Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Woman robbed at knifepoint on Erie St
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
At the risk of Stephen telling me I'm going off topic, I'm going to chime in to say that I saw the couple in question on Erie a few nights ago. They were heading from 2nd Street toward Hamilton Park. He was pushing a BJ's cart with a residential trash can in it (stolen?) and she was screaming and cursing at the top of her lungs. Both were walking/staggering in the street and getting in the way of traffic. I've been mugged before and am always on my guard and the obviously disturbed mental state of this pair prompted me to give them a wide berth. On a lighter note it was like a "best of JC list" with the BJs cart + trash can, etc.

I do hope the cops catch this pair. This happened less than a block from my house. My sympathy for the victim. I'm sure it was traumatic.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
I'd be a little surprised if it was those two 'near-homeless' couple. They are always really high/drunk and hobble around jersey city with a shopping cart, looking like they will fall over any second. That said, there's no telling what people will do to feed their habits.

that's the first thing i thought and then i saw you beat me to it. those people are so annoying. i often see them harassing people on the bench outside helen's. what other male/female combo in this area would pull a knife on someone?

Uh... maybe they weren't from the area and came to downtown where working folks are getting home with wallets in their purses. Just a thought.

ok maybe there is a tag team hispanic couple that travels to downtown jersey city during rush hour to mug people every week, but i would rather point the finger at the local scumbags who are a nuisance anyway.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 13:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I am very concerned and alarmed by this mugging. Apparently there was one on Mercer this week, too.

While the police might be able to do more, the safety of our streets is up to us. There is a captain's meeting at Middle School 4 at 7:00pm on October 26. We need to show up in force.

We also need to form "block watches." Information on creating a block watch will be available at the captain's meeting.

Of the 26 posts to this topic, about 90% are useless "me too" posts about our not-so-varried experiences with two drunks. I invite you all to stay on topic. If you want to talk about our (dis)affection for the drunks, I invite you to start a new topic.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 3:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/13 23:43
Group:
Registered Users
I heard the victim describe the woman as hispanic when she was on the phone to the police, but I didn't catch her description of the man.

Also, despite the block on Erie being well lit between 3rd and 4th, this happened right underneath a street lamp, right in front of the old school/condo building. The brightest, best lit possible spot in the block. During the rash of breakins last winter, there were several on this block, during broad daylight or in the early evening right underneath the streetlights. Lighting really has very little to do with deterring crime on Erie St.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Is the "near-homeless" couple the same one that hangs out a lot on Grove Street as well? They usually panhandle across the street from each other - one takes a spot outside of Lee's Grocery and the other is right in front of A-1 Deli. She's short and heavyset, he's kind of tall and usually wears a hat. They're annoying but have never struck me as particularly dangerous.

That's not them. I live on Wayne and see this train-wreck drunk drug addict couple basically everyday.

The guy is prob 6'3-6'4 shaved bald, Hispanic who now walks with a limp. He didn't have that limp a few years ago but I started noticing it about a year and a half ago. In the summer he wears a long white T most of the time and baggy jeans.

The girl is prob 5'3-5'4 with muffin tops spilling out her shorts and tank top. I noticed the tank top because her arms are usually covered in bruises. I've seen her numerous times with black eyes. She is usually the more f'd up one and has a hard time stringing a sentence together.

Don't ever walk by them if you are smoking a cigarette because they will definitely ask you for one, even if they are currently smoking one.

I've seen them screaming at each other in the middle of Jersey Ave, passed out drunk on Wayne just west of Jersey, on Newark screaming and calling out the manager of Sawadee in front of a ton of customers, and just walking all over downtown causing all types of drunken drugged up mischief.

I'm interested in hearing more of their back story if any oldtimers know more about them.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

spider wrote:
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
I'd be a little surprised if it was those two 'near-homeless' couple. They are always really high/drunk and hobble around jersey city with a shopping cart, looking like they will fall over any second. That said, there's no telling what people will do to feed their habits.

that's the first thing i thought and then i saw you beat me to it. those people are so annoying. i often see them harassing people on the bench outside helen's. what other male/female combo in this area would pull a knife on someone?

Uh... maybe they weren't from the area and came to downtown where working folks are getting home with wallets in their purses. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
On a somewhat related topic, does anyone else find that the street lighting in JC is totally insufficient? The problem I find is that the neghborhood is full of short trees that block most of the light given off by the lamps. It makes it difficult to spot something or someone.

The city pays one bill whether the lights are working or not so it would behoove those that care to report any outages with the street lamp strap number to either the city or PSE&G. If you want more or brighter lights it may cost more.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

jaypee wrote:
She said her attackers were a man and a woman, the woman was fairly short, both wearing jeans

Were they black, white or hispanic? Fat or thin? What color hair?

