Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Velazquez on the Council
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Healy has appoined and the Council has aproved 8-0 to appoint Ray Velazquez, and openly gay judge to take the seat on the council vacated by the removal of Marianno Vega becasue of his felony conviction.

Hooray! I hope Velazquez is a good man, but FINALLY having a gay man on the council (closets don't count) is a sign that Jersey City has entered the Twentieth Century. (Century choice is NOT a typo!)

Posted on: 2010/10/7 23:40

Re: Jersey City council replaces Mariano Vega, appoints first openly gay member "Ray" Velazquez
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
this must be one heck of a shrewd political appointment, as not much complaint about replacing one "double dipping" county employee with yet another on the municipal council.

sure smells like "sour grapes"

Posted on: 2010/10/6 14:56

Re: Jersey City council replaces Mariano Vega, appoints first openly gay member "Ray" Velazquez
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this must be one heck of a shrewd political appointment, as not much complaint about replacing one "double dipping" county employee with yet another on the municipal council.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When Velazquez was a freeholder, rumors floated he lived in Bergen County. I brought this up at the council meeting.
Velazquez should answer the public on where is living and where he lived when he was a freeholder.

Bergen County? Hey, it's closer than Florida, right?

Posted on: 2010/10/4 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
When Velazquez was a freeholder, rumors floated he lived in Bergen County. I brought this up at the council meeting.
Velazquez should answer the public on where is living and where he lived when he was a freeholder.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
So he's gay and HIV positive. Bottom line, he's still an HCDO hack.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's new councilman at large tells onlookers at swearing-in he's aware his being appointed, not elected, is an issue and will "work very, very hard to win" voters' confidence

Saturday, October 02, 2010
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

At his swearing-in ceremony yesterday, Radames "Ray" Velazquez, Jersey City's newest council member, addressed right off the bat the fact that he was chosen by the mayor and City Council rather than the electorate for the spot.

"To the people of Jersey City, I understand that I was appointed and not elected, and I understand that this is an issue."

But, he added: "I am going to work very, very hard to win your confidence." He was speaking to some 75 people gathered at City Hall.

The Jersey City City Council approved Velazquez by an 8-0 vote Thursday night. He is the first openly gay, and HIV-positive, council member in Jersey City.

Velazquez, 46, a former county freeholder, replaces former councilman at large Mariano Vega, who resigned the day before pleading guilty to corruption charges. Vega resigned Sept. 14, days after the filing deadline to force the city to hold a special election to fill the seat.

Velazquez, who attended Jersey City public schools and earned his law degree at the University of Notre Dame, works as an assistant Hudson County counsel. He resigned his position as a Municipal Court judge after accepting the appointment.

"He is peculiarly qualified for this position, and I don't think we could have found a better person," said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy at the swearing-in. "We're confident that he has the life experience to step in here during this very difficult time."

Velazquez, who was known for being an independent voter when he was a freeholder, said that the fact that all eight council members voted for him indicates that he won't be the administration's rubber stamp, despite his appointment by the mayor.

After the ceremony, Velazquez, who has a 15-year-old son, said he would focus on addressing the city's financial problems and its rising crime rate.

"I want my son to be safe in the city. I understand that every parent in the city wants the same thing," he said.

Jersey City Police spokesman Lt. Edgar Martinez said Velazquez has already contacted Police Director Samuel Jefferson for a meeting.

"He's off to a running start," Martinez said.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
?In short, Ray Velazquez has all of the qualifications we are looking for in an at-large councilman,? Healy said.

Someone needs to remind Healy it's supposed to be what the people are looking for, not what "we" as in Healy and 'his' Council are looking for.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Third time Velazquez has been appointed to fill job after a scandal

Saturday, October 02, 2010

This is the third time that newly appointed Jersey City Councilman at large Radames "Ray" Velazquez has been appointed to fill a position following a scandal:

In 2003, Velazquez was appointed to fill the seat of Fourth District freeholder Nidia Davila-Colon, who resigned after she was convicted of passing bribes from a vendor to then-County Executive Robert C. Janiszewski. Later that year he was elected to fill out the remainder of the term.

