Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

JC Visitor Parking Permit

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/17 19:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have several visitor parking permits (the ones where you scratch off the month/date/year) but the last year on the permit is 2015. Does anyone know if these are still valid? I have a contractor coming Tuesday AM and the Parking Authority on Central Ave doesn't open until Tues 8am.

I know this will probably be mind blowing to the folks at JCPA but wouldn't it be great to purchase a visitor's parking permit online that could be printed out OR perhaps sell them at local businesses which have hours that are actually convenient to all.

Just saying...

Thanks,

Posted on: 2016/1/17 18:30

Re: Visitor Parking Permits/Parking Regulations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The visitor permits are scratch off valid for any vehicle for one day, the day you scratch off.

I have one you can have for face value ($3) Sara, I live right near you on 8th and Erie, PM me on here and we can arrange.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/12/31 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Saradove wrote:
Thanks Jaded ... that's how I remembered the visitor's parking permits ... good for one day only & for no specific vehicle. But, it's been a long time since I've needed one. Next day off from work I'll go pick-up some up. Thanks & Happy New Year! ... Saradove

Sorry for the miss information Saradove must have confused something with the parking authority I'll check with them again though. I thought they meant to be specific with each car for a specified amount of time as well.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 22:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jaded ... that's how I remembered the visitor's parking permits ... good for one day only & for no specific vehicle. But, it's been a long time since I've needed one. Next day off from work I'll go pick-up some up.

Thanks & Happy New Year! ... Saradove

Posted on: 2012/12/30 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Unless things have changed in the last two years, visitor parking permits are NOT issued for a specific vehicle. However, each permit is valid for one day only. The cost is $3 per permit, and the parking authority only takes money orders (the post office is practically next door on Central Ave.) When you go, just buy a stack of 10 permits, so you don't have to keep coming back every time you have a visitor. The permits, which are good for a couple of years, have scratch-off squares, like lottery tickets, for the date you intend to use each one. Just hang it on the rearview mirror.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 18:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info, Heights. I didn't realize that a visitor parking permit could only be issued for one particular vehicle. Jeesh! Anyway, since the PATH will be running all night, we're going to meet in the City instead of JC.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Saradove wrote:
Does anyone have a spare daily visitor parking permit? A friend is coming in for New Year's Eve & definitely doesn't want to get a parking ticket/boot. Please inbox me if you have one you can spare ... thanks!

These cannot be shared or passed around they are issued on a one by one basis according to the car it is issued to. The parking authority is up in the Heights on Central Ave. I doubt you would need one anyway seeing that New Year's Eve after 5pm (meters after 6pm) and New Year's Day starts the holiday.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 14:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a spare daily visitor parking permit? A friend is coming in for New Year's Eve & definitely doesn't want to get a parking ticket/boot. Please inbox me if you have one you can spare ... thanks!

Posted on: 2012/12/30 13:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
Tamard

Why wouldnt you just go to the PA on central ave and get one?

I would if I had the time but I will not make it home from work in time to get up there. I thought it was worth a shot to ask our neighbors if they had extras that they were willing to sell. Thanks for asking!

Posted on: 2011/4/26 18:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
Tamard

I would if I had the time but I will not make it home from work in time to get up there. I thought it was worth a shot to ask our neighbors if they had extras that they were willing to sell. Thanks for asking!

Posted on: 2011/4/26 18:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
Tamard

Posted on: 2011/4/26 18:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Looking to buy 2 daily Visitor parking permits. Would need to pickup tonight. Willing to pay a premium over face. Please inbox me if you have any extras that you are willing to sell. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/26 14:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
John.....
In some areas of the city the first time booting is very legal . The reserve spaces , that people pay $125.00 a month on CCD is one area. They are only enforced from either7am /9am till 5pm.... The area is properly signed .

The area by the light rail are the other first time boot areas. That is due to people using these areas as free parking , jump on the train and theres no parking for the residents.

There are other areas, I believe by NJCU. Thats because the students use the street parking and not the parking lots. When that happens the residents can not park on the streets and the residents have to look at the empty parking lots that the students have for free but park on the street.

