Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Five cars floating in the lake at the bottom of Newark Ave by Samson Stone
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
Did the Tacqeria get flooded? that is a rough corner.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I'll go with the assumption that it was still dark and they didn't realize that there was that much water there as they gunned their engines once the light turned green rather than the stupidity or lemming theory.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 13:51
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
At least today I heard on the radio that Rt 7 was closed because of flooding. Rt 440 is closed down by Home Depot . Also some closures on rt 440 down by the Bayonne city line.

I took the Bayonne entrance to the TP today no problems.

Here is the question of the day (and yesterday). Why would cars #2, #3, and #4 even attempt a crossing if #1 didn?t make it.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I just gave up on my commute to work today.

The Wittpenn Bridge at Newark Ave/Route 139/Truck 1&9 approach is flooded with 3 cars in the middle of it. JC bound vehicles are diverted to Newark Ave.

Of course at Newark Ave and Truck 1&9 there is a 2 car accident.

Truck 1 &9 between Newark Ave and the Lincoln Bridge/Communipaw/Route 440 is severely flooded with traffic down to the left shoulder one point and then driving through 6-12 inches of water closer to Route 440.

Route 440, Communipaw, and Truck 1&9 are backed up pretty far trying to get out of JC.

Grand has an accident a few blocks from Communipaw and is flooded in both lanes east bound by JC Medical Center.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 11:52
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Water is a bitch the way it seeks the lowest point and just lays there.
I guess the laws of elementary hydraulics weren't repealed when people decided that roads, houses, and factories were far better suited to those useless old wetlands.

Anyone who thinks the West side of Jersey city was designed by morons need only look at the doofs who rebuilt New Orleans again...under water.

If the Westside of JC was massively flooded yesterday, this morning it must be open sea because I have RARELY seen it rain so hard as at 5 AM today.
I guess the East Side of town was better engineered because water seems to find it's way into New York Harbor more readily.

Just a hint for JC Civil Engineering staff (if indeed there is such a thing)...water runs DOWNHILL!.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Well.... its a lot worse this morning. I have a river flowing down my street: My corner is where three sewer lines meet as one.

The water is over top of the sewers for the past 40 minutes... which means my basement has a massive amount of water in it (pump can't pump the water out).

I'll go down later (much later) to see what is up down there. Its too early to deal with it now and I haven't even had my first cup of coffee.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 9:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Right MDM.

I could see why they poured the money and know how into fixing the rt 1&9/440 and Communipaw flooding. When that flooded you could not get OUT of JC onto the Turn Pike. (teachers, cops, and firemen couldn't get home) Also you could not get INTO JC from exit 15E. The traffic would be backed up onto the Turn Pike.

Maybe NOT fixing the rt 440 (Home Depot) flooding and the Newark Ave. (Samson Stone) flooding is a good idea. It is after all a good way to keep those creepy Bayonne and Kearney people out of JC.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
In all fairness, the fixes for the flooding issues would require major capital improvements.... You would need pumps.. large ones that can handle large volumes of water at a head pressure higher than the water trying to flow back up the drain from the bay.

You mean like Hoboken is managing to build right now?

I also read in the JJ today where they expect to have a 10% budget surplus this year.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
In all fairness, the fixes for the flooding issues would require major capital improvements (very large pumps and pipelines to Newark bay).

These areas that flood used to be water. Much of the low lying areas in the Western part of J.C. was filled in. Its not too far above sea level. Parts of 440 used to be the Morris Canal. More storm drains won't work because during times when you get a storm surge, the drain outlets in the bay are under water. You would need pumps.. large ones that can handle large volumes of water at a head pressure higher than the water trying to flow back up the drain from the bay.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
One would have thought that a responsible politicians would have used the stimulus money to fix these problems.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
True!

It?s not like they can?t fix the problems either. I will give them credit a few years ago they actually fixed the flooding problem over at rt 1&9/rt 440 and Communipaw. That was a nightmare during heavy rain, you couldn?t get into JC.

I can?t believe that the old owners of the Colonette or the new owners of the JC Diner never sued. The water covers the street and parking lot around their property. It usually comes up to their front door steps.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 15:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I agree its complete BS that this issue hasn't been dealt with, but as someone who's been here their entire life, you're actually surprised by the fact local gov has been ignoring an important problem? I'd expect it!

Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:49

Five cars floating in the lake at the bottom of Newark Ave by Samson Stone
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
As a JC lifer I find it amazing that the flooding problems in JC/Hudson County never get fixed this has been going on for the last 30+ years.

Today the usual suspects?.

- Massive lake (lake 1) on rt 440 down by Home Deport/JC Diner.

- Massive lake (lake 2) at the end of Newark Ave going toward Witt Penn bridge 5 cars floating.

- Haven?t seen Westside and Sip but that should be lake 3 by now.

- Saw two cars floating in South Kearny under the Pulaski Skyway past the Sky Way diner.

- Forget about route 7 going toward Kearny.

Your tax dollars (not) at work!!

Posted on: 2010/9/30 14:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017