Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/14 18:46
Group:
Registered Users
"At least with cooporate crime no one gets physically hurt whether it be a car body or a human body, it's just monitary."

Just look at the spikes in suicides in times like these. We won't know for a few more years because the cases are still being studied. Madoff has tons of blood on his hands. Loved ones lost, jobs lost, homes lost, families can't afford food, but can't get govt. assistance because they're holding on to some shares of stock, just in case.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 21:26

Re: Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Political change will come at the next election. Then, a new police director will be brought in just as Cory Booker did for Newark.

Steve Fulop will run for Mayor and win. The downtown vote will overpower the other districts through it's population density (will we have the Census results by then?). In any case, the other districts will support him too.

Thats only if they are registered to vote. A lot of the residents in all of the Newport towers are either there temporary because of their jobs or a gig they have in this area, along with many being foreign born and have not registered yet. I would see how many votes you can garner before you count your chickens, remember what happened in the last election and what hatched.

You're right about Newport.

Still, a lot has changed since the last election. For instance, everyone around the Mayor has been rounded up and he has admitted to being Official #4 in the related schemes. Hell, he might be indicted before the next election. Even recalls are possible, though not likely. Special elections will probably come along as well.

The changes we're talking about are all in the gestation and incubation stage.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 20:25

Re: Just 15 minutes ago: Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wideman wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

wideman wrote:
It's amazing how some don't mind when someone in a shirt and tie robs them of millions or billions but screams bloody murder when a car window is broken. A crime is a crime is a crime. LOL

Yeah, no one made a sound about companies like AIG, or the sub-prime mortgage fiasco, or the bailouts. Never even made the news.

I would love to meet the person who wouldn't mind having their millions or billions stolen.

Action or inaction speaks volumes. Billions stolen buy guys with shirts and ties on, one eyebrow is raised and life goes on. A car window is broken there are petitions, meetings and wishes of ill will for days because it is likely a poorer criminal was the perp. One criminal goes to jail and the other criminal goes to the Hamptons. Go figure!

So you are saying that broken windows have generated more anger than the "shirt-and-tie guys" financial shenanigans?

Hyperbole much?

Posted on: 2010/7/14 17:37

Re: Just 15 minutes ago: Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wideman wrote:
It's amazing how some don't mind when someone in a shirt and tie robs them of millions or billions but screams bloody murder when a car window is broken. A crime is a crime is a crime. LOL

"Some will rob you with a six-gun,
And some with a fountain pen."
- Woody Guthrie

Posted on: 2010/7/14 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:

Political change will come at the next election. Then, a new police director will be brought in just as Cory Booker did for Newark.

Steve Fulop will run for Mayor and win. The downtown vote will overpower the other districts through it's population density (will we have the Census results by then?). In any case, the other districts will support him too.

Thats only if they are registered to vote. A lot of the residents in all of the Newport towers are either there temporary because of their jobs or a gig they have in this area, along with many being foreign born and have not registered yet. I would see how many votes you can garner before you count your chickens, remember what happened in the last election and what hatched.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wideman wrote:
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

wideman wrote:

Yeah, no one made a sound about companies like AIG, or the sub-prime mortgage fiasco, or the bailouts. Never even made the news.

I would love to meet the person who wouldn't mind having their millions or billions stolen.

Action or inaction speaks volumes. Billions stolen buy guys with shirts and ties on, one eyebrow is raised and life goes on. A car window is broken there are petitions, meetings and wishes of ill will for days because it is likely a poorer criminal was the perp. One criminal goes to jail and the other criminal goes to the Hamptons. Go figure!

At least with cooporate crime no one gets physically hurt whether it be a car body or a human body, it's just monitary.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Wideman

I once live in the Bronx two blocks from Yankee stadium. I parked under the trains because obviously parking sucked there... it was a shitty area to park and my window was smashed overnight. I didn't even bother to call the cops, they wouldn't have done anything and it is all apart of living in an urban city. I fixed the window and moved on, not saying it is right that these things happen but they do, and no amount of gentrification is going to completely eradicate these things.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 16:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

wideman wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/14 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

wideman wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/14 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wideman wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/14 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
I called the police and gave a pretty good description of the group as they traveled toward Newark Avenue on Jersey.

Because the young woman was okay, this is the most important part of the whole thread. The laurels go to Shadrack.

If YOU see this crap, call the cops. Don't be Charles Bronson and try to go fubar on them.

"If you see something, say something." (Never have stupider words been truer or meaninglesser).

Calling the cops will have to do for now.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you. What is sad but true, until we vote in better leadership in Jersey City, sections of this city will be mired in crime.

My concern is the crime will continue to spread across Jersey City and not just the low income areas. For instance McGinley square by Hudson Catholic was once a very safe area as was the heights.

Quote:

Leighlee wrote:
JRL, that was so much more efficient than my rambling on.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Leigh, But the the fact remains that car thefts, break-ins, rapes, muggings, vandalism, robbery, etc. are higher in lower income areas. Crime follows money is not accurate. I remember the first time I heard the stat I wondered why they didn't rob in wealthier neighborhoods, but chalked it up to criminals being lazy.

Plus they would stand out in the wealthier neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Clifton_Hanger wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
This is why we need luxury condo apartments with high rents and condo conversions. Having apartment buildings with one owner will deem it rent controlled with low rent and possibably section 8 families. If these hoodlums don't live in the area they caused havoc in then why were they lurking in that neighborhood ? That basketball court is an invite asking for trouble in the newly renovated Hamilton Park.

