Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Garbage on the ground and sidewalks everywhere

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/28 5:03
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
You know what really bothers me? How the city will nonchalantly ticket a car 3 seconds after a 10AM street cleaning rule, but when it comes to the important issues, they are over looked. I understand enforcing littering is close to impossible, yet there are ways to alleviate this dilemma.

Jersey City is a creative community. Where are the artists? I didn't go to school for nothing. Pitch a petition to the city where neighbors work together to make aesthetically pleasing garbage cans. Maybe each person could contribute $3 for supplies. Let's say there are 400 residents on a block, give or take; basic multiplication says that 3x400 = 1,200. That is more than enough money for a few garbage can creations. It sounds good on paper, but if people care so much about this issue, let's put our foot down. Yes, residents should not have to deal with this, but complaining gets us nowhere so we must take things into our own hands during these kinds of situations.

Maybe someone would jump on board with this or suggest another idea.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 6:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here, but not too far: I think we can blame teenagers for most of it. And when some of them grow up, we can blame them again.

So, intervention and social engineering should occur through the schools. Obviously, ma
ny families in this town have no respect for their envionment.

Let me get a recent picture I took from across from Frank Conwell school on Bright Street. It will make you sick.

Here it is. Gross. A few days later there were two large, clear trashbags set out on the curb with sorts of the junk.

Resized Image

That's right where I used to live on Varick Street! (last row house, brown stoop)... Yes, it is the kids from the school. Once the school opened, about 4 months after I moved in, I really started to hate living there, in a way. I had kids hanging out on my stoop after school and they would leave me lots of garbage and sticky spills. A few times I would hear so much noise and look out the window and see 10 or more kids on my stoop and 10 or more kids on my neighbors stoop about to get into a fight. When I called the school to tell them about it they would say "call the cops," which I didn't want to do. I just wanted school security to make sure the kids moved it along after school and didn't mess with their neighbors. They are middle school kids! "call the cops".... yeah not feeling it.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 3:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Montgomery Street near City Hall, and in the last 2 weeks, there were 3 incidents where I walked out of my condo (a brownstone), and found women's clothing handing on our railing in the front. 2 out of the 3 times includes women's top, bottom (like a blouse and skirt) and shoes!

I don't know where this came from - whether from residents in our condo (but I highly doubt it), or from someone passing by on the street. If it's someone passing by on the street, why were they stripping in front of our building? I'm completely baffled!

Anyone has any ideas?

PS I've thrown everything into the trash the moment I saw them.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here, but not too far: I think we can blame teenagers for most of it. And when some of them grow up, we can blame them again.

So, intervention and social engineering should occur through the schools. Obviously, ma
ny families in this town have no respect for their envionment.

Let me get a recent picture I took from across from Frank Conwell school on Bright Street. It will make you sick.

Here it is. Gross. A few days later there were two large, clear trashbags set out on the curb with sorts of the junk.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/23 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skinny wrote:
One day I got so fed up scooping up someone else's dog turd I wrapped it in newspaper and took it to their house.

This works.

I've always found that once I confirm the offending Owner and where they live, usually after a half-dozen, anonymous "return to Owner packages", they usually either get the message.

Thankfully, I've only had to employ this method about 2 times over the past 15 years.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 19:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
It's simple. If you're raised like an animal you'll live like an animal... and this is the way too many "people" in this town have been brought up. There is a dog that constantly leaves his mess on my sidewalk. The owner's usually don't walk with him. He often walks himself and drops a load with no one to pick up. One day I got so fed up scooping up someone else's dog turd I wrapped it in newspaper and took it to their house. I rang the bell and knocked on the door. No one answered so I left it in their hallway. A few days later I saw the owner walking the same dog. I asked him to pick up after his pet. He said it wasn't his! No one can take responsibility for anything.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
My wife just looked at some woman in her 20's and the woman started flipping out cursing at my wife and saying that my wife should pick up the garbage, that picking up garbage was my wife's job, etc... Not that this matters but I think it may have contributed to the woman's response-my wife is white- the woman was black.

