Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 'Freecycling' movement hits Hudson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Everyone is so kind..

Let's not overdo it here. There are a lot of flakes (less so than Craigslist, but still a problem) and also a few professional pickers who respond to nearly every ad I've placed and obviously are in the resale business. How about the people giving away 100 things who send 100 separate emails instead of "OFFER: misc items, downtown Jersey City"? I'm still a fan of Freecycle, but it's far from perfect.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Freecycle is awesome!

I've given away quite a few items including a solid wood four poster bed from a house on Bentley Ave, organic pepper plants, and a hand held vacume that I used exactly twice. Everyone is so kind and it's uncomplicated.

There are only four posts allowed: OFFER, TAKEN, WANTED, RECEIVED.

It's fabulous for people who have stuff that's too good to throw in the garbage but not a whole lot of time to place it through other channels.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a freecycle member in Hudson County since they started up and have both given away and gotten items including a pc, monitor, beautiful cherry book case and given away kitchen items, books, tools, etc. I've also forwarded pet info to others both here and elsewhere for placement, lost & found, etc. I think it's a very useful site particularly for those who rather than throwing stuff away like many do, think of posting it to freecycle instead.

I agree with most of what you say below, luvinmyjc.

Quote:

luvinmyjc wrote:
i've been a member of the freecycle community for well over 4 years, the hudson county group for nearly 2...and there's no way that craigslist is a better place to get or give free items (and i don't trust anything on anyone's curb these days). in my 4 years of freecycling i have never once brought a bedbug, roach or any other creepy crawly into my home (you have a way better chance of bringing home bb's from both trashpicking/taking what others leave on the curb and from craigslist, or what i call freaklist), and ive been most active on the list for the last 1.5 years. as a matter of fact, my home is nearly completely freecycled--about 85-90% of what i own was gently used by someine else and given to me for free from my freecycle groups. and i have a pretty nice (small but nice) home, completely furnished and comfortable.

the people are wonderful and ive actually made good connections and even a great friend or two from the group.

also, almost nothing is impossible to see listed on freecycle. i have seen everything from antigue guitars to a minivan listed on the group. i have also seen people give away laptops, newer model flatscreens, yes ipods, baby grand pianos, and entire apartments (i myself received someone's entire apartment from freecycle--everything from the refrigerator to the living room set to their music collection). altogether i would say i have gotten well over $15,000.00 (and that's a VERY conservative total) in free stuff from the list and given away roughly 60 or so items in free stuff within the last 2 years (unfortunately i don't have much to give materialistically but i do give all i can to freecycle first)...and even though it's all usually used, most people can't tell since it's been taken care of so wonderfully. if something is asked for that seems to be a far fetch, i'm never surprised when it's actually received by a member.

having to apply to the group is an excellent idea...for safety purposes and the fact that it's a yahoo group so you must be a member (that's how most yahoo groups work) it keeps out spammers and accounts are closely monitored for safety practices and the like. it's a small group which is great...way easier to navigate and maneuver and you really get to know people. the only downside is the stuff gets taken so quickly you need a cell phone with email connected to it to keep up with the items, or you'll hardly ever get anything.

freecycle has been a godsend to people all over the world, and i'm hardly a snob and have yet to meet a snob on the group (at least they put on a sweet front when pickups are in progress) there's no way craigslist's freebie forum can ever compare. i have yet to see anything as remotely as good listed on CL as i see on FC daily.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 20:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/4 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
i've been a member of the freecycle community for well over 4 years, the hudson county group for nearly 2...and there's no way that craigslist is a better place to get or give free items (and i don't trust anything on anyone's curb these days). in my 4 years of freecycling i have never once brought a bedbug, roach or any other creepy crawly into my home (you have a way better chance of bringing home bb's from both trashpicking/taking what others leave on the curb and from craigslist, or what i call freaklist), and ive been most active on the list for the last 1.5 years. as a matter of fact, my home is nearly completely freecycled--about 85-90% of what i own was gently used by someine else and given to me for free from my freecycle groups. and i have a pretty nice (small but nice) home, completely furnished and comfortable.

