Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Downtown: Williamsburg's Barcade (Bar Arcade) Coming to Newark Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I loathe what this place has become.

Yeah, you're right -- it totally sucks having more restaurants, bars, and things to do locally on a Friday night without having to cross a river or two.

A piece of me dies every time I cross the turnpike extension and see a town trying to be Hoboken and Williamsburgs love child. If there was an icon for a face with a tear coming down I'd use it.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
My friend bought a house in the Heights he wanted to do all the renovation work himself including the electrical and plumbing. The city told him in order to get a permit only a licensed electrician and plumber can install such systems in J.C. buildings.

That's got NOTHING to do with J.C. It's the law. You need to be a licensed electrician, plumber, contractor, architect, etc. to file for and do permitted work. There is nothing shady about JC demanding this.

I know firsthand how screwed up 30 Mongomery is, but all the same, there seems to be a lot of people here who either don't know the law & building codes or who do and think those laws should be bent or not applied when it comes to work they want to do.

I was under the impression that you could file your own in a single family, that it was state law. Is this not the case?

I may have been unclear when i said, "You need to be a licensed electrician, plumber, contractor, architect, etc. to file for and do permitted work."

You can file your project for permits in JC and (with proper proof of insurance) act as your own GC , but a licensed contractors (electricians, plumbers) have to perform the work.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Yeah, you're right -- it totally sucks having more restaurants, bars, and things to do locally on a Friday night without having to cross a river or two.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
My friend bought a house in the Heights he wanted to do all the renovation work himself including the electrical and plumbing. The city told him in order to get a permit only a licensed electrician and plumber can install such systems in J.C. buildings.

That's got NOTHING to do with J.C. It's the law. You need to be a licensed electrician, plumber, contractor, architect, etc. to file for and do permitted work. There is nothing shady about JC demanding this.

I know firsthand how screwed up 30 Mongomery is, but all the same, there seems to be a lot of people here who either don't know the law & building codes or who do and think those laws should be bent or not applied when it comes to work they want to do.

I was under the impression that you could file your own in a single family, that it was state law. Is this not the case?

Posted on: 2010/7/30 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2010/7/30 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
"Those details include supplying the bar with wind power"

Does that just mean sourcing through PSE&G delivery or are they literally tilting at windmills?

Posted on: 2010/7/30 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cstone wrote:
Jersey Journal has a follow-up this morning. Construction to begin "in a few weeks" according to the story: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... on_to_start_on_downt.html

My friend bought a house in the Heights he wanted to do all the renovation work himself including the electrical and plumbing. The city told him in order to get a permit only a licensed electrician and plumber can install such systems in J.C. buildings. So Paul from Barcade might have to hire a few outside guys to move things along.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 13:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
That just made my morning, thanks

Posted on: 2010/7/30 12:49
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/11 21:27
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Journal has a follow-up this morning. Construction to begin "in a few weeks" according to the story: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... on_to_start_on_downt.html

Posted on: 2010/7/30 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Probably the same reason that the Jersey Journal underreports crime downtown.

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Why doesn't the Jersey Journal cover this sort of corruption?

Posted on: 2010/7/29 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Can you believe all these new people spending all this money to live here? And then they wanna open businesses and make this a better place to live? Lets make it as hard as possible, and shake em down while we're at it! If we make it too easy the next thing you know they'll be getting into politics and trying to change that too, then we'll all lose our no-show jobs...

So who get's the last laugh, the Cutters or them ?
A few years ago in person I reported to the Parking Authority that a lady who couldn't speak English keeps putting "do no here park" notes on my car in her illegal (alien) driveway. The response of the JCPA was "do you really have to park there, couldn't you find another place to park"

Posted on: 2010/7/29 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
disgusting

Posted on: 2010/7/29 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I will never forget the douche-bag, city "lifer" employee I saw in the old Hamilton Park Ale House. He was bragging about what a hard time his department was giving to some guy who was trying to open a business in the Paulus Hook area. (It was around the time the Muscle-Maker Grill was struggling to open). I believe the guy was from either Buildings or Sanitation. He then went on to grub a "free meal" from that Fabio wannabe.

Can you believe all these new people spending all this money to live here? And then they wanna open businesses and make this a better place to live? Lets make it as hard as possible, and shake em down while we're at it! If we make it too easy the next thing you know they'll be getting into politics and trying to change that too, then we'll all lose our no-show jobs...

Posted on: 2010/7/28 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kneebison wrote:
looks like progress has ground to a halt.... just saw red "stop construction" stickers in the windows of the old wamu/future barcade on newark ave. the reason? no permits. (which is probably shorthand for "no donations to the healy defense fund")

While I'm no fan of 30 Montgomery, they should have known that in JC they need permits to do anything more than paint. You can't build or demo a simple closet without a permit, or hang a cabinet, and forget about electric past the outlet box or plumbing beyond the sink trap.

