Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: RINGROAD METERS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Is there any other justification besides forcing people to pay to park in garages overnight?

There is no other justification. Lefrak gets a big chunk of change from the licensees of the parking garages. (What, $180 a month now, $250 reserved?)

On the mattter of the city giving roads to private entities, it works the opposite. Lefrak built all the roads at Newport and tried to keep them private with parking allowed NOWHERE.
BUT it soon became apparent that it was going to cost PLENTY to clean and maintain these roads, sidewalks, etc. INCLUDING Washington Boulevard. SO the roads were ceded to the city who began to clean them regularly and the cityy set up the numbered resident parking and alternate side cleaning regs and weekend parking on Washington.

The only exception was that Lefrak KEPT North Boulevard, and of course, the ring roads in which they have set up tacky meters.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
can anyone explain to me the thought process behind prohibiting overnight parking on North Blvd, River dr and Shore Ln? Is there any other justification besides forcing people to pay to park in garages overnight? These are metered spots, yet when the metered parking is not in effect it is illegal to park there at all. Also what is the city thinking when it gives developers private streets to put meters on?

Where there is a business there should be a parking meter. If the meter is not in effect then doesn't make sense that you can't park there, it means that the parking spot is inoperable.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
can anyone explain to me the thought process behind prohibiting overnight parking on North Blvd, River dr and Shore Ln? Is there any other justification besides forcing people to pay to park in garages overnight? These are metered spots, yet when the metered parking is not in effect it is illegal to park there at all. Also what is the city thinking when it gives developers private streets to put meters on?

Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Good luck rev...your task makes Don Quixote's look like childsplay in comparison.

I agree with HomeonHudson...every change makes Newport less than it was before.

Quote:
by a deal LeFrak made with Morton Williams. By converting it to a metered parking street, the idea was to attract folks from outside Newport to the new grocer to drive up their business.

I found that an amusing "excuse" because trying to comprehend the idea that paid metered parking ENCOURAGES somone to drive to a groicery store surrounded by mega-groceries with free parking lots is beyond me. Lefrak manages to come up with MANY excuses when in reality there is only one REASON for anything it does...to make more money.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/15 14:26
Group:
Registered Users
As the President of the Newport Neighborhood Association ("NNA"), who some call the "Mayor of Newport" my concern with these new meters on the ringroads in Newport is where will the money go collected from the meters. The idea that there needed to be a mechanism to ensure residents do not park in the ringroad areas for extended periods, say more than 20 minutes, is not necessarily a bad idea. However, management has failed to identify where the money from implementing this mechanism will be going. As far as the NNA is concerned, the money should go back to the residents through an amenity such as community meeting rooms like the one in the Avalon Cove development just south of Newport. This is one of several substantive issues the NNA will be addressing now that we had another successful multi-cultural Festival.

Further, North Blvd. used to provide on-street parking 24 hours a day for residents and was taken away by a deal LeFrak made with Morton Williams. By converting it to a metered parking street, the idea was to attract folks from outside Newport to the new grocer to drive up their business. Another key element of the deal was that we would no longer have the Farmers Market that used to set up shop on Town Square Place outside the PATH station. In reality, barely anyone parks on North Blvd. and it hasn't resulted in a boon in new business for Morton Williams so the residents lost about 40 on-street parking spaces and now have to park in the private garages at the tune of about $2,000 per year. This is real money where I come from. The NNA is addressing the reduced number of on-street parking spaces with an ordinance that will expand on-street parking on Washington Blvd. from Newport Parkway up to the A&P shopping center towards Hoboken. So there is a vibrant tenant's association in Newport and it's the NNA, lest you forget.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 23:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/23 0:58
Group:
Banned
I used to love everything about this place when I moved here. So much has changed in the last couple of years. These meters are horrible...the latest thing to convince me to move from Newport. The Management even made a metered parking spot out of a corner outside the Riverside building where the curb dips for wheelchairs, strollers, etc. So a car can park there and block a disabled person from getting down from the curb. Terrible.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Parking meters is a clear example of cityhall (Healy adminstration) unable to provide or foresee the need to provide adequate parking in the community - They had failed in town planning and population growth.

That's why its revenue raising - if it wasn't then cityhall would be looking at ways on creating public parking instead of leaving it to private companies who only look at money making ventures

Posted on: 2010/8/14 19:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
ROFL...and what a difference between Sherman PLACE and Sherman Ave., eh?

I sometimes regret not renting a huge 6 room apartment in the big building on Sherman Place a quarter block West of Summit. After 20 years of rent control I'd have the best bargain in the city.

There's also a River DRIVE, the very pretty main street in Newport parallelling the Hudson, and a River Street which is basically the one block long entrance to the Wilzig Hospital (Medical Center.)

Posted on: 2010/8/14 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Let me double check on that Heights. The road I am referring to is NOT one of the ringroads but rather a straight road down here that runs 2 or 3 blocks and has private metering for a couple years.

Yes, I know North Street in the Heights...I lived only a few blocks away.

