Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Noise from Concerts on Governors Island

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/6 23:04
Group:
Registered Users
Nope -- definitely Governor's Island. I've lived here for a while now and I notice a perfect correlation between the strobe lights on Governor's Island and the bass thumping I hear from my living room (as well as the schedule of DJs that are performing according to the website of the Beach Club)

Posted on: 2014/6/29 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There's also a concert at Pier 26, north of Battery Park City, that's part of the Gay Pride Festival.

http://www.nycgo.com/events/teaze

http://www.nycpride.org/events

Posted on: 2014/6/29 3:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/11 5:09
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We did a beautiful sail tonight to the statue and on the way to Manhattan we felt the vote vibrating from the music and realized it was from Governors Island; spectacular!

Resized Image

Sail NYC Sailboat & Speedboat Charter

Posted on: 2014/6/29 2:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, according to the below:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf

Commercial establishments that play music must limit the level of unreasonable or disturbing noise that escapes into the streets or is heard in nearby residences by requiring that sounds levels may not exceed:
? 42 decibels as measured from inside nearby residences,
AND
? 7 decibels over the ambient sound level, as measured on
a street or public right-of-way 15 feet or more from the
source, between 10:00 pm and 7:00 am

The latter requirement of 7 dB is equivalent to 5x the ambient sound level (10^(7/10) = 5). Compared to street level ambient noise in Paulus hook, I definitely think the noise from Governor's Island is 5x.

Obviously, I live in NJ, but I would hope the NYC code in spirit was meant to apply to anyone affected from NYC sources of noise.

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on this or if I'm way off base.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 2:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know this is an old thread, but this is still an ongoing issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same. For those of us living on the waterfront in Paulus Hook, there's a lot of LOUD bass noise coming from Governor's Island on evenings where there's an event at the Beach Club, which are typically house or trance concerts. These concerts are just a nuisance on Friday and Saturday nights, but when they happen on Sunday nights, they become a severe disturbance.

I recently filed a noise complaint at the NYC website at the following link:

http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/ser ... 49/noise-from-club-or-bar

I would highly recommend anyone that has experienced the same issue to file a complaint as well. Any thoughts are appreciated on how we can handle this beyond just putting tissue paper in our ears.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 1:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Buy some tissues. Use one tissue to soak up your tears, and another to stuff in your ears.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the event at Exchange Place and you could not hear the music unless you were a block away or closer, and even then it was not loud (you could have a conversation without shouting even within 30 feet of the band).

Unless someone lives in a weird place where the sound is magnified somehow from bouncing off buildings or something, I cannot imagine the noise was disruptive and it was over by like 11-11:30 which is not bad at all for a Saturday.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Another thread was just started with someone complaining about the noise of helicopters. Surely one is drowning the other out.

On a more serious note, JC is not the place to live if you insist on utter silence.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Promoters should have advertised here - I didn't even know about this.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
CatDog you beat (no pun intended) me to it by seconds...

First Shangri-La music festival kicks off this afternoon in Jersey City.

Published: Saturday, June 16, 2012, 3:00 PM Updated: Saturday, June 16, 2012, 3:05 PM
By The Jersey Journal

4th Street Arts is presenting Shangri-La on the Pier this afternoon at 3 p.m. on the J. Owen Grundy Pier in Jersey City, NJ. The inaugural year of this event promises amazing vistas and even more amazing music.

This concert will serve as a benefit for the restoration and beautification of Mary Benson Park located in ?The Village? section of Jersey City.

This multi phase project began in early May with a clean up and the installation of a new garden. The remaining phases include the creation of an Arts Exercise Path, a new playground, a new basketball court, more gardens, and an entertainment area.

For this project 4th Street Arts has partnered with the Village Neighborhood Association, the PTA from the #5 Elementary School, and the Jersey City Parks Department.

Brooklyn?s Monogold will headline the event. The avant-indie trio has garnered national attention as of late for their complex, astonishing soundscapes.