As for who told you it was a violation,,, tell them to get facts in order before passing to you misinformation... They are partially right but very wrong. This has ZERO to do with corruption by the way. Its the written ordinance on the books now.. Period the end.

As I have stated in past posts ,I was a poster child for tickets . if there is a violation/law/ordinance I have gotten a ticket for it. Like you I assumed alot and thought it was all criminal but as I researched the Parking issues in JC I was able to see that I was wrong 98% of the time. Heres a kicker for you READY>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you have a home where you have a LEGAL driveway, remember LEGAL drioveway, it is illegal to block it with your own car!!!! There is actually a permit that you can buy. This has nothing to do with the Parking Authority by the way. You get the permit from DPW for a few dollars a year . I questioned it and was pissed. But I did my research and got an answer. You are going to love this.... Ready again>>>>>>>>>>

Believe it or not , in JC there are people who do not get along. If there are people who block their own driveway and lets say a person who lives next door to them, and they dont like each other. There have been times where the next door person calls the police and complains about a blocked driveway. The police may write them a ticket for blocking the driveway . Could you imagine how mad you would get for getting that ticket.
I see your wheels turning,,,, "The police know where the call comes from" No not always if they call the Non emergency number it may not come up, only when you call 911 it comes right up. The permit stops that .

Posted on: 2011/4/25 7:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/27 23:32
Group:
Registered Users
Getting booted on a first violation happens all the time. I have friends and relatives who will no longer visit us. If you think about it, it is not only extreme that they do it on the first offense but I was told it is actually a violation of the city's own ordinance but no one will do anything about this abuse because the city is desperate for money. Just another example of the rampant corruption in JC.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:41

Re: JCPA and paying for permits
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you live in JC, but an area with no zone permits its just like living out of state. I have lived here for my entire life and I have seen what the downtown area when it was a mess. The JCPA took over all parking responsibility ,i think in 1981, like enforcement,lots,meters,permits street cleaning. The way it was set up in 1981 has to be ripped up and start over. That is being done now.

As for the police taking over , wont work, thats why the responsibility was changed then.

In the 80s there were roughly 1200 uniformed police. Over 100 motorcycles in the traffic unit and hunderds of supervisors. The police officers were getting paid ,top pay, somewhere around 31,000.00 , supervisors just under 40,000.00. They did the traffic details that the JCPA do today. Im sure you read as I did about the pay they are getting now. Cops at 100,000.00 and supervisors 115,000.00. Parking authority enforcement makes 30 to 35,000.00 a year and the bosses make about 5 to 10,000.00 more. You want them doing a sweeper run? meter tickets? Not too financially sound idea when the JCPA , in 2010 generated just under 15 mill. covering its overhead paying all bills, no debt at all except for the building they occupy , which they collect rent from the USPS and CCTV. They own property ( about 14 parking lots) No debt on those , own all equiptment and on top of that they turned over to the City of Jersey city around 8 mill. These numbers are for real not a guess.

There are about 800 police officers and supervisors. Who will you have to answer emergency calls while they are with a sweeper? Sir, I respect the police in this city and I have seen this city go through such a transformation that you wouldnt believe . The police are out numbered, out gunned and have thier backs against the wall. Yes there are ones who have made mistakes , but for every one officer who messed up there 50 that do a very tough job well.

As for the permit office people keeping track of who buys what, there are 260,000 people in the city and god only knows how many go in the office for any type of permits. You want then to remember all? Keep a log as to who buys what? When do you say " Im sorry sir/ma am you bought 5 permits last month sorry no SOUP for you!" without a problem? Keeping the policy this makes sense.

I went through the same with wrong info being given to me from that office. Go to the top!! The answers are there...

Posted on: 2011/4/3 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
Goodmorning again my friend,

I have those answers for you. Ready......

The visitors parking permits are for people visiting reaidents in the city. If a person is just visiting JC to see JC they are subject to the same parking rules and regs as a person , lets say, who lives in JC but is not in a "Zone Area" where no permit is needed.

