Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Tags: ''  

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Zipcar in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/4 12:57
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, there's no refund if you wanted to book a car one day and it wasn't available. The annual fee is also only for people who aren't on a monthly plan of some sort. I just don't use it nearly enough to justify a monthly plan, even taking into account the yearly fee. I barely used Zipcar last year. I made 2 reservations. I used it about half a dozen times in each of the years before because of work related reasons.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2/20 16:52
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Avis to acquire Zipcar
http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/02/news/ ... pcar/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Hopefully cars will now be available on weekends. Also hopefully full day pricing will be closer to rentals. If so, I could use it a lot more than I use it now.

If you cannot use it when you want do you still have to pay the full annual membership fee ?

Posted on: 2013/1/2 17:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Avis to acquire Zipcar

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/02/news/ ... pcar/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Hopefully cars will now be available on weekends. Also hopefully full day pricing will be closer to rentals. If so, I could use it a lot more than I use it now.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of cars are now in Liberty Harbor. Glad that the hideous gravel open air parking lot is finally of some use.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 16:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/10 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
I've been using Zipcar in JC for about a year. While I will admit that many of the critiques of fellow jc.listers are on target - (it is true that the more affordable cars are hard to find on weekends, and that you can't be even a minute late without getting hit with the fee, it is also very true that if you are using a car for a whole weekend then a regular rental is cheaper) - I personally get a real kick out of zipcar. I especially like the 24/7 availability. I love using the computer reservation system and the iphone app. My cars have always been in good shape and ready to roll when I've reserved. One of my gripes: the 50 Columbus garage is frustrating because the cars are all the at the top of the garage and I felt like I was circling forever to actually get down to the street. But overall, I love it. Not owning a car is incredibly liberating, and it might just make you feel like you are part of a solution for modernizing America's cities. I watch stuff like this and get inspired:

http://www.streetfilms.org/mba-car-sharing/

If it does cost me a little bit more here and there, I don't mind for two reasons. 1) I think Zipcar is a genius idea and I want it to succeed on a national level. 2) Any costs of car-sharing or rentals of any kind will always be WAY less than owning a car.

Good luck and welcome to Zipcar! - JCDowntowner

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for the info. It definitely doesn't seem like an optimum situation. But, I might try it nonetheless; esp since I get a discount from my employer I'll be cautiously optimistic and not expect too much.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Having been a Zipcar member for about half a year, I can say it is not quite as versatile as I had hoped. If you could return cars to a different location than where you took them out, it would be a godsend. As it is, Zipcar is best for errands and short trips and I appreciate its utility.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 22:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/14 20:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is worth it for people without kids who use a car once or twice a month at non-peak times. Once you add in car seats or holiday travel it is pretty inconvenient.

I also have had maintenance problems with Zipcars and got tons of attitude from a cleaning person who was not finished cleaning my reserved car by my reservation time.
I also hate worrying about getting back right on time vs spending extra on time I don't need it.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
For the hell of it i calculated what I've spent during the 8 years I was a driver for car purchase, insurance, gas, repairs, maintenance, etc. Came up with an average of $7,500 per year. I spend $650 per year to ride the path and barely use the MTA or NJ transit. Incredible.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 21:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/19 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
I actually just got a car because Zipcar is so inconvenient, and if you use it more than once or twice a month, its the same price as leasing a car.

Its not $11 or $13 an hour - its that PLUS taxes, PLUS full-price tolls, and if you go over 180 miles they will charge you.

I can't tell you how many times I reserved one on the weekend, and it didn't start, or it had a flat tire, or you name it. completely inconvenient and ruined many events I need a car for...

My two cents - totally not worth it.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It is very convenient, but you will not always be able to get a car at the spur of the moment on a busy weekend. I was looking to see if I could get a car on Sunday and they were all booked in JC. Holiday weekends like last week are always busy though, so that's the exception. I've been able to get it on other occasions as needed.

Looking at the site right now, there is one car in JC available all weekend and a bunch of others available for certain hours each day for the weekend.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 15:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to update this thread and get folks opinion on their current experience with Zipcar. I'm considering signing up and want to know especially what the availability of cars is like in JC. Any info would be apreciated, thanks.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2/20 16:52
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
natalie,

Why not try it yourself first? Check the going price on Edmunds.com or Kelley BLue book (kbb.com.)
I gave mine up without needing a sale (a drunken jerk from Camden smased into it and 5 others while parked.) Put a FOR SALE sign on your car. You can always do the broker later.

After almost a half century of driving, it took a little adjusting. But after a while, you begin to appreciate NO trips to the gas station, NO huge annual insurance bills, NO waking up to slashed tires or broken windshields or smashed fenders. You never need hear the guy at Sears or Pep Boys say, " the red light is on, that will cost about $1000." No more jumping into the car and finding it won't start or the radio is missing AGAIN! No more driving round the block for an hour to find a parking space.

