Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Just 15 minutes ago: Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/14 18:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
This is why we need luxury condo apartments with high rents and condo conversions. Having apartment buildings with one owner will deem it rent controlled with low rent and possibably section 8 families. If these hoodlums don't live in the area they caused havoc in then why were they lurking in that neighborhood ? That basketball court is an invite asking for trouble in the newly renovated Hamilton Park.

That won't help, it may actually make it worse. I've always lived in areas in the early stages of gentrification and the same thing always happens. You have mixed income areas with mostly hard working, respectable yet poor families, middle class crackers like me, and a few degenerates. The few trouble makers don't cause trouble near home because they don't want to be forced out and they heep most of the other crap out because they don't want the blame. However, when you start bringing in the upper-middle class and raise the rents, is when you bring in more crime. Nicer cars to break into, better tv's to steal, people that have things you can rob from them. Crime follows money.

In a true neighborhood, where you have all kinds of people who treat eachother with the same level of respect is where you have peace.

These kids, who i might add do need a good beating, probably were far from home.

And Vigilante, i agree with you totally! I've had friendly conversations with people i never would have expected to come up and talk to me. It all starts because of my dog. We walk through Lincoln Park some nights and all the "thugs" know us and say hi and pet him. I feel safer knowing they have my back if something happened.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:11

Re: Just 15 minutes ago: Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I came home to a handful of teens hanging out on my stoop, talking and smoking. They politely stood up and excused themselves as I passed. They weren't bothering anyone, as far as I could tell. Were they on their way to cause trouble? Who knows.

A cop car pulled up, and without getting out, a police woman shouted at the kids through a megaphone, telling them to move it along. Her tone was incredibly snotty and bullying as she repeated, "don't just sit there lookin' at me, MOVE it!"

The kids left, still in a group. This wasn't crowd-dispersal, it was crowd-relocation, and what had been, to my eyes, a group of kids just sitting and chatting, was now a gang of pissed-off disrespected teenagers on the move.

I'm sure someone called the cops to report kids, who don't live there, about hanging out there. That is the only reason that the cop drove by and did what she did.

What's the best way to handle it though? Everyone's supposed to be okay with kids hanging out on their building stoop, specifically kids who do not live in the building?

Politely asking them to relocate doesn't really work.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all for the laurels but unfortunately Braiterman and T-Bird are right.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
it only took two replies for this thread to get derailed into a political turdfest. sometimes you impress me, jclist.

What amazes me, given the turdish nature of the overwhelming majority of our politicians, is that the "fest" is limited to snitty comments on a message board. Hard to believe not even a year has passed and no one is asking "hey, when is Mariano Vega going to have his trial?" or "why was Mariano Vega's trial delayed twice and no reason was given" or "why the hell isn't Mariano Vega in jail?" Look like in the end you win

corybraiterman.

Totalitarian systems rely on fear to suppress dissenting voices.

Democratic systems rely on apathy, voicelessness, and divisiveness.

I feel better after my rant, sure. But in terms of activating policy changes or good governance, such acts are a wet noodle flung at the Kraken monster of municipal intransigence.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Dog walkers are the eyes and ears of our community. This is why I encourage my dog owner friends to get out to Hamilton Park at night. Without their presence the park would quickly become a hang-out for muggers and troublemakers. Good Job Shadrack. If this incident had escalated to something worse at least you were there to call 911.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
There is a curfew in place for good reason -- these thugs attacked a female jogger -- no one is talking about "polite" kids waiting on a bus after a school activity or a softball game. Get real!

I agree, but then enforce the curfew for real. shouting out the window of your air-conditioned police cruiser is not doing the job.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
There is a curfew in place for good reason -- these thugs attacked a female jogger -- no one is talking about "polite" kids waiting on a bus after a school activity or a softball game. Get real!

Posted on: 2010/7/13 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
This is terrible.

Until young, single women feel safe in this town, Jersey City is going to be wading in it's own...

I hope the girl is ok!

Safety is key! I agree -- police need to go after any large teen groups wandering around late -- we all need to call in these groups if we see them roaming -- but I must say that the police have always come if I call them.

I've seen the police "go after" a group of kids, and it was disheartening at best.