So what you are saying is that if you are not visiting residents, you should not be in JC for more than two hours. That's a great way to generate revenue for JC businesses. And remember don't keep your car in a zone for more than 2 hours because even if you move your car to another spot within the zone, you can get ticket.

Quote:

This practice is to prevent the following , get out your calculator. A person can buy (5) daily permits for $15.00 weekly X4 weeks and pay a total of $60.00 a month to park anywhere Downtown and work there. If you could do that the residents would be out of parking period. What is to stop the masses from doing this monthly. That would mean that no vehicles would have to be moved for an entire week, just change the permit daily.And why would anyone pay for the reserve spaces? Thats why......

Now that is a reasonable answer, but I would hope that if someone were buying permits on a regular interval someone in the JCPA would have enough common sense to realize that there is probably something else going on.

Quote:
The next question is a bit tricky.... But here you go... I believe it is because in the past there have been people who have not exactly followed the rules. They have gone into the JCPA and bought visitor permits and didnt have an valid paperwork but paid for the permits with a personal check . Believe it or not people have bounced checks for $3.00 or $6.00 and without valid paperwork the JCPA has no way to collect what is owed. Cash is not an option and Im sure you can understand why. So paying withmoney orders is the best option.

Actually, cash is acceptable for visitor permits but there is a limit as to how many you can purchase with cash. So the only thing I understand is that the JCPA is probably pocketing money in small amounts. And if the JCPA can keep track of all of our violations, why not keep track of who has been bouncing checks and make those people pay with money orders.

Quote:

I have a question for you. Why are asking here? Why not ask the people who are in charge of the JCPA. I am NOT trying to insult anyone on this site but unless they do as I do and call the JCPA, JCPD and the JCIA on the carpet with the questions that I have, How would anyone else know the exact answer to specific questions. Answers at that point would just be a guess or an assumption. Just call them.

Should I have asked while I was there? Yes. Did I? No, because it didn't cross my mind as I was so annoyed that I had to pay a fee for a money order in order to pay the JCPA in an alternate method.

And just as an aside, in the seven years I have been here, every time I have called the JCPA or asked a JCPA employee a question while I was there in person, I have always been given misinformation. I have even called three days in a row and asked a question about parking regulations and have been given three different conflicting answers. I think the JCPA should be disbanded and the JCPD can enforce the parking regulations llike they do anyhow. Even better, let's roll up the JCPA into a separate department within the JCPD so it is no longer an autonomous agency and is more accountable to the people of JC. Somehow I think that would save JC some money as overhead costs should decrease. Hmmmm, kind of like the NYC Parking Enforcement Agents getting rolled in with the NYPD. Oh wait, why should we follow the lessons learned from another city because we like doing things our own way.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 17:08
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Goodmorning again my friend,

I have those answers for you. Ready......

The visitors parking permits are for people visiting reaidents in the city. If a person is just visiting JC to see JC they are subject to the same parking rules and regs as a person , lets say, who lives in JC but is not in a "Zone Area" where no permit is needed.

This practice is to prevent the following , get out your calculator. A person can buy (5) daily permits for $15.00 weekly X4 weeks and pay a total of $60.00 a month to park anywhere Downtown and work there. If you could do that the residents would be out of parking period. What is to stop the masses from doing this monthly. That would mean that no vehicles would have to be moved for an entire week, just change the permit daily.And why would anyone pay for the reserve spaces? Thats why......

The next question is a bit tricky.... But here you go... I believe it is because in the past there have been people who have not exactly followed the rules. They have gone into the JCPA and bought visitor permits and didnt have an valid paperwork but paid for the permits with a personal check . Believe it or not people have bounced checks for $3.00 or $6.00 and without valid paperwork the JCPA has no way to collect what is owed. Cash is not an option and Im sure you can understand why. So paying withmoney orders is the best option.

