Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Grove Street PATH noise!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/21 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if you problem is related to this but there is a real noise issue coming from the PATH ventilation facility at Columbus and Warren Street. We live in Metropolis Towers and are affected by it almost daily (there are some periods when this thing is not very active, but usually in the summer is). it's been going on for years. There is someone that is doing something about it - here is a link to her blog:
http://pathnjventilationnoise.blogspo ... years-spring-of-2008.html

Posted on: 2014/5/4 19:29

Edited by belvedere on 2014/5/4 19:48:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/28 3:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitchcock wrote:
I can at least recommend some great earplugs; I have a noise situation that is ongoing but that my earplugs take care of.

Here's a slate.com article reviewing a range of earplugs:

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800

I ultimately went with the Hearos, and I swear by them. The noise goes on, but I sleep like a rock every night.

Best of luck.

LOL more ear plug recommendations. I should just rename the title to "What is the best ear plugs for noise cancellation?"

But seriously, I was just looking to see if anyone near by that day had the same issue. And if it does become a problem. Is there anyone I can contact to maybe speak with them and work something else out. That's all. Hopefully this will be a one time thing and I won't even need to bring this up again.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 20:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
I can at least recommend some great earplugs; I have a noise situation that is ongoing but that my earplugs take care of.

Here's a slate.com article reviewing a range of earplugs:

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800

I ultimately went with the Hearos, and I swear by them. The noise goes on, but I sleep like a rock every night.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
if it becomes a regular thing, then yes, absolutely raise a fuss. but it sounds like this was a one-off event, like the noisy street repairs that sometimes occur in the middle of the night. welcome to city living.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 5:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously, what a huge deal. This was a one time occurrence and you want to mention it at the council meeting. No offense, but I'm starting to understand why elected officials get tired of constituents requests.

I lived at the same place for over 10 years and every so often have to listen to some annoying noise from that red tower on Columbus & Warren (which I think has something to do with the PATH trains) but I realize thats just where I live.

What if something happened at the station and they needed a generator. Should they stops trains from passing through Grove St. until 7am? Seriously, I think your lucky because you wouldn't be too happy if the PATH train had those vents like NYC where you hear a train going by every few minutes.

Besides, I have a feeling you moved there because of the PATH train.

As far at 95 Columbus. Just thought I should mention. About a week ago there was an electrical fire/explosion as they were doing maintenance. And yes, they had generators for the following Monday.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 4:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Should the Port Authority clean the station from midnight to 3am? ... YES

Should the Porty Authority make such a loud noise at that time of the morning... NO

I suggest going to whomever is cleaning and telling them that they are violating a Jersey City noise ordinance and tell them that you will call the police. If you do not want to go through that trouble than call me and I will do it.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 2:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously dude...that's part of living next to a major transportation hub. I can attest to the fact they do they same thing on the NYC Subways...that time period is when it's least busy...they really don't care about people and being considerate...just the bottom line. I used to live right by a open subway station. You sorta get used to the subway and urban noises...or else, get ear plugs (which wasn't a bad suggestion).

Posted on: 2010/5/21 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmangnx wrote:
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Duane Reade is downstairs. Maybe a 3 dollar pair of earplugs would help your situation. Just a thought.

I just love these useful suggestions. The users on this forum are top notch. And here I thought it would be a nice JC community.

Was really just trying to help you.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 21:32
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Did you see the generator? Many office buildings have backup generators that they run sometimes. I am wondering if 95 Christopher Columbus Dr has one.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/26 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmangnx wrote:

I just love these useful suggestions. The users on this forum are top notch. And here I thought it would be a nice JC community.

I'm not sure what answer you are looking for but you have received quite a few good suggestions. You bought a condo by a train station and are upset that there is noise. In particular you are upset that they are cleaning the station late at night when there are few travellers rather than at a busier hour which would hamper rush hour traffic. In so doing, you fail to recognize that road construction, bridge and train station cleaning, etc. generally seek to impose a burden upon the fewest number of people. For some reason, I have a feeling that you would also complain if they did the work when you wanted to use the train.