Okay, I Googled and MapQuested it. They both show it called NORTH BOULEVARD (preposterous for a street that runs from 12th to 14th Streets.) I KNOW it used to be called North Street but this "boulevard" designation must mean they have plans to extend it Northwards when they build new towers in the Northeast Quadrant. Or else the City just changed the name to avoid the TWO North Streets. (I'll double check the street sign when I next walk by.)

Newport's North whatever actually has no actual buildings on it...just the entrances to a couple big garages.

There are many streets in J.C. that have the same name such as Sherman Place/Avenue. Van Reypen St. and Van Reipen Ave. So now there is a North St. and North Blvd.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Let me double check on that Heights. The road I am referring to is NOT one of the ringroads but rather a straight road down here that runs 2 or 3 blocks and has private metering for a couple years.

Yes, I know North Street in the Heights...I lived only a few blocks away.

Okay, I Googled and MapQuested it. They both show it called NORTH BOULEVARD (preposterous for a street that runs from 12th to 14th Streets.) I KNOW it used to be called North Street but this "boulevard" designation must mean they have plans to extend it Northwards when they build new towers in the Northeast Quadrant. Or else the City just changed the name to avoid the TWO North Streets. (I'll double check the street sign when I next walk by.)

Newport's North whatever actually has no actual buildings on it...just the entrances to a couple big garages.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Heights, PBW,
North Street is the couple block road that runs between the Thomas Jefferson and the Shore condos...sorta behind Morton Williams and parallel to the Hudson River. (I THINK it's still called that)

There is a North St. up in the Heights which is a 2 way street from Tonnelle Ave. to Nelson Ave. Then it is a one way going east to Kennedy Blvd. Is this ringroad actually called North St. because how can you have 2 streets with the same name spelled the same way and with the word street in both in the same town and are these ringroads called paper roads ?

Posted on: 2010/8/13 7:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The Newport Waterfront Association has thoroughly become for all intents and purposes what it always was, a non-elected non-entity representing nobody.

It's a shame because so large a block of tenants need representation to balance the immense power of a multi-billionaire landlord.

But petty internecine squabbling combined with a transient non-citizen tenant population has made any real tenants' association impossible. Anyone who tries to organize might as well put his head in a buzzsaw.

I also have wondered about the legality of private metering, and even more at the legality of "stealing" someone's car who forgets to pay a quarter for 5 minutes. Reminds me of those movies where towns had tollbooths...if you didn't pay, you were arrested, jailed and forced to appear before the judge, the brother of the guy who arrested you. Frontier justice, ala Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Wasn't the head of the Newport Waterfront Association assailing councilman Fulop for proposing metered parking in Newport (I believe along Washington)?

I really, really, wonder how she will react to this.

A nut reacts to all things the same way, nutty. I assuming her reaction will be no different this time around.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 14:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
So now each ringroad has about 20 ugly parking meters, soon to be operational so the landlord can collect some quarters.

these are private parking meters? is there such a thing?

Posted on: 2010/8/11 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Wasn't the head of the Newport Waterfront Association assailing councilman Fulop for proposing metered parking in Newport (I believe along Washington)?

I really, really, wonder how she will react to this.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Heights, PBW,

Ringroads at Newport are the large circular driveways surrounding a usually large lovely garden giving access to 3 or 4 towers each, sort of a private drive if you will. Each ringroad is about 5 or 6 city blocks in circumference and has a security station at it's opening to a "main road" like River Drive South or Newport Parkway. They are a nice amenity and allow you to look at a rarely travelled road and a pretty garden instead of constant traffic.

You drive clockwise around the road to drop off groceries or pick up passengers. So now each ringroad has about 20 ugly parking meters, soon to be operational so the landlord can collect some quarters. This from the richest private real estate fortune in America. I guess you get your billions by collecting quarters (and being given huge tracks of land by cities Scot FREE and freedom from taxes.)

North Street is the couple block road that runs between the Thomas Jefferson and the Shore condos...sorta behind Morton Williams and parallel to the Hudson River. (I THINK it's still called that)

Posted on: 2010/8/11 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
what is a ringroad meter?

Posted on: 2010/8/9 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just another way to make a grab for money for projects that are struggling. Standby for other 'extras' and fees to increase. I'm surprised that cityhall doesn't have more ticket machines or meters all over the place like around parks as a bullsiht way of user pays to park on city streets.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 22:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Lefrak has pulled some tacky moves in their day but this one takes the cake.
Bad enough private meters were put up along North Street?? But the ringroad meters just cheapens the area...like penny arcade living.
Does this company even have a clue how to spell even one letter of the word CLASS?

Can you explain more about this ringroad ? Where on North St. is it ? And where are the meters placed ?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 20:33

RINGROAD METERS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Lefrak has pulled some tacky moves in their day but this one takes the cake.
Bad enough private meters were put up along North Street?? But the ringroad meters just cheapens the area...like penny arcade living.

Does this company even have a clue how to spell even one letter of the word CLASS?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 15:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017