I have a question for you. Why are asking here? Why not ask the people who are in charge of the JCPA. I am NOT trying to insult anyone on this site but unless they do as I do and call the JCPA, JCPD and the JCIA on the carpet with the questions that I have, How would anyone else know the exact answer to specific questions. Answers at that point would just be a guess or an assumption. Just call them.

Posted on: 2011/4/2 14:18

JCPA and paying for permits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I went to renew my permit the other day at the JCPA and while I was there decided to pick up some visitor parking permits. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

Why can you pay with a personal check when picking up a resident parking permit, but are forced to use a money order when picking up visitor permits? Fortunately, the USPS is right next door, but frankly I find it ridiculous that the JCPA forces the public to use two different forms of payment. Both forms of payment should be acceptable for either type of permit.

Also, if you are picking up a visitor permit, why do you have to provide proof of residency? What if I was just a person visiting JC just for visiting JC and had no other ties to the city? Why can't any random person just walk in and pick up a visitor permit?

Posted on: 2011/4/2 4:28
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Varick St near the school on Bright and I have found recently that parking has been a bitch. Ever since school started and the teachers have been back, it has been virtually impossible to find parking. I know that the school has several lots for their teachers, but seems like they all would rather steal our parking spots in order to not have to walk the half of block to get to the school from the lot. I know they are probably entitled to the parking permit, but if they are not gonna use the lots provided for them, can WE have a permit for their lot?! I would be HAPPY to park there in order to avoid the nearly daily frustration. It has been so bad recently that already this month we've had to park FOUR TIMES in the pay lot on the corner of Montgomery & Grove. Yes, PAYING to park in my own neighborhood in order to avoid parking tickets for the street sweeper (which I think is a waste, it doesn't do anything but blow the garbage around)! Anyone else having similar frustrations in the VVP neighborhood?

Posted on: 2010/10/24 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
These Reserved spaces are terrible for local businesses. It doesn't allow for any short-term/visitor parking. Commuters come in and hog up street parking all day and locals can't use them without the risk of getting ticketed or booted.

Metered parking would be better on large portions of these streets.

Jersey City and the Parking Authority need to give back the downtown streets to the residents of Jersey City, not the commuters!! Let the commuters park in all those empty parking garages in the all those new residential and commercial high rises!

Posted on: 2010/10/23 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
For $125 a month, you, too, can have reserved parking in downtown Jersey City

Published: Friday, October 22, 2010, 9:25 AM Updated:
Friday, October 22, 2010, 2:05 PM

Amy Sara Clark/The Jersey Journal Amy Sara Clark/The Jersey Journal

Resized Image

Ever see these signs in downtown Jersey City and wonder who gets to park in these spots?

Apparently, anyone who lives or works in Jersey City, and has $125 and a few hours to go to the Jersey City Parking Authority, can get one of these permits.

The Reserved Permit Parking program started about 20 years ago on Christopher Columbus Drive but over the years it has expanded to cover nearly 400 spaces throughout downtown Jersey City, according to Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

The program brings in about $576,000 a year to the Jersey City Parking Authority.

The permit will let you park in any of 314 spaces on the following streets, according to Morrill:

? Christopher Columbus Drive between Marin Boulevard and Hudson Street

? Morgan Street between Washington Boulevard and Greene Street

? Pearl Street between Washington Boulevard and Greene Street

? Washington Blvd. between Christopher Columbus Drive and Second Street

? Warren Street between Montgomery Street and Morgan Street

? Washington Street between Montgomery Street and Christopher Columbus Drive

? Steuben Street the entire length except on the Northern Side of Steuben between Marin Blvd. & Warren Street, where the spaces are reserved for Steuben Street Residents.

In addition, there is a separate permit for 70 spaces near Jersey City Medical Center on Jersey Avenue from Grand Street to Aetna Street. These spaces are reserved for permit holders between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and then convert to metered spaces (probably for people visiting hospital patients) from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays as well as all day on Saturday, according to Morrill.

Of course the permits don't get out out of street cleaning restrictions. And anyone can park in these spaces evenings and weekends. But still, for those who need a spot in downtown Jersey City during working hours, the Reserved Parking Permit might be just the thing.