Although you complain that there have been no useful suggestions, people, at your request for suggestions, have suggested that you:

(1) move to a quieter street;
(2) go to the station and ask them to stop working or to do so in a manner that is quieter;
(3) call the PATH customer service number;
(4) leave feedback on the PATH's website;
(5) call the Mayor's hotline;
(6) form a group of concerned citizens with your neighbors to act as a collective whole to implement change;
(7) install sound proof windows;
(8) fill out a complaint form at the PATH station;
(9) raise the issue with the condominium association and try to get them involved in addressing the issue; and
(10) buy earplugs to help you sleep.

If you have been able to come up with a better suggestion since you sought out help from this "nice JC community" you should share it with us. If you haven't, rather than complain about the suggestions, you should recognize that nearly every option has been suggested. Instead of continuing to complain about people's ideas or the realities of living in a major city, it might be more beneficial to direct your energies to acting on one of the many suggestions.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Isn't this the same reason trash and recycling pick up was moved to night time? Fewer people on the street, avoiding traffic congestion?

I am sure it is in the same reasoning, however trash pickup from what I have seen is usually not that late. Maybe from 10-12? But even then it's moving noise as opposed to stationary noise.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Duane Reade is downstairs. Maybe a 3 dollar pair of earplugs would help your situation. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/21 19:28
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't this the same reason trash and recycling pick up was moved to night time? Fewer people on the street, avoiding traffic congestion?

Posted on: 2010/5/21 19:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
hmangnx,

Gee, let me see - cleaning the station at midnight - 3 AM - 3 or 4 people in the PATH station.

cleaning the PATH station at 7 - 8 AM - hundreds to thousands of people in the station.

As much as you don't like it (it is the CITY after all), it makes sense.

DUH

Good one, got anymore? Read the whole post before responding. How would you like it if they decided to run a large generator by your house and starting cleaning the streets suddenly because there are less people in the street. Captain obvious, it makes sense to clean late at night. But so is repaving a street. But you know what that is usually done during the middle of the day. Bah, never mind... No point in replying to non constructive replies. Thanks for your help bro.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Instead of calling why don't you go the Square and complain in person. You can probably fill out a complaint form right there. Is there a condo association that you can file something ? And do you own the condo or just rent the apartment ?

Yeah, I am def going down there tonight if it happens again. I really don't want this to become a regularly scheduled maintenance. I will def mention it during our next board meeting.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
hmangnx,

Gee, let me see - cleaning the station at midnight - 3 AM - 3 or 4 people in the PATH station.

cleaning the PATH station at 7 - 8 AM - hundreds to thousands of people in the station.

As much as you don't like it (it is the CITY after all), it makes sense.

DUH

Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Instead of calling why don't you go the Square and complain in person. You can probably fill out a complaint form right there. Is there a condo association that you can file something ? And do you own the condo or just rent the apartment ?

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Did you look up the PATH customer service number? Also I think they have a feedback form on their website, so you might want want to explore there.

You could call the mayors hotline. There may be a noise ordinance after a certain time, and you may be able to put in an official complaint, as well as call the police non-emergency number if indeed there is an ordinance. If you really want to get serious you could get other neighbors whom it bothers and do something as a group.

But in all honesty (such a lonely word) they probably do it night because of less trains/crowds so nothing will probably come from it, but you never know till you give it a shot.

Sound proof windows may not be a bad idea. A little expense for a little peace could be worth it.

Actually no, that was what I was looking for. What is the phone number for PATH customer service. The bigger one I was looking for was the phone number for the non-emergency police number so at least I can log a complaint.

As I've said in the other replies this is something new, and I am seriously trying to prevent this from being a normally scheduled thing. And if it just happens to be a one time thing, then just consider this a quick rant. I know in the past they were doing it at around 9-10p. But we'll see...

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
You can't expect the hub of the downtown community to be quiet. It is noisy by nature. If you want it to be quiet, you have to move to a quieter part of town or even a quieter side of the building.

I totally understand what you mean. I'm not one of those people who bought in a city but expected country quietness. It's just the sudden surprise of such noise. This isn't Hard Grove Cafe noise, this was much much worse. Like I've said I have been here for years, this was seriously out of the ordinary and I am hoping this is not going to be something new. That is why I am looking for some suggestions.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I can understand you not expecting to hear the rumbling of the engines to clean the station but you should have expected to hear taxi cabs after all you did move to a busy area. Perhaps what you are hearing are the trains running back and forth. When I moved to my new place I had to contend with the garbage trucks and the yelling of the garbage man and there's nothing I can do. If only we can "try out" our new pad before hand. How long have you lived at this location and do you own it ? And if you do own and decide to unload it will you make the midnight PATH rumbling part of your selling point ?? I hope for your financial sake you rent.

