Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Elementary Schools

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 18:19
Group:
Registered Users
The only thing I can tell you about PS #25 is that it's P-K thru 5th grade, I believe. Once your child hits 6th grade they will have to attend the middle school over on Laidlaw Avenue or apply to one of the AP middle school programs further down in Jersey City (which they are NOT bused to).

Good Luck

Posted on: 2010/9/7 19:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/12 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone happen to have any info on No. 25 - Nicolas Copernicus? We just looked at a place we really liked in that zone but haven't heard anything about this school....

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/9/7 17:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/4 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
my children attend public school in jersey city and they are doing very well, but like another poster said, that's because i give them support. any child can excel anywhere with the proper parental support. my oldest daughter has adhd and she was maintaining straight c's in the public school system before i even knew what she was dealing with, so for me to be able to say that is a GOOD thing because people hear many bad things about the schools we have here however she WAS maintaining there with other delays and issues. my younger daughter maintains straight a's and the occasional b.

i definitely think you can give ps 28 a try, however do not let a month go by when you don't ask about your child's progress IN PERSON, and don't be afraid to speak up for her when you are unsure about something pertaining to her grades, behavior, dress, etc. my mom just retired aqfter 30 years in jc public schools as a prek-3 teacher, and she gave me those and other tips...and they really will help you along.

if push comes to shove and you want to change her school, then you are allowed to do so under no child left behind IF public school 28 is labeled as a failing school in need of improvement, which it is i believe. if they give you a hard time, don't be afraid to go to the board on claremont avenue and voice your complaint. i have done so before and my daughters teachers know that i mean business when it comes to them and their education. once they know you mean business, they will begin to regard you as a caring parent, believe me. most teachers here are well qualified for the position they are in and are deserving of a chance of teaching your child. so dont be afraid to give them a try!

Posted on: 2010/8/30 23:08
no matter what, i'm luvin my jc!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/14 17:06
Group:
Registered Users
My son will be starting Pre-K at PS 28 (Christa McAuliffe school) in a couple of weeks, which is the school we are zoned for--I admit to being a little nervous about it, the school report card grades are quite low. When I told my neighbors he would be attending there, the reaction was kind of like uh--really? Most of the school-age children in our area that I know have gotten lucky enough to "win" the lottery for Learning Community Charter School, or they go to Hoboken Catholic, which is walking distance from me (via the light rail elevator). Honestly I am planning to enter lotteries for Learning Community and Ethical Community charters for K (those schools don't offer Pre-K) and hoping PS-28 is a 1 year thing, but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/26 0:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How funny ricco - I'm sure we do pass by each other - regularly!

Thanks for the site - this will be a tremendous help in following up on all the schools suggested so far.

Thanks everyone!!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 19:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I just wanted to mention that PS27 is one of the few schools in the area that do K thru 8th grade. A lot of the schools turned to k-5 and the 6th thru 8th grades go to one of the middle schools.....just something to think about.
I like having my kids in the same school until 8th grade....

Posted on: 2010/8/25 19:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are bountry lines for which school you can attend within Jersey City, however, you can request admission to another school within the district under the "No Child Left Behind" law. This doesn't mean that you will be granted acceptance to the school your asking for however. It depends if there is room etc. Like I said before, I'm very happy with PS27 and as you can see, since you walk past it everyday, it's in a decent area. Funny, but I would bet my bottom dollar that you and I probably pass each on the streets since I also walk past it on my way to bus every morning.....

If your interested just go to www.jcboe.org and click on the dropdown menu for schools. Click on the school of your choice and each school lists a "map" which shows the areas they service.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Learning Community Charter School, by Lincoln Park, is an outstanding public school in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info! I actually walk by that school everyday.
We live in Western Slope now although not sure if this will be the neighborhood we purchase in.

Do you know how enrollment works? Say - do we need to live in Western slope to attend this school? (Or any school for that matter)

I'm so unfamiliar w/ this system. Where I'm from in PA if you live in the neighborhood - there's one school and that is where you go. I'm assuming that's not how it works up here??

Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I too grew up in the Heights great area, decent people. The northern and western area of the Heights is most appealing. I went to 27 school, back then it was terrific not sure how it is today but if you have a doubts send your child to catholic school such as St. Anne's on the Boulevard or any private school. I hear it is diverse so there may be some culture shock and different cuts of cloth. Hopefully the common ground will be education.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello -

All three of my children attend PS #27 in the Heights. Both my husband and I were born and raised in the Western Slope area and both attended and graduated from PS27.

Honestly, I have no problem with the school, have never had a problem with the neighborhood or other students. All three of my children are in advanced placement classes, etc.

I'm not 100% but I do not believe that there is ANY school within Jersey City that isn't listed as a "failing school". That doesn't make it a bad school, in my opinion since there is so much (or little?) that go towards the testing and placement.

I am a firm believer that a child can succeed in whatever school they are in so long as they have great parental support behind them.

Take care and good luck!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 17:56

JC Elementary Schools

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We're looking at buying a place in the heights section of JC. Does anyone have any info on elementary schools in the area? (Public schools only)

All the great schools ratings are terrible (if the school is even rated) It makes me nervous to consider purchasing a property in the area as my daughter will be school age in a few years.

Any insight on which schools are the best, which ones to avoid, etc would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also - if there are any other outstanding elementary schools in other parts of jersey city - I'd be interested in that as well.

We've been renting in the heights for about 5 years now and it seems to us the quietest and safe area of the city to raise a family but we are far from versed on all sections of JC as a whole...

Thanks !

Posted on: 2010/8/25 17:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017