Sometimes these permits are sold out, in which case you will need to put your name on a wait list. But according to the Jersey City Parking Authority, permits are currently available.

For more information call the Jersey City Parking Authority at (201) 653-6969.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_have_reserved_park.html

Posted on: 2010/10/23 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
apparently you dont need a permit at all, im on day 5 without one, parked day and night.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
You don't need a zone permit for weekends, after Friday, 5pm in most areas. Read the sign in your zone.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
A simple question. Can anyone without a permit park in any of the zones Friday night trough Monday morning? Or do you need a zone permit to park in the zones over the weekend?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
Quote:

spider wrote:
My friend lived on second st downtown for a year, no permit or anything and never got a ticket. Do they really enforce parking downtown? And a few times I've borrowed my girlfriend's car and took my chances parking on columbus while I went to work on a weekday, no ticket. I read some of you have gotten boots but I've never actually seen a car with one of them downtown. I'm bringing my car up here permanently in a week, I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a permit. Is it a grueling process if I go up to the place on central?

My friend got booted by 10am on a weekeday on Columbus. I see atleast a car a day on Columbus with a boot on. I would not take my chances.

well i've had my car parked all day on columbus since sunday night and haven't received any tickets yet. the parking authority is conveniently open during the same hours that im at work, ill have to take a half day just to get a permit, but i might wait to see if i ever even get a ticket.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown has zones - so it's not a free-for-all parking downtown close to waterfront and PATH train entrances. But with all the new construction, new residential buildings fall out of zone areas, but are surrounded by zones - and forced to park wherever they can find a spot with no signs posted.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
They got youse hoppin around like jack rabbits in that Ward E/Downtown section. 8 fregin zones unreal. Every other area in the city has just one zone or none for that matter. I like Hoboken's idea one single zone for the entire city and only one side 2 hour parking for visitors.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for your info. i live above wonder bagels now but im moving near 4th & grove in two months, are they different zones? i guess i have to go back in two months to avoid tickets in between. also, my license and insurance has my current address, but when i renewed the registration i forgot to change the address. will they still take it?

Quote:

jklm wrote:
Getting a parking permit is not an issue - but you should have proof of residency and I think your car should be registered at your home address. Although I have seen some cars with out-of-state plates with a Zoned parking permit!!

What building do you live in? Does it have a garage? Some new high rises are not zoned - so not entitled to a zone permit for parking downtown.

Second Street is currently in a state of flux - a lot No Parking signs
have recently been posted.

Quote:

spider wrote:
My friend lived on second st downtown for a year, no permit or anything and never got a ticket. Do they really enforce parking downtown? ... I'm bringing my car up here permanently in a week, I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a permit. Is it a grueling process if I go up to the place on central?

Posted on: 2010/10/14 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Getting a parking permit is not an issue - but you should have proof of residency and I think your car should be registered at your home address. Although I have seen some cars with out-of-state plates with a Zoned parking permit!!

What building do you live in? Does it have a garage? Some new high rises are not zoned - so not entitled to a zone permit for parking downtown.

Second Street is currently in a state of flux - a lot No Parking signs
have recently been posted.

Quote:

spider wrote:
My friend lived on second st downtown for a year, no permit or anything and never got a ticket. Do they really enforce parking downtown? ... I'm bringing my car up here permanently in a week, I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a permit. Is it a grueling process if I go up to the place on central?

Posted on: 2010/10/14 19:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

spider wrote:
My friend lived on second st downtown for a year, no permit or anything and never got a ticket. Do they really enforce parking downtown? And a few times I've borrowed my girlfriend's car and took my chances parking on columbus while I went to work on a weekday, no ticket. I read some of you have gotten boots but I've never actually seen a car with one of them downtown. I'm bringing my car up here permanently in a week, I don't know if I'll have enough time to get a permit. Is it a grueling process if I go up to the place on central?

My friend got booted by 10am on a weekeday on Columbus. I see atleast a car a day on Columbus with a boot on. I would not take my chances.

Posted on: 2010/10/14 15:01

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017