Shopping with a large cart gives you exercise and when you see yet another car being towed by the car-thieves in Shop Rite's lot, you can feel sad for the owner instead of fearful for yourself.
And then there is the very real feeling that you did the right thing with every article you read about multiple car collisions, injuries and deaths.

Some people NEED cars, but if you don't, life is better without...and I've looked at that cloud "from both sides now." And if you find that choice is wrong, you can always buy another car.
And remember, after 10 years without a car, you have an extra $70,000 or so in the bank.

All my social life is in Manhattan and what with the tolls and impossibility of parking without spending $100, for the last 5 years of car ownership my car stayed home anyway. Car costs got more and more pointless.

Note also: 50,000 people are killed each year in 7 MILLION car accidents.

Wow makes me feel I should give up my car altogether. I bike half of the time as it is. I guess Judy Collins was right along with yourself , looking at clouds from both sides.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 7:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/1 6:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Some credit cards include rental insurance for free if you pay for the rental car with the card.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 1:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 7:50
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FranciscoGalt wrote:
I too am looking into selling my car and going with Zipcar and for my usage (regular Saturday 6-hrs and occasional overnight), it would make much more sense to rent from Dollar or Enterprise. Note: That $5 state surcharge is per day, in case you were planning on multiple-day use.

I previously inquired about zipcar. Since then, I've sold my car and have had 2 occasions to rent Enterprise and I also joined zipcar and used it roughly 6 times.

I love zipcar and it's great if used properly. I'm still learning the ins and outs and how best to utilize it. At a certain point, it makes more sense to use a rental car service such as Enterprise. However, before doing so, you need to also take into consideration insurance. I discontinued my policy when I sold my car so it's now a factor. Granted, insurance is voluntary, but it's crazy not to have it. The cost at Enterprise was about $25/day I think. In any event, it was substantial. I think $500 insurance is included in the zipcar rental and you can purchase more insurance fairly cheaply on an annual basis.

Also, bear in mind that Enterprise closes at 6pm and is not open on Sundays and there's no automatic drop off. So, a 6 hour rental on a Saturday may turn into a 2 or 3 day rental unless you are able to return it by 6. Otoh, zipcar is 24/7, rent and return at your convenience.

The $5 surcharge with zipcar was more bothersome because they're not completely upfront about it. I don't know if it's intentional or just poor staff training.

In any event, both Enterprise and Zipcar make sense depending on the circumstances. And did I say, I love zipcar. It's so simple.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 1:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
One of the most ridiculous "fees" I have ever heard of. It basically ruins renting a zipcar for an hour.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I haven't rented for a while. Are they still adding that federal "terrorism surcharge" (or some such silliness) that was $3 a day or thereabouts on all rentals?

This predated that new state $5 charge.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 12:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/23 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
I too am looking into selling my car and going with Zipcar and for my usage (regular Saturday 6-hrs and occasional overnight), it would make much more sense to rent from Dollar or Enterprise. Note: That $5 state surcharge is per day, in case you were planning on multiple-day use.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
That's right.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the $5 is some sort of state surcharge levied each time you rent a car. I believe that was mentioned by a previous poster above. Sales tax and the $5 surcharge should be the only fees on top of the hourly rental (provided you return the car on time). Most cars have EZ Pass on them, so any tolls you use will show up on your credit card as well.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 23:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
They need to brush up a bit on their customer relations / full disclosure. I was a bit taken aback when someone here posted there was a $5 surcharge on all rentals. I didn't notice it on their website [it's actually there, but kind of hidden away in the FAQ.]

I called to find out the total fees for 1 hour. I told the rep everything she needed to know, i.e., location, weekday, type of car, etc. She said it was impossible to tell me without actually reserving a car. After a few minutes of back and forth, I asked for a supervisor. I finally got a straight answer and it was actually simple, assuming I was given the right answer, which I'm not so sure of. I was told add to the weekday rate of $11 - sales tax and $5. That's it. Can anyone confirm that the only added charges to the base charge are sales tax and the $5 surcharge?

Posted on: 2010/8/31 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Shopping with a large cart gives you exercise and when you see yet another car being towed by the car-thieves in Shop Rite's lot, you can feel sad for the owner instead of fearful for yourself.

Hah! One of the compelling reasons I decided to join Zipcar was so I'd never have to go to Shop Rite again and watch these thugs extort people, or be reminded that I still live in a quasi-ghetto. With Zipcar, I can go to A&P or even (gasp!) Whole Paycheck and Trader Joe's in Edgewater.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 18:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The responses have been very helpful, thanks.

