Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What is wrong with the people driving in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I'm at the traffic light at Newark, Summit, and I believe it's St Paul's facing east on Newark. I'm about the 10th car back before the road splits into two lanes - one to make a left north onto Summit or go straight onto St Paul's, and the other to make a right onto and continue on Newark or turn south onto Summit. There was a lot of traffic between Kennedy and Summit so it was slow going.

Anyhow, there is a NJ Transit bus behind me with its right turn signal on. The light changes green, the bus hits the horn, we move like two car lengths, and the light changes red. The light changes again and the same routine. It's not like we can go anywhere.

Well on the third cycle I am just turned into the split, the light changes green, the bus goes in the left turn/straight lane where there are no cars, goes up to the light and makes the right cutting everybody off.

Did he know I was ranting about horrible driving today?

Posted on: 2010/10/9 2:15
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Do you think the term is "Jersey Left," for a reason or just a random connection of two words.

As far as I know, the term is "Jersey Left" because shortly after moving here and being completely blown away by this new level of selfish and dangerous behavior I started calling it a "Jersey Left". I've never heard anyone else use it, other than my dad when he comes to visit. He who loves it (the term.) I had a lot of issues with the whole NY/NJ region for a lot of years, but I think I've worked through most of them.

But I agree with pretty much everything you have to say on the subject, X. It's just that we're never going to change them.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Do you think the term is "Jersey Left," for a reason or just a random connection of two words. Just another sign of rude, impatient, me-first behavior. But they are very energy conscious because it is a rare NJ driver who wastes wattage on a turn signal.
Even the roads are designed by morons like those stupid dangerous traffic circles.

Those who think Jersey drivers are good drivers have never left the state and certainly never driven in inclement weather.

And oh my, the new immigrants, especially the women... They could fill HOURS on TOSH.O.

This site sums up the New Jersey Driver pretty well...see if you recognize yourself:

http://www.youmightbe.com/pages/new_jersey_driver.html

NJ drivers are are the rudest, most inconsiderate, and least capable drivers in the country...but I've never been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Alaska.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:

That seems rational to me.
A courteous driver would let him do it, in my opinion.

Have I been here too long, now?

I think so. It may seem courteous to the person making the left, but it is not courteous to the cars behind you at the light. If people ignore the rules of the road, they soon forget what they are.

I've had situations where it's not just the first guy, or even the second, but the third as well. I'm sorry, but there is no way you can spin this as okay. And I let people into traffic constantly. Constantly. It's like a drug for me - it medicates the irrational urges I get when I see the homicidal idiots driving next to me. So I'm all for courteous (as I mentioned, I'm from the midwest...)

The one's that I really will never understand make the Jersey Left in front of you when you are the only car at the light. Really? Waiting 4.7 seconds for me to clear the intersection is going to make the difference in what?

Posted on: 2010/10/8 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:

I think so. It may seem courteous to the person making the left, but it is not courteous to the cars behind you at the light. If people ignore the rules of the road, they soon forget what they are.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:28
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Okay - but could we also have a separate thread on the Jersey Left? (The one where the guy opposite you guns it to turn left in front of you right when the light changes to green.)

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
The best is the people in their Honda's without mufflers who speed down the streets and honk 100 ft. from the stop sign and plow right through it. I guess the honking means "I'm coming through so you better stop".

Really too bad that most of the time they end up T-boning the guy with the right of way.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/9 13:06
Group:
Registered Users
The worst drivers wear a NY or a Mass plate. The Pennsylvania drivers are just transplanted New Yorkers who were, dimwitted enough to move 90 miles away from work.
In any event they are prime examples of Darwin's "natural selection" principal in action.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
Can we all agree to just pick on the cars with Ontario plates?

Okay - but could we also have a separate thread on the Jersey Left? (The one where the guy opposite you guns it to turn left in front of you right when the light changes to green.)

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Can we all agree to just pick on the cars with Ontario plates?

