Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: This is funny, I know it sounds like spam, but I just bought $8 Rx eye glasses!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
i have been using Zenni for years and my glasses and rx sunglasses always come out just fine. I usually take them to my ophthalmologist and have his office check the prescription on their machines and have them fit them for me. Mine are usually about $60 for progressives with astigmatism adjustments but when I needed single vision prior to surgery, I used Zenni when my negative #'s were still low.

Posted on: 2017/2/8 7:04

Re: This is funny, I know it sounds like spam, but I just bought $8 Rx eye glasses!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Zenni is giving $5 off -- which is cheap some Glasses start at $6

just click this link to get $5 off your very cheap order.

https://goo.gl/Zar9wr

Posted on: 2017/2/8 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I think they're all scratch resistant coated at this point, since they're all made of soft plastics that would be an instant mess without it. What is optional is the AR, anti reflection coating.

Not sure about antifog. Brewster, you are correct again -- I meant I now skip the Anti Reflection coating -- and my work glasses never get the coatings scratched any more.

Use this link ( https://goo.gl/SVlFhM ) to save $5 and as you know some Rx glasses start at $6.95

https://goo.gl/SVlFhM

Posted on: 2015/10/27 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Have any of you ever gotten the "fog proofing" done and it actually worked? I need to get new glasses and had it for my last pair, it didn't work very good, just wanted to know if I should skip it. Thanks

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I skip the free scratch resistant coatings.

I think they're all scratch resistant coated at this point, since they're all made of soft plastics that would be an instant mess without it. What is optional is the AR, anti reflection coating.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I skip the free scratch resistant coatings.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 9:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Unfortunately, I found zennis quality to be going downhill. The coatings come off way too easy any small scratch and around the edges. When I called them to explain my problem and that I was a long time customer, all I got was "it's out of the 30 day warranty" . That's pretty unacceptable.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
$5 off $6.95 Rx Glasses at Zenni -- Zenni is still by far the cheapest -- and they are nice quality.

Click this link to get $5 -- shipping is only $4.95 and glasses start at $6.95 total!!!

https://goo.gl/SVlFhM

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/10/26 20:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Try www.coastal.com. First pair is free, quality is decent. Shipping comes to under $8.00.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Commenting so I can find this for a friend.

Posted on: 2014/7/25 18:07
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
For a progressive lens, how do they know how place the prescription. Those measurements can be tricky.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
I got (and love!) a couple REALLY cheap pairs I got from eyebuydirect -- and they're buy-one-get-one-free for the next week!

Posted on: 2010/7/20 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone else scratches their sun glasses -- I just got a few new pairs of RX sunglasses for $36 total shipped!

http://zennioptical.com - but any of these companies would be great.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

britsb wrote:
I also bought a pair about a month back from 39dollars.com. I got basic lenses (even though I have a very strong prescription and they recommend thinner lenses, but I wanted to keep it cheap for the 1st pair I bought) and a pretty standard plastic frame, but they look nice and considering I spent $250 out of pocket on my last pair of glasses from Cohens (after using my vision insurance coverage of $250) I couldn't be happier. They are very slightly crooked...,but I'm going to take them to Walmart where I heard they'll adjust them for $5 or so. But for $40 I see better and they actually fit better than my old glasses for Cohens (they may be a little crooked, but those glasses from Cohens always fall down my nose and need adjusting) and they didn't cost $500, and I got them in about a week! I'm already considering buying another pair and try progressive lenses.

$500 for glasses!!!!!!!!!!

The profit margins on domestic glasses must be insane. After all, it's a bit of metal and plastic that can be gotten in Asia for apparently next to nothing. The labor can't be more than 15 minutes to cut and assemble lenses and frame. Even at $100/hr that's $25 labor cost, plus the time of the optometrist doing a final adjustment. So, being extremely generous it's no more than $50 labor and perhaps $10 material on a pair of glasses they'll charge you $200-500 for!

Too bad you can't get dental work over the internet

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/16 14:54
From McGinley Square / JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I also bought a pair about a month back from 39dollars.com. I got basic lenses (even though I have a very strong prescription and they recommend thinner lenses, but I wanted to keep it cheap for the 1st pair I bought) and a pretty standard plastic frame, but they look nice and considering I spent $250 out of pocket on my last pair of glasses from Cohens (after using my vision insurance coverage of $250) I couldn't be happier. They are very slightly crooked...,but I'm going to take them to Walmart where I heard they'll adjust them for $5 or so. But for $40 I see better and they actually fit better than my old glasses for Cohens (they may be a little crooked, but those glasses from Cohens always fall down my nose and need adjusting) and they didn't cost $500, and I got them in about a week! I'm already considering buying another pair and try progressive lenses.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 14:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
My dad had Alzheimers and lived in a nursing home. He had bifocals and was always losing his glasses. He would take them off for a minute and forget where they were or they would end up on someone elses face. I used the www.39glasses.com and ordered two pair at a time. I also had him tested with the glasses - and they were good to go.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad you both also had good luck with them! My pairs are still working great.

http://zennioptical.com

Posted on: 2008/4/16 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
G-P's post prodded me to try this out, I'd heard of it long before. It seemed worth gambling some bucks to see what I'd get, I'd put off getting bifocals because of the cost of replacing them frequently. I'm hard on glasses as I work with abrasives. I ordered 2 pairs from 2 different places:

An 80% dark, plastic frame plain scrip sunglasses from Goggles4u for $31 shipped.