Of course everyone does all of the above on the low down, but that's hard to pull off when renovating a storefront!

Posted on: 2010/7/28 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Why doesn't the Jersey Journal cover this sort of corruption?

Posted on: 2010/7/28 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I will never forget the douche-bag, city "lifer" employee I saw in the old Hamilton Park Ale House. He was bragging about what a hard time his department was giving to some guy who was trying to open a business in the Paulus Hook area. (It was around the time the Muscle-Maker Grill was struggling to open). I believe the guy was from either Buildings or Sanitation. He then went on to grub a "free meal" from that Fabio wannabe.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
It took me 6 months to open a 500 square foot retail space in Jersey City!!!!!!!!!!!! MIKE RAZZOLI AND HIS CREW OF #OOPS# UPS AT THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT HAVE TO GO. THE INSPECTOR WHO SCREWED US FOR NO REASON WAS BRYANT CURRY!!!! Where is the city council???? Where is the mayor or future mayor Fulop. We need bars and retail on Newark Ave and this shit has to stop.

CALL CARL CZAPLICKI IF YOU ARE HAVING DELAYS WITH THE BUILDING INSPECTORS!!!! HE IS THE ZOO KEEPER FOR ALL THE ANIMALS IN THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT!!

Ox went out of business because of delays and countless other businesses are in the hole because of RAZZOLI and CURRY and all the other IDIOTS!

Department of Housing, Economic Development & Commerce

30 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5070
Fax: (201) 547-6566

Carl Czaplicki, Director

Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You know... I noticed this too. EVERY FREAKING TIME someone wants to open up a business in this town, something like this happens.

Seriously the FEDs need to investigate this. Is everybody on the take in this city?

You know DAMN well somebody in the building department wants a nice brown envelope with lots of these in them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/New100front.jpg

It just makes me mad as hell. Part of me wants to start a fake business, start to renovate and then wear a wire when this nonsense happens.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 10:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
You have to make sure you are paid up. Everyone wants their piece.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 0:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/18 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
looks like progress has ground to a halt.... just saw red "stop construction" stickers in the windows of the old wamu/future barcade on newark ave. the reason? no permits. (which is probably shorthand for "no donations to the healy defense fund")

Posted on: 2010/7/15 22:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/8 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure Jersey City will screw this up and ruin someone's dream and make the rest of the residents realize that they will just have to be happy with 99 cent places and empty store fronts. ahhh

I'm still hopeful though. Welcome Hipsters. Please come here. Open cute places to eat, put garbage in cans. Recycle. Use tote bags. Buy organic. Make art and music.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The bank lobby wasn't too big but they had more than that.

Quote:

sandman wrote:
Quote:

hamiltonparkjc wrote:
It's going into the closed WaMu on the corner.

If I remember correctly, that space is not very big?

Posted on: 2010/7/9 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonparkjc wrote:
It's going into the closed WaMu on the corner.

If I remember correctly, that space is not very big?

Posted on: 2010/7/9 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Somewhere there is a 2005 thread on JCLIST about 'Restaurant Row"...

=================================

Council moves to foster rebirth for 'Restaurant Row'

Thursday, September 29, 2005
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hoping to attract businesses to what many consider a failed "Restaurant Row" in Downtown Jersey City,the City Council introduced an amendment to an ordinance on Sept. 14 governing the operating hours forrestaurants with liquor licenses operating on Newark Avenue.

Championed by Councilman Steve Fulop, the amendment loosened some restrictions placed on therestaurants under the original ordinance, passed six years ago. Council members said the aim of theoriginal ordinance was to bring restaurants to the neighborhood without creating a strip of bars that wouldoverwhelm the neighborhood and turn it into "another Hoboken."

Under the original ordinance, restaurants with liquor licenses had to stop serving drinks at 11 p.m.,Mondays through Thursdays and Sundays. The amendment allows restaurants to keep serving until 2 a.m.,as long as their kitchen remains open until midnight. And on Saturdays, the restaurants can keep pouring drinks until 3 a.m. if the kitchen stays open until 1 a.m.

Fulop, who visited several community groups to promote the ordinance change, said several entrepreneursare waiting to open businesses once this new law passes. Jelynne Jardiniano, proprietor of l.i.t.m., a bar, restaurant, gallery on Newark Avenue, characterized thecurrent state of the district as "semi-abandoned . with five businesses failing." But not everyone gave the ordinance a thumbs-up.

Downtown resident Geoffrey Elkind accused Fulop of rushing the ordinance. "Not getting input from the rest of the city apparatus is a prescription for having a defective ordinance,"Elkind said. "This could end up with just bars." A task force including representatives of the police and fire departments reviewed the ordinance before itcame up for final passage at a recent council's meeting, Fulop said.

