Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
From GrovePath: "Nora M. Brownell was elected to the Board of Directors of Spectra Energy Partners GP, LLC in May 2007 and will serve on our Audit Committee and the Conflicts Committee. In May 2001, Ms. Brownell was confirmed as Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

In February 2001, Bush told Cheney (or vice-versa) to hold secret meetings with the heads of Big Energy. This was 2 weeks into the Bush presidency. To this date the governmet has refused FOI requests to release the content of these meetings. The public STILL has no idea of what collusion was planned between the energy companies and the government.
The report was finalized in May 2001.

How coincidental the appointment of Ms. Brownell to head FERC that very month.

In my heart of hearts I believe the only thing that can stop this JC pipeline link is the direct involvement of the president. Call me a cynic. If we are able to fight 2, 3 or 4 bankrupting wars over energy simultaneously, I see little hope for respecting the plaintive cries of a small city. Having the last head of FERC now sitting on Spectra's board does not add much hope that FERC is even vaguely independent.

You're absolutely correct imo that FERC is not only not independent but complicit in approval of these gas pipeline projects. That's why we fight them on all fronts, hearing processes, media outreach, public comments, litigate as intervenors (Jersey City must do so), appeal to our Senators, Congressmen, public agencies and posting as much info on the sordid past and present of the gas industry and Spectra specifically.

Why is Christie silent on this issue? Is it due to NJ being a partner to these projects for revenue generated to the state?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 19:16
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emileigh23 wrote:
I'll have to reference my handy dandy flow chart they supplied us with last night to see what the next steps are going to be.

Hi, emileigh23

Is there an electronic copy of this flowchart somewhere?

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/8/8 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
From GrovePath: "Nora M. Brownell was elected to the Board of Directors of Spectra Energy Partners GP, LLC in May 2007 and will serve on our Audit Committee and the Conflicts Committee. In May 2001, Ms. Brownell was confirmed as Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

In February 2001, Bush told Cheney (or vice-versa) to hold secret meetings with the heads of Big Energy. This was 2 weeks into the Bush presidency. To this date the governmet has refused FOI requests to release the content of these meetings. The public STILL has no idea of what collusion was planned between the energy companies and the government.
The report was finalized in May 2001.

How coincidental the appointment of Ms. Brownell to head FERC that very month.

In my heart of hearts I believe the only thing that can stop this JC pipeline link is the direct involvement of the president. Call me a cynic. If we are able to fight 2, 3 or 4 bankrupting wars over energy simultaneously, I see little hope for respecting the plaintive cries of a small city. Having the last head of FERC now sitting on Spectra's board does not add much hope that FERC is even vaguely independent.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Jersey City, Meatpacking District Have a Bad Case of Gas
Friday, August 6, 2010, by Pete
Curbed NY

Earlier this week a tipster sent along word of a community meeting on an issue that's been flying under the radar. That meeting was last night at Westbeth on the West Village/Meatpacking District border, where a team from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) talked about a proposed natural gas pipeline called the NJ-NY Expansion Project. The 30" pipe, an extension of an existing line called Texas Eastern run by Spectra Energy, would run through Jersey City, across the river and then meet up with Con Ed pipes in an underground "vault" at the foot of Gansevoort Street, right in front of where the Whitney Museum has plans their new downtown digs. As you can see from the above graphic, some folks in Jersey City aren't thrilled about the slim chance of being consumed by a giant fireball. So what do folks on Manhattan's shores think?

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire! >>
Not much, at least for now. At the sparsely attended meeting, people were told construction would begin in 2012, with gas delivery in 2013. Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer sent a representative, who noted that FERC's efforts to engage the public on a project that will impact the Hudson River Park and the West Side Highway could use some attention. FERC stated that they had been in discussions with various NYC agencies, including DOT and the Sanitation Department (because of the involvement of the Gansevoort Peninsula), along with the Hudson River Park Trust and the Whitney Museum. Some observers blamed the low turnout on the August timing, when many urbanites flee the city, and public meetings are held for projects that aim for quiet fast-tracking.

