Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Clothing Donation Drop Box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
There are also three donation drop boxes in back of Modells, in the small empty lot facing Target.

Last weekend I saw a pair of legs dangling out of the back of one of those donation bins. Presumably those legs belonged to someone who was rummaging through the bin and taking stuff. I took a picture because it amused me. Maybe I'll post on here if I feel motivated enough to set up a Photobucket account. Question about this to anyone who feels like answering - while the person rummaging through the bin may have needed what he was taking, I don't think the people who set these bins up want the items in them distributed this way. Is this worth calling the police about, or do they have better things to do? Or will the police take forever to show up and the guy will be gone by then anyway?

Posted on: 2015/2/15 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There's a Goodwill at Journal Square.

Goodwill retail store
Jersey City Store
(Store & Attended Donation Center)
2815 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07306
201-946-6735

Monday-Wednesday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Thursday-Saturday 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m.-8 p.m.

Giving to Goodwill benefits you as well as our clients. Since Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, your donations are tax-deductible. Drop items off at any of our retail stores or attended donation centers and ask for a tax receipt.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know the drop off donation hours for the Salvation Army? I tried calling them but no one ever answers. I am hoping that they are open on Sunday........

Posted on: 2015/2/15 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
The back parking lot at The Salvation Army, off 15th St.

Can anyone confirm that donations can just be brought to this lot behind the Salvation Army? I've seen the lot but never had the impression that there was a drop-off area back there. TIA!

Yes, I can confirm that the drive in lot is the new drop off area for the Salvation Army location. It is actually a loading dock. One of their workers will come out and help you unload the items. They are super friendly and helpful. In fact, often times they will tell you to just back it up to the loading dock receiving platform and they will empty out your trunk for you.

Fantastic! Seems like the best option!

Posted on: 2014/9/2 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Can anyone confirm that donations can just be brought to this lot behind the Salvation Army? I've seen the lot but never had the impression that there was a drop-off area back there. TIA!

Yes, I can confirm that the drive in lot is the new drop off area for the Salvation Army location. It is actually a loading dock. One of their workers will come out and help you unload the items. They are super friendly and helpful. In fact, often times they will tell you to just back it up to the loading dock receiving platform and they will empty out your trunk for you.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/1 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Call the RRC or they will become drug drop boxes. They were removed within a day or two after calling. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/7/24 18:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/24 18:28
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Just to update this:

There's still a bunch of donation boxes at the front of the Best Buy parking lot, near the hess station. Checked today. Also some at the back, but far fewer.

They had some LLC on the box, but i didn't bother to note the name.

Posted on: 2014/7/24 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Drop boxes have popped up in the Heights. Just placed wherever I guess whoever placed them wanted to. These boxes seem to be a scam to me. They are cheaply made of pressed wood & have no identification on them as to what organization they represent. Who does one call to have these eyesores removed? One is placed on the sidewalk next to a business's dumpsters. I am not putting down or denying the legitimate but to take advantage of the good people for your own purposes should not be tolerated.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
There is a donation box behind St. Lucy's Shelter and there was one next to Best Buy.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 16:04
Group:
Registered Users
We're moving this weekend and have a few bags of clothes we'd like to donate. Since the last post here is (exactly) a year old, any updates or confirmations of clothing donation bins in the downtown area? We used to bring them to the ones by the Bed Bath\Shoprite but they're gone now. Thanks

Posted on: 2014/1/3 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
There's one right next to Best Buy, in the parking lot on the west side of the building (behind the Hess station).

Posted on: 2013/1/4 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I walked a big loop around downtown a week ago - none of the ones I've used before are there anymore, but I didn't check by Pathmark. Ended up going all the way up to the Salvation Army store at Erie and 14th.

Quote:

formerlyPhilly wrote:
Any updates about drop-off bins or related places to donate clothing and household goods? TIA!

Posted on: 2013/1/4 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
The ones by Pathmark, just before you turn into the parking lot from the Kellogg St side are in full effect.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 23:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/8 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates about drop-off bins or related places to donate clothing and household goods? TIA!

