Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/19 10:01
Group:
Registered Users
from Fulop's email today:

NEWARK AVENUE STREETSCAPE
The Newark Avenue Streetscape project from Coles Street to Summit Avenue will be mobilizing beginning November of this year. We do not expect much action this year since winter shut down is approaching fast. Most likely, the major construction will take place beginning Spring of 2011.

Christopher Columbus Drive Streetscape Project Update
Monmouth to Warren Street: Zuccaro Contractor is moving along very well with the new concrete curb and sidewalk construction, installing the new traffic signals and the other improvements. Per the latest attached project schedule, we anticipate milling and paving CCD before Christmas of this year.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
New awning just went up on the Saffron building at 217 Newark Ave. Looks great! New Real estate office looks nice too!

Posted on: 2010/10/11 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
oh and a chipotle!

Posted on: 2010/10/11 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Speaking of ugly storefronts: the Fish with Braids gallery. Giant decrepit teapot port-o-potty has to go. Old toilets as planters? That's novel, once, at your own goddamn house. Takeit from me, because I pissed on Marcel Duchamp's headstone at The Louvre and I wrote the introduction to Dominique Laporte's A History of Shit.

it's not hurting anyone. it's a gallery, we should let them do whatever they think is artistic. i dont get it either, but just because a few people think it's ugly doesnt mean artists shouldnt express themselves outside the storefront that they pay for.

even if we got down to 3 dollar stores, newark ave would be much nicer. and although i am more in favor of local businesses i think the area could benefit from having a store like urban outfitters. the empty spot next to duane reade would be perfect.

Posted on: 2010/10/11 13:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 2:44
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Any updates on the bidding and when work might start on Newark Avenue Streetcape Part Deux? Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of ugly storefronts: the Fish with Braids gallery. Giant decrepit teapot port-o-potty has to go. Old toilets as planters? That's novel, once, at your own goddamn house. Takeit from me, because I pissed on Marcel Duchamp's headstone at The Louvre and I wrote the introduction to Dominique Laporte's A History of Shit.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Yea yea I know .... we desreve better we live here now, like its so effing horrible downtown now, place looks like park slope for god sake.

Quote:

heights wrote:
It does have that Park Slope touch to it.

Can you clarify something for me? Are you saying that downtown JC looks/feels like Park Slope or that Newark Ave looks/feels like the Aves in Park Slope?

Also, NYC is cutting back on the number of street fairs it will have. I guess the cost of shutting down the streets, setting and cleaning up, and providing emergency services for these events has hit the city in the pocketbook.

To clarify I meant the demographic.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Yea yea I know .... we desreve better we live here now, like its so effing horrible downtown now, place looks like park slope for god sake.

Quote:

heights wrote:
It does have that Park Slope touch to it.

Can you clarify something for me? Are you saying that downtown JC looks/feels like Park Slope or that Newark Ave looks/feels like the Aves in Park Slope?

Also, NYC is cutting back on the number of street fairs it will have. I guess the cost of shutting down the streets, setting and cleaning up, and providing emergency services for these events has hit the city in the pocketbook.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 14:09
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Hey maybe if we wish hard enough they will turn the discount stores and 99cent stores on Newark ave into organic designer cupcake factories and ray-ban and vespa super stores. Jesus Christmas, shut up already and be glad it dosnt look like Broad St in Newark with endless hip hop clothing stores. Yea yea I know .... we desreve better we live here now, like its so effing horrible downtown now, place looks like park slope for god sake. Everybody wants the urban label without certain urban qualities.

It does have that Park Slope touch to it. Why not have a huge street fair like they do in all of the 5 boros Nyc is always having some sort of a street fair no matter where you go. 5th Ave. in Park Slope does one at least once a year with outside street vendors.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 10:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
And its hard to find a non-logo hat nowadays!

Posted on: 2010/8/21 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Hey maybe if we wish hard enough they will turn the discount stores and 99cent stores on Newark ave into organic designer cupcake factories and ray-ban and vespa super stores. Jesus Christmas, shut up already and be glad it dosnt look like Broad St in Newark with endless hip hop clothing stores. Yea yea I know .... we desreve better we live here now, like its so effing horrible downtown now, place looks like park slope for god sake. Everybody wants the urban label without certain urban qualities.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm just suggesting that you appreciate this storefront as the work of art that it is. A diamond as it were, perhaps in need of a different setting. All you locations scouts for indie (or YouTube) films, take note!

WORK OF ART?

Are you kidding. Ever walk by there in the evenings and on the weekends? They have tables out.

Look closely and you will find glass crack pipes and those metal pot pipes... all of course mixed in with toys and belts... I've seen it myself and was like WTF.

Also... look closely at their signage. Who the HELL has BEEPERS anymore. Beepers? Seriously? I think everyone has moved on to more advanced technology.

THIS STORE NEEDS A MAKEOVER. Big time. And transplanting it to Williamsburg will not make it a trendy store.

(haven't seen ANY hipsters in there anyway).

FG

Posted on: 2010/8/21 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Its the context and the lens through which you view things.
We all know that if you lifted that storefront, plopped it down in Williamsburg in front of a cafe filled with hipsters, everyone would think that it was the coolest thing.