Xerxes, a for sale sign on my car would do little good. I have checked the price on Edmunds & Kelley Blue Book so I know what to expect. My car is parked in a parking lot and, as I said, I rarely use it. Not many people will see the sign.

I hesitate to start spending money on ads. I figure I may as well just pay the big bucks to Auto Trader and get it done right. Another feature I like about Auto Trader is if I go for the $159 plan (they construct the ad, provide lots of advice and list the ad towards the top on Edmunds and several other places), is that the service is good for a year. So I wouldn't have to worry about renewing ads and I could hold out for the price I want.

I keep thinking about all the dumb little things I use my car for, mostly errands, and all the hardships I'll have to endure without a car. -) But the savings and telling my insurance company to go shove it seem to mitigate all the so-called harships.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
natalie,

Why not try it yourself first? Check the going price on Edmunds.com or Kelley BLue book (kbb.com.)
I gave mine up without needing a sale (a drunken jerk from Camden smased into it and 5 others while parked.) Put a FOR SALE sign on your car. You can always do the broker later.

After almost a half century of driving, it took a little adjusting. But after a while, you begin to appreciate NO trips to the gas station, NO huge annual insurance bills, NO waking up to slashed tires or broken windshields or smashed fenders. You never need hear the guy at Sears or Pep Boys say, " the red light is on, that will cost about $1000." No more jumping into the car and finding it won't start or the radio is missing AGAIN! No more driving round the block for an hour to find a parking space.

And then there is the very real feeling that you did the right thing with every article you read about multiple car collisions, injuries and deaths.

Some people NEED cars, but if you don't, life is better without...and I've looked at that cloud "from both sides now." And if you find that choice is wrong, you can always buy another car.
And remember, after 10 years without a car, you have an extra $70,000 or so in the bank.

All my social life is in Manhattan and what with the tolls and impossibility of parking without spending $100, for the last 5 years of car ownership my car stayed home anyway. Car costs got more and more pointless.

Note also: 50,000 people are killed each year in 7 MILLION car accidents.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 12:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I crunched the numbers and I'm going to sell my car and be car-less for the first time in many years. It's a scary thought.

I'm leaning towards using a company called Auto Trader (autodrader.mota.com) to help sell my car. Has anyone had experience with them? I'm hesitant about doing it myself as I've never sold a car privately before. I'm thinking Auto Trader will be able to optimize the sales price. The service I'm thinking of getting costs $159. I saw a couple of good reviews on the internet about them.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2/23 15:51
Group:
Registered Users
Ironic that HHertz lobbied for the fee given that Hertz is trying to expand its Hertz Conbect business, which tries to compete with zipcar.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if you just need it for an hour, consider that NJ has assessed, at rental car companies' request, a $5 "security tax" for all rental car orders. So if you rent a car for a week, you pay the $5 tax. If you rent it for an hour, you pay the $5 tax. It is one of the ways that Avis, Hertz, etc. have lobbied against zipcar businesses. So your $13/hour goes up to $20 with taxes if you take it for an hour. It only makes sense if you take a car for a few hours at a time.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I recently joined Zipcar because I really only need a car for big errands once or twice a month. The locations in JC are more plentiful and there are more cars to choose from than Hertz connections. I usually use the cars stabled at the 50 Columbus garage.

Some observations: the hourly rate is a good deal when you only need a car for 2-3 hours because it includes insurance and gas. However, if you need a car for, say, a weekend getaway, then it pays to shop around and consider a traditional car rental as Zipcar does have mileage limits. Reserve well in advance for weekends, or if you can rent on weekdays, all the better as the hourly rates are slightly cheaper. If you decide on a Thursday night that you want a car for Saturday, the only thing you'll find available are the pricey BMWs. Finally, always leave yourself a generous cushion of time. They will nail you on the $50 late fee if you're even a minute late returning the car.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
By Natalie:
I read all the posts with much interest. I'm wondering if there's any new developments. I'm new to this and only started thinking about it when I realized that it's costing a fortune to own a car that I drove 5000 miles a year, mostly on errands. By selling my car I would save about $3500/yr in parking and insurance and routine maintenance, but not counting depreciation.

My best estimate INCLUDING the capitalization of a medium car kept about 10 years and parked in a Newport lot runs about $7,000 a year. I judged it not worth it to put 6,000 or 7,000 miles a year on it...like a dollar a mile.

For someone who needs it for work, then it's a different story.

Every time I've needed a car the math always favored a daily rental at Enterprise rather than an hourly Zip-Car rental.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/19 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
There are at least 3 zipcars located in the Dixon Mills parking lot at all times. I'd guess that is a pick up and drop off location as well.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 12:51

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017