The previous night a similar meeting was held in Jersey City, where the Feds had put residents on notice about possible property seizures via eminent domain. About 200 concerned citizens showed up, including Jersey City's mayor, who spoke in opposition. Said one JCer: "If you asked the people of Manhattan if they would approve a pipeline through New York City for Jersey City to get gas you know they would laugh and say 'No.'"

At least on this side of the Hudson, should disaster strike, the FDNY will be close by. The Feds didn't have a lot of specifics last night, but one thing seems sure: Another big construction project will keep MePa torn up for the foreseeable future.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/08 ... _bad_case_of_gas.php#more

Posted on: 2010/8/7 6:45

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2010/8/6 7:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra is now on 1st and Merseles surveying the area.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting tidbit about one of their Members of the Board, Nora M. Brownell

"Nora M. Brownell was elected to the Board of Directors of Spectra Energy Partners GP, LLC in May 2007 and will serve on our Audit Committee and the Conflicts Committee. In May 2001, Ms. Brownell was confirmed as Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission where she served until the expiration of her term in June 2006. During her time as Commissioner, Ms. Brownell was an advocate for the development of regional transmission organizations, markets for wholesale power and national energy infrastructure development."

I wonder how far in bed Spectra is with the FERC.

(And how may current FERC employees are lining themselves up for a job at Spectra.)

Posted on: 2010/8/5 17:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/22 0:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Residents & Officials Come Out in Force Against Proposed Gas Pipeline in Jersey City
By Douglas Carlucci ? Aug 5th, 2010

Just feet from where Spectra Energy wants to run a natural gas pipeline through the heart of Jersey City, around 300 residents and public officials gathered in Ferris High School?s auditorium last night to tell the Houston-based energy conglomerate and its federal regulator to find another path.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy led off a list of at least 90 speakers who spoke for a total of four and a half hours. Their comments were nearly unanimous in opposing the pipeline, which would transport natural gas from Staten Island, through Bayonne and Jersey City, to a Con Edison power plant in midtown Manhattan.

?A pipeline of that magnitude is going to create a tremendous disincentive to any private entity to invest in this land,? Healy said. ?This is not about money. It?s about safety that we?re all elected for. That?s the main issue we have ? to protect our citizens.?

Wednesday night?s meeting was the first opportunity for the public to comment on Spectra?s proposal in front of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the independent body which has sole authority to approve the pipeline?s construction...

Read the rest of the article at jerseycityindependent.com.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 15:16
The Jersey City Independent is the alternative news and culture source for Jersey City.
www.jerseycityindependent.com or jcindy.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
FERC approval wouldn't come until next year.

Here is NJ 12's coverage of last night's meeting:

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.j ... =1&news_type=news#fb_jump

Posted on: 2010/8/5 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Thank you guys for posting the excellent links. It was welcome to us who could not be at the meeting. I think Marcie's presentation focusing on Newport was the strongest.

The speakers presented clear and obvious reasons why the pipeline must NOT be routed through Jersey City and unless the FERC process is completely bought and paid for by the spectre of Spectra, the route will be changed.

But that is a big "unless."

What we can all learn from this exercise is that IF the JC pipeline route is approved then there is really NO corporate demand that can ever be stopped by any "official" means whatsoever. Perhaps it might eventually come to actual bodies in front of bulldozers and national press on a day to day basis for weeks or months. Shades of the 1960's.

I was surprised that nobody drew attention to the oft repeated statement "and then it will continue under the turnpike" as if that were an innocuous place to put it. I remember garbage pile fire that broke out under Interstate 78 two decades ago. That wasd only a mound of garbage but it knocked out a major part of the Interstate system for almost a year. Imagine an immense superhot gas fire destroying the turnpike extension, perhaps having sections falling onto the housing below.

Does anyone know when we can expect a ruling from FERC?

Posted on: 2010/8/5 13:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
I would just like to say how empowering and inspiring it was to see the community come together to fight for our city last night. Big props to those that were brave enough to stand up and speak. I left feeling inspired by my community and am proud to call myself a Jersey City resident.