I've actually lived in Grove Pointe for the last 3 years. I can usually sleep through anything. The noise yesterday just happened to be unbearable. I mean this sucker was a generator, just imagine a neighbor starting up their tractor or some large truck and it's just running all night. I mean it felt as if the walls were rumbling. I knew when I bought the condo that it would be noisy as it is located in a busy street. And you're right cabs honking is pretty expected. I have actually gotten used to this. However, what happened last night was just something unexpected. Imagine; no matter where you lived if suddenly they decided to rip up the road by your house with a jackhammer and had trucks repaving etc, etc in the middle of the night. I am pretty sure you wouldn't be a happy camper. There is nothing wrong with doing maintenance, it's just the time of day which surprised me.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmangnx wrote:
Geez this is a really constructive forum. I've lived in JC for over 6 years, I'm not worried about getting mugged. I was just wondering if there is any person I can call to complain about this. But instead I get constructive posts as such.

"Yeah, because (partially) closing a PATH station for cleaning at 7am - at the height of rush hour - is a really good idea."

"Really? you're bummed by CLEANING of a path station from 12-3? You're going to be really annoyed when you get mugged."

"Move to a quieter street. It will always be noisy there."

Just looking for friendly suggestions. I mean seriously might as well tell me to install sound proof windows. Or punch out my condo and move it to another location. Heck teleport me to the LOST island land. That might be nice.

But seriously isn't there any place I can call regarding noise? I guess not...

Did you look up the PATH customer service number? Also I think they have a feedback form on their website, so you might want want to explore there.

You could call the mayors hotline. There may be a noise ordinance after a certain time, and you may be able to put in an official complaint, as well as call the police non-emergency number if indeed there is an ordinance. If you really want to get serious you could get other neighbors whom it bothers and do something as a group.

But in all honesty (such a lonely word) they probably do it night because of less trains/crowds so nothing will probably come from it, but you never know till you give it a shot.

Sound proof windows may not be a bad idea. A little expense for a little peace could be worth it.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience, going down there and telling them to knock it off works best.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
You can't expect the hub of the downtown community to be quiet. It is noisy by nature. If you want it to be quiet, you have to move to a quieter part of town or even a quieter side of the building.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I can understand you not expecting to hear the rumbling of the engines to clean the station but you should have expected to hear taxi cabs after all you did move to a busy area. Perhaps what you are hearing are the trains running back and forth. When I moved to my new place I had to contend with the garbage trucks and the yelling of the garbage man and there's nothing I can do. If only we can "try out" our new pad before hand. How long have you lived at this location and do you own it ? And if you do own and decide to unload it will you make the midnight PATH rumbling part of your selling point ?? I hope for your financial sake you rent.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Geez this is a really constructive forum. I've lived in JC for over 6 years, I'm not worried about getting mugged. I was just wondering if there is any person I can call to complain about this. But instead I get constructive posts as such.

"Yeah, because (partially) closing a PATH station for cleaning at 7am - at the height of rush hour - is a really good idea."

"Really? you're bummed by CLEANING of a path station from 12-3? You're going to be really annoyed when you get mugged."

"Move to a quieter street. It will always be noisy there."

Just looking for friendly suggestions. I mean seriously might as well tell me to install sound proof windows. Or punch out my condo and move it to another location. Heck teleport me to the LOST island land. That might be nice.

But seriously isn't there any place I can call regarding noise? I guess not...

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmangnx wrote:
Ok I don't know what dumb manager or what not decided that cleaning the path train station during the hours of 12a - 3a is a good idea. I live in the grove pointe building...

wah wah wah...

If only grove pointe hadn't been built.

Really? you're bummed by CLEANING of a path station from 12-3? You're going to be really annoied when you get mugged.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmangnx wrote:

Anyway anyone have any suggestions!?

Move to a quieter street. It will always be noisy there.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, because (partially) closing a PATH station for cleaning at 7am - at the height of rush hour - is a really good idea.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's actually more frequent than you think. Although I am not so sure they are cleaning the station. But whatever they are doing they have to turn on this loud generator. And usually if they do run it, it's earlier at night. But this time it was just ridiculous! 12a!? Really?!?

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017