An autodarkening, progressive scrip in a metal frame from Zennioptical for $80 shipped. The "photochromic" and progressive was a $59 upcharge.

The base price from Goggles was higher than Zinni, if I had gotten the sunglasses from Zenni it would have been cheaper. Both took a couple of weeks. When I called Zenni to ask some questions, I got a nice, helpful, native english speaker. He told me while the specs are made in China, customer service is in California.

The sunglasses were crap. Cheap looking frame with lenses cut small so the frames squeaked and the lenses can be easily popped out. Something in the scrip seems off also, and they didn't seem 80% dark to me. I complained about the loose lenses, and they say they're sending me new ones, no request was made for the old ones.

The Zenni progressives are awesome. A nice looking quality feeling metal frame, and the lens edges are polished, something BJ's lab doesn't do. Yesterday, I sat down with a bank officer, and the first thing he said was: "where did you get your glasses?". He was enamored of my round lenses which are hard to find. Maybe they're so unhip they're coming round to cutting edge like bell bottoms and sideburns.

Both the progressive lenses and the darkening are taking some getting used to, but I sure feel like I got my money's worth after window shopping frames at Sears and they were all over $100. These glasses would have cost me $300 there I guess.

Caveat emptor, but there is the real deal out there.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Both pairs are great. They did take weeks to show up but they are as nice as anything I could have bought anywhere. The green lens sunglasses that I picked at 50% are not as dark as I would have thought but are dark enough - the company also offers 80% too -- and at $14 a pair I might even get one of those as well.

I really recommend you take a pair of glasses that fit you really well and measure them in millimeters (mm) and chose a similar size from their web page.

I went with www.zennioptical.com there are others.

Good luck!

Quote:

teroli wrote:

Hi GrovePath,

I was wondering how your new eyeglasses turned out. Please give an update.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 14:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Hi GrovePath,

I was wondering how your new eyeglasses turned out. Please give an update.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 2:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

teroli wrote:
If you want to read more about other low cost alternativies check out this blog. http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

The important thing to know before picking out a frame is the size you'll need. The size is printed inside your frames.

About a month ago I bought two pairs from www.39glasses.com with polycarbonate lenses and the glasses are excellent. I didnt' even need to get them adjusted.

Are you calling me a fat head?

Great advice I made sure to measure my favorite sun glasses

Lens Width in mm
Height in mm
Bridge in mm
Frame Width in mm
Temple Arm Length in mm

and just matched up style and size with what they sold.

BTW great blog and good advice!

i won't call you a fat head, but i have a pretty normal sized head for a woman, wear 130mm arm length glasses, and most of the super cheap sites (manufactured completely in china then shipped here) have much larger glasses, from past experience.

i used framesrx.com

i paid much more than $39, but i got designer frames with 1.74 lenses with crizal alize coating for under $250, and i have the happiness of knowing that my lenses were cut right here in the US.

i have a pretty strong prescription too, so those 1.57 lenses wouldn't cut it, unfortunately.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teroli wrote:
If you want to read more about other low cost alternativies check out this blog. http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

The important thing to know before picking out a frame is the size you'll need. The size is printed inside your frames.

About a month ago I bought two pairs from www.39glasses.com with polycarbonate lenses and the glasses are excellent. I didnt' even need to get them adjusted.

Are you calling me a fat head?

Great advice I made sure to measure my favorite sun glasses

Lens Width in mm
Height in mm
Bridge in mm
Frame Width in mm
Temple Arm Length in mm

and just matched up style and size with what they sold.

BTW great blog and good advice!

Posted on: 2008/2/18 22:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/18 20:01

This is funny, I know it sounds like spam, but I just bought $8 Rx eye glasses!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is funny, I know it sounds like spam, but I just bought $8 Rx eye glasses online! I assume there are many people here in Jersey City who would like to get cheap prescription sunglasses or cheap glasses in general. My eyesight really isn't bad -.75 and I never have worn glasses before so I am not as worried as someone who needs bifocals or something more complicated. Also if all you need is reading glasses then there are cheap pairs at every CVS type store -- my glasses are to see better far away -- I'm now slightly near sighted.

I just ordered glasses and sunglasses from this company -- epinions reviewers really like them - almost all of the 100+ reviewers were very happy. Glasses & lens only cost $8 total but with ups and extras ( I went for the $10 frames and added the $5 anti-glare coating to both and I also added a 50% green tinting to one set. I paid a total of $34 for everything - both pairs total and only $4.95 to ship them both to me. They have tons of frames and they do just about anything lens wise. They also do bifocals both with lines and without lines and just about any and everything else.

Here is their website:
https://zennioptical.com

I'll let you know how it turns out but it is interesting.

Her is the epinions reviews:
http://www.epinions.com/Zenni_Optical ... ne_Store/display_~reviews

Posted on: 2008/2/18 18:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017