Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Soho's What Goes Around Comes Around’s 10,000 Square-Foot Jersey City Vintage Fashion Warehouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Well ..well.. well! One of the hippest places in JC and it is NOT in Downtown!!!

Funny the piece says it is not really in New Jersey. That section of JC couldn?t be more Jersey a real mixing bowl. Marion/Journal Square. Ha!

Yeah GP it is near Tonnele and Newark Avenues by Indian Square. If you go down Broadway from Tonnele it is the block that has the DD on the corner by PS # 23. It is also one block up from the condo/apt project where they shot a few episodes of Mercy.

Van Wagenen is the block that has the pedestrian bridge over the RR tracks to Newark Avenue by Joey Starrs. (again someone should claim that classic sign and restore it. Mike and Frank would go nuts over it)

A lot of garment places were around that area in those factories. I think they made Brooks Brothers shirts there. That is also where the old Ten Pin Bowling ally was located.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 20:46

Re: Soho's What Goes Around Comes Around’s 10,000 Square-Foot Jersey City Vintage Fashion Warehouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
So that is little India/ India Square -- near Newark Avenue?

Journal square.

They should open a place more like Williamsburg's 'Beacon's Closet' here for us poor folks!

http://www.beaconscloset.com/

Posted on: 2010/11/17 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
It didn't take much to find their JC address, listed on their website under the "Contact" section at the bottom:

155 Van Wagenen Ave, 4th Floor, Jersey City, NJ 07306

It's apparently appointment-only, though.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 18:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Also- I've read about this place in a few fashion blogs. It seems that they are bringing in bloggers to drum up publicity yet it's exclusive so no one ever gives an address. What's the point of writing about it then?

From the article, I thought that the warehouse was not open to the public and this was simply an advertisement for their overpriced store in Soho.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 18:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

mmmcoffee wrote:
Is this place open to the public? I've heard of it before but I always got the impression it was exclusive to people in the film/fashion industry and not just a place you can walk into.

What the hell does "technically in New Jersey but not really" mean?

It means the Manhattan plague as invaded JC even more. "Technically in NJ but not" what a stupid comment, please do NJ a favor and go back to SoHo or wherever. I bet they are also the type of person that thinks Staten Island and the Bronx are not part of NYC.

That's how I took it. God forbid anyone credit NJ with producing anything cool.

Also- I've read about this place in a few fashion blogs. It seems that they are bringing in bloggers to drum up publicity yet it's exclusive so no one ever gives an address. What's the point of writing about it then?

Posted on: 2010/11/17 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
My first thought was "I'd love to get into that warehouse. Why haven't I been to their store in Soho?" then looked at their website and found out why.

$148 for a Motley Crue T-shirt?
http://www.shopwgaca.com/75-148mc01.html

$200 for a Rod Stweart tank?
http://www.shopwgaca.com/shteec-1426.html

As far as I am concerned, they can keep their crap AND go back to NYC.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Com'on they're not -- they're suburban!

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
... I bet they are also the type of person that thinks Staten Island and the Bronx are not part of NYC.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mmmcoffee wrote:
Is this place open to the public? I've heard of it before but I always got the impression it was exclusive to people in the film/fashion industry and not just a place you can walk into.

It means the Manhattan plague as invaded JC even more. "Technically in NJ but not" what a stupid comment, please do NJ a favor and go back to SoHo or wherever. I bet they are also the type of person that thinks Staten Island and the Bronx are not part of NYC.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
[quote]
located about ten minutes outside of Manhattan in Jersey City. (Which is technically in New Jersey, but not really.)[quote]
What are they trying to imply is it in N.J. or not ?? Also can the used vintage clothing breed bed bugs? I'm scared to even go into thrift stores.

No, but I definitely think you can get bed bugs from the Western Slope.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
I think they're trying to say that Jersey City is really cool.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/11/17 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
located about ten minutes outside of Manhattan in Jersey City. (Which is technically in New Jersey, but not really.)[quote]
What are they trying to imply is it in N.J. or not ?? Also can the used vintage clothing breed bed bugs? I'm scared to even go into thrift stores.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 5:48

Soho's What Goes Around Comes Around’s 10,000 Square-Foot Jersey City Vintage Fashion Warehouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized ImageResized ImageResized Image

http://www.whatgoesaroundnyc.com

Behind The Scenes At What Goes Around Comes Around?s 10,000 Square-Foot Warehouse

By ELIZABETH JAIME about 9 hours ago

I was introduced to What Goes Around Comes Around by my best friend who moved to the city a year before I did. She said, ?We need to go in there, it?s like vintage heaven.? And that it was. A place where everything vintage comes to die, or rather, live on.

