Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
First of all I currently see no, or at least very few, trees on Newark Ave. between Jersey Ave and Grove Street.

Secondly, that strip of Newark Ave between Jersey and Grove really SHOULD be pedestrian-only. Is there really a need for vehicular traffic there? For what, to go and make a right on Grove Street?? Those very few drivers that would do that can just turn right on Jersey and left on Columbus.

Time and time again, Jersey City fails to capitalize on an opportunity to improve the area and create a showcase. We have to deal with bland, mediocre (at best) results, that really ultimately offer no real improvement visually, and hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

take away the cars and replace all the missing buildings and brick the street and you'll be close to done.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 14:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/19 10:01
Group:
Registered Users
any update on this ? its mid august ..

Posted on: 2010/8/17 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

Home wrote:
Are there any updates to when Phase-III work will start? Thank you.

This is from Councilman Fulop's Ward E Newsletter:

UPDATES ON INFRASTRUCTURE AND STREETSCAPES

NEWARK AVENUE STREETSCAPE
Phase One and Two Streetscape Project - from Coles to Grove:
This project is substantially completed. The contractor is currently fixing a few smaller items and is set to install a street clock.

THAT is their definition of "substantially completed"?!
Somebody please repost the artist rendition of what Newark Avenue was supposed to look like after completion.

Once again, Jersey City got snookered.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Home wrote:

This is from Councilman Fulop's Ward E Newsletter:

UPDATES ON INFRASTRUCTURE AND STREETSCAPES

NEWARK AVENUE STREETSCAPE
Phase One and Two Streetscape Project - from Coles to Grove:
This project is substantially completed. The contractor is currently fixing a few smaller items and is set to install a street clock.

Phase Three Streetscape Project - from Coles to Summit Avenue:
Phase three of the project is a continuation of the Newark Avenue phase 1 and 2 project.
Phase 3 was set to start shortly. However, the second-lowest bidder on the project is contesting the bidding process. Construction will most likely start in August and will continue into the summer of 2011.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 19:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 2:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/24 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
id hate to say it but as much as a pedestrian only section of newark ave would be great, and attract new businesses and people into the area, people and bikes come 2nd to cars in this city. thats why there are still so many parking lots, driveways and an overabundance of turning lanes where they arent neccesary. when they can afford to have more streetside parking and eliminte some more lots, then maybe they can start moving towards pedestrian needs. i could be a while though.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Why would you want Jersey City to become just like plenty of places that already exist instead of trying to make it a better version of itself?

There's a better version of Jersey City? I thought this is JC at its prime.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 15:47
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gargantuan98 wrote:
What they really need to do to Newark Ave. is get rid of all the 99 cent stores and crappy newsstands that do nothing but sell lottery tickets and open up some respectable businesses like TGI Friday's or something. I have a feeling the junkies, hookers, and creepy old guys would soon follow.

1. TGI Friday's is disgusting. Even in the world of chain restaurants I can think of many better options, not that I think we need chain restaurants.
2. The TGI Friday's in Lower Manhattan is no stranger to hookers, junkies, or creepy old guys. In fact there was a huge coke ring busted there not too long ago.

Look, if you want an endless procession of chain restaurants, you can move to a place like East Brunswick. Or even move near Times Square. Why would you want Jersey City to become just like plenty of places that already exist instead of trying to make it a better version of itself?

Posted on: 2010/5/28 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe Houlihan's?

Posted on: 2010/5/28 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

gargantuan98 wrote:
TGI Friday's

No thank you.

I'm thinking it was just a troll post.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

gargantuan98 wrote:
TGI Friday's

No thank you.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gargantuan98 wrote:
respectable businesses like TGI Friday's or something.

you're joking right?
Please
please
please
tell me you're joking.

I'll take 99 cent stores over crappy chains (that will just draw from the real resturants in the area) anyday.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/16 13:05
Group:
Registered Users
What they really need to do to Newark Ave. is get rid of all the 99 cent stores and crappy newsstands that do nothing but sell lottery tickets and open up some respectable businesses like TGI Friday's or something. I have a feeling the junkies, hookers, and creepy old guys would soon follow.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
A pedestrian streetscape on Newark Ave would be awesome, but when has Jersey City ever thought "outside the box" on anything?

Show up at a certain diner with a stuffed manila envelope, and maybe it'll get done.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 5:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
It actually makes perfect sense to turn Newark Ave into a restaurant row and shopping destination! It would be fantastic to shut Newark Ave down from at lease Jersey Ave to the Path. You have to have the foresight to realize that there are potentially thousands of new Downtown Jersey City residents moving into the area over the next 10 years. There will be multiple high rise condo and rental buildings developed with some reaching 60-80 stories.

The way Newport and the Exchange place area was built leaves little room for a walkable and sustainable shopping/restaurant district but the Newark Ave shopping district already exists and it would be pretty easy to get the 99 cent stores and meaningless bodegas out while we bring more practical and usable retail in! Call me crazy but I think we could model it after Boston's Newberry Street. It makes perfect sense!