Jersey City native sons The One and Nines and Thomas Francis Takes His Chances bring a fresh take on funk/soul and eclectic indie mayhem.

Event sponsor, The Iron Monkey, located around the corner at 97 Greene Street Jersey City, NJ 07302 will host the official after-party with drink specials for ticketholders from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.

From JJ..

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... gri-la_music_festiva.html

Posted on: 2012/6/17 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
there was a music festival on the pier at Exchange Place last night.

I'd be amazed if you could hear the music from Governor's Island.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/6/17 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I thought this was my neighbor or something, and I was thinking who listens to this boom boom dance music? Is it really coming all the way from governors island? Anyway it didn't really bother me; I'm actually relieved to learn that this isn't one of my neighbors.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 13:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/13 14:27
From earth
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i heard the loud annoying bass from 3pm to 12am yesterday. not sure if it was from governor's island or maybe there was a wedding/event near by? maybe at maritime parc?

Posted on: 2012/6/17 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like fun....wish i could hear the music

Posted on: 2012/6/17 4:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone in JC hearing bass from the direction of Governors Island this evening (Saturday, June 16th)?

Posted on: 2012/6/17 3:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/23 0:58
Group:
Banned
That was really beyond acceptable for a Sunday night. With all my windows closed at 11 pm I could still hear the freakin' BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 18:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I was wondering if you all could help me. I'm looking for an apartment in DTJC but require certain amenities. First things first, NO KIDS! I can not stand to be annoyed by kids in parks playing ball and certainly will not tolerate teens out past curfew. Secondly, I must be within a few blocks of a high end supermarket such as trader joes or whole foods. To see Goya on the shelf absolutely disgusts me. Last but not least I must have complete silence. How dare the rest of the world live while I attempt to stock up on beauty rest! I refuse to pay top dollar to live a few miles from a City that Never Sleeps and still hear all their shinanigans. So if any of you know of any vacant farm houses in DTJC please reply. I know this seems like a lot to ask but I deserve all of it.....dont I?

love it. no one is complaining about the midnight garbage trucks... or the homeless or all of those urban pleasures that we have come to enjoy.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 3:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I can help you, but first you must clarify your position regarding Fresh Direct and their trucks that idle under your window for 10-20 minute periods. Please choose one: A. I hate FD and would never order from them and have disdain for anyone who does. B. OMG! OMG! I LOVE FD!!!! C. I hate FD and their idling, polluting trucks unless it's me they are delivering to, then it's "OK".

I haven't tried it yet but I would have to go with C. Cause its all about me.

Seriously tho...How is FD?

Posted on: 2010/9/22 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I was wondering if you all could help me. I'm looking for an apartment in DTJC but require certain amenities. First things first, NO KIDS! I can not stand to be annoyed by kids in parks playing ball and certainly will not tolerate teens out past curfew. Secondly, I must be within a few blocks of a high end supermarket such as trader joes or whole foods. To see Goya on the shelf absolutely disgusts me. Last but not least I must have complete silence. How dare the rest of the world live while I attempt to stock up on beauty rest! I refuse to pay top dollar to live a few miles from a City that Never Sleeps and still hear all their shinanigans. So if any of you know of any vacant farm houses in DTJC please reply. I know this seems like a lot to ask but I deserve all of it.....dont I?

I can help you, but first you must clarify your position regarding Fresh Direct and their trucks that idle under your window for 10-20 minute periods.

Please choose one:

A. I hate FD and would never order from them and have disdain for anyone who does.

B. OMG! OMG! I LOVE FD!!!!

C. I hate FD and their idling, polluting trucks unless it's me they are delivering to, then it's "OK".

Posted on: 2010/9/21 13:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/21 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
What would happen if I "broke wind" I wonder?

Posted on: 2010/9/20 23:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I looked at the weather conditions last night around 11pm - 12am. Newark was reporting zero wind in the 11pm hour, JFK was reporting zero wind in the 12am hour.