I came home to a handful of teens hanging out on my stoop, talking and smoking. They politely stood up and excused themselves as I passed. They weren't bothering anyone, as far as I could tell. Were they on their way to cause trouble? Who knows.

A cop car pulled up, and without getting out, a police woman shouted at the kids through a megaphone, telling them to move it along. Her tone was incredibly snotty and bullying as she repeated, "don't just sit there lookin' at me, MOVE it!"

The kids left, still in a group. This wasn't crowd-dispersal, it was crowd-relocation, and what had been, to my eyes, a group of kids just sitting and chatting, was now a gang of pissed-off disrespected teenagers on the move.

It was perhaps the laziest piece of policework I've seen all year, and I ask you, how did that policewoman's actions help keep the peace?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
There has been a group of teens around that age hanging out on the SW corner of 4th & Erie (across the street from Ralph's Tire Shop), usually playing handball or football. Could be related?

The kids playing handball on the corner near Ralph's are good kids. They stop playing when someone needs to pass and walk through their game. They say excuse me or apologize for taking up the space.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

disportus wrote:
+1 @Alanwright

was the jogger okay?

She seemed fine and kept jogging. Another gentleman tried to help but she just regained her composure and kept running.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
This is terrible.

Until young, single women feel safe in this town, Jersey City is going to be wading in it's own...

I hope the girl is ok!

Safety is key! I agree -- police need to go after any large teen groups wandering around late -- we all need to call in these groups if we see them roaming -- but I must say that the police have always come if I call them.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I don't give a shit if Healy is corrupt or a drunk. I don't care if politicians take bribes from developers or line their friends' pockets with tax dollars and give out no show jobs. What I do want is the services municipal government is suppose to provide, which includes police protection, something sorely lacking in the downtown.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This is why we need luxury condo apartments with high rents and condo conversions. Having apartment buildings with one owner will deem it rent controlled with low rent and possibably section 8 families. If these hoodlums don't live in the area they caused havoc in then why were they lurking in that neighborhood ? That basketball court is an invite asking for trouble in the newly renovated Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
This is terrible.

Until young, single women feel safe in this town, Jersey City is going to be wading in it's own shit. I've been saying this for years.

Every night we see these kids out being punks. Every night the park on Wayne Street is racous and disgusting.

I used to be sympathetic to the concerns of folks who oppose gentrification. IanMac might now that about me; I'm not sure.

Right about now, I simply do not give a damn. I feel like Travis Bickle: turn on the tap and wash away the scum. If you can't enforce the existing law and existing regulations, folks will adapt work-arounds to skirt the law and do selfish, self-serving, destructive behaviors. Unfortunately, police resources are few and they have made priorities. (Do we use CompStat in this town?)

Most of us have lived in this town for 4-10 years and we see few improvements beyond a few restaurants, sidewalks, planters, etc.

Individuals have pushed for change through business ventures. Developers for residences. Andit seems Steve Fulop bashes his head against a wall of inept colleagues and city structures.

But these kids walk the street every night and their antics are neve stopped. The city can't handle Wayne Street Park, so they remove benches. The city has no solution for dumping, so they remove public garbage cans. The city can't figure out how to get folks into town, so they build the Columbus Autobahn. The City couldn't install a traffic light on Grand/ Barrow for 6 months. The City decided to drag their feet on Hamilton Park until... A WEEK before the election and then ruin last summer and fall with their slow work. The City sees the Green Acres money to acquire the Embankment, but they ignore it for years. The City sees schools failing and school board ineptitude, and there's a new contract for the bozo in charge.

Mostly, I've recited downtown inconveniences and problems of the past several years. Ask the folks in the Heights, Mosquito Park, Westside, JSQ, Lafayette, Bergen Hill, Greenville... their problem are worse and the solutions are fewer.

Yet, mostly we see foot-dragging, corruption, and penny-ante misbehavior from the Hudson County Democrats and their public-employee minions.

This IS a political problem. Ian didn't make it so.

BTW: Webmaster, this is another reason this website shouldn't be exclusive with it's concern. Problems and solutions can cross the imaginary border between Wards.