To be honest, I see all kinds of people tossing their garbage on the ground but more often than not it is teenagers and people of color. No respect for their community I guess.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
Quote:

I routinly see adults with their kids in tow throw trash right to ground as they casually walk down the street.

Sometimes I just smile sweetly and say, "Oops! You dropped something!". They usually pick it up and and mumble "oh, thanks".
One day I saw a man, nicely dressed in a suit, take the plastic top off of his coffee and toss it on the ground. I was so mad, I walked up to him and said, "What do you think you're doing!?!?!" Even though he apologized and picked it up, that was probably not a very smart thing for me to do. You never know how those litterers will react.

Especially those ones in the suits, that was rather brave of you to approach him, most people would have walked away or just address the guy in the torn jeans, tee shirt, and his hat on side ways.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 2:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
The amount of trash generated from those kids is simply incredible...and grotesque. It was almost ankle-deep this morning (the wind did not help).

Posted on: 2010/6/8 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users

So, intervention and social engineering should occur through the schools. Obviously, many families in this town have no respect for their envionment.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I routinly see adults with their kids in tow throw trash right to ground as they casually walk down the street.

Sometimes I just smile sweetly and say, "Oops! You dropped something!". They usually pick it up and and mumble "oh, thanks".

One day I saw a man, nicely dressed in a suit, take the plastic top off of his coffee and toss it on the ground. I was so mad, I walked up to him and said, "What do you think you're doing!?!?!" Even though he apologized and picked it up, that was probably not a very smart thing for me to do. You never know how those litterers will react.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 17:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
Agree. Not only do people throw their garbage on and around my property, the wind blows the whole block's worth of crap to my property. It is sickening.

I think it would be fairly simple for our wondeful government to create a public awareness campaign about the problem and why it is not acceptable.

Quote:

"by 81905 on 2010/6/7 7:37:33

This is by far the worst city I have lived in when it comes to littering despite all the street cleaning and clean-up crews from the DPW. In a sense, the city has shot itself in the foot having these street cleaning days because the have essentially created another form of welfare where the perp simply thinks someone else will take care of it. I routinly see adults with their kids in tow throw trash right to ground as they casually walk down the street.

This is a mentality that is generations in the making and will only be curbed with a some clever litter awareness education mandated in our schools. Couple that with the police actually doing their jobs and fining people who litter.

Until then get used to picking up ignorant people's garbage because even garbage cans placed 2' from each other will be futile.

I should save a weeks worth of garbage that I pick up in front of my house and bring it to city hall with a dollar sign on it.
Anyone else interested?"

Posted on: 2010/6/7 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

81905 wrote:

Until then get used to picking up ignorant people's garbage because even garbage cans placed 2' from each other will be futile.

What fantasy version of Jersey City do you live in where there are trash cans? The biggest problem with litter in the city is that there are almost no trash cans.

Yours is the fantasy. This place is tons cleaner than it used to be and when there were a lot more trash cans. Believe me, it's not the quantity of trash cans that make a difference, but the people living here.

Yes, there's still way too much crap being thrown around, but the changing demographic over the past 15 years has made the biggest improvement in the amount of garbage strewn about.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:

What fantasy version of Jersey City do you live in where there are trash cans? The biggest problem with litter in the city is that there are almost no trash cans.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
This is by far the worst city I have lived in when it comes to littering despite all the street cleaning and clean-up crews from the DPW. In a sense, the city has shot itself in the foot having these street cleaning days because the have essentially created another form of welfare where the perp simply thinks someone else will take care of it. I routinly see adults with their kids in tow throw trash right to ground as they casually walk down the street.

This is a mentality that is generations in the making and will only be curbed with a some clever litter awareness education mandated in our schools. Couple that with the police actually doing their jobs and fining people who litter.

