Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fish With Braids moving to Brooklyn?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

fauxboken wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

I hope they take their ugly graffiti teapot outhouse and various other toilets with them.

FG

the kind of people that would get things in her gallery would enjoy the teapots and toilets. Stuck up prudes (you) obviously don't.

get over yourself. differences in artistic taste do not boil down to prudishness. but, unsuccessful artists often blame the public for being too thick or prudish to understand art, isn't that so? sometimes, the blame is broadened to include "the art world" broadly. that's easier than blaming oneself for his vision or craftsmanship as being simply unmarketable in a particular time and place... or, in general.

in any case, it seems there isn't a market for toilets and firetrap garbage in jersey ciity. because in jc, we're prudes.

agreed. if Uta opened her gallery for the enjoyment of herself and a circle of like-minded friends, then great. if she's trying to run a thriving business, she might want to consider broadening the curb appeal a little.
eh, I think they're cool but whatever. It seems like she does most of her business outside of the storefront anyway so I'm not sure the intention was to make it a thriving storefront.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe Whole Foods could take over her gallery space?

Posted on: 2010/12/30 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fauxboken wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

I hope they take their ugly graffiti teapot outhouse and various other toilets with them.

FG

the kind of people that would get things in her gallery would enjoy the teapots and toilets. Stuck up prudes (you) obviously don't.

get over yourself. differences in artistic taste do not boil down to prudishness. but, unsuccessful artists often blame the public for being too thick or prudish to understand art, isn't that so? sometimes, the blame is broadened to include "the art world" broadly. that's easier than blaming oneself for his vision or craftsmanship as being simply unmarketable in a particular time and place... or, in general.

in any case, it seems there isn't a market for toilets and firetrap garbage in jersey ciity. because in jc, we're prudes.

agreed. if Uta opened her gallery for the enjoyment of herself and a circle of like-minded friends, then great. if she's trying to run a thriving business, she might want to consider broadening the curb appeal a little.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 21:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

FG

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

how open-minded and arty of you.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

I don't think those did anything but to drive folks away from actually entering the shop. IMHO.

I did thing the BP oil spill sign was a hoot even if placed illegally on top of a real street sign.

FG

I think the stuff in her gallery is way better than the teapot toilet collection would suggest, and agree that the disintegrating eyesore on the sidewalk probably discouraged people from taking a closer look inside.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

I don't think those did anything but to drive folks away from actually entering the shop. IMHO.

I did thing the BP oil spill sign was a hoot even if placed illegally on top of a real street sign.

FG

Posted on: 2010/12/29 3:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/21 5:04
From jersey city, nj
Group:
Registered Users
hope this isn't true...only recently got to meet uta and see her cool little gallery space in november. she's creative and courageous and does a lot more than most people could with a small space!

Posted on: 2010/12/28 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
booooo

Posted on: 2010/12/28 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

FG

Posted on: 2010/12/27 22:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard this as well - there's not enough of an arts scene in JC to keep something like this alive. The Creative Grove and associated Arts movements are great but there's just too much bureaucracy to get anything off the ground here.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
there's a fish store/braiding salon in JC?

Aqua's Perfect Braids
next to
Fish With Braids
next to
Lee's Fish House

Posted on: 2010/12/23 14:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
that's good, because Williamsburg (ahem, Bushwick) doesn't have enough boring artists in their 40s

Posted on: 2010/12/23 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
that would be a loss for JC; it would also add yet another vacancy to that block ( along with Lee Fish House, Europa and that hardware store across the street).

Seems to me JC has a problem keeping commercial businesses...

Posted on: 2010/12/23 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
there's a fish store/braiding salon in JC?

Posted on: 2010/12/23 5:03

Fish With Braids moving to Brooklyn?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Say it ain't so, Uta! I heard this from my girlfriend via her father, and I hope it isn't true. I know she spends time selling her wares over in Williamsburg and I hope that better sales over there haven't tempted her to deprive us of one of our most unique artist personalities.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 4:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017