==================================

You can also see the New York Magazine piece from this time --

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=c ... FJUfC1qKz_Th_1txl03ajRCLA

Posted on: 2010/7/9 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I think the problem is that Jersey City is really anti small business.

Take a look at what happened with OX and Atomic Wings.

It took both an exceedingly long time to open due to Jersey City agencies such as Buildings Dept, Licensing Dept, Fire Dept, etc etc. OX never recovered and eventually had to close. Even Skinners Loft took FOREVER to open.

In the case of Atomic Wings, I think the thread on here was ongoing for over two years before this place opened up. They were about to open then the JC Fire Department made them poor thousands into a new sprinkler system - even for the Palace Drugs place adjacent to it.

I keep hearing that unless you have brown envelopes stuffed with CASH to bribe officials, they will make the process of opening up any establishment here in JC a living hell with bureaucratic red-tape and enforcement of ancient ordinances. And every city agency wants part of this action.

Why aren't there any "official" gay bars in Jersey City? Because apparently JC still has an anti gay ordinance on the books. Even star bar (which caters to this clientele) calls itself a "Craft Beer" bar...

If Jersey City wants to really make a restaurant row, they need to get business friendly and get rid of the corruption and BS regulations and ordinances that make it almost impossible to open... and succeed as an establishment.

Didn't at one point the Building Dept got shutdown because the corruption was so bad? Well, its still happening and every dept should be investigated.

FG

Posted on: 2010/7/9 10:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Good point, I can see why the 750 foot law exists especially in a place like jersey city - there are certain types of bars that attract dangerous people that we want to keep out of the community. There are a number of bars that attract people who seem to live a dangerous lifestyle - stray bullets, etc - why aren't they shut down like YESTERDAY.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 7:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
750 feet!!?? I have lost all hope in "restaurant row".

This rule doesn't apply to restaurant row.

Quote:

Why, oh why, would a law like this exist, in a CITY?

Because without any restrictions of the sort, you would have strips of dive bars and liquor stores. That may seem quaint for certain demographics but it can also be devastating to neighborhoods. Not every bar is the type that young well behaved professionals attend. And as recent events at the Merchant show, even in those areas, problems can arrive.

Quote:

No wonder all the bars in JC are spread out.

Well yes, that's generally why. And if you do live downtown, you will find it's really not hard at all to get a drink.

Quote:

Newark Ave is a commercial strip, and SHOULD be the main dining/live music/nightlife center of "Downtown Jersey City". I now see why it is NOT.

Restaurant row has been in existence in various forms for around a decade. Initially it was more restricted, Councilman Fulop led the efforts to loosen it. In part, one can say that it's still just taking root. On the other hand, people have pointed out that there are many other reasons why Newark Avenue was not naturally inclined to become a nightlife strip.

Quote:
Grove, Newark, and Jersey Ave should be mostly cafes, restaurants, bars, and delis. This is really a shame.

Grove has plenty of restaurants already, and did so without restaurant row. Jersey Avenue has a decent amount. Newark has seen several open up.

Quote:

We can mock Hoboken all we want - but they did something right. They have walkable strips of cafes, bars, and restaurants ... something that ANY city should have -- especially a city like JC of 250,000 people. What an embarassment.

They may have done something right for the demographic that likes to go out drinking a lot. There are plenty of neighbors who aren't so crazy about it.

Quote:

I actually can't even figure out why that 750 foot rule exists.

See above.

I would like to see Barcade open, and wouldn't mind more facilities opening. But the law currently permits it, although certain bureaucratic forces make it difficult for anything to open.

Having said that, Jersey City is more than people in their 20s and 30s whose life revolves around going out drinking. And while those latter people exist, they are not nearly as many as they think they are. Not enough to provide the economic support to all the restaurants and bars they would like to see pop up.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The Majestic redevelopment plan allows for the premises to serve alcohol even though they are within 750 feet of one another.

The restaurant row ordinance, which applies to Newark, also allows for alcohol to be served in more premises. I can't seem to find the section of the code right now. However, as I recall, the restaurant has to actually have a kitchen with the facilities as required by the Jersey City Fire Code, and alcohol can only be served for a certain period of time after the kitchen closes.

In addition, to qualify as a restaurant, a certain percentage of the facility has to be devoted to restaurant use and the place has to have a certain ratio of dining tables to bar space.

I'm not sure if Barcade would qualify as a restaurant, even though they have said they would be serving sandwiches.. Hopefully they have lined everything up so that they qualify one way or another. It would definitely be a unique place.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Merchant and Majestic seem to be less than 750 feet from each other. Perhaps serving food makes a difference.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 3:02

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017