Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: It is illegal to poison animals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
my cat seemed a lot happier when he was indoor-outdoor (I lived in a suburb. that pet door was a godsend.) but after he brought home his second dead robin, those roaming privileges were suspended.

Yeah, I know that one. Actually, I don't mind the dead ones as much as the live ones our hunter brings in the cat door and releases! Still, the pluses like their obvious joy at being allowed outdoors and our joy at a barely used litter box outweigh the feathery downside. More troubling is when he decided to ranch mice indoors for his amusement during the cold months by bringing them in and releasing them. We had no rodents in the whole building till he did this. I hope the cat on the 4th floor is duly grateful.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote: Quote:
20 Reasons to Keep Your Cat Indoors
I know this is kinda unPC, but all those reasons are for US to enjoy our cats company longer, not for their benefit. I've had 2 indoor cats that became outdoor cats at 10, and currently have 2 middle aged outdoor cats. I'm positive if you could ask any of them if they'd trade shorter life for being able to go outdoors they'd say yes in a heartbeat. Indoor cats are bored to death, outdoors is endless stimulation for an animal bred by evolution to watch for every motion. Even my fat, dumb, lazy cat loves to just sit in garden and watch the clouds, birds and squirrels. We rescued him as a tiny feral kitten and every moment of his life for him is a gift to be enjoyed, not endured, at best waiting for something interesting to happen outside the window till someone comes home. This does sound trollish, and I'm certainly not saying people who can't, or choose not to, let their cats out shouldn't have them, but it's food for thought, especially when you globalize it to overprotective modern parenting. When I teach my son to whitewater kayak the thought passes through my head that I'm setting him on the path to something that could take his life one day. But probably not. And I agree, randomly poisoning wildlife is criminal.
my cat seemed a lot happier when he was indoor-outdoor (I lived in a suburb. that pet door was a godsend.) but after he brought home his second dead robin, those roaming privileges were suspended.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I know this is kinda unPC, but all those reasons are for US to enjoy our cats company longer, not for their benefit. I've had 2 indoor cats that became outdoor cats at 10, and currently have 2 middle aged outdoor cats. I'm positive if you could ask any of them if they'd trade shorter life for being able to go outdoors they'd say yes in a heartbeat. Indoor cats are bored to death, outdoors is endless stimulation for an animal bred by evolution to watch for every motion. Even my fat, dumb, lazy cat loves to just sit in garden and watch the clouds, birds and squirrels. We rescued him as a tiny feral kitten and every moment of his life for him is a gift to be enjoyed, not endured, at best waiting for something interesting to happen outside the window till someone comes home. This does sound trollish, and I'm certainly not saying people who can't, or choose not to, let their cats out shouldn't have them, but it's food for thought, especially when you globalize it to overprotective modern parenting. When I teach my son to whitewater kayak the thought passes through my head that I'm setting him on the path to something that could take his life one day. But probably not. And I agree, randomly poisoning wildlife is criminal.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 22:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lunawolf3 wrote:
This is just horrible I am am so deeply sorry for your horrific loss.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