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:49

Re: Clothing Drop off Containers!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
There are usually people waiting by the Shop Rite lot boxes. I don't know who they are but I figure if they're waiting there all day for used clothing, they probably need it. And if they're going through the trouble of reselling, I appreciate their entrepreneurial spirit.

Last week the boxes were not there but someone was still waiting there to collect items so I gave them my bag on my way to the grocery store.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 22:48

Re: Clothing Drop off Containers!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaydim wrote:

I was amazed last night as every single clothing drop off container was removed from the Metro Plaza Shopping Mall! Does anyone know if they were damaged in the storm? Also does anyone know of any additional containers in the area? Thanks for your help!

The one by the firehouse on Marin is gone too! I'm walking all over town with a huge bag of clothes and no place to drop them off. Guess I'll try to hit Salvation Army or Goodwill sometime when they're open.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
** cross-posting**

JC Division of Cultural Affairs, Director Maryanne Kelleher has been in contact with local shelters and this is this most updated list posted on the Facebook Page. Updated 11/15

HELLO AMAZING VOLUNTEERS!!

11/15 ? 1:20AM ? UPDATES TO LIST OF NON-PROFITS STILL IN NEED POST-SANDY

*NEW NON-PROFIT ADDED ? MOUNT SINAI GOSPEL CHURCH ALSO COLLECTING ? ACCEPTING NON-PERISHABLES & CLOTHING
*UPDATE ALSO TO FOUNTAIN OF SALVATION OF CHURCH ? NEEDS HAVE CHANGED

Dear Friend of Jersey City,

On behalf of Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, the Jersey City Municipal Council, the Mayor's Action Bureau, the Office of Emergency Management, Department of Health & Human Services, Division of Cultural Affairs and the good people of Jersey City, thank you for your friendship and generosity in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy! We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of support by not only local residents, but various individuals and companies from far and wide.

As Jersey City focuses on restoring all government functions, we are providing this list of local charities in need of your generosity to assist residents recovering from the storm. We are hopeful that this comprehensive list will assist generous donors and non-profits in finding one another - connecting donations to specific needs.

NON-PROFITS & ORGAZATIONS IN NEED:

FINANCIAL DONATIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO:

National: The American Red Cross at
www.redcross.org/Hurricane_Aid

OR

Local: The United Way of Hudson County at 857 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306
www.unitedwayhudson.org/donate.php

You can also text UWHC to 52000 to make a $10 donation to the United Way of HC

THE BELOW CHARITIES HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY HELPFUL DURING OUR STATE OF EMERGENCY AND MAY NEED SUPPLIES REPLENISHED OR VOLUNTEERS.

****WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE CALL BEFORE MAKING DELIVERIES, AS STORAGE SPACE IS LIMITED AT EACH:****

HOPE CENTER
Contact Name: Leigh Piatt-Gonzalez (201) 677-8130
TWO LOCATIONS:
43 Charles Street, Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm
110 Cambridge Avenue, Sunday, 9am to 7pm
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Baby Food, Formula, Baby Wipes, Diapers & Crackers
New baby pajamas, Baby food, Toilet Tissue, Canned milk, Parmalat, Canned meat
Crackers, Non-perishable food in general, Clothing Detergent (for people whose clothes were damaged/flooded), Garbage bags

CITYLINE CHURCH
Contact Name: Paula Rodriguez (201) 575-5944
1510 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ
Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm, Sund ays 8am to 4pm
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Water, Laundry Deter & Non Perishable Foods

FOUNTAIN OF SALVATION CHURCH
Contact Name: Lipe Fernandez (201) 926-4224
Sundays 9am to 12:30pm
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Water, Non-Perishable Food Items For Upcoming Community Thanksgiving Dinner on Tuesday, Nov 20th

ST. LUCY'S HOMELESS SHELTER
Contact Name: Tom Johnson or Joe Uliki (201) 656-7201
24 hour facility
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Towels, Cleaning Supplies, Toiletries (shampoo,deodorant, razor blades, etc), 8.5" x 11" printer Paper, Paper Towels, Toilet Paper and Razors/Razor Blades
Financial Donations also appreciated.

BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF HUDSON COUNTY
Contact Name: Wycliffe Daniels (201) 333-4100 ex 303
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Children's Art Supplies, Backpacks, School Supplies (paper/pens/crayons/calculater), Toy/Games for kids ages 6 & up, Sports Supplies like basketballs, footballs, soccer balls. Financial Donations also appreciated.

FRIENDS OF THE LIFERS FOOD PANTRY
Contact Name: Annette Joyner (201)898-6196
HOURS: Open Mon through Fri ? 8am-4pm
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Non-Perishable Food like canned vegetables & fruits, tuna, chicken, Boxed Pasta & Rice, Cereal Bars, Baby Formula, Baby Formula, Cereals, Water & Juice Boxes

MAYORS ACTION BUREAU TOY DRIVE
Contact Name: Director Judi Reilly (201) 547-4597 or (201) 547-4900
HOURS: Mon through Fri, 9am ? 5pm
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Each year the City of Jersey City Mayor?s Action Bureau conducts a holiday toy drive. In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the need is expected to increase exponentially in Jersey City. The Mayor?s Action Bureau begins collection of NEW toys Monday, November 26th. If you would like to donate new toys, please contact the Mayor?s Action Bureau before delivery due to storage constraints. ****REGISTRATION for those in need, will be announced in the coming weeks.****

JERSEY CITY SANDY RECOVERY
Contact Info: (201) 589-1716
LOCATION: Currently Stationed at the Barrow Mansion, 83 Wayne St, JC, NJ, 07302
HOURS: **Please call before making donations, due to storage constraints.**
Description: An all-volunteer grassroots organization, which formed locally in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The group has delivered basic supplies - food, water, toiletries - to hundreds of households in Jersey City. They collected food and created a gift registry on Amazon and received over 400 packages to date. JC Sandy Recovery has made partnerships with Jersey City government, FEMA, Salvation Army & Habitat for Humanity. Corporate benefactors included Goldman Sachs, BJs and Conde Nast Publications.
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Milk, bread, rice, canned goods, shampoo, hard fruits (apples, pears, etc), flashlights, batteries & blankets.
Find Jersey City Sandy Recovery on Facebook at http://jcnjrecovery.org/

MOUNT SINAI GOSPEL CHURCH
LOCATION: 27-34 Prescott Street, JC, NJ 07304 (off the Communipaw Ave. Junction)
Hours Accepting Donations: Open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week
SPECIAL NEEDS IDENTIFIED: Food, Clothing, Children?s supplies, etc.
Every third Tuesday of the Month, Mount Sinai provides meals and provisions to 1,000 people in need.

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR GENEROSITY!!
THE OUTPOURING OF SUPPORT TO JERSEY CITY HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS!!

*Please*Please*Please* Call before delivering supplies to local charities. While your extreme generosity is appreciated, our local groups have storage limitations.*

The contents of this message contain the immediate needs that still remain and have been identified. If any other urgent needs come to our attention, we shall update our Official Jersey City Sandy Relief Volunteers Facebook Page.

The City of Jersey City is well on its way to full restoration. That would not have occurred without your help and generosity! We are so proud of the citizens of Jersey City for their compassion, patience and acts of kindness towards one another to rebuild after this crisis. The partnerships that have developed in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy are amazing and have only strengthened the resolve and resilience of our community.

If you or your organization has a unique offer or question, please contact the Jersey City Office of Emergency Management at 201-547-5685.

Please stay tuned to our Official JC Hurricane Sandy Relief Volunteer Page for any updates.
http://www.facebook.com/JerseyCitySandyReliefVolunteers

Thank you again for helping the people of Jersey City restore & rebuild in the wake of Hurricane Sandy!

Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy
The Jersey City Municipal Council
The JC Office of Emergency Management, Director Greg Kierce
The Mayor's Action Bureau, Director Judi Reilly
JC Dept. of Health & Human Services, Director Harry Melendez
JC Division of Cultural Affairs, Director Maryanne Kelleher

Posted on: 2012/11/16 12:01

Clothing Drop off Containers!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 1:19
Group:
Registered Users

I was amazed last night as every single clothing drop off container was removed from the Metro Plaza Shopping Mall! Does anyone know if they were damaged in the storm? Also does anyone know of any additional containers in the area? Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2012/11/16 6:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/5 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the drop off location suggestions. I live in the Heights and am also looking for a place, this post could not have come at a better time :)

Posted on: 2010/10/18 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a guy with his young son picking clothes out of the bin on Marin a few weeks ago. Was a bit disappointed because it was out in the open, and he was doing it right in front of his kid.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, as I was picking up someone from Shop Rite, i waited in the car by the bins. These two ladies really got me upset. Since I had nothing better to do then wait I snapped a few shots. I was amazed by the number of people that pull up to give clothes, but disappointed that they give the clothes away to these ladies. Who by the way immediately open up the bags, throw them into a cart and start digging through.

Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image Resized Image

Sorry for the blur but I have a shaky hand and had to zoom.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Thank you Pixie.
I was scrolling down the list to ask if St. Lucy's took clothing...I was happy to stumble onto your post. I think it is the only agency Downtown that is genuinely dedicated to helping the poor, Salvation Army iincluded.

I am also glad they take books because often even the libraries turn their noses up at them.

I am packing up a bundle of both clothes and books.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 14:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/22 12:10
Group:
Registered Users
i've been putting my stuff in the purple bins on morgan st... anyone know where those go to?

Posted on: 2010/9/9 22:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/3 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
The salvation army bin on Marin is a good suggestion. I also recommend St. Lucy's shelter on Grove Street. The parking is easy and they even take books.

http://www.kannekt.com/15/83socia1.htm

Posted on: 2010/9/9 19:20

Re: donation bins behind bed bath & beyond
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/7 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

There's always someone going though the bins, everyone needs a new wardrobe .

Those bins in the SR parking lot are a for profit private company they sell the clothes.
I use the Red Cross bins next to the firehouse on Marin.

Excellent suggestion, 07310. Thanks!

Just came back from dropping off some items there. Easy, safe, and better yet, no grabby moochers hanging out.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yagger wrote:
i've been donating my clothes in the bins behind bbb for years. EVERY time i do it there are a gaggle of women who bombard me and beg for me not to put my bags in the bins but rather to just give the clothes to them. i refuse to do this. it's not like the women seem in need of a new wardrobe...they look well dressed enough. what's what with these women? and i understand i can just donate elsewhere, but location is everything when you don't have a car and your lugging around giant bags of clothes.

There's always someone going though the bins, everyone needs a new wardrobe .

Those bins in the SR parking lot are a for profit private company they sell the clothes.
I use the Red Cross bins next to the firehouse on Marin.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

yagger wrote:
that's what i thought at first... hey, if they need my clothes that's cool. but really? i'd rather my clothes actually go to the charity... i'm thinking they just rifle through - find things that have known labels and sell them. it's also all in their approach...

You're prob right. Every weekend there are odd stoop sales on Jersey Ave between Wayne and CC Blvd. Vhs tapes, kids toys and clothes that dont seem like any of the people selling they would have owned them.

Bango! They sell them, and further more it is illegal to take from the clothing bins which is why they try to bombard you before you put it in. They can get arrested for that because its technically stealing... I donate mine to the shelters there is a womens/children shelter on Bergen Ave and they have the shelter downtown for men as well. I always heard that story that the clothing in those bins never makes it to the needy... I dont know, I never trusted them or I use Freecycle.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
As another option, you can always dropped your clothes off at the donation bins in front of the fire station, it's only a block away from BB&B.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yagger wrote:
that's what i thought at first... hey, if they need my clothes that's cool. but really? i'd rather my clothes actually go to the charity... i'm thinking they just rifle through - find things that have known labels and sell them. it's also all in their approach...

You're prob right. Every weekend there are odd stoop sales on Jersey Ave between Wayne and CC Blvd. Vhs tapes, kids toys and clothes that dont seem like any of the people selling they would have owned them.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 15:00

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017