Enchanted by all the amazing vintage pieces, WGACA soon came to be a regular stop in my weekend ?want-to-buy-everything? trips to Soho. But I always wondered, ?where does all of this vintage even come from? And how does this even work?? After hearing about Jane Aldridge?s trip to the WGACA warehouse, I knew where to find my answers.

So, yesterday, I made a trip out to their giant 10,000 square-foot warehouse located about ten minutes outside of Manhattan in Jersey City. (Which is technically in New Jersey, but not really.) Becka Diamond came too, since she?s hosting at event at the store this Thursday. ?I?ve been surrounded by vintage all my life. I, like, remember eating lollipops at auctions with my mom when I was young,? said Becka as we headed over. ?Is this your first time here?? she asked me. ?You?re going to die. The first time I came here I was like in shock. There?s just so much amazing stuff.?

Gerard Maione and Seth Weisser, WGACA?s owners, store a vintage archive amassed over 17 years in this giant warehouse, which is more like an enormous loft where you want to spend hours playing dress-up. ?Basically, we visit different vintage collections around the world looking for specific things. After so many years doing this, you get to know the collectors and they become kind of like your friends. So you know where to go to find exactly what you need,? Gerard told me.

Housing women?s, men?s, and children?s clothing, the warehouse is sectioned off by different eras. I was instantly drawn to the corner in the back?the 1970s section. ?This is what we consider to be our Biba section,? said Gerard. ?You know, lots of ?70s stuff and even earlier decades.? There was, as you can imagine, a lot of flowy, silky dresses, amazing printed headscarves, and the most beautifully preserved furs. However, the stand-out piece for me was a pair of black suede Vivienne Westwood platforms that were so high they must require a PhD in balance.

Rummaging rack to rack, I slowly transitioned into the Victorian section, which was appropriately mixed with old English rock ?n roll and costume pieces. With a round table full of patches, old bottles of whiskey, and Union flags in the center, this area seemed to be Gerard?s favorite. ?Yeah, I?m really into that English rock and roll style myself so this is definitely one my favorite areas.? Every piece in this section seemed almost too delicate to touch. However, it was amazing how good the quality of the pieces were, and how well they were preserved.

?And this is our Mad Men section,? Gerard told me as I walked into what I dubbed as my favorite section. I was in amazement at all the Betty Draper-esque dresses and the most gorgeous full knee-length New Look-era skirts. My favorite item was a no-name one-piece swimsuit fashioned like a corset. I considered buying it and taking it home with me.

Adjacent to the Mad Men section was probably the cutest corner. The children?s clothing area consisted of little vintage staples. There were mini-sized Keds and tiny flannels. I asked where he got all the children clothes from and he responded, ?A lot of the clothing in this area was bought from a woman, who is actually now a close friend, that collected children?s clothing from the 19th century.? After looking through the kids clothing, I imagined the perfect outfit for my non-existing child.

I moved on to the military section. However, it?s more than just a military section. ?I like to think of this as our nomad style area,? Gerard said. And that it was. Of course there were military green jackets but they successfully infused what I thought of as hunting style clothing. The color palette in this section stuck to earthy tones such as dark greens, and variations of browns.

As my time at the WGACA warehouse came to an end, I just had to ask Gerard what his favorite piece in the warehouse was. He walked around for a few minutes, then disappeared. Soon I found him sifting through the English rock/Victorian area. He pulled out an almost one-hundred-year-old English military jacket that was fit for a general. ?It?s like 1860s and it?s this pristine!? he said. ?We had one that was just a little bit longer that Lenny Kravitz purchased,? he told me. ?And Yoko was looking at buying one too.?

What Goes Around Comes Around isn?t just about collecting vintage and selling it to the public. The owners, Gerard and Seth, really have made a business out of their passion. Spending a few hours in the warehouse was inspiring and fun. I?d drive out to Jersey City any day to just spend a few more moments rummaging through everything.

Click through the gallery to see some of the amazing things in the warehouse.

http://fashionista.com/2010/11/behind ... 00-square-foot-warehouse/

Posted on: 2010/11/17 5:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017