I hope we did enough to make FERC realize that this pipeline is not wanted in this community. With the alternative option of running it through the river, I can't see how this current option could be approved, but I guess when big gas/oil is involved you never know. I'll have to reference my handy dandy flow chart they supplied us with last night to see what the next steps are going to be.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
My one question/concern, unless I missed something, is that the FERC seemed to make it clear that this part of the process is about assessing environmental impact about the pipeline being in JC.... the project manager who kicked off the meeting explained that while everyone's opinions about the pipeline overall are important and will be captured, they are specifically interested in environmental aspects. I'm not sure what constitutes an environmental impact.... 'sorry we killed 10 ppl, but at least the trees were salvaged?'

It just may be good for those of you who want to voice your concerns - and you can until August 20 for THIS part of the process - to emphasize issues related to environmental impact or make the connection between how those issues are related to the environmental aspects.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite part of the Healy speech came around the 7:15 mark. See link above.

Here is a Jersey City resident talking about the terrorist aspect of the pipeline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgZeRjC3Dn4

The second speaker in this video is the Jersey City Planning Director. He presented a lot of good statistics and was well spoken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uzSKiEzXLo

Here is a Jersey City resident wondering why Spectra was not providing her with any answers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easUSQFx1FM

I missed the beginning, but this resident was great and spoke about risk management. He performs risk management for a living.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpSPYFP8b98

This resident spoke about corporate groupthink and how it is difficult to stop a monster like this within a large corporation but someone has to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypzOv0Ktlss

Posted on: 2010/8/5 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.northjersey.com/news/08051 ... ain_break_shuts_down.html

Gas main break shuts down sections of Portions of Pompton Avenue and Hamburg Turnpike

This morning on news radio WCBS 880 their traffic report stated a natural gas main break will cause traffic closures on Ratzer Rd. in Wayne in Passaic county.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
To give an update, currently at meeting... Really good turnout, maybe 250 or so.... Healy and Senator Sandra Cunningham spoke artiulately and passionately, demanding an alternate route.... There is strong audience engagement. A few have signs with 'no pipeline' on them...

I like the BOOM sign, it was simple and to the point. Hey I think a pipeline is good like any other necessity but not in a densely populated, and progressive metropolitan area such as Jersey City or Hudson County for that matter. So I say NO to the pipeline.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 11:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
For once I'm impressed by Healy!

Posted on: 2010/8/5 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Marcy Boyle of LeFrak regarding the economic impact the pipeline will have on Newport. I thought the Newport businesses did an excellent job of coming out and making it clear how damaging the pipeline will be on the businesses in Newport. LeFrak in particular stands to lose a lot if this pipeline gets built through Newport. And, therefore, Jersey City stands to lose a lot if it gets put through Newport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013iVo1Ww_Q

Posted on: 2010/8/5 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/5 4:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
I did not get to attend tonight, I am really excited so many attended! JC is great at turning it out. So to those that went, what was the general feeling? Did we get heard?

Posted on: 2010/8/5 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At the meeting. Perhaps 250 people. I agree that Healy was very good. Before the meeting Spectra kept complaining about the difficulties in going through the water.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
To give an update, currently at meeting... Really good turnout, maybe 250 or so.... Healy and Senator Sandra Cunningham spoke artiulately and passionately, demanding an alternate route.... There is strong audience engagement. A few have signs with 'no pipeline' on them...

Posted on: 2010/8/4 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
It's the same f*acking companies. They cant be trusted.

And just because the gas was extracted elsewhere and poisoned some other person's well doesn't make it ok to facilitate the transportation of a dirty and dangerous gas to its users.

We should be against Natural Gas, period.

They're evil f*acks!

They are not the same companies. Spectra doesn't drill for nor do they produce natural gas. Don't like gas? Turn off your computer. You have to be realistic about what you are trying to achieve. Being against natural gas, as an absolute, sounds nice but unless you have a windmill or a large array of solar panels on top of your house, you're just pissing in the wind.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
It's the same f*acking companies. They cant be trusted.

And just because the gas was extracted elsewhere and poisoned some other person's well doesn't make it ok to facilitate the transportation of a dirty and dangerous gas to its users.

We should be against Natural Gas, period.