This list was developed over a lifetime of experiences with many, many cats. Each and every item on this list happens every day. The best policy is to keep your cat inside
Cars - Thousands of cats get hit by cars every year. If they are lucky, they die instantly.
Car engines - Cats seek warmth. In the winter they tend to climb up inside car engines where they can be subsequently ground up.
Anti-freeze - Cats like the sweet taste of anti-freeze, and they will lick it if able. Anti-freeze is extremely toxic and your cat will die a painful death within hours of ingesting it. It can take less than a teaspoon to kill a full-size cat or dog!
Poisoning - There are people who don't like cats and will set out poison on their property. Others may put poison out to get rid of other wildlife that wanders onto their property and your cat may accidentally ingest it.
Fighting - Your cat could be killed by dogs, raccoons, or other wildlife. Some people train their dogs to attack and kill cats.
Fighting Part II - Believe it or not, cats can kill each other during their fights.
FELV - Feline Leukemia destroys a cat's immune system. It is transmitted through body fluids. Even a sneeze can pass the virus from one cat to another. The vaccine for FELV is only 70 to 75% effective. Cats infected usually die within two years.
FIV - Feline Immunosuppressive Virus also destroys a cat's immune system. It is transmitted through body fluids and cuts a cat's lifespan in half. There is no vaccination for FIV.
FIP - Feline Infectious Peritonitis. FIP is always 100% fatal. Tests and vaccines for FIP are not reliable.
Animal Abuse - Cats are often shot with BB guns; burned with lighters, firecrackers; tortured by people causing loss of limbs, eyes, etc.
Starving to Death - People think that because they have lived in the same house for a number of years that their cat is too smart to wander off and get lost. NOT TRUE. People also think that because their cat has never left the front yard that it go any farther. NOT TRUE.
Getting Trapped - Your cat could get lost in somebody else's garage or utility shed. He could suffer brain damage if trapped in extreme heat or could suffer frostbite if trapped in extreme cold.
Research Labs - Your cat could get stolen and sold to a research lab. This practice does go on.
Parasitic Infections - Your cat could eat something (rat, mouse, bird) and die of a parasitic infection
SPCA - Your cat could get taken in by someone thinking it is a stray. They might keep your cat or take it to the SPCA where it may be euthanized.
Unintentional Poisoning - By pesticides, lawn products, etc.
Fleas, ticks, worms, ringworm - Your cat could transmit these to other pets and people in the household.
Drowning - Your cat could accidentally fall in a swimming pool and drown.
Spraying - When cats go outside they smell other cats' territorial markings. This may prompt your cat to start spraying inside the house to mark his territory.

Under "unintentional poisoning," don't forget rock salt. We saw it everywhere this winter, and any animal licking its salt-encrusted paws after coming inside will die. We have a toddler, and I was especially careful to take off boots just inside the front door as to not track the rock salt inside, run the dustbuster over the mat by the door periodically, etc.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, then. I'll have to trust the cat owners. I'm glad that's all it was...

Posted on: 2011/3/11 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a close up shot of kitty litter - looks pretty close to me:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/3/10 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
That was my reaction too -- it looked like someone spilled some Feline Pine. I believe commercially available pellets are usually blue or bright green...but who knows what someone could whip up themselves. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for calling about it and protecting neighborhood animals!

Posted on: 2011/3/10 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously, I don't know how they determined what it was but it does look exactly like a very common type of cat litter. It's what I thought of immediately, looking at that picture.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I was *told* that a person who lived in the condo complex (the converted temple) on 5th was putting out poison.

Ok, so there are these same 'pellets' all over the ground in front of the same condos again. I don't know what they are, so beware. I called the city today and they said that they're sending an inspector out there.

see photo

I called the city back. They said they sent someone from JCIA over there and they said that it was not poison, but they *think* it was cat litter. I asked them how they made that determination, but I didn't get a satisfactory answer. They said the substance was cleaned up, anyway.

So I will keep an eye out and if i see it again, I will call the NJ Poison Control next time (thanks for the info, jerseymom).

Posted on: 2011/3/10 18:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
ECH, I'm so sorry you lost your pet. total bummer.

I have a sort of sad animal poison story myself, although not related to a pet, I will tell it here, so others can avoid my mistake.

Last year my landlord sent an exterminator in because people were complaining about mice. I didn't really pay attention to what the exterminator was going to do, and I don't think I paid much notice, until while cleaning months later I found a little blue packet of some type of poison behind a piece of furniture. I threw that one away, not knowing how many more were strewn about the apartment. At one point during the summer I made the mistake of leaving the window that leads out to my fire escape open. (I have some pots of herbs out there that I water periodically) I left the apartment and came back to find one of those little blue packets on top of a trunk near the window, torn apart. It looked really torn apart -- more than what I would suspect of a mouse.