This type of thinking also does not help Jersey City move forward in a positive direction.

Yes it does...just look around and compare apples and oranges.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 1:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/14 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This is why we need luxury condo apartments with high rents and condo conversions. Having apartment buildings with one owner will deem it rent controlled with low rent and possibably section 8 families. If these hoodlums don't live in the area they caused havoc in then why were they lurking in that neighborhood ? That basketball court is an invite asking for trouble in the newly renovated Hamilton Park.

lol very nice.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey... PBW No pissing match needed. Freakin adorable avatar by the way!! I wasn't saying that the crime only follows wealth. I agree with you. I was saying, probably not very effectively, that just because highrises go up, and rents go up hoodlums aren't going to stay away. It just keeps out people like me who can't find a better job in this economy. I'd make an awesome neighbor! But one day... If you see a moving van and you hear the theme from the Jefferssons blasting out of it... you'll know its me.
I probably would have said something too, and gotten my ass whooped too.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Leigh, I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, cause I agree with your sentiments about mixed income neighbors and most of the people in lower income neighborhoods are hard working honest people. But the the fact remains that car thefts, break-ins, rapes, muggings, vandalism, robbery, etc. are higher in lower income areas. Crime follows money is not accurate. I remember the first time I heard the stat I wondered why they didn't rob in wealthier neighborhoods, but chalked it up to criminals being lazy.

Back to the original story, I'm glad I didn't see it, cause my first instinct would probably to say something rather than call the cops, and I'd probably get my ass kicked.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 21:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ha, yeah... i remember you agreeing with me in another post. I can be naive though... you were right.
But one thing i can say about my little ghetto paradise on the west side is that compared to the cute little artsy neighborhood i lived in in NC before i moved here is the i hear about 86% fewer gunshots here than i did there, and about the same ratio of home invasions. Home invasions are all the rage in Charlotte.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, Leigh I totally understand you, I am pretty much the same person who hates blanket statements, check my previous posts, I am friends with people who some here would classify as thugs by their way of dress or music preference. If those people have helped you then that's very heart warming to say the least.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
My dog has my back.

Resized Image

Love that cartoon that pretty much sums up my dog

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JRL, that was so much more efficient than my rambling on.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
There are sections of Jersey City that have become a breeding ground for Drug Dealers, Murderers, Gangs, Violent Crime and overall Criminal Activity.
When is Mayor Healy and our Chief of Police going to get serious about the crime issue in Jersey City. What has the Healy Council done towards addressing the crime issue? I have yet to see them propose any solutions. Under Healy and his Council (most of them being in office for numerous years) Jersey City has become a comfortable place for criminals to live and go about their business.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My dog has my back too, but what i meant was that there was a time when some guys were harrassing be and saying some nasty stuff and the local kids stopped their basket ball game and came to my defense. They had my back. And a time that young guys were hanging out near the baseball field told me that some guys that were looking for trouble were hanging out near by so two of them that live on the next block from me walked with me. They know me from walking my dog around, and one remembered me for helping his grandma when her walker got stuck in a sidewalk crack.

The over all point I was making is that just because a kid wears baggy jeans doesn't mean he's going to attack you. Just because its a poor community doesn't mean its filled with the scum of the earth. I'm just not ready to write everyone off. Its the blanket statements that kill me. Some poor people commit crimes... that must mean all poor people are evil. Thats what upsets me. I'm a bad person just because of my address.

And yes, lower income areas have higher crime rates, but there are sooooo many different kinds of crimes included in those rates. But typically the crimes that I are most likely to affect me are car theft, break-ins, rape, mugging, vandalism, robbery, etc. Those are the crimes that follow money. Seeing as how i'm not a gang member, a hooker or a drug user/dealer i'm not as worried about the crimes related to those lifestyles.

I am neither saying that normal good people don't get shot, stabbed, beaten or murdered for no reason or defending the idiots that hit this poor lady. Stuff happens! But Jersey City as a whole could be inproved greatly if the good, hard working honest people in the poor communities were given some credit. There are plenty of people in my area that piss me off all the time. There are plenty of people in my area that aren't good in any way, but some are. The elitist "make too expensive and they'll leave" idea never solved anything. I want to spend my money locally, i want to live closer to where i like to hang out, but its already too expensive.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
My dog has my back.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/7/13 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

This type of thinking also does not help Jersey City move forward in a positive direction.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Don't be naive, just because they pet your dog doesn't mean they will help you. I was getting robbed months ago by a guy I knew and spoke to who was all dusted up, and my neighbor blatenly just stood there and watched even when I told him to help he shrugged his shoulders... people dont get involved... no one has your back except yourself.

I agree. My dog keeps these people away from me and keeps them "moving along". My dog has my back.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Don't be naive, just because they pet your dog doesn't mean they will help you. I was getting robbed months ago by a guy I knew and spoke to who was all dusted up, and my neighbor blatenly just stood there and watched even when I told him to help he shrugged his shoulders... people dont get involved... no one has your back except yourself.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Leighlee wrote:
...These kids, who i might add do need a good beating, probably were far from home....

... We walk through Lincoln Park some nights and all the "thugs" know us and say hi and pet him. I feel safer knowing they have my back if something happened.

I'm lost...the "thugs" got your back... guarding you from what exactly?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Leighlee wrote:
Crime follows money.

Don't lower income neighborhoods have higher crime rates?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017