There are lots of examples that I pass in Soho, but the place that pops into my mind (because it was my old neighborhood) is Live Bait on 23rd. There must be a name for the style, but I don't know it. Its basically presenting something lowly as being exalted,
but with a wink. Like the wall in Marco & Pepe's. Or, come to think of it, El Teddy's and Carmelita's Reception Room.

I'm just suggesting that you appreciate this storefront as the work of art that it is. A diamond as it were, perhaps in need of a different setting. All you locations scouts for indie (or YouTube) films, take note!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Nikol, Thanks for the info, I appreciate you filling us in on the complexities that were in play with the streetscape. While it makes sense that trees could not be installed due to the vault situation, I must admit I was very dissapointed with the way the streetscape looks without the trees! It's amazing how much those missing trees would have aded to the overall look and feel of Newark Ave. I also agree with your feelings on the gates, they do add bleakness to the area. In addition, some of the businesses storefronts and signs still look raggedy like this one:
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikol wrote:
..things still look so bleak down there ... because of the stupid gates on the businesses. I don't know about you guys, but those gates make me feel uneasy. They are unnecessary now and I think if we could get business owners to at least try it out, you would be able to look into store fronts even when they are closed and it would not be like walking down the street in an Eastern block country.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I recall reading just recently on this site that Jersey Ave Wines & Liquors had been broken into for (I think) the third time. Nelson had gates up when he owned the place.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/28 17:33
Group:
Registered Users
The first thing I'd like to address is the tree issue. Most of you probably don't know, but most of Newark Ave's sidewalks (from Grove to Barrow) have vaults underneath them. This prohibited the City from utilizing cobblestone or any other material that would be heavier than the sidewalk that is there now. I agree, the sidewalks could have been done better, even with the restrictions..but that is beside the point. These vaults don't allow for trees to be planted along Newark Ave. which is why planters were placed there with trees that were appropriate for an urban setting. Originally the pots were supposed to measure 4ft in diameter, but at that size, they would have taken too much room up on the side walks, so they sized them down to 3ft.
As for the closing of the Newark Ave from Barrow to Grove, that is still something that is being tossed around amongst the business owners on that block and the City. Business owners are nervous that it will have a negative impact on their businesses, however, more are getting on board with the idea of at least trying it out on weekends.
I get that things could have been done better with the Streetscape plan...everything has room for improvement. But I think the reason things still look so bleak down there is because of the stupid gates on the businesses. I don't know about you guys, but those gates make me feel uneasy. They are unnecessary now and I think if we could get business owners to at least try it out, you would be able to look into store fronts even when they are closed and it would not be like walking down the street in an Eastern block country.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 16:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like so many of us agree, except the powers that be. Getting them to actually do something or set the ball in motion is the real challenge.

Worth a read:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article766908.ece

Posted on: 2010/8/18 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
I don't have time to list them or link them, but there are many, many similar set-ups where the merchants were initially against closing a street to vehicular traffic and making it pedestrian only.

After the fact, they are thrilled with the results which have improved the areas in just about every way. In just about every case, they would NEVER go back to a trafficked street.

One only has to look at the facades of the enterprises on the south side (who for some reason didn't get to participate in the facade program for the north side) to realize that they have no ability to see how externalities, whether investing in their storefronts or having a pedestrian plaza, might improve their businesses. I'll bet even those who though it might improve business feared they might get their rent raised.

People just fear change, I sure do!

Posted on: 2010/8/18 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
I don't have time to list them or link them, but there are many, many similar set-ups where the merchants were initially against closing a street to vehicular traffic and making it pedestrian only.

After the fact, they are thrilled with the results which have improved the areas in just about every way. In just about every case, they would NEVER go back to a trafficked street.

The scale and character of the pedestrian friendly street is what makes old Europe so enjoyable to be in and what Bloomberg is trying to emulate in NYC.

It is also why, IMO, the idea of leaving the passage between Newark and CCD where that building burnt down (the 'paseo' proposal) seemed like a great idea and would have only helped the area. Anyone who just sees that space as an alley does not have vision or an understanding that some of the best urban spaces are the 'leftover' spaces between buildings..... but I digress....

Posted on: 2010/8/17 23:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
First of all I currently see no, or at least very few, trees on Newark Ave. between Jersey Ave and Grove Street.

Secondly, that strip of Newark Ave between Jersey and Grove really SHOULD be pedestrian-only. Is there really a need for vehicular traffic there? For what, to go and make a right on Grove Street?? Those very few drivers that would do that can just turn right on Jersey and left on Columbus.

There's some pathetic tiny potted trees.

As for traffic, I've been told that the merchants freak out at the idea of even making it one way, never mind traffic free, they think people just driving by and in buses are their best customers. They apparently also depend on people illegally parking on the south side sidewalk.

That section is an ongoing clusterf$#k to drive or bike with no one even trying to fix it. My opinion is there's not quite enough pedestrians to warrant a mall, but it should definitely be one way eastbound with loading zones among the meters so that trucks can deliver without double parking.