Your right. Newark Ave has so much potential. The streetscape was a missed opportunity. They really should have tried to think outside the box. I would like to see it closed from Jersey Ave to Grove St. Another example would be Cape May, New Jersey. It would be perfect for shopping. Restaurants would also be able to pick up more outdoor dinning space. Add more trees to Newark Ave!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/26 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
It actually makes perfect sense to turn Newark Ave into a restaurant row and shopping destination! It would be fantastic to shut Newark Ave down from at lease Jersey Ave to the Path. You have to have the foresight to realize that there are potentially thousands of new Downtown Jersey City residents moving into the area over the next 10 years. There will be multiple high rise condo and rental buildings developed with some reaching 60-80 stories.

The way Newport and the Exchange place area was built leaves little room for a walkable and sustainable shopping/restaurant district but the Newark Ave shopping district already exists and it would be pretty easy to get the 99 cent stores and meaningless bodegas out while we bring more practical and usable retail in! Call me crazy but I think we could model it after Boston's Newberry Street. It makes perfect sense!

Posted on: 2010/5/26 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Wait why are we closing a street? Because it has three or four restaurants on it?

Posted on: 2010/5/26 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that this would be good for business, but wouldn't we need a big parking lot next to our pedestrian only street?

Posted on: 2010/5/26 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shuklad wrote:
i just moved to JC (as you can probably tell from my post count) and my initial thought on redoing Newark Ave should be that they need to kill the cars and make it a pedestrian only street (continue to allow the cross traffic at the intersections however)

if you've ever been down to Austin, TX on a fri/sat night, they shut down 6th st to all traffic and only allow pedestrians. do that on newark, and brick the street, allow bikes, etc

that being said, itll never happen

You may have just moved here, but you are a quick learner. Its a good idea, by the way.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 12:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/19 10:01
Group:
Registered Users
i just moved to JC (as you can probably tell from my post count) and my initial thought on redoing Newark Ave should be that they need to kill the cars and make it a pedestrian only street (continue to allow the cross traffic at the intersections however)

if you've ever been down to Austin, TX on a fri/sat night, they shut down 6th st to all traffic and only allow pedestrians. do that on newark, and brick the street, allow bikes, etc

that being said, itll never happen

Posted on: 2010/5/26 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Actually a lot of the storefronts east of Jersey Ave are in the process of being rehabilitated. If you walk / drive / bike by there during a weekday there are 3 or 4 that are under construction but usually on the weekends or in the evenings they are back to looking like abandoned buildings. It is true that there is not yet a critical mass to draw in outside shoppers yet, which probably hurts specialty shops and boutiques more than anything, but the restaurants seem busier each year that passes. Also significant now are the opening of two new larger residential buildings -- 215 Newark Avenue and Crescent Court back under the Turnpike. These aren't adding huge numbers of people like Grove Pointe, but still its adding big groups of people that basically must walk down Newark Avenue to and from the the PATH.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Unless there are destination stores, I do not see how the area makes sense for commercial establishments. There is no parking and the area is not that densely populated. People can just drive to Newport.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 23:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/27 2:05
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I rode down Newark Avenue Yesterday during the Bike tour and Still Have not noticed any changes. This Street is a mess, the city should really do something about getting ride of all the crappy stores on the street. This area has no chance.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 17:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 2:44
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Any updates on the bidding and when work might start? Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the information, JimA.
I agree with tommyc_37. Newark Ave needs to be "done right." I'm really happy about the trees. I have hopes that lighting will also be included. I see Newark Ave as a great connector for pedestrians & bikes between downtown, Journal Square and the Heights. I use it all the time--but it can feel quite isolated.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 17:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I honestly just don't see this streetscape project as an improvement on anything.

2 things would make Newark Ave look a TON better:

1) LOTS of trees (at least one every 25 feet or so, on both sides of the street)

2) Red brick paver sidewalks (not shoddily finished drab concrete)

I know those 2 things are a bit pricey, but I'd rather wait a few years and have those improvements done, than have the city spend probably a FORTUNE for really no improvement to the eye.

Between this, and the Columbus Drive debacle, that's not one but TWO missed opportunities, that we'll be forced to look at and deal with for many years.

Phase III as I know it up to the hill to Harsimus Cemetery does have plans for adding many trees and for the brick thermo paver style crosswalks. This being a Federally funded project means however that ONLY Newark will be redone and it wont reach around to the side streets like Phase I & II. I can not speak about the street scape from Harsimus Cemetery on up as I have not seen the plans.

JimA

Posted on: 2010/4/28 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I honestly just don't see this streetscape project as an improvement on anything.

2 things would make Newark Ave look a TON better:

1) LOTS of trees (at least one every 25 feet or so, on both sides of the street)

2) Red brick paver sidewalks (not shoddily finished drab concrete)

I know those 2 things are a bit pricey, but I'd rather wait a few years and have those improvements done, than have the city spend probably a FORTUNE for really no improvement to the eye.

Between this, and the Columbus Drive debacle, that's not one but TWO missed opportunities, that we'll be forced to look at and deal with for many years.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

theregoesjc wrote:
Does anyone know if this project is going to make its way up into the court house area? As a resident of Jersey City I am pissed at the lack of anything being done to the hilltop area of Jersey City....

The bids for Phase III have been changed for May 5th. The work wont begin until June or July if the bidding process goes smoothly.

JimA

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

theregoesjc wrote:
Does anyone know if this project is going to make its way up into the court house area? As a resident of Jersey City I am pissed at the lack of anything being done to the hilltop area of Jersey City....

trust us, you're not missing anything.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:33

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017