up on the sidewalk and in front or behind the vehicle where possible. I don't understand what parking in front of your own house has to do with being fat and lazy.

I'm not addressing people like you. I am talking about the posted photo which shows cars parked into the street and blocking traffic because those lazy bastards have to have their precious cars right out front.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
This is such a great example of Jersey City at its "finest". "Me, me and me". "I know it snowed but I need to park right in front of my building because I am a fat, lazy American".

I parked both my cars right in front of my building and I am anything but fat and lazy. I shoveled both of my cars out and piled the snow up on the sidewalk and in front or behind the vehicle where possible. I don't understand what parking in front of your own house has to do with being fat and lazy.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pwens wrote:
There are so many candidates on Grove Street I don't know how to choose...I took this photo about 40 minutes ago...almost 2 days after it's stopped snowing
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/29 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
SKILLED SHOVELER OF THE YEAR

the neighbor who told me i was lifting too much snow at a time. "it's going to hurt later!" then handed me his bigger, heavier shovel so i could carry more??

Posted on: 2010/12/29 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I guess they're using that power now ordering people to move their cares off of main streets.

Just another wonderful example of the JC cart before the horse.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:

So, the state or local municipality can indeed restrict the activities of citizens if it is in the interest of public safety. During other snow storms and natural disasters, the state has indeed restricted vehicular traffic to emergency vehicles only. Whether or not this was done during this storm, I don't know. It probably should have if it wasn't.

Yes, they can, but the declaration of emergency alone does not prevent people from driving, for example.

I guess they're using that power now ordering people to move their cares off of main streets.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 4:10
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
To the owner of the (now-vacant) furniture store on the corner of Newark and Erie, the award for - once again - waiting long enough after a snowfall to shovel that the easy-to-remove snow has now become an impermeable sheet of bumpy ice. and for evidently - once again - saying "ah f**k it," and leaving it til Spring.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 4:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017