There is an effect called coherent addition that can occur over a ground with perfect reflection (e.g. water) and no atmospheric turbulence (e.g. wind).

According to one academic paper on this subject, the receiver hears two sources, actual and reflected, effectively doubling the sound pressure. I wonder if the still atmosphere allowed something like this to occur between GI and DTJC last night?

Given the variables selected in my previous post, that would bring us up to approx. 70dB which would absolutely be audible near the river in DTJC.

source: http://tinyurl.com/3xv3979

historical weather:

Newark: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KEWR.html
JFK: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KJFK.html

Posted on: 2010/9/20 21:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 23:48
Group:
Registered Users
Nope, there was in fact a god awful concert/event last night:

BELIEVE IN BORIS | Sunday September 19 @ Governors Island at The Beach At Governors Island Sunday September 19 Pacha NYC & Dance.Here.Now presents.. BELIEVE IN BORIS @ Governors Island! Hosted by Alan T. You Boris fans, we know you've been waiting! Your favorite DJ takes his turn on the increasingly legendary Island, fresh off a Classics set fit for a "Warrior." Come join the whole Believe gang for a night you won't forget, at a venue you can't miss. 21+ to Enter with valid ID. Rain date: September 19. Doors 6pm - 12 midnight. For VIP Tables Message Priscilla Here: http://www.facebook.com/priscillaaaaa | GET TICKETS HERE: http://www.clubtickets.com/us/2010-09 ... in-boris-governors-island Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:
What do you live on a houseboat in the marina?

Seriously. I live very close to the marina and I've never heard anything from Governors Island. Anyhoo - fear not. The last concert of the season was on the 11th. Not sure what you heard yesterday to provoke your post, but it wasn't from GI: http://bit.ly/9e97TI

Posted on: 2010/9/20 20:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 23:48
Group:
Registered Users
Holy cr$p, I thought it was just me. How are they allowed to blast dance music until midnight on a Sunday? This has been going on all summer. It is in fact coming from Govenors Island, we can see the strobe lights from our apartment.

If we can hear it, the residents in downtown Manhattan must be going out of their minds.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
I think there are some party boats that blast music very very loudly... that might be what you're hearing. GI is pretty far away.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 18:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
These concerts on Governors Island can be very loud. I was traveling North in Buttermilk Channel (East of GI) a few weeks ago and was surprised by the level of music volume heard when I was over one thousand feet away from the island.

The distance from the closest point on GI to DTJC is approx. 1.5 miles. I did a quick search on sound attenuation by distance, I come up with a value of roughly 80dB(A).

Have a look at the links below. A loud rock concert is estimated at 115dB. Subtract the 80dB attenuation value for the 1.5 mile distance and you end up around 35dB.

It seems possible that you can hear the music in DTJC, but at the levels that you suggest either the source volume is over 115dB (possible) or there are some other environmental factors (wind speed / direction) taking place.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
http://tinyurl.com/2b227hl

Posted on: 2010/9/20 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Boiled_Mussels wrote:

Seriously. I live very close to the marina and I've never heard anything from Governors Island. Anyhoo - fear not. The last concert of the season was on the 11th. Not sure what you heard yesterday to provoke your post, but it wasn't from GI: http://bit.ly/9e97TI

Posted on: 2010/9/20 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

whammer wrote:
Is there anything that can be done about the incessant noise from the concerts on governors island heard in downtown JC every weekend? This is ridiculous, it is 11:30 on a Sunday night and I can hear the bass through closed windows!

Posted on: 2010/9/20 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I never hear noise from gov's island. I guess the fireworks block it out. Yay!

Posted on: 2010/9/20 16:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/28 15:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whammer wrote:
Is there anything that can be done about the incessant noise from the concerts on governors island heard in downtown JC every weekend? This is ridiculous, it is 11:30 on a Sunday night and I can hear the bass through closed windows!

You can move to the 'burbs.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 15:21

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017