Very well put alanright...this city has so much potential that may never be realized do to the politicians and police being reactive rather than proactive! (If their even ACTIVE at all!)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
There has been a group of teens around that age hanging out on the SW corner of 4th & Erie (across the street from Ralph's Tire Shop), usually playing handball or football. Could be related?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
an easy solution would be just beating the teens of Jersey city. That wouldn't fly though.

Its obvious that 97%(just a made up ballpark figure ) of the ids have been failed by the schools and parents so maybe we should beat them.

Alas this is not a solution either. The only real one at the moment in the middle of July is to force the pd to enforce the curfew.

Most of the kids are a lost cause and until the schools and parents try harder the will continue to be so.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
And +2 alanwright.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
it only took two replies for this thread to get derailed into a political turdfest. sometimes you impress me, jclist.

What amazes me, given the turdish nature of the overwhelming majority of our politicians, is that the "fest" is limited to snitty comments on a message board. Hard to believe not even a year has passed and no one is asking "hey, when is Mariano Vega going to have his trial?" or "why was Mariano Vega's trial delayed twice and no reason was given" or "why the hell isn't Mariano Vega in jail?" Look like in the end you win corybraiterman.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
+1 @Alanwright

was the jogger okay?

Posted on: 2010/7/13 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
This is terrible.

Until young, single women feel safe in this town, Jersey City is going to be wading in it's own shit. I've been saying this for years.

Every night we see these kids out being punks. Every night the park on Wayne Street is racous and disgusting.

I used to be sympathetic to the concerns of folks who oppose gentrification. IanMac might now that about me; I'm not sure.

Right about now, I simply do not give a damn. I feel like Travis Bickle: turn on the tap and wash away the scum. If you can't enforce the existing law and existing regulations, folks will adapt work-arounds to skirt the law and do selfish, self-serving, destructive behaviors. Unfortunately, police resources are few and they have made priorities. (Do we use CompStat in this town?)

Most of us have lived in this town for 4-10 years and we see few improvements beyond a few restaurants, sidewalks, planters, etc.

Individuals have pushed for change through business ventures. Developers for residences. Andit seems Steve Fulop bashes his head against a wall of inept colleagues and city structures.

But these kids walk the street every night and their antics are neve stopped. The city can't handle Wayne Street Park, so they remove benches. The city has no solution for dumping, so they remove public garbage cans. The city can't figure out how to get folks into town, so they build the Columbus Autobahn. The City couldn't install a traffic light on Grand/ Barrow for 6 months. The City decided to drag their feet on Hamilton Park until... A WEEK before the election and then ruin last summer and fall with their slow work. The City sees the Green Acres money to acquire the Embankment, but they ignore it for years. The City sees schools failing and school board ineptitude, and there's a new contract for the bozo in charge.

Mostly, I've recited downtown inconveniences and problems of the past several years. Ask the folks in the Heights, Mosquito Park, Westside, JSQ, Lafayette, Bergen Hill, Greenville... their problem are worse and the solutions are fewer.

Yet, mostly we see foot-dragging, corruption, and penny-ante misbehavior from the Hudson County Democrats and their public-employee minions.

This IS a political problem. Ian didn't make it so.

BTW: Webmaster, this is another reason this website shouldn't be exclusive with it's concern. Problems and solutions can cross the imaginary border between Wards.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 9:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
what's crazy is that i just missed this (shadrack saw me on bike across the street)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 8:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The police don't patrol downtown. Its safe. Crime is down. Healy said so last year. Crime is down. Crime is down. You are lying. There is no crime. Nothing to see here.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 6:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The police don't patrol downtown. Its safe. Crime is down. Healy said so last year. Crime is down. Crime is down. You are lying. There is no crime. Nothing to see here.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 6:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Heh maybe they started the fire in B-L, if they truly are a roving gang.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 4:15

Female jogger harassed/assaulted by roving band of teens - Jersey and 4th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just after 11 pm tonight while walking my dogs, a group of about six to ten Hispanic males ranging in age from 12 - 16 struck a female jogger with an object as she ran passed them on Jersey and 4th. I believe that they hit her with an old hand bag they may have found in the garbage.

It's dark, idiots are out of school, and the streets are nearly deserted. Be careful.

I called the police and gave a pretty good description of the group as they traveled toward Newark Avenue on Jersey.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 3:41

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/7/13 16:48:11

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017