I had a cute lil' squirrel that would visit my fire escape. Sometimes he would dig in my herbs a bit, but I didn't mind because he was sort of darling and quite the acrobat on the telephone wires. Well, I think lil' squirrely--as we came to call him--was actually lured into my apartment that day by the scent of this poison. I saw him later, out on the fire escape, shaking like a squirrel with severe Parkinson's disease. He looked really messed up; he was actually swerving around like a drunk, leering over the edge of the fire escape. It sounds funny, but it was really sad at the time. I felt a bit responsible, although it never occured to me that this poison could lure an animal into my apartment! Then I never saw this particular squirrel again.

I would prefer just trapping a few mice a year (and yes killing them), then having this poison strewn indiscriminately around my apartment. Occasionally I care for my mother's dog. What would have happened if she came across one of these packets? I guess my message is to be aware of what it may mean when your landlord says he is "sending an exterminator."

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
That's great you were able to get photographs. I highly recommend you contact NJPIES - that's the NJ Poison Control Center. They are the #1 experts on situations like this and they handle poisoning of pets as well.

Link to Pet Poisoning Information - NJPIES

I have contacted these folks before and they are just terrific. Please keep us updated.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
Quote:

tamard wrote:
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I saw reward signs posted on 4th street regarding the animal posioning. I was *told* that a person who lived in the condo complex (the converted temple) on 5th was putting out poison. Pure hearsay, but maybe some posters on 5th Street might help.

I live on 5th a few houses form the condo you describe and I walk my dog passed there multiple times a day. I have not heard about this. Is there any truth to this?

When I was told this, there were some kind of pellets around the bases of the trees in front, so I kept my dog clear.

Ok, so there are these same 'pellets' all over the ground in front of the same condos again. I don't know what they are, so beware. I called the city today and they said that they're sending an inspector out there.

see photo

Posted on: 2011/3/10 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tamard wrote:
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I saw reward signs posted on 4th street regarding the animal posioning. I was *told* that a person who lived in the condo complex (the converted temple) on 5th was putting out poison. Pure hearsay, but maybe some posters on 5th Street might help.

I live on 5th a few houses form the condo you describe and I walk my dog passed there multiple times a day. I have not heard about this. Is there any truth to this?

When I was told this, there were some kind of pellets around the bases of the trees in front, so I kept my dog clear.

Wouldn't hurt to have a flyer or two in that area...

Posted on: 2010/9/21 22:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/21 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
How tragic and horrible, ECH. I hope they find who's doing this as this is so cruel. Is it possible that it is connected with the construction going with that building on the corner of 3rd/Erie?

Posted on: 2010/9/19 3:03
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ECH wrote:
In New Jersey, it is illegal to kill/abuse animals,
other than rats and mice. There is a huge
fine and often jail time involved with this crime.
I have put flyers in the nabe, alerting folks
to what is going on.

I live on Third Street, near Erie.
My little manx cat, less than a year old , was killed
this week by poison. It was a horrible thing to witness.

The vet told me she has seen a strong uptick
in pet poisonings of late. She suspects that
there are people putting poison out to kill
the opossums and raccoons that everyone is
so exercised about. Unfortunately, the poisons
are killing other peoples' pets as well. Apparently,
there are new poisons that smell especially
good, so animals of all sorts are attracted
to them, not just vermin. In the old days,
rat poison smelled and tasted awful --and
it was hard to fool the smart rats and mice.
No so now.

If you want to get rid of backyard foragers,
keep your yards and porches free of food.
Raccoons can be trapped and taken off.
Opossums are totally harmless; just keep
your doors closed so they don't wander in.
If there is no food around, you will not
have scavengers.

Even using poison to kill raccoons and
opossums is a disgusting thing to do.
Do we all know what death by poison
looks like? I watched my little cat
vomiting bloody foam and convulsing
and then going into a coma; by the
time we got him to the vet, it was
all over. In the space of three days,
he went from being this vibrant
little animal to being a tiny sick
lump groaning in agony and
coughing up his guts.
What kind of sociopath would
cause this, i ask myself.
I would like to give the poisoner
a dose of his own medicine.