I should save a weeks worth of garbage that I pick up in front of my house and bring it to city hall with a dollar sign on it.
Anyone else interested?

Posted on: 2010/6/7 11:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Has anyone ever seen 479 and 481 Manilla Street. Those are true slobs. 479 throws food and bottle caps out the window and 481 continually uses the 2 city cans on their corner as their personal garbage cans.

WHO CAN STOP THIS ??????????

The best thing you can do is call JCIA and inform them of what you're seeing. It's great that you have two specific addresses connected to the violations.
Be prepared to follow-up. It really is worth the trouble of making the call:

JCIA at 201-432-4645 Ext. 600, M-Fri 9am-4pm.

Keep us posted on progress

Posted on: 2010/3/23 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone ever seen 479 and 481 Manilla Street. Those are true slobs. 479 throws food and bottle caps out the window and 481 continually uses the 2 city cans on their corner as their personal garbage cans.

WHO CAN STOP THIS ??????????

Posted on: 2010/3/23 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Most people seem to accept this non-accommodation because you don't see garbage anywhere granted PATH has a cleaning crew constantly sweeping the area of debris. Also the cans/barrels can invite unexpected problems as well.

What "PATH" trains are you riding on? The magic choo choo of your avatar?? There is nothing more disgusting than an evening PATH train after rush hour. Newspapers strewn everywhere. Cans and plastic bottles rolling on the floor. Mysterious streams of brownish liquid that have formed rivulets that run the length of the car. Maybe the stations aren't as littered but I've never been on a filthier train in my life - and I've ridden many different systems.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 16:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Which some people do, but the few that don't throw them anywhere they think is convenient for them. In the plant containers right outside exchange place, you have tons of trash stacked up to the brim.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yahjcforya wrote:
For those of you thinks that it is ok to throw trash on the street because there are no cans close by, I hope more people stop by your home/apt and throw everything in your window. There is absolutely no excuse to treat the environment like it is a big trash can.

The PATH does not have trash cans in their train stations, their theory is what you bring with you; you are expected to take with you. Most people seem to accept this non-accommodation because you don't see garbage anywhere granted PATH has a cleaning crew constantly sweeping the area of debris. Also the cans/barrels can invite unexpected problems as well.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 11:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/10 17:29
Group:
Banned
My favorite thing to see is people walking down the street eating fried chicken and just dropping the bones on the ground or the kid waiting for the bus with a can of soda in his hand that they just drop on the ground when the bus driver tells them that they cant bring it on the bus.

How about we take the people on welfare or unemployment in JC, stick a broom in their hands a couple days a week, and make them clean the streets.

Or it could be part of some sort of high school work study kind of thing that teaches children that just because you throw something out your window that does not mean it goes away- eventually someone has to clean up after you. Make kids clean it and when they have kids they will teach them that littering the streets is not acceptable because they will remember how pissed they got when they had to pick up after others.

Definitely a cultural thing that could easily be changed but won't because there would be all kinds of talk about how it is discriminatory to have certain groups pick up after their communities.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 4:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. I'd really love to see the guy in the burberry trench coat be forced to go back and retrieve the overstuffed tall kitchen can bag he dropped off by the waste basket on the corner because he missed garbage day. He didn't even have the decency to try to stuff it in the can, he just left the bag on the sidewalk next to the can. Its very difficult to juggle trash bag with his laptop bag. Good work you new to neighborhood - educated looking guy!!! I wave my cane in your general direction!!!

Posted on: 2010/3/23 4:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you thinks that it is ok to throw trash on the street because there are no cans close by, I hope more people stop by your home/apt and throw everything in your window. There is absolutely no excuse to treat the environment like it is a big trash can.

