Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   7 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Water Quality in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I have been here pretty long and when Jersey City owned and operated its own system and the water was consistently from Boonton or Split Rocks the water quality was the best "out of tap" water I have ever tasted.
Since I started JC life in the close to highest point in the Heights, there were VERY frequent presure problems and sediment until they ran the new main into Whatsit Street pump station? (tiny street that runs only a block or two) near the old resevoir. That cleared up the pressure and the water was usually pristine.
Whenever I travelled anywhere I got to reappreciate how delicious JC water was and it even rivaled the Manhattan water, always claimed to be the best in the country (even by Consuumer Reports.) Worst water was always the salty tasting crap from the Shore locales, or some of the PA stuff that tasted like epsom salts because it was so hard.

When I moved down to Newport the water was even better because of the new pipes and always immense pressure. Ours stayed delicious even as New York City's deteriorated. I frequently taste test between the two.

But now, after Bret Schundler's disastrous mistake in selling the JC water system to American Water, or United Water or whatever it is called, I know there are switchovers and our supply occasionally comes from the Passaic River and I can taste the difference immediately.

I do pity those who must drink Passaic River water regularly becasue it is indeed pretty awful but so far our water is almost always pristine. Anyone who would choose to drink "plasticized water" instead, at a HUGE price I might add is being silly in my book. Any chemical comparison will show

Posted on: 2010/9/21 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
The tap water on Sussex is pretty bad tasting. I prefer to buy gallons of water then to drink the tap water.

Just as an aside - I think all the water in our house is pretty bad. I can scrub my toilets with bleach/cleanser and within two days there is a black ring in the bowl and a pink residue where the water sits. Pretty disgusting - and yes I do clean the holes under the rim but the build up of scum just doesn't end.....it's even in the faucets in the kitchen and baths. Take a paper towel and wipe the area where the water comes out....it will end up being black !

I think you'd be safer buying water bottles or a Brita - or installing one of those water filters.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pwens wrote:
Anyone have any idea as to the out-of-the-tap water quality in Jersey City? Just wondering if it's worth it to get one of those under the sink reverse osmosis water filters, or if city water (like some other major cities, like New York), is just fine as it is.

Have you tasted it? There's a heavy chlorine taste.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 19:14
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/20 17:37

Water Quality in Jersey City?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 22:10
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone have any idea as to the out-of-the-tap water quality in Jersey City? Just wondering if it's worth it to get one of those under the sink reverse osmosis water filters, or if city water (like some other major cities, like New York), is just fine as it is.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 16:28

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017