They're evil f*acks!

Posted on: 2010/8/4 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Yes, you are correct in the sense that this pipeline has nothing to do with fracing mentioned in the movie, and people would be wise not to discuss this aspect of the recent natural gas controversy at the meeting tonight as a rebuttal will be a slam dunk for Spectra.

Exactly! Bringing up the fracing issue to refute the pipeline would be akin to saying "Parking is really hard to find in San Francisco. We should lower the speed limit in Phoenix." The issues are related in that they both pertain to gas (in the first case, cars in the second) but really that's where the overlap ends.

But..... if Gasland is getting people fired up to fight the pipeline, excellent! Whatever it takes. This thing needs to be rerouted.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 21:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/8 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the pipeline requires compresssors to push the gas through. When we watched the film, they showed the amount of gas seeping from the compressor which is hazardous to anyone's health. The film does not just speak of fracting, but the total process of extracting natural gas.

I encourage everyone to watch it as it was completely and utterly shocking to us.

http://gaslandthemovie.com/

Posted on: 2010/8/4 20:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BMS1979 wrote:
Also I have not seen Gasland, but from what i've read, doesn't that look specifically at the dangers of hydraulic fracing? What does that have to do with this pipeline? Along with this pipeline will they be drilling for natural gas in Jersey City as well? The pollutants that seem to be causing problems with drinking water from fracing seem to happen at the source. I thought this pipeline is only transporting gas from the Linden processing center into NYC. Am I wrong? If that is the case what does "Gasland" have to do with this?

Yes, you are correct in the sense that this pipeline has nothing to do with fracing mentioned in the movie, and people would be wise not to discuss this aspect of the recent natural gas controversy at the meeting tonight as a rebuttal will be a slam dunk for Spectra. But the movie does talk about the consequences of gas leaks and some of the nasty chemicals associated with gas lines that can cause serious health problems, and some of those chemicals can leak from the inspection station which is located in town.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 20:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/27 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
I have a quick question. To begin with, I am very against this pipeline, almost entirely for safety and security reasons. As mentioned in past posts, there are a lot of areas where this pipe will lie close to if not next to other utility pipes. If for some reason utility groups need to drill or dig to access these other pipes, one slight error could be catastrophic.

Also I have not seen Gasland, but from what i've read, doesn't that look specifically at the dangers of hydraulic fracing? What does that have to do with this pipeline? Along with this pipeline will they be drilling for natural gas in Jersey City as well? The pollutants that seem to be causing problems with drinking water from fracing seem to happen at the source. I thought this pipeline is only transporting gas from the Linden processing center into NYC. Am I wrong? If that is the case what does "Gasland" have to do with this?

Posted on: 2010/8/4 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
I have to repeat others here and say everyone should absolutely see Gasland. Its on HBO on demand right now. I caught it about a month ago. Gas drilling and expansion is growing at a ridiculous rate and they are using methods like hydraulic fracturing that are not properly regulated and they do not disclose what chemicals they use in the process, this is leading to widespread water contamination.

More can be found out online and there are countless new stories on PA news, among other states where there is drilling. Just be aware that anything or anyone talking about a website called "Energy in Depth" is misinformed, because that website and group is a gas company creation.

Vanity Fair did a piece on this as well.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fea ... /06/fracking-video-201006

This is an extremely untrustworthy industry, their irresponsible practices around the country are unsettling enough to convince me they have no business building this massive pipeline in our area.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The pipeline goes right by some large condo buildings including Crescent Court and 700 Grove. Hopefully the residents will come tonight.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Property Tax Benefits? They don't talk about all the future value they'll destroy by putting in their pipeline. Could end up being a wash, or worse. Wouldn't you appeal your valuation if you had a major interstate bomb, er natural gas pipeline running through, next to or near your property?

Jobs? Most of the people who will work on this project will be specialists brought in from elsewhere. Who is going to monitor the project to ensure jobs are given to locals? What leverage will anyone have over Spectra on such an ancillary issue once approval has been given?

Thanks for sending out your flyer, Spectra. Probably the most effective rallying tool out there.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:50

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017