In 2007, Velazquez was appointed as a Municipal Court judge to fill one of several seats that became open following "Ticket-Gate," in which a number of judges were accused of dismissing dozens of parking tickets for themselves or friends.

Now, he's replacing Jersey City councilman at large Mariano Vega, who resigned the day before pleading guilty to accepting bribes in exchange for promising to help secure zoning approvals for an FBI informant posing as a developer.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 16:02

Jersey City council replaces Mariano Vega, appoints first openly gay member "Ray" Velazquez
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Jersey City council replaces Mariano Vega, appoints first openly gay member

Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 11:12 PM

Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

In a unanimous vote, Radames "Ray" Velazquez was selected to replace former Jersey City At-Large Councilman Mariano Vega who pleaded guilty to corruption charges.
In a unanimous vote tonight, the City Council named a Jersey City attorney and judge to replace former At-Large Councilman Mariano Vega who resigned after pleading guilty to corruption charges.

The appointment of Radames ?Ray? Velazquez is a historic one, he is the first openly gay and HIV-positive council member, a milestone that drew applause from the crowd gathered in City Hall.

Velazquez, who announced he had resigned as a part-time municipal judge in taking the council seat, said he was honored to serve and appreciated the support of all eight council members.

?I promise I will continue to work hard for the citizens of Jersey City as I have in the past,? said Velazquez who served as a freeholder from 2003 to 2005.

He also noted the historic significance of his appointment.
?The gay and lesbian community today has a voice on this council, although some people may not understand what it?s like not to have a voice, let me explain to you that what you have done today speaks volumes to the people who desperately need a voice and have a voice and have been waiting so long for this opportunity,? he said.

Velazquez replaces Vega, who resigned the day before he pleaded guilty to accepting bribes from a government informant posing as a developer.

The appointment didn?t come without controversy.
Community activist Narciso Castillo said during public comment that Vega?s seat had been called a Puerto Rican seat.

?Any political position should be open and available to any race or gender,? he said. ?It is important that we understand that it is lamentable that in this day and age in the United States that we can speak about an available position and that it should only be available for a certain nationality.?

Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez dispelled rumors that Velazquez, a Puerto Rican, was appointed because of his nationality.

?I?m not sitting in a Puerto Rican seat, I would like to believe I?m sitting her because I?m qualified and that?s how I feel about Ray Velazquez,? she said. ?I think he qualifies.?
Although Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop voted for Velazquez, he noted that several people who applied for the vacancy were not granted interviews. At the last council meeting, community activists had asked the city to have an open, transparent selection process.

Velazquez said he hopes he can serve as a role model to show others in the community, particularly those battling illnesses that it is possible to achieve your goals.
Velazquez, who attended Jersey City public schools and earned his law degree at Notre Dame, works as an assistant Hudson County counsel.

Council members lauded him as an independent voice during his tenure as a freeholder.

?He understands how demanding this job is he understands the needs of the community,? Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson said. ?I?m hoping he?s not a rubber stamp.?
In a statement, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, who nominated Velazquez, said he had all the qualities he was looking for in a candidate.

He noted Velazquez? extensive legal career and added that he has a 15-year-old son attending public school in the city.
?In short, Ray Velazquez has all of the qualifications we are looking for in an at-large councilman,? Healy said.
Velazquez said addressing the city?s crime is important to him.

?We live in a great city, we want to have the best quality of life for all the people in this city,? he said.
Velazquez said he has been interested in serving since he was on the freeholder board.

He did not seek reelection in 2005 after it became appartant the Hudson County Democratic Organization would not back him.

?I think to want to be a public servant is something that?s ingrained in me,? he said.

Council President Peter Brennan joked that Velazquez must be crazy to want the job after witnessing a lengthy public budget hearing and a meeting that stretched more than four hours.

?Do you see what went on here tonight and you want to accept this commendation? Just to tell you this one thing, tonight wasn?t really that bad,? Brennan quipped before saying it was his pleasure to vote yes.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 5:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017