the people are wonderful and ive actually made good connections and even a great friend or two from the group.

also, almost nothing is impossible to see listed on freecycle. i have seen everything from antigue guitars to a minivan listed on the group. i have also seen people give away laptops, newer model flatscreens, yes ipods, baby grand pianos, and entire apartments (i myself received someone's entire apartment from freecycle--everything from the refrigerator to the living room set to their music collection). altogether i would say i have gotten well over $15,000.00 (and that's a VERY conservative total) in free stuff from the list and given away roughly 60 or so items in free stuff within the last 2 years (unfortunately i don't have much to give materialistically but i do give all i can to freecycle first)...and even though it's all usually used, most people can't tell since it's been taken care of so wonderfully. if something is asked for that seems to be a far fetch, i'm never surprised when it's actually received by a member.

having to apply to the group is an excellent idea...for safety purposes and the fact that it's a yahoo group so you must be a member (that's how most yahoo groups work) it keeps out spammers and accounts are closely monitored for safety practices and the like. it's a small group which is great...way easier to navigate and maneuver and you really get to know people. the only downside is the stuff gets taken so quickly you need a cell phone with email connected to it to keep up with the items, or you'll hardly ever get anything.

freecycle has been a godsend to people all over the world, and i'm hardly a snob and have yet to meet a snob on the group (at least they put on a sweet front when pickups are in progress) there's no way craigslist's freebie forum can ever compare. i have yet to see anything as remotely as good listed on CL as i see on FC daily.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 18:27
no matter what, i'm luvin my jc!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Freecycle is for snobs.

Craigslist free is where it's at.

Just right. They want you to apply to their tiny group? When I saw that I just did Craigslist free for some stuff and it was gone in hours.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Freecycle is for snobs.

Craigslist free is where it's at.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
We've used an easier method of unloading our unwanted stuff for a while now: The front stoop.

We had a number of old books that we no longer wanted and put them out on the stoop on Saturday morning. By Monday, they were all gone. Another time, an unneeded twin mattress and under-bed frame left at the curb were gone in about an hour.

In Jersey City, if something of any any possible value is left out for the taking, it will be.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Freecycling = Bedbug Express

Posted on: 2010/9/29 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Freecycling is a great thing (I have a bread machine and a cuisinart that people were throwing out, not to mention a couple bits of furniture I found on the street back in college), but I have to admit that the prospect of bed bugs makes me a bit nervous these days.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Misleading title -- the group has been active for over 6 years.

I tend to list things on Freecycle instead of Craigslist's free category, but there are lots of flakes on both systems. I always find it amazing that I'm giving someone something for free, and he or she can't even show up on time, if at all. I'm also turned off by most of the wanted ads on Freecycle -- too many people asking for impossible things (cars, iPhones, etc.)

Posted on: 2010/9/29 15:14

'Freecycling' movement hits Hudson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
'Freecycling' movement hits Hudson

Monday, September 27, 2010
By BRETT WILSHE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The economy may be recovering slowly, but the "freeconomy" is on the rise in Hudson County thanks in part to a local online "freecycling" group.

Freecycling is a means of giving and receiving items that the original owner no longer wants; and everything but the hand-off is conducted online.

It works similarly to Craigslist.com. But items cannot be traded or sold. Freecycled items are, as the term suggests, completely free.

The freecycling group in Hudson County, one of almost 5,000 such groups in the nation, have more than 2,000 members. John Jarema, who has participated with the local group for two years, says donors can correspond with interested parties and choose who gets the listed item based on need.

"I typically give to charities first," said Jarema. "I like to see my stuff go to a good cause, because I just don't have the heart to throw some of this stuff away."

According to the official website of the international Freecycle Network, the initiative is designed to reduce waste in landfills and save people money in the process.

If you need a free table or an antique lamp shade, or just want to off-load your collection of Star Trek novels, freecycling may be the best option, he said.

Those interested in participating in Hudson County's Freecycle group can sign up at www.freecycle.org.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 85568726251310.xml&coll=3

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycle-hudsoncounty-nj/

Posted on: 2010/9/29 15:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017