And making that block of Newark one way would make alot of sense for merchants. Parking most likely would be the diagonal head-in type and offer ALOT more spot that currently there. Being against even the one way makes no sense!

Posted on: 2010/8/17 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Brewster, then those are some really, really stupid merchants. How can they not understand that a constant flow of pedstrians would supercharge their business? They think that people passing by in cars are their customers?? Yeah, because parking is so abundant over there.

I can guarantee the owners of LITM, Skinner's Loft, etc would not be against making it a pedestrian area.

My discussion was with a representative of the Newark Ave Business Improvement District. I'm sure that POV is more of the retailers than of the bistros you name.

It seems most streetscape incentives around here are more like lipsticking the pig than actually changing paradigms. I saw the original plan for the Grove st plaza reno, and they were still planning on reopening the tail of Newark. Thank God they didn't. You've got to really hand it to Bloomberg for not being afraid to gore a few oxen in the course of trying for real changes to midtown.

I agree, except the Newark Ave "improvements" can barely qualify as lipstick. It's chapstick at best.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Brewster, then those are some really, really stupid merchants. How can they not understand that a constant flow of pedstrians would supercharge their business? They think that people passing by in cars are their customers?? Yeah, because parking is so abundant over there.

I can guarantee the owners of LITM, Skinner's Loft, etc would not be against making it a pedestrian area.

My discussion was with a representative of the Newark Ave Business Improvement District. I'm sure that POV is more of the retailers than of the bistros you name.

It seems most streetscape incentives around here are more like lipsticking the pig than actually changing paradigms. I saw the original plan for the Grove st plaza reno, and they were still planning on reopening the tail of Newark. Thank God they didn't. You've got to really hand it to Bloomberg for not being afraid to gore a few oxen in the course of trying for real changes to midtown.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 19:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
They should start by kicking out the nasty homeless people on Newark (and a few blocks from JCPD HQ). They hang out, get drunk, pass out, curse at people practically everyday, with no repercussions. Pretty sure there is some open container and loitering ordinance in the books. Enforce it and get them out...

Posted on: 2010/8/17 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
And perhaps in one of those empty rowhouses or vacant spots, an independent or foreign film center (that serves drinks, pastries, gelato) could go into one of those spots. Something along the lines of the Quad, Landmark or Angelika or something like this when I was in college, http://www.cablecarcinema.com/

To promote synergy among the business owners and cultivate customer base, they could do a package deal, prix-fixe dinner and movie for 2 for say $45 and cross promote each other. This place I used to go to in Chatham does something similar.

http://www.robertstheatres.com/

Posted on: 2010/8/17 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/17 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a degree in urban planning but just by anecdotal observation of what I've seen elsewhere, it would seem you might get more customers meandering on the streets if it had a Rambla or Horace Greeley Park effect, as (i) they would be enticed to shop/linger more especially if better retail and diverse array of options go into the vacant places; (ii) it would invite out of towners as more of a destination shop; and (iii) the commuters who bus or train it or drive it after the work day back to the burbs would perhaps stay longer after work to run errands, drink, dine, watch a performer, play chess/backgammon etc. I used to work in Morris County and driving down Newark Avenue on my way home, I was NEVER inclined to stop although I frequent LITM, the Hudson Camera Store, Asian Health food store/juice guy, Sawadee, etc. and noisy buses or those van/jitneys do not make for an ideal or palatable shopping experience.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 16:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
That would be awesome!! Some outdoor seating with umbrella tables, street performers, etc.......Very cool.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
First of all I currently see no, or at least very few, trees on Newark Ave. between Jersey Ave and Grove Street.

Secondly, that strip of Newark Ave between Jersey and Grove really SHOULD be pedestrian-only. Is there really a need for vehicular traffic there? For what, to go and make a right on Grove Street?? Those very few drivers that would do that can just turn right on Jersey and left on Columbus.

There's some pathetic tiny potted trees.

As for traffic, I've been told that the merchants freak out at the idea of even making it one way, never mind traffic free, they think people just driving by and in buses are their best customers. They apparently also depend on people illegally parking on the south side sidewalk.

That section is an ongoing clusterf$#k to drive or bike with no one even trying to fix it. My opinion is there's not quite enough pedestrians to warrant a mall, but it should definitely be one way eastbound with loading zones among the meters so that trucks can deliver without double parking.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy's right. Put in some decent retail to what is currently good/decent there (LITM, Skinner's, the Eye Doctor), close off that sector of the street to make it pedestrian only (where the old furniture store was, Milanos? by the clock), flank/barricade it with some huge potted plants/flowers like Horace Greeley Park in Manhattan and create a mini Rambla.

http://www.barcelona-on-line.es/eng/turisme/bcn_rambla.htm

Vehicular traffic can turn right on Barrow or Jersey depending upon where it's cordoned off.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Time and time again, Jersey City fails to capitalize on an opportunity to improve the area and create a showcase. We have to deal with bland, mediocre (at best) results, that really ultimately offer no real improvement visually, and hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent.

"Jersey City: never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity."

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:25

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017