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I think it important to distinguish between bad driving and rude driving. I think in general NJ has pretty capable drivers and I am surprised only Martin Truex has made it to the NASCAR circuit from here. Maybe after a few trips on the Turnpike, Daytona isn't a challenge? By capable, I mean being able to change lanes with only inches to spare at 85 mph.

If you want to talk about a-holiest (I like that word), though, NJ tales a back seat to no one.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
agreed that jersey drivers are actually decent. now that i'm living in CT, i would gladly trade the idiots that drive around here for NJ drivers.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I'm a Pennsylvanian and I grew up with a phrase uttered by drivers universally. Whenever they saw someone friving like a moron the most damning phrase, derisively spoken, was "JERSEY DRIVER" usually accompanied by eyes looking upwards.

Living long in New Jersey has done little to change my opinion. Add three snowflakes or some rain and chaos ensues.

T-bird beat me to it, but growing up mostly in NJ, it was always the Pennsylvania drivers, and perhaps even more so the NY drivers, that would cause OUR eyes to roll. Very, very frequently.

People from EVERY state think that people from other states are terrible drivers...especially in the Northeast US where there are many smaller states that are very close to one another.

Ask somebody in Rhode Island what they think of Connecticut drivers.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
These might be the same people that religiously make three point turns on Newark Ave during rush hour so they can get a parking spot.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I'm a Pennsylvanian and I grew up with a phrase uttered by drivers universally. Whenever they saw someone friving like a moron the most damning phrase, derisively spoken, was "JERSEY DRIVER" usually accompanied by eyes looking upwards.

Living long in New Jersey has done little to change my opinion. Add three snowflakes or some rain and chaos ensues.

My experience is completely the opposite. While Pennsylvania drivers may be courteous and share the road on their home turf, I find the most a-holiest, reckless drivers around here to almost always have Pennsylvania plates.

I have a theory for it, too: (not that anyone asked...) more and more people have moved to Eastern PA and commute into the city or nearby areas. They are in their cars two to three hours and want to get where they are going as quickly as possible - understandable, but I really don't want to pay for their poor life choices with my own life, you know?

The 85 mph weaver... The guy six inches off your back bumper, trying to drive over the top of you while you get out of his way... The 50 mph EZ passer... the four lane changer .... the backing up on the Freeway for the missed exit. Classic PA-plated maneuvers. And I say this having grown up in the midwest with no dog in this hunt. Couldn't agree more with you on your last sentence though.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/10/8 13:07

What is wrong with the people driving in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I shouldn't be astonished because I see this happen all the time, but why do drivers in JC insist on drive up to or through accidents and emergency scenes when there are emergency vehicles blocking the road? This has happened twice within the last 12 hours at the Jersey and Second.

Last night about 9:30 there was a motor vehicle accident in this intersection. There were at least 5 police cars, 2 ambulances, and an EMS supervisor with their lights on essentially blocking the intersection. Most drivers saw this and turned down First, but there were many that pulled right up to the first cruiser and and tried to go around it and into the group of emergency services personnel standing in the middle of the street. Even as officers were waving people off to turn around, they drove right up. One driver even asked sounded someone surprised, "Oh I can't get around?"

This morning, I guess there was smoke detector going off in the apartment building on the northeast corner of the same intersection. Four engines, one truck, and a chief responded. One engine was parked facing south in the northbound side of Jersey, another engine was parked facing south in the southbound lane, and the truck was parked facing north in the northbound lane. Again most drivers turned down First, but many figured they could weave through the maze of fire engines and trucks because there was enough space between all of them to get through.

I just want to ask this of the drivers in JC, who I realize probably don't read or know what JC List is:

If you happen to see emergency vehicles ahead of you essentially blocking the road, please choose an alternate route rather than driving up to or around the scene for the safety of all of our emergency personnel. We don't need them to get hit by a vehicle that is not involved in the original incident. Thank you. We appreciate it.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 12:58
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017