Don't you know it's discriminatory and inflammatory to identify criminals by any characteristics other than their clothes, and even that is risky? The vertically challenged will be posting soon about the above demeaning description.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
they're usually on newark, jersey, and columbus when i see them, which is almost everyday now. i havent seen him wearing a hat though.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is the "near-homeless" couple the same one that hangs out a lot on Grove Street as well? They usually panhandle across the street from each other - one takes a spot outside of Lee's Grocery and the other is right in front of A-1 Deli. She's short and heavyset, he's kind of tall and usually wears a hat. They're annoying but have never struck me as particularly dangerous.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 17:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Much of the crime in the area (car break-ins) has actually been on the block between 2nd and 3rd. And what is on both sides of the block there? CHURCHESuntil caught (like the car breakins last year).

The east side of Erie between 2nd and 3rd has strip of broken windshield glass the runs almost the entire length of the block. You would think the cops would notice this.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm used to them and I'm still intimidated.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/28 0:58
Group:
Registered Users
That couple, we like to call the The Glamour Couple, were outside Palace Drugs yesterday with the police around them. The female had clearly been punched in the face and was bleeding a lot from the mouth. The police must be sick of their antics. All I heard the cop say as I passed was to the woman "stop lying". Haven't they got somewhere better to be? These people make Newark Avenue very intimidating, especially for non-JC folk who are not used to these 'characters'.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
On a somewhat related topic, does anyone else find that the street lighting in JC is totally insufficient? The problem I find is that the neghborhood is full of short trees that block most of the light given off by the lamps. It makes it difficult to spot something or someone.

Too many trees? I don't think so. That block of Erie is actually fairly well lit by the school-turned-condo on the east side of the street. Much of the crime in the area (car break-ins) has actually been on the block between 2nd and 3rd. And what is on both sides of the block there? CHURCHES.

I'm not saying churches cause crime, but at night they are essentially just abandoned buildings--and most of them take up close to a full block without much lighting. Crimes are a lot more likely to occur in front of an empty church than outside a residential building where someone is home and can act as a witness.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of weeks ago there was that event in VVP for kids. I saw the couple staggering from that direction, with their faces painted to look like cats, holding balloons shaped like flowers. lol
it really made me chuckle.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
he asked me for a smoke one time, i told him the one i had was my last one and he mumbled something about white people. i would have been willing to give him one next time if he didnt disrespect me.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I saw him with a makeshift sharp knifelike object fending off another drunk bum about four weeks ago. I recall thinking pedestrians in the middle of this little 'tiff' could get hurt.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Those two are scum. He harassed my girlfriend when I was inside 24/7 and I came out to him literally yelling at her to let him "borrow" a cigarette. Not really sure how you borrow a cigarette. And she was sitting on the bench nodding off with a broken bottle (bar fight style) in one hand.

Needless to say, I was happy when they removed that bench from in front of that store.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
Taco and his gf wouldnt do that.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaypee wrote:
She said her attackers were a man and a woman, the woman was fairly short, both wearing jeans

Were they black, white or hispanic? Fat or thin? What color hair?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 16:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
A man and woman, and the woman was rather short? Although that isn't much to go on, I wonder if it could be that homeless or near homeless couple that hangs out on Newark all the time, the short beat up woman and the taller guy she always seems to be with while they drink all day on the benches or in front of the vacant building on Barrow and Newark and curse out the cops who drive by and do nothing.

I highly doubt it. They used to live on my block, and neither one of them can get out of their own way, let alone "get away."

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
A man and woman, and the woman was rather short? Although that isn't much to go on, I wonder if it could be that homeless or near homeless couple that hangs out on Newark all the time, the short beat up woman and the taller guy she always seems to be with while they drink all day on the benches or in front of the vacant building on Barrow and Newark and curse out the cops who drive by and do nothing.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
This is what, 2 blocks from the police station?

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dixonshills wrote:
I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a man and woman wearing jeans.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a man and woman wearing jeans.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:43

Woman robbed at knifepoint on Erie St

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/13 23:43
Group:
Registered Users
At around 8:20 last night, a woman was robbed at knifepoint on Erie Street, right under a streetlamp, between 3rd and 4th (it happened closer to the corner of 4th) on the East side of the street. Thankfully she was unharmed, but the assailants took her bag. She said her attackers were a man and a woman, the woman was fairly short, both wearing jeans, and they took off down 3rd towards Manila. This could be the same perp as this other incident. Please keep an eye out, as these crimes usually run in patterns, and the perps usually prey on the same area until caught (like the car breakins last year).

Posted on: 2010/10/20 14:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017