I do believe it's cultural as most of the people that I saw looks "noneducated". Remember the kid that got caught for vandalism 15 or 16 years ago? I'm not suggesting caning, but we should definitely enforce littering fine or introduce one. Check out the link, they fine anyone that litter $1000. We could do the same and make these trash pick up their own trash. Imagine how much it will clean up your streets and reduce your taxes!!!

http://blog.hotelclub.com/singapore-weird-laws/

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070318/26litter.htm

Posted on: 2010/3/23 2:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/14 15:48
Group:
Registered Users
The trash problem around Journal Square is becoming a problem. Over the past few months I've noticed more dog poop left on the sidewalks and broken glass everywhere. Last week it seemed like there was vomit on every corner along Bergen Ave. I've walked behind people who drop their food wrappers on the sidewalks as soon as they finish their McDonald's. I've seen people parked along JFK and Bergen open their car doors and drop soda cans on the sidewalk.

I've submitted requests several times but nothing has been done.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 2:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
Also...

For those of YOU who support the 'war on terror'...we can thank YOU for having the trash cans removed from PATH stations and other key areas in JC.

There are VERY FEW places to put trash if you are at PATH stations (Newport, Journal Square...etc.)

THIS was a direct result from the bogus 'war on terror'...you see, "officials' thought trash cans are a perfect place for explosives, etc.

AND THIS BREAKING NEWS (for some of you):
Many 'terror-plots' are created and funded by FBI / other US agencies:

HERE IS A LINK TO PROOF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPg1n8P-tM

THANKS Y'all!

Posted on: 2010/3/22 23:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
We really do have to make it clear that dumping is unacceptable. The problem is city-wide. Check out the cliff-side between Hoboken and JC Heights along Ravine Road, or along Mountain Road/Franklin. It's disgraceful!
I believe a group from Goldman Sachs volunteer to clean it up periodically--but really fines should be levied by the city on those people who treat the street like a dump.
I say we inundate J.C.I.A. with service requests online and with phone calls to report dump-sites and known dumpers. These scofflaws are creatures of habit and until we make those habits extremely unpleasant it will continue to destroy the potential of this city (ditto for the JCIA--make it their interest to clean up the city).

Posted on: 2010/3/22 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Hoboken wrote:
I came out of my apartment the other day and saw a guy walk out of his building holding a TV, cross the street and throw it behind some bushes lining the sidewalk. He then turned around and started back to his front door. I was in shock. People are nuts.

Not shocked by that. A lot of people have that "just get it out of here" attitude. Many of them have the same attitude toward unwanted pets. It's amazing how stupid and lazy people can be. Let's continue to report these people. It only takes a phone call. JCIA 201-432-4645 Ext. 600.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 22:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/29 18:19
Group:
Registered Users
I came out of my apartment the other day and saw a guy walk out of his building holding a TV, cross the street and throw it behind some bushes lining the sidewalk. He then turned around and started back to his front door. I was in shock. People are nuts.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 22:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
This is one of my biggest pet peeves about downtown JC. The trash on the streets in HC is awful. THe public trashcans are usually overflowing, and then you also have the bums who pick through the trash, ripping up bags and throwing trash everywhere. Add to that the fine students that dump their lunch on the street, and owners that could give a crap about picking it up, and you have the current situation. I have to agree that a lot of this is cultural - I don't usually see trash everywhere in PH. It's unnerving. Has anyone organized a weekly street cleanup on their block? I'm thinking something like this could at least galvanize those who care about how the neighborhood looks, and maybe motivate some folks on the fringe into helping keep the neighborhood clean.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 22:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
Here's my 2 cents on JC trash - What annoys me as well is the flyers and sale magazines that are left outside all the buildings. They start to blow away and eventually end up all over the street. I've started picking up all of them and any other papers outside my building and putting it in the trash - so if anyone was looking for the cheap flyers and never found them, it's probably my fault.

Also, the bedroom of the apartment i just moved into, overlooks the back of the basketball court on Wayne St. (between Jersey ave and Barrow). I was seriously shocked to see the back side of some of those buildings and amount of trash there. It's all over the ground and fire escapes, like people have been chucking their garbage straight out the windows.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 20:56

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017