Pleases, please: if you know of or
suspect that someone is putting poison
down

Ech, This is horrible, I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
It's illegal to purposely poison any wildlife. Animal cruelty is a criminal offense in the State of New Jersey.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is just horrible I am am so deeply sorry for your horrific loss.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

This list was developed over a lifetime of experiences with many, many cats. Each and every item on this list happens every day. The best policy is to keep your cat inside
Cars - Thousands of cats get hit by cars every year. If they are lucky, they die instantly.
Car engines - Cats seek warmth. In the winter they tend to climb up inside car engines where they can be subsequently ground up.
Anti-freeze - Cats like the sweet taste of anti-freeze, and they will lick it if able. Anti-freeze is extremely toxic and your cat will die a painful death within hours of ingesting it. It can take less than a teaspoon to kill a full-size cat or dog!
Poisoning - There are people who don't like cats and will set out poison on their property. Others may put poison out to get rid of other wildlife that wanders onto their property and your cat may accidentally ingest it.
Fighting - Your cat could be killed by dogs, raccoons, or other wildlife. Some people train their dogs to attack and kill cats.
Fighting Part II - Believe it or not, cats can kill each other during their fights.
FELV - Feline Leukemia destroys a cat's immune system. It is transmitted through body fluids. Even a sneeze can pass the virus from one cat to another. The vaccine for FELV is only 70 to 75% effective. Cats infected usually die within two years.
FIV - Feline Immunosuppressive Virus also destroys a cat's immune system. It is transmitted through body fluids and cuts a cat's lifespan in half. There is no vaccination for FIV.
FIP - Feline Infectious Peritonitis. FIP is always 100% fatal. Tests and vaccines for FIP are not reliable.
Animal Abuse - Cats are often shot with BB guns; burned with lighters, firecrackers; tortured by people causing loss of limbs, eyes, etc.
Starving to Death - People think that because they have lived in the same house for a number of years that their cat is too smart to wander off and get lost. NOT TRUE. People also think that because their cat has never left the front yard that it go any farther. NOT TRUE.
Getting Trapped - Your cat could get lost in somebody else's garage or utility shed. He could suffer brain damage if trapped in extreme heat or could suffer frostbite if trapped in extreme cold.
Research Labs - Your cat could get stolen and sold to a research lab. This practice does go on.
Parasitic Infections - Your cat could eat something (rat, mouse, bird) and die of a parasitic infection
SPCA - Your cat could get taken in by someone thinking it is a stray. They might keep your cat or take it to the SPCA where it may be euthanized.
Unintentional Poisoning - By pesticides, lawn products, etc.
Fleas, ticks, worms, ringworm - Your cat could transmit these to other pets and people in the household.
Drowning - Your cat could accidentally fall in a swimming pool and drown.
Spraying - When cats go outside they smell other cats' territorial markings. This may prompt your cat to start spraying inside the house to mark his territory.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 2:44

It is illegal to poison animals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
In New Jersey, it is illegal to kill/abuse animals,
other than rats and mice. There is a huge
fine and often jail time involved with this crime.
I have put flyers in the nabe, alerting folks
to what is going on.

I live on Third Street, near Erie.
My little manx cat, less than a year old , was killed
this week by poison. It was a horrible thing to witness.

The vet told me she has seen a strong uptick
in pet poisonings of late. She suspects that
there are people putting poison out to kill
the opossums and raccoons that everyone is
so exercised about. Unfortunately, the poisons
are killing other peoples' pets as well. Apparently,
there are new poisons that smell especially
good, so animals of all sorts are attracted
to them, not just vermin. In the old days,
rat poison smelled and tasted awful --and
it was hard to fool the smart rats and mice.
No so now.

If you want to get rid of backyard foragers,
keep your yards and porches free of food.
Raccoons can be trapped and taken off.
Opossums are totally harmless; just keep
your doors closed so they don't wander in.
If there is no food around, you will not
have scavengers.

Even using poison to kill raccoons and
opossums is a disgusting thing to do.
Do we all know what death by poison
looks like? I watched my little cat
vomiting bloody foam and convulsing
and then going into a coma; by the
time we got him to the vet, it was
all over. In the space of three days,
he